Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof

Space Racist posted:

LIon's up!

East Coast, USA here and Apple Store and App Store still showing nothing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lion is out.

EDIT: :argh: At least I had an App Store link!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Yea, I pee'd myself a little. :3:

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

Out in Europe

Pete Campbell
Feb 23, 2006

Same price as a chip and dip!
And new Mac mini. I didn't expect that.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Downloading so slowly. I get to be the guinea pig for Lion at my job, so that should make today a bit more fun (if it finishes by 5).

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

3.5gb

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I was all stoked to install it on a machine at work before I play around with my own Mac but then I realized that I have no idea how to buy it for the enterprise. :sigh:

Guess I have to make some phone calls. How are other companies handling it?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Tried purchasing just now from the App Store (in australia if that makes a difference)

quote:

This item is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later.

:(

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Granite Octopus posted:

Tried purchasing just now from the App Store (in australia if that makes a difference)

Same :( in Canada

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm in Canada and also getting the 'temporarily unavailable' error. Has anyone who is not American actually managed to download it?

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
I enjoy the eating of babies.

Granite Octopus posted:

Same (also Australia). It's taking a bit longer to try and process the purchase now but I'm hoping that's because the store is being slammed rather than it's going to error out again :|

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

I would say it's probably getting mashed but I'm getting 6-7MB/s so it's ok if you can actually get through

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is there any reason I should worry about running Lion on my January 2008 white Macbook? There doesn't seem to be anything graphically intense but I'm still kind of worried.

No. It works just fine on my mid-2007 MacBook.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 20, 2011

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Just got through, it's downloading now (Canada).

Broccoli Must Die!
Aug 12, 2004

Meow.
I got my redemption code for the free upgrade, and it took me straight to a download once I'd redeemed that code. Doesn't seem to be doing much, but hey, I'm patient.

In Australia.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
This is downloading wayyyy faster than I thought it would. When I come back from the gym it will be done!

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Neither of the up-to-date methods recognise the serial number of the macbook pro I bought on the 19th of June. Anyone else having the same issue?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

After about 15 more tries it worked! Downloading now at ~100kb/sec, so around 12 hours :(

Ah well, not in a rush. Time for bed now anyway...

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof
Anyone else experiencing this?

The Lion download is requiring me to enter my AppleID and password, but it's telling me they're incorrect. I reset the password, successfully logged in to both iTunes and purchased something, and also accessed account maintenance on Apple's site successfully. Back to the app store to get Lion? Password is wrong, you must reset. Apple! :argh:

EDIT: And then... on the fourth try, Jobs said, let there be Lion.

VanguardTruth fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 20, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Fungah posted:

Neither of the up-to-date methods recognise the serial number of the macbook pro I bought on the 19th of June. Anyone else having the same issue?

My up to date worked flawlessly, few seconds, and lion is sitting here happily downloading. Thought it was quite impressive.

Make sure you have the story name in there right?

Edit: Woo Lion server is available as well, $49.99

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 20, 2011

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I'm on a work PC...is there any way I can download this to a flash drive?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Broccoli Must Die! posted:

I got my redemption code for the free upgrade, and it took me straight to a download once I'd redeemed that code. Doesn't seem to be doing much, but hey, I'm patient.

In Australia.

Where did you get your redemption code? I bought a new MBP last week and haven't gotten anything.

Cripple Fight
Sep 5, 2006

Taking 30 minutes to install after 10 downloading

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, in case you missed the press release while you were in a mad rush to download Lion, there will be a physical release - a $69 USB thumbstick version coming "later this month".

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

The Kins posted:

a $69 USB thumbstick version coming "later this month".

drat...I kind of like the sound of that.

Broccoli Must Die!
Aug 12, 2004

Meow.

KidDynamite posted:

Where did you get your redemption code? I bought a new MBP last week and haven't gotten anything.

Here: http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/uptodate/

That's the AU link.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I have a quick question about Lion. I know they removed the current samba program but did they replace it with something else in Lion? The only stuff on Google coming up are rumor sites from when the samba news first broke. Thanks

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

The Kins posted:

Oh, in case you missed the press release while you were in a mad rush to download Lion, there will be a physical release - a $69 USB thumbstick version coming "later this month".

Yea, christ. I would much rather have that. Assuming it's a full OS install. I guess I get to keep waiting.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

MrEnigma posted:

My up to date worked flawlessly, few seconds, and lion is sitting here happily downloading. Thought it was quite impressive.

Make sure you have the story name in there right?

Edit: Woo Lion server is available as well, $49.99

Well I bought it online. But it specifically says it can't find the serial number.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Until the App Store stops freaking out, I feel the need to ask a potentially stupid question; Will it allow me to straight up upgrade to Lion from SL without removing things like documents, installed non-Apple apps/settings etc.? This is my first upgrade and I want to be sure I won't lose anything important.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
As soon as someone gets this installed, I'd love for you to go to About This Mac and let us know the build number.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
^^^^^^^^^I second this idea^^^^^^^^^^

Stare-Out posted:

Will it allow me to straight up upgrade to Lion from SL without removing things like documents, installed non-Apple apps/settings etc.?

Yes

Jiggs
May 31, 2001
Where the hell is Bulgaria?
I downloaded the mac app store version, but it won't let me install it.

Error message:

quote:

This disk doesn't use the GUID Partition Table scheme. Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme. Select the disk, choose the Partition tab, select the Volume Scheme and then click Options

Do I have to erase/install from scratch?

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gold and a Pager posted:

Yes
Dandy. Thank you.

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
I enjoy the eating of babies.

echobucket posted:

As soon as someone gets this installed, I'd love for you to go to About This Mac and let us know the build number.

From Twitter:
http://twitter.com/!/akulbe/status/93671370533244929
The build number for the MAS release of Lion is 11A494. The GM seed is newer.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Jiggs posted:

I downloaded the mac app store version, but it won't let me install it.

Error message:

Do I have to erase/install from scratch?
Have you tried doing what the error tells you to do?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Cripple Fight posted:

I would say it's probably getting mashed but I'm getting 6-7MB/s so it's ok if you can actually get through

Is there a way to view the transfer rate in the App Store like there is with iTunes downloads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

unruly posted:

Have you tried doing what the error tells you to do?