Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«793 »
lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

What software is everyone using to access OSX desktop remotely?

VNC? Royal TSX? is Apple Remote Desktop overkill? How is Apple Remote Desktop really any different from VNC?

I am asking because I want to remote into my apple computer from home to do some work sometimes. Looking for a good solution. I find VNC weird with resolution sometimes depending where you're connecting from. (ie. connecting from my 2k monitor at home to a 4k retina generally isn't the greatest experience.)

lol internet. fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2018 around 07:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

LogMeIn

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I'm out of my head
of my heart
and my mind

Disclaimer: Please run whatever remote solution you choose by your IT guys first. Unvetted remote access is generally never a great idea and could get you in some hot water depending on your industry.

Does your company offer VPN access? If so the easiest thing is just VPN and Remote Desktop, but admittedly you mentioned this was subpar for you. I've had good luck with MFA-enabled TeamViewer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol internet. posted:

What software is everyone using to access OSX desktop remotely?

VNC? Royal TSX? is Apple Remote Desktop overkill? How is Apple Remote Desktop really any different from VNC?

I am asking because I want to remote into my apple computer from home to do some work sometimes. Looking for a good solution. I find VNC weird with resolution sometimes depending where you're connecting from. (ie. connecting from my 2k monitor at home to a 4k retina generally isn't the greatest experience.)

ARD is basically VNC with extra security stuff bolted on top. That being said, I'd recommend ARD for incoming over-the-internet connectivity over vanilla VNC.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I use RealVNC but I'm sure there is better out there.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

HELL CIRCUS LOSER

Is Keka the best free file archiver for Mac?

AutisticAwl
Jan 17, 2018

Anyone use Atom for text editing? If so, worthy replacement for Sublime Text?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

AutisticAwl posted:

It's slow and a battery hog. What do you need that Sublime doesn't give you?

AutisticAwl
Jan 17, 2018

Bob Morales posted:

It's slow and a battery hog. What do you need that Sublime doesn't give you?

A lot more customizable and hackable. All open-source.

IAmKale
Jun 6, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

AutisticAwl posted:

If you're considering moving from Sublime to something else, just use VS Code. Code is light-years faster than Atom, and the community support is there. I moved from ST because, for what I do, VS Code included a lot of functionality out of the box that I otherwise had to install as plugins.

Performance-wise, ST and Code feel very similar, though Code will fall over if you try to open very large text files with it. It's an issue with all Electron apps, but it happens rarely enough that it's almost never worth worrying about. When it is an issue, you can open the file in ST instead

AutisticAwl
Jan 17, 2018

IAmKale posted:

If you're considering moving from Sublime to something else, just use VS Code. Code is light-years faster than Atom, and the community support is there. I moved from ST because, for what I do, VS Code included a lot of functionality out of the box that I otherwise had to install as plugins.

Performance-wise, ST and Code feel very similar, though Code will fall over if you try to open very large text files with it. It's an issue with all Electron apps, but it happens rarely enough that it's almost never worth worrying about. When it is an issue, you can open the file in ST instead

VSCode is the one where it can auto-recognize code from a mile away?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

electron editors are dogshit. stick with Sublime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HYPER-THREADING

Last Chance posted:

electron editors are dogshit. stick with Sublime

I like sublime (plus I can use it on Windows/Linux) but for shits and giggles here's a list of Mac text editors:

TextWrangler/BBedit
Coda
TextMate
vim/MacVim
Emacs
Komodo
jEdit
UltraEdit
Brackets
Atom
VS Code
Eclipse