Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've used installinstallmacos.py to download MacOS Install DMGs a few times directly from the Apple update servers

https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This tool has a feature in the menu to download the installer directly, as that's required to patch it to run on unsupported hardware.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DOOMocrat posted:

I need Mac & Windows, and preferably Android/iOS, users to be able to connect to a GPU accelerated OS X instance for remote learning. VM's themselves are a bit out of the question, as our current Adobe CC Shared Device Licensing... license doesn't support virtualized clients; and I don't really have a server with the GPU acceleration to host them on anyway.

I know delay and compression will be issues; basically looking for best case scenario trip reports.

I've had good luck with RealVNC Server/Viewer and streaming video from a remote device on the other side of a VPN connection. It's not perfect, but it's very good. You'd license each host and then unlimited numbers of people can connect to it. I haven't been able to get good tests of using Apple's Screen Sharing to connect to RealVNC yet. The Viewer app is free and actually good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You should be downloading them from the App store or links, not the screen you showed

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

You should be downloading them from the App store or links, not the screen you showed

I've tried this on three machines so far (running Mojave and Catalina), and when I press "GET" in the App Store, it automatically jumps over to Software Update.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

I've tried this on three machines so far (running Mojave and Catalina), and when I press "GET" in the App Store, it automatically jumps over to Software Update.

I haven't seen that happen. I would try "other" sources since you are installing on a Mac so you are licensed...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Remember when you used to be able to install the system you wanted on your Mac?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello friends, quick question about the Mac file system. I was trying to move some stuff from my Mac (new to OSX) to an external HDD and it wouldn't copy. I figured out this was because the HDD was formatted in NTFS from windows. So I googled and the suggestion was to format the HDD then use recovery software to restore the HDD when it's formatted in a Mac compatible file system. I backed up the the HDD on my housemates PC (600GB or so) as I didn't have space on the Mac itself. Then did as they suggested. The software found all the files and it was wonderful, then when I hit restore it reveals I have to pay a 90 euro a month fee to actually restore files lmfao. So I have a few Qs if that's okay!

1. Is there a free reliable deletion recovery software? Or even one that's a few quid but not loving 90 shekels a month
2. I seen there is a file system I can format the hard drive too that is compatible with Mac and Windows. Is this reliable? I had initially thought I could just copy from the HDD what I needed but a lot of files would just stop copying at random. I formatted an empty HDD for Mac and was able to copy lots of large files (50GB+ folder) without much issue. So is NTFS just really unreliable with Apple and will the file system that's compatible with both work?

sorry I'm so dumb lol, ty ty in advance

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Should be able to restore using that, depending on how you backed up the original drive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Should be able to restore using that, depending on how you backed up the original drive.

No the problem is all my HDDs are NTFS. So the drive is backed up a separate windows PC. So the drive is now formatted as an Apple journal but now to get the files back on it. The receovery Software had been the plan.

So I guess a better question is the best way to get a huge amount of data from a pc to a Mac journal hdd

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

EmmyOk posted:

1. Is there a free reliable deletion recovery software? Or even one that's a few quid but not loving 90 shekels a month

Free, with strings attached:

https://www.cleverfiles.com/pro.html

Disk Drill Free lets you recover up to 500 MB free, after that it's $90 US.. Im guessing this is what you tried first..

quote:

2. I seen there is a file system I can format the hard drive too that is compatible with Mac and Windows. Is this reliable? I had initially thought I could just copy from the HDD what I needed but a lot of files would just stop copying at random. I formatted an empty HDD for Mac and was able to copy lots of large files (50GB+ folder) without much issue. So is NTFS just really unreliable with Apple and will the file system that's compatible with both work

Remember that NTFS was written by Microsoft, an Apple competitor; if you want to make software that reads/writes to it, you gotta pay Microsoft something.

Apple wasn't going to pay Microsoft the money so they literally reverse engineered a read-only driver without Microsoft's help or sanction, which is why you wouldn't want to trust macOS's read-only ability too much.

You could just stick with NTFS and -BUY- a third party file translator software like Paragon NTFS, or install NTFS Tool from GitHub, it's written by a guy from China and is relatively new and provides read/write support for NTFS for free, YMMV.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was googling for NTFS Tool and came across Mounty. Anyone have experience with this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So it seems like I can format the external hdd that’s empty as ExFat and load up all the files from the windows pc onto that. Then copy them from there through the Mac onto the Apple formatted external hdd? I don’t mind losing the soft deleted files currently on the hdd as they’re also still backed up on that pc

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EmmyOk posted:

So it seems like I can format the external hdd that’s empty as ExFat and load up all the files from the windows pc onto that. Then copy them from there through the Mac onto the Apple formatted external hdd? I don’t mind losing the soft deleted files currently on the hdd as they’re also still backed up on that pc

Yes, ExFat is a format that is fully supported as read/write out of the box on both macOS and Windows.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I was googling for NTFS Tool and came across Mounty. Anyone have experience with this?

Nope, but here's the GitHub page for NTFS Tool, sorry I forgot to include it.

https://github.com/ntfstool/ntfstool/blob/master/README.md

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Catalina 10.15.5, Security Update 2020-003 Mojave and Security Update 2020-003 High Sierra have dropped :siren:

A bunch of security fixes and the latest BootROMs / BridgeOS for most machines.

The new BootROMs include Intel's latest CPU microcode patches to nullify Spectre and Meltdown.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is there another way to block the Catalina update? The terminal command no longer seems to work.

code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

Ignored updates:
(
    "macOS Catalina"
)

Ignoring software updates is deprecated.
The ability to ignore individual updates will be removed in a future release of macOS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Catalina 10.15.5, Security Update 2020-003 Mojave and Security Update 2020-003 High Sierra have dropped :siren:

A bunch of security fixes and the latest BootROMs / BridgeOS for most machines.

The new BootROMs include Intel's latest CPU microcode patches to nullify Spectre and Meltdown.

This appears to have fixed the problem with my machine waking up all the time when docked.

Still waiting on a fix for the Driver update from calDigit :/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Chalupa Joe posted:

Is there another way to block the Catalina update? The terminal command no longer seems to work.

code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

Ignored updates:
(
    "macOS Catalina"
)

Ignoring software updates is deprecated.
The ability to ignore individual updates will be removed in a future release of macOS.

Unless there’s something else to signify failure, that output did not signify that it doesn’t work, just that it is no longer supported and will break in the future.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Remember that NTFS was written by Microsoft, an Apple competitor; if you want to make software that reads/writes to it, you gotta pay Microsoft something.

Apple wasn't going to pay Microsoft the money so they literally reverse engineered a read-only driver without Microsoft's help or sanction, which is why you wouldn't want to trust macOS's read-only ability too much.

Why do you have to pay them? Are there specific patents that need to be licensed? There are multiple open source NTFS tools that don’t seem to be patent-encumbered, from a quick search at least.

And if you have to pay Microsoft to make software that reads or writes NTFS, how did Apple make software that reads it in order to avoid paying Microsoft? I can’t make sense of this post.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Why do you have to pay them? Are there specific patents that need to be licensed? There are multiple open source NTFS tools that don’t seem to be patent-encumbered, from a quick search at least.

And if you have to pay Microsoft to make software that reads or writes NTFS, how did Apple make software that reads it in order to avoid paying Microsoft? I can’t make sense of this post.

microsoft considers the ntfs specification a trade secret and will not license it. however it is legal to reverse-engineer something that can interface with a proprietary system as long as you don't reuse any proprietary elements. that's what apple and ntfs-3g did, but even though ntfs-3g technically supports writing to ntfs volumes it isn't 100% reliable, which is why apple didn't bother

Weedle
May 31, 2006

basically if you want to share a drive between macos and windows just use exfat. it's the least bad option. in a perfect world microsoft wouldn't be such dicks about it but here we are

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weedle posted:

microsoft considers the ntfs specification a trade secret and will not license it. however it is legal to reverse-engineer something that can interface with a proprietary system as long as you don't reuse any proprietary elements.

Yeah, that’s my understanding too, but it doesn’t match what BB posted, and what they posted contradicts itself, I think?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ I can't parse that.

BTW, you really really want to upgrade to 10.15.5 (it'll take a while on a T2 based laptop) if you use any RAID equipment with your Mac, as it fixes a show-stopping bug with copying large files to APFS RAID volumes.

It has updated AMD drivers and also resolves a nasty bug in the USB stack that will cause a kernel panic if you insert a USB device that sends invalid messages.

quote:

AppleUSBNetworking

Available for: macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Impact: Inserting a USB device that sends invalid messages may cause a kernel panic

Description: A logic issue was addressed with improved restrictions.

How ridiculous is it that this didn't exist in HS or Mojave..

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Weedle posted:

microsoft considers the ntfs specification a trade secret and will not license it. however it is legal to reverse-engineer something that can interface with a proprietary system as long as you don't reuse any proprietary elements. that's what apple and ntfs-3g did, but even though ntfs-3g technically supports writing to ntfs volumes it isn't 100% reliable, which is why apple didn't bother

What's this about ntfs-3g losing writes? A series of bad decisions I made means that I have an NTFS-formatted drive array in my Ubuntu NAS, and it's been stable for years. The write performance does suck terribly and it uses a ton of CPU to the NTFS driver when I'm writing, but it's been reliable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

What's this about ntfs-3g losing writes? A series of bad decisions I made means that I have an NTFS-formatted drive array in my Ubuntu NAS, and it's been stable for years. The write performance does suck terribly and it uses a ton of CPU to the NTFS driver when I'm writing, but it's been reliable.

you're probably fine, i'm not an expert on it or anything but my understanding is that problems can arise if you're sharing an ntfs volume between windows and another os in a multi-boot config. something to do with windows not seeing the changes made by the other os and thinking space that was written to is still free

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Malcolm XML posted:

Welp I thought it was Mike mcquaid. Oops. Well, nevertheless,,,

Tbh I respect Mcxl for having the guts to develop brew from scratch. Not easy and it’s better than most of the alternatives.

It’s the current maintainers i have a problem with since they aren’t particularly good at their jobs

I've already made my biases clear, here, so I'm curious if you have particular examples of what you're describing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How stable is ExFat? I'd tried copying from NTFS directly to my Apple Journal format HDD and the copy would just fail eventually. I'm planning only to use ExFat to transfer from windows to ExFat HDD to Apple Journal HDD. Or is ExFat stable enough I don't need to do that second bit. Only planning to use these files on Mac.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

EmmyOk posted:

How stable is ExFat? I'd tried copying from NTFS directly to my Apple Journal format HDD and the copy would just fail eventually. I'm planning only to use ExFat to transfer from windows to ExFat HDD to Apple Journal HDD. Or is ExFat stable enough I don't need to do that second bit. Only planning to use these files on Mac.

ExFat doesn't have journaling, so you're more likely to end up with data loss or corruption if something like power loss or drive disconnection happens mid transfer. Probably not the best option for long term storage of large amounts of data, but as a temporary intermediary it should be fine.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Unless there’s something else to signify failure, that output did not signify that it doesn’t work, just that it is no longer supported and will break in the future.

Yes I agree, however:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Learn to live with the dot. It's not that bad.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The Catalina TV app has stopped working for me. If I try to watch a movie or TV show, the video plays for a couple of seconds, then stops and exits, but the app doesn't crash. I can't find any similar reports on Google.

e: It's a Mac Pro 5,1 so that might be relevant.

e2: It works if I download the content beforehand, but not streaming.

e3: OK, it's a known issue with AMD graphics cards on unsupported Macs / Hackintoshes that requires third-party kexts to fix, at least downloading works.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 28, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did you try enabling hardware acceleration via OpenCore?

I watch episodes of Voyager and Enterprise in Safari on Netflix without skipping a beat, and that's with the recommended Sapphire Pulse 580X on a 5,1 running both Mojave and Catalina.. go look on the MacRumors forums for help with that maybe..

Without HWA, Netflix returns a 'run Silverlight' error..

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I didn’t use OpenCore but I’ll probably switch over to that method Someday™. In the meantime, I’d rather stick to a stock install.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Crunchy Black posted:

I've already made my biases clear, here, so I'm curious if you have particular examples of what you're describing.

everything involved with removing options, the general poor state of homebrew as a package manager (it's slow, it's not really architected well (git is not a good database for package managment, it takes over /usr/local), the churn in formula packaging for arbitrary reasons between taps and core, versioning is poorly supported...)

I can't find the issue where one of the maintainers simply couldn't understand a basic algorithm change to a formula to avoid some bug so i might have dreamed it.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If you are using dosdude’s patcher, he did update it to support 10.15.5.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I recently got my first Mac and have some questions about MSOffice.

I have Office365 through work and I use it extensively. It appears that the AutoSave feature isn't working right on the Mac and I don't know what's up. On Windows I open a file from my OneDrive, and autosave is already on and whatever work I do automatically updates the file, and it gets reuploaded like it should. On Mac, however, every Office file I open, whether it be word, excel, powerpoint, whatever, the auto sync feature is always turned off when I open it. I have to click to enable autosave, then it has to overwrite the file that is already there. I have to give permission for it every time.

Does anyone else have this behavior? Any idea how to fix it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

I recently got my first Mac and have some questions about MSOffice.

I have Office365 through work and I use it extensively. It appears that the AutoSave feature isn't working right on the Mac and I don't know what's up. On Windows I open a file from my OneDrive, and autosave is already on and whatever work I do automatically updates the file, and it gets reuploaded like it should. On Mac, however, every Office file I open, whether it be word, excel, powerpoint, whatever, the auto sync feature is always turned off when I open it. I have to click to enable autosave, then it has to overwrite the file that is already there. I have to give permission for it every time.

Does anyone else have this behavior? Any idea how to fix it?

Works great for me, I use it every day for coauthoring with my students. Do you have the OneDrive Finder extension enabled? Have you tried deleting and re-adding the sync record in OneDrive?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Carbon Copy Cloner users: Bombich Software has released CCC 5.1.18, which works around the issue that prevented it from making bootable backups of Catalina drives while booted from 10.15.5.

Here's their explanation:

Bombich Software posted:

Starting in macOS 10.15.5, Apple made a change to macOS that prevents non-Apple applications from creating a special link between the System and Data volumes in an APFS volume group.

In layman's terms, that means that we're no longer able to use our own file copier to create an initial bootable backup of your Mac's startup disk.

Now when you configure a CCC backup task to make a clone of a 10.15 startup volume, CCC will use Apple's "Apple Software Restore" (ASR) utility to create the initial clone.

For subsequent backups, CCC will use its own file copier and will copy just the differences between your source and destination.
https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/cloning-macos-system-volumes-apple-software-restore

So if you're booted from an OS that's not 10.15.5, CCC should be fine and work as before, CCC 5.1.18 will let you continue to use 10.15.5 and up to clone Catalina volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is cleaning up old Time Machine backups supposed to be this painful? I have a filled-up Drobo that I'd like to free up. There are TM backups from machines I no longer use. Manually deleting the subfolders under Backups.backupdb is fine, but emptying the Trash takes ridiculously long, and rm -Rf in Terminal isn't much better, and it reveals some errors.

Is there some better way?