Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Oddly enough, I just spun up a new Linux VM in an unRAID setup today. May not suit your needs but it most certainly works for what the client wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best virtualization tool for running x86 linux VMs on a modern Apple Silicon host? Ideally using Rosetta so that performance isn't dogshit?

There isn't a way to do precisely what you described. Rosetta doesn't provide the full-machine emulation you'd need to run an entire x86 VM, it's limited to running userspace x86 binaries on an arm64 OS.

What you can do is run an arm64 linux guest, and install Rosetta for Linux in that guest to enable it to run x86 binaries at high speed. As already suggested, UTM is a good place to start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BobHoward posted:

There isn't a way to do precisely what you described. Rosetta doesn't provide the full-machine emulation you'd need to run an entire x86 VM, it's limited to running userspace x86 binaries on an arm64 OS.

What you can do is run an arm64 linux guest, and install Rosetta for Linux in that guest to enable it to run x86 binaries at high speed. As already suggested, UTM is a good place to start.

That isnít strictly true - Rosetta doesnít do full machine emulation; but UTM does (and has done for at least several years now). You can configure it in the settings and have it run in emulation mode, and then create an X86 VM. The performance penalty is abysmal however - or at least it was when I tried it back when I bought my M1 Max Mac Studio. It may very well have improved significantly back then but at the time, running a contemporary OS (I tested a couple of linux distros aimed at low spec machines) was borderline unusable. Potentially if your needs were super limited - ie having a linux distro with no GUI doing very basic non time sensitive stuff you could make it work.

Older systems worked surprisingly well - you could get a perfectly serviceable windows 95 VM running for eg. maybe even windows xp.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Lord Bude posted:

That isnít strictly true - Rosetta doesnít do full machine emulation; but UTM does (and has done for at least several years now).

this isn't a good well actually because it doesn't contradict anything I said, OP ideally wanted Rosetta performance while running an x86 VM and that's not possible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kibner posted:

UTM is a pretty good and simple one to use: https://mac.getutm.app/gallery/

There are a few things you can't do (like passthrough USB devices, iirc) but that is a limitation on Apple's side because they haven't exposed a way to do that, yet.

Wait, that can do Mac OS 9? Is it any more stable than SheepShaver?