Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Looks like Internet Sharing is busted on Lion. Under Snow Leopard I had a configuration set up where I would share my office wireless connection with my desktop via Ethernet on my MacBook Pro.

Worked like a charm, until I upgraded to Lion. Now, while I can get the two machines to see one another and ping one another and even ssh to one another, I can't get the desktop to reach the internet through the MacBook anymore.

This loving sucks. I really need this connection. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mmmm, I just did that exact thing a few hours ago with my Windows XP desktop, so I can at least tell you so much that it could work if it really wanted to.

Edit: of course I didn't upgrade to Lion, I did a clean install, XP on the desktop was just installed too and the connection was the first one ever created to that machine, soooo I guess you could try setting these things up freshly somehow, I don't know.

Edit 2: okay your secretary here explained that it's cool now.

Dog on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

On a new blank hard drive, installing Lion will create a hidden recovery drive partition, forgot the exact size but it's at least 20-30 GB. I'd imagine it'd gently caress up a non-standard setup (anything with partitions other than HFS+) hard, but I'll try it on one of my BootCamped machines and see.

The recovery partition doesn't even occupy a gigabyte. It's just big enough (~790MB) to boot a stripped-down OS X environment and let you download Lion to a functional partition.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 20, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ I stand corrected.. as long as there's some blank space maybe it'll be fine.

Dog on Fire posted:

Mmmm, I just did that exact thing a few hours ago with my Windows XP desktop, so I can at least tell you so much that it could work if it really wanted to.

He already said forty minutes ago, he updated his subnet mask, Lion somehow nerfed it, now he is happy. More people who don't think to hit refresh button.

Accipiter posted:

Just finished upgrading to Lion and already I'm having problems.

My ethernet port is now all but useless. I can assign it an IP and it says "Connected", but I can't ping the Mac from other machines on the network, I can't ping anything from the Mac, and I can't even ping its own IP from the Mac itself.

What the gently caress?

EDIT: Hurf, durf, that was easy. The upgrade installer nuked the subnet mask in the network config. :rolleyes:

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
Edit - god drat it wrong thread.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

How do I do something similar to Spaces now that that is gone? I used to have one space for all my work related programs, one for tweetdeck / other miscellany, and one for music related programs. As it stands now it is just an unorganized clusterfuck of things I don't need constantly visible (like Tweetdeck).

That was probably a very dumb question.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Asnorban posted:

How do I do something similar to Spaces now that that is gone? I used to have one space for all my work related programs, one for tweetdeck / other miscellany, and one for music related programs. As it stands now it is just an unorganized clusterfuck of things I don't need constantly visible (like Tweetdeck).

Make a new "desktop" in Mission Control? That's what I do and it's pretty much like Spaces :shobon:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Updating to OSX Lion doesn't touch your Boot Camp drive. It will still work. Don't even think about it.

Asnorban posted:

I think it's as easy as opening the program, dragging it to a new or previously created desktop "space." After you close it, it should open on that space next time.

Pretty sure those desktop's don't go away until you delete them, even if they're empty.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Asnorban posted:

Not dumb at all. Mission Control is a clusterfuck because all your Spaces settings are totally wiped out instead of being translated over to Mission Control.

With Mission Control open, you can create up to 16 spaces ("Desktops"). With multiple desktops available, you can assign applications to this/all desktops from the Dock.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So for anyone who needs QT7, an existing install of it still works fine.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks Molten Llama, decypher and Konec Hry. That comes pretty drat close to what I had before. I had missed that you could make new desktops.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo Mission Control owns owns owns.

On the other hand, I really can't see using launchpad at all; I've been too used to Quicksilver (and now Alfred) for too many years. Hell, last week I actually opened my App folder for the first time in a few years and noticed there was poo poo in there that I hadn't used since 2007 :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Depends heavily on what you want with it / where you're coming from. If you are a Windows user, TotalFinder rocks your world.

As far as iWork, yes, it's a separate package. It reads Office docs just fine, but it won't save them if I remember correctly.

Personally, I like them just fine for casual use, but if you're going to be doing heavy spreadsheet stuff, or having to do a lot of file exchanging with office apps, it's probably best to just get Office.
Thanks. The extent of my office-ry will mostly be writing and the occasional presentation slideshow. I'll get the one that's cheaper, then (might be able to get Office 2011 cheaper via the It's Not Cheating promo).

As for what I want to do with it, well, I'm coming from a slow clunky piece-of-poo poo Acer laptop and a pretty powerful Windows PC, and I'm mostly looking for some web design, some light gaming (I doubt the Air will run the lion's share of my Steam library), that sort of thing.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Binary Badger posted:

He already said forty minutes ago, he updated his subnet mask, Lion somehow nerfed it, now he is happy. More people who don't think to hit refresh button.

Well, to be fair that was to get the two machines to talk to one another. Internet Sharing itself is still hosed.

And I have figured out why. You're not going to believe how loving hilariously bad this is.

So what I'm trying to do is simple... I have a desktop machine with no connectivity to anything, just a loose ethernet cable. I have my MacBook Pro, which I use to connect to the office wireless network. I then hook my desktop to the MacBook via ethernet, and I enable Internet Sharing on the MacBook so that the desktop can use its internet connection. Worked like a champ in Snow Leopard.

Here's how the baby computer-to-computer network is configured:
Desktop Ethernet: 10.50.0.19
MacBook Ethernet: 10.50.0.1

So while loving around trying to get Internet Sharing working on Lion, I would do pings, traceroutes, etc. while looking at the logs in Console to see if I could see what the gently caress was going on.

Then, by random chance I started a ping from the Desktop to the MacBook just as I fired up Internet Sharing. This is what I saw:

code:
root@crclab02:~# ping 10.50.60.1
PING 10.50.60.1 (10.50.60.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.2.1 icmp_seq=2 Time to live exceeded
From 192.168.2.1 icmp_seq=3 Time to live exceeded
From 192.168.2.1 icmp_seq=4 Time to live exceeded
From 192.168.2.1 icmp_seq=5 Time to live exceeded
^C
--- 10.50.60.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, +4 errors, 100% packet loss, time 4001ms
Needless to say, that's completely goddamned retarded and nonsensical. So on a whim, I changed the IP addresses of both machines leaving all other settings as is:

Desktop Ethernet: 192.168.2.2
MacBook Ethernet: 192.168.2.1

Suddenly Internet Sharing started working just fine. I went back and re-tested a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or missing something, but sure enough, Mac OS 10.7 Internet Sharing from Wireless to Ethernet will only work if your Mac's ethernet address is set to 192.168.2.1. Period.

THANKS, APPLE. :argh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ 10.7.1 can't come soon enough, eh? Although something tells me it won't get fixed till 10.7.2..\

If you use Apple Remote Access, better run Software Update if you want to control Lion-equipped Macs..

Apple posted:

The 3.5 update is recommended for all Apple Remote Desktop users and addresses several issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

El Jackalope posted:

On the other hand, I really can't see using launchpad at all; I've been too used to Quicksilver (and now Alfred) for too many years. Hell, last week I actually opened my App folder for the first time in a few years and noticed there was poo poo in there that I hadn't used since 2007 :v:

Launch Pad is pretty bad rear end when you're balls deep in a full-screen app and want to load another program quickly. Three-finger swipe left or right for the win.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Okay wow, my Snow Leopard configuration of Spaces is making Mission Control go absolutely nuts. I did figure it out however but having to go into a Desktop's thumb view and nudge my way to move a window 1 px so it figures out that that window belongs there is kinda annoying.

Now another thing; can I remap the Dashboard-button to work as LaunchPad? My Dashboard is already OS-wide switched off use some terminal command and I wanna use the button for something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, Spotlight is loving with my external HDD something fierce. It's trying to index it but Lion keeps giving me the warning you get when you unplug the drive incorrectly (even though the drive never disappears from my desktop). Guess I'll just add it to the Privacy list and never be able to search the thing.

The bigger issue is that the display on my MBP won't shut down now. I normally use a Cinema HD monitor and turn the MBP display off by closing the lid, then opening it up (for ventilation), but now when I open the lid, the display turns on again. I have no use for the MBP display when I have the big monitor on, and I hate it when my mouse cursor slips over to the MBP display. :argh:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a hidden 20-30 gb partition would be absolutely unacceptable when they are shipping notebooks with 64 gb of storage as their "everyone" model now. Good thing that's not the case. Now I can lust after the new air in peace.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Thank Christ for the "Use Classic Layout" checkbox in Mail's preferences.

I'll keep my iPad mail client on my iPad, thanks.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Does full-screen work on existing apps or only for apps made with Lion in mind?

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

Hey guys, quick question. Before I do anything, I was wondering what I should do before upgrading to lion. Does parallels poo poo itself with lion? It's not that big of an issue since I don't use it too often, but hey, if there aren't any complications, cool.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dan Hollis posted:

Only on apps made for Lion. Parallels 6 works fine, 5 does not.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
So, in Preview, how do I close these?

Selecting them and closing them doesn't work. They just reappear down there. Closing Preview doesn't work. They show up again. Rebooting doesn't work.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ok, I'm confused now.

I ran the Lion app and it did it's thing and restarted my machine. But why after restarting do I only have an option to instal Mac OSX or restore from backup?

Shouldn't there be an upgrade option to click on?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Dan Hollis posted:

Apps need to specifically support the feature. It'll put one of these doodads in the upper-right corner:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Can anyone post the md5 of the InstallESD.dmg file? My connection dropped while downloading through the app store, it says it's completed, but I'm worried it might not have completed properly as I want to do a clean install.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I've run into two annoying problems using the forums on Lion so far.

The first is that the status of threads in my user control panel doesn't update when I hit the "back" button.

The second is that text that's on the same line as an image is at the top of the image rather than the bottom.
Old:

New:

It's a bit annoying for reading LPs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

decypher posted:

Launch Pad is pretty bad rear end when you're balls deep in a full-screen app and want to load another program quickly. Three-finger swipe left or right for the win.

Three-finger swipe does loving own.

Now Chrome just has to update it's gesture control. :mad:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Ok, I'm confused now.

I ran the Lion app and it did it's thing and restarted my machine. But why after restarting do I only have an option to instal Mac OSX or restore from backup?

Shouldn't there be an upgrade option to click on?

Well that was loving weird. I restarted back to my old OS and re launched the Lion installer. Which is now upgrading hands off properly...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Small thing but it seems they fixed the iTunes mini player moving up slightly when you minimize/maximize it or open new apps when the player is at the lower part of the screen next to the Dock. With that, and if Lion won't randomly log me out every once in a while, they've fixed everything I didn't like in Snow Leopard!

Edit: Hey my weather widget ain't working, what is this bullshit. :mad:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Ziir posted:

So, in Preview, how do I close these?

Selecting them and closing them doesn't work. They just reappear down there. Closing Preview doesn't work. They show up again. Rebooting doesn't work.

They're not open. They're recent documents. (Note they're displayed as documents, not windows.)

It's a new feature of Lion. You can also see this in action in TextEdit. If you want to see your minimized windows instead of recent documents, sucks to be you.

Edit: I should probably clarify that app exposé now displays both minimized windows and recent documents. If you want one or the other, too bad. In Preview, look for the page curl to stay sane. It's clearer in other applications, where windows tend to look less similar to recent documents.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 20, 2011

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Binary Badger posted:

1) IMHO you shouldn't bother running Lion on anything that's not a metal-encased Mac. I've had it running on a first-gen Intel plastic Core 2 Duo iMac and it definitely drives the system harder, as I'm seeing graphic garbage and other stuff that's never happened on that machine. It was running Snow Leopard just fine. Same thing with a 2007 MacBook, graphics break up and general niggling fits and lockups on a 3 GB Macbook. Yeah yeah ancedotal evidence.

That's helpful, thanks. I was wondering if I'd really get any benefit from Lion on my 2008 plastic Macbook, especially as there was so much chat about trackpad gestures it can't do. May have to adopt an 'ain't broke don't fix it' policy.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I downloaded Lion from the App Store and installed it on my system. Apparently, I was charged 5 times and an hour later refunded all 5 times. Anyone else getting this? And did I just score the update for free? Only time will tell.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah a hidden 20-30 gb partition would be absolutely unacceptable when they are shipping notebooks with 64 gb of storage as their "everyone" model now. Good thing that's not the case. Now I can lust after the new air in peace.
It's not 20-30 GB. The only time I've seen a recovery partition that large was on this POS HP my brother got about six years ago.

The real size is maybe 1GB and honestly I'd say it's worth it, especially if you have a computer without an optical drive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Jackalope posted:

On the other hand, I really can't see using launchpad at all;

This is how I feel as well. I don't really get what Launchpad offers that isn't already available through the Application folder. Or by just typing in the name of the program you want to run through the search.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

Ziploc posted:

Well that was loving weird. I restarted back to my old OS and re launched the Lion installer. Which is now upgrading hands off properly...

It did that to me on my macbook, I clicked install and it downloaded the installer and upgraded fine.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The new Safari version is probably awesome enough to make me switch back from Chrome, full screen browsing and swiping two fingers left and right to navigate pages is implemented really well.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

lelandjs posted:

The real size is maybe 1GB and honestly I'd say it's worth it, especially if you have a computer without an optical drive.

Significantly less than that, actually. It's about 650 Megs.

I deleted the partition anyway (and merged it with the primary partition) since I burned a DVD.

EDIT: Oh you loving cocksmokers. Lion requires the recovery partition to be present if you want to use FileVault.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 20, 2011

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Accipiter posted:

I went back and re-tested a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or missing something, but sure enough, Mac OS 10.7 Internet Sharing from Wireless to Ethernet will only work if your Mac's ethernet address is set to 192.168.2.1. Period.

THANKS, APPLE. :argh:

Pretty curious about this, I guess it's not really important but it doesn't smell right and I'm currently sharing Internet over wi-fi to my iPad using IPs in the 10.x.x.x space. Wifi's different from ethernet I know, but it shouldn't be at the level internet sharing operates at. There's some stuff where internet sharing enabled adapters get an extra IPv4 address for their sharing (or at least my en1 does, check ifconfig after you enable sharing), could be related perhaps?

Anyway, I've a probably-dumb question: Is there a good way to profile your OS X install? In the dev-preview days I was playing with Lion on a clean install on a separate partition and it was _much_ faster (no, really) than my day-to-day snow leopard install. I've since upgraded that SL install to Lion and it's not much faster and is definitely slower than the clean. This install has been migrated through four machines starting from a 2005 iBook (then white macbook, then 2008 unibody mbp and 2010 unibody mbp) and it's had a lot of software on and off it. I'd prefer not to have to clean install, any ideas for where to look for things/settings that could be causing this? I've already checked my user account's LaunchItems and the system's StartupItems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
How do I exit full screen mode? :stare: