Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

ThermoPhysical posted:

Windows and Mac can share files between each other??

This would be amazing for my workflow.
Since before this millennium, in fact

So Ventura is ready (for me) to use... am I reading the tea leaves correctly (13.0.1) Thanks.
:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I foolishly upgraded my Macmini8,1 to Ventura, and now my internet doesn't work :confused:

I connected to my router wireless, modem wireless, building wireless (completely different ISP), and tethered to my iPhone. All of them exhibit the exact same behavior. All my other computers are fine.

This is the crux of it, I think.

$ ping 142.250.189.238
PING 142.250.189.238 (142.250.189.238): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=59.306 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=30.551 ms
ping: sendto: No route to host
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=8 ttl=57 time=22.302 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=9 ttl=57 time=36.400 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=10 ttl=57 time=65.345 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=11 ttl=57 time=57.356 ms
64 bytes from 142.250.189.238: icmp_seq=12 ttl=57 time=59.652 ms
^C
--- 142.250.189.238 ping statistics ---
13 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 46.2% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 22.302/47.273/65.345/15.801 ms

ping will just keep going, but everything else gives up on the first "no route to host" so basically the computer can't get online. If I do a force ping to 127.0.0.1, it's 0.00% packet loss, even sending 1 millions packets, so in theory the network stack is working fine. The routing table looks normal to me. I used netcat between my two computers, and TCP can sustain the connection, but there can be visible delay in the delivery of just a few bytes of letters. I'm not sure what else to do. I turned it off and on again, but no change.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

arp scan your network, you look like a bad mac address

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Don't install this, Avast bought out the developer a few months ago.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

TACD posted:

Super Agent claims to be able to do exactly this.

Hush is very effective at simply blocking the cookie warning banners.
Thank you!

Criss-cross posted:

Why is that a problem?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Xabi posted:

Why is that a problem?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjdkq7/avast-antivirus-sells-user-browsing-data-investigation

Then a few days later https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxejbb/avast-antivirus-is-shutting-down-jumpshot-data-collection-arm-effective-immediately

but the fact they were doing that in the first place should be a red flag against the company

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

jaegerx posted:

arp scan your network, you look like a bad mac address

Wouldn't that be isolated to a broadcast domain, though? I connected to at least 3 entirely different networks. I also tried a wired connection this morning, but nothing changes. Anyway, I figured it out. It was (out-of-date) Little Snitch. It definitely had the feel of some process bouncing. I was looking through the loaded kext output but I don't really know enough to do anything with that.

It's funny because upon first boot I got a popup about how something wasn't compatible and was disabled, or something. I took a screenshot of it to look up later (the name wasn't obvious), but apparently deleted it. :shobon:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Xabi posted:

Could anyone of you recommend me a Safari extension that automatically rejects all non-essential cookies? A recommendation for Firefox and Chrome would also be appreciated, as I have to use those for work. It's driving me loving insane.

Firefox can be configured to delete all cookies on exit, with a whitelist. So if you're willing to take a few minutes to set up the whitelist, you don't need an extension. (One of about a dozen reasons why I use Firefox by default)

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Criss-cross posted:

News to me. I wonder what people are using now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Armauk posted:

News to me. I wonder what people are using now.

There's an "EasyList Cookie" list in uBlock Origin

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

haven't used a mac in many a moon, so forgive me if this is stupid. but long ago, itunes was a real hog. how is it nowadays? got a huge gift card from my work and am thinking about springing for a mac mini as primarily a jukebox/headphone station for my office. 16gb seems absurd, so i think i'm fine with the 8gb, but god, do i remember the horror of old itunes and just want to make sure 8gb will be fine. and most of this will be from the apple music service, so i won't even be storing files on the machine.

i guess i might watch a video or two on it...randomly. so yea.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

haven't used a mac in many a moon, so forgive me if this is stupid. but long ago, itunes was a real hog. how is it nowadays? got a huge gift card from my work and am thinking about springing for a mac mini as primarily a jukebox/headphone station for my office. 16gb seems absurd, so i think i'm fine with the 8gb, but god, do i remember the horror of old itunes and just want to make sure 8gb will be fine. and most of this will be from the apple music service, so i won't even be storing files on the machine.

i guess i might watch a video or two on it...randomly. so yea.

iTunes is dead and Music.app is ok.

The m1 mini is a total beast and I would be surprised if it even got warm in that use case, you’ll be fine

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks.

yea, this is much better than old itunes, that's for sure. i can't seem to get rid of the massive header for any playlist, though. is it possible?

also, how have they still not added sorting by multiple columns??!?! :argh:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I don't know if this is an OS issue (but it could be), or it could be the device. I'll ask here because there are plenty of eyeballs attached to clever noggins.

Info: MacBook Pro M1 14 inch, 2021 (16GB / 10 Core) connected to CalDigit TS3 Plus dock and MixPre 6 II (digital recorder) connected via usb-c to dock (and usb-c to usb-a). Just upgraded last week to Ventura 13.0.1 (though happened a couple of times previously).

What I'm doing: File Transfer on MixPre mounts its drive in Finder, start copying ~18GB folder of .wav files (progress status seems to be slow for the potential speeds). After n amount of minutes, spontaneously unmounts, Finder whines about "not ejecting the disk properly" etc. Firmware up to date on the dock. Nothing else seems amiss.
No other issues at all with this laptop or the OS.

Any idea what makes a disk unmount like that (?)

I just did some searching in the console and it appears that console is just not running logs (unless you choose to include info/debug) and "start streaming" ? The dumbing down of America macOS. And who decided I wouldn't want to have a progress window every time I was copying a file —? Since time immemorial - now "ehh.. whatever...."
We always had minimize. Now we have a cute pie to click to get there, or use the Window menu.

Any hints or insight much appreciated as to what "disrupts" the drive during copy process.
Should I use rsync from the terminal (?)

Oh yeah, if I'm not copying the device doesn't ever disconnect from the computer.

edit: Well this makes me feel "not alone" :(

Djimi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 27, 2022

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Glad it's not just me. I've been trying to transfer a 100GB file over the network from an external SSD. This takes about 6 hours but macOS never goes that long without spontaneously disconnecting the SSD. Extremely frustrating.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Fleedar posted:

Glad it's not just me. I've been trying to transfer a 100GB file over the network from an external SSD. This takes about 6 hours but macOS never goes that long without spontaneously disconnecting the SSD. Extremely frustrating.

This is basic I/O operations, how could it possibly not be rock-solid in 2022? That doesn't make sense. Are they trying to make external storage / devices be frustrating on purpose or did they lose some low-level programmers in the macOS group and they don't know what they're doing?

This isn't a petty / whining / trivial issue. This is file copying from A to B. :wtf:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

kefkafloyd posted:

Serif released version 2 of the Affinity suite.

Key takeaways:

No subscription. V1 will continue to work, but there will be no further updates. V2 is a paid upgrade for version 1.0 users. Now offering a Universal license that covers all 3 apps for all platforms.

They’re running a $99 special for the universal license. I don’t see any specific discounts for v1 users, so I’m guessing the discount price will be the upgrade price eventually.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Thanks Ants posted:

I used to :filez: Photoshop to do stupid little edits, bought Pixelmator and then bought Affinity Photo. Pixelmator always felt a bit like stepping back to Paint Shop Pro, Affinity Photo seems more powerful. I am aware I do not use half the features it has.

So if anyone is interested in another option, I just noticed Photoshop Elements 2023 is in the App Store for $59.99 USD. It's M1 native now.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Djimi posted:

Should I use rsync from the terminal (?)
I did this, and it was successful. :yaycloud: :neckbeard:
Note: Drag 'n Drop is broken in macOS.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Djimi posted:

What I'm doing: File Transfer on MixPre mounts its drive in Finder, start copying ~18GB folder of .wav files (progress status seems to be slow for the potential speeds). After n amount of minutes, spontaneously unmounts, Finder whines about "not ejecting the disk properly" etc.

I know you got it to work with rsync, but TBH this could be some kind of lurking bad interaction between computer/cables/dock/device which causes random (but rare) connection drops under heavy load. You might have just gotten lucky during the rsync copy.

quote:

I just did some searching in the console and it appears that console is just not running logs (unless you choose to include info/debug) and "start streaming" ? The dumbing down of America macOS.

Nah, this is ironically because Apple made logging incredibly smart. You can get the gory deets in this WWDC video: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/721/

The new Console.app that came with this fancy new logging system is much more powerful than before, as it's an interface to all that fanciness, but as a consequence it's confusing and less obvious to navigate. If I used it on a regular basis I'd probably learn to love it, but as I don't, I also have lots of issues figuring out how to find info about errors which just happened.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

BobHoward posted:

Nah, this is ironically because Apple made logging incredibly smart. You can get the gory deets in this WWDC video: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/721/
Nah, right back at you. I'm not going to say it was rsync > macOS definitively, but I will say you're high if you think was any cable connection. As a professional for 30 years (as of March next year as an QA, Desktop, Database, Systems, Programming, Network, DevOps, CISO—Engineer)—I wouldn't write to this forum if I didn't already have this issue dozens (100s?) of times. Frankly this is the last place I would turn to, not the first. And asking for help of any kind is already a failure, IMO. Did I tell you I turned down ghost writing 5 technical chapters of the OS X Bible (the first one)... I passed on it and you would know why if you saw OS X Cheetah beta in the fall of 2000. I was tasked with writing all of the hard stuff—such as all of the System Preference panes and the Utilities, that weren't even included in the betas as that time. The Bible series by Lon Poole wasn't really that good anyway. He was a friend of a Dummies writer that I worked for at the time, and ultimately it was good instincts that I didn't sign that contract. Anyway....

If anything it could be a fickle issue with the MixPre 6 "drive." Jury is still out until I do more copies with it: either failing at the OS GUI level or being successful repeatedly if I stick with CLI. Science and repeatable trials will out.

BobHoward posted:

The new Console.app that came with this fancy new logging system is much more powerful than before, as it's an interface to all that fanciness, but as a consequence it's confusing and less obvious to navigate. If I used it on a regular basis I'd probably learn to love it, but as I don't, I also have lots of issues figuring out how to find info about errors which just happened.
It looks powerful, but why is it not already logging? Or do I have to dig in to /var/log/system logs and grep it myself. Nope, just checked.

I'm still laughing over how stupid the skinny System Preferences Settings fixed width window is. Oh, I can change the height? Amazing. If I could drag the window horizontally, how many man-hours of programming would that cost you Tim Apple? Or is "searching" the expected method of using Settings, instead of memorizing its layout and just clicking on what you need.
:sigh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I was surprised at how lovely the new SysPrefs window is when I first opened it.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

AlternateAccount posted:

Ventura's greatest crime is continuing the trend of being an aggressively boring release, with one or two OH BOY BIG NEW FEATURES that literally no one gives a poo poo about.

I think they are basically out of good ideas, so they are trying to make things nicer for people who are bad at using computers, pursuing deleterious convergence with iOS, or pursuing pre-emptive convergence with whatever AR/VR headset they are going to release. I updated to an M1 after ages of holding onto an older machine and I am astounded at the anti-progress.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

friendlyfire posted:

I think they are basically out of good ideas, so they are trying to make things nicer for people who are bad at using computers, pursuing deleterious convergence with iOS, or pursuing pre-emptive convergence with whatever AR/VR headset they are going to release. I updated to an M1 after ages of holding onto an older machine and I am astounded at the anti-progress.

I still think Snow Leopard is the best operating system they've ever made.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey folks, I’m thinking about picking up parallels whoo it’s on sale as I’m planning to upgrade to a m.2 MBP from my current minspec 2013MBP.

Is the standard version broadly considered “good enough”? I don’t think I’d need anything too fancy in the Windows VM but more power is always nice. I’m not fond of paying a subscription for it however.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Parallels is great if you're willing to spend the money - I keep a Windows instance in my dock and easily open up .exe's I randomly need to use. It's honestly pretty infrequent, but it's nice to have that convenience.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

e: Wrong thread

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 28, 2022

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

friendlyfire posted:

Yep. Used to feel like they were lapping the competition. Every release was HOLY poo poo. I mean remember the first time you saw Time Machine???

And yes. 10.6 was the peak.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think they're still lapping the competition, but these days it's only because Microsoft is making Windows worser faster than Apple is making Mac OS X worser.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

~Coxy posted:

I think they're still lapping the competition, but these days it's only because Microsoft is making Windows worser faster than Apple is making Mac OS X worser.
Spot on. (And all the previous comments). The hardware is still amazing, I'm very happy with that.

I wish I could read a John Siracusa review of Ventura.
I guess this is the next best thing—I should have read this before I installed it (to steel my resolve):
https://twitter.com/siracusa/status/1534261202167152649

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I wonder if it’s just because of the yearly release schedule vs ~2 and not charging. You don’t have to justify $99 or even 10.6’s $29 any more.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AlternateAccount posted:

I wonder if it’s just because of the yearly release schedule vs ~2 and not charging. You don’t have to justify $99 or even 10.6’s $29 any more.

The yearly release schedule might have something to do with it. I've seen it sandbag the Pokémon video game series fairly hard.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

franco posted:

Monterey and a few previous were absolute poo poo about restoring things if you had to reboot for an update or something and this kicks rear end.

Safari was particularly dreadful for getting multiple tabs/windows to be like they were. Especially if they were minimised. Even the restore last session option forgot loads of stuff. I'd be having to save the URLs before rebooting to be safe.

whatever safari came with the monterey 12.6.1 update loving eats the poo poo out of my tabs on close/reboot. safari has never done this and i've been using it literally since day one. what the gently caress. and yeah restore last session doesn't work. i literally filed a loving bug report 10 mins ago

Quackles posted:

I still think Snow Leopard is the best operating system they've ever made.

you would be correct

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apple really should switch to a tick-tock model where every other os release is just optimizations and bugfixes and refactoring

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

apple really should switch to a tick-tock model where every other os release is just optimizations and bugfixes and refactoring

it used to be that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Especially since half the headline features for every new version don’t ship until several point releases in now (for macOS and iOS, actually).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FMguru posted:

It was.

Leopard/Snow Leopard
Lion/Mountain Lion

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Monterey/Monterey Jack
Yosemite/Yosemite Sam
Ventura/Ventura Highway

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM