Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Taima posted:

I put Big Sur on my work MBP and welp, it shitted the whole thing up. Do not recommend. Multi-monitor issues. Adobe suite is shittered.

I thought living next to Big Sur would ingratiate me with the MacOS gods, but I'm forced to conclude that it did not.
it's a beta 1. what were you expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pivo posted:

Might want to double check you’d read the post before solliloquizing.

I said there is no point to natively booting ARM Windows, especially since it would need to support Apple-specific SoC features to run decently. Lots of work for no benefit (no backwards compat with historical Windows software). But virtualizing ARM Windows? Why not. Some third party could offer that for whoever really wants it.

Every program used on the windows 10 arm demos (AKA office or creative cloud) is emulated 32bit x86. It runs slowly on bare metal and it will run slower on virtualized. The native software library for windows 10 arm is smaller than beos last time i checked.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

The native software library for windows 10 arm is tinier than beos last time i checked.

Yes. That was the point.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is there any kind of session management wrapper software for iterm2? It's getting annoying creating aliases and I really love iterm2. Something that emulates SecureCRT would be nice.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Is there any kind of session management wrapper software for iterm2? It's getting annoying creating aliases and I really love iterm2. Something that emulates SecureCRT would be nice.

What do you mean by 'session management wrapper'? iTerm 2 has session definitions ("Profiles") and if I recall you can set them to execute whatever you want when you create a new instance of it, so if you have a particular environment you'd like to set up, you can make it a profile with a custom look & feel and a small script that sets it up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pivo posted:

What do you mean by 'session management wrapper'? iTerm 2 has session definitions ("Profiles") and if I recall you can set them to execute whatever you want when you create a new instance of it, so if you have a particular environment you'd like to set up, you can make it a profile with a custom look & feel and a small script that sets it up.

Like I have a window pane of clickable SSH sessions for different servers. Look and feel I don't care about as I have that set up the way I like it locally.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Like I have a window pane of clickable SSH sessions for different servers. Look and feel I don't care about as I have that set up the way I like it locally.

You should be able to do that with Profiles. If you CMD-O you can keep the Profiles window open if you want, but they're one-click accessible from the Profiles menu bar item.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pivo posted:

You should be able to do that with Profiles. If you CMD-O you can keep the Profiles window open if you want, but they're one-click accessible from the Profiles menu bar item.

Thanks. I'll take a look at this. I don't know why I haven't been able to find this from poking around.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh yeah I figured as much for the motherboard swap (that’s what I refer to as a motherboard ‘repair’). 19 cycles on the battery.

Congratulations again, that's a machine that was never off power except for meetings. My 2014 went 4.5 years and maybe got to 1 cycles.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Thanks. I'll take a look at this. I don't know why I haven't been able to find this from poking around.

If you want to get real fancy, if your SSH hosts don't have cert auth, you can set up a Profile for the SSH and then a Trigger on the password entry to fill in a password from the Password Manager which stores passwords securely in Keychain (and unlocks with TouchID!).

https://iterm2-discuss.narkive.com/LQWHClWZ/how-to-auto-enter-password

iTerm 2 has a lot of power user features that aren't surfaced very well IMO. It's hella powerful. You can have per-profile key bindings too to interact with hosts that have weird-rear end terminals (if you find Backspace is inserting unusual escape chars as plaintext for example).

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm trying to move away form the Unix way of doing things, with the Term and the shellscripts, and all that mess, and instead do everything from within an Emacs buffer. I've been doing the bash/zsh thing for a few years now but I'm feeling it's limitations. Aquamacs seems well suited to the osx keys. And god I'd kill -9 that bar on the top of the screen if I had a chance.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Taima posted:

I put Big Sur on my work MBP and welp, it shitted the whole thing up.

That did not seem like a smart idea.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Surely it was just a dev or test machine though. I sincerely doubt that anyone would be dumb enough to put a first beta of an operating system on a production device.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is it possible to edit the metadata for TV shows you bought from Apple?

I have a bunch of episodes of Ghost in the Shells: Arise that have been labelled badly. It means they end up out of order and with phantom seasons. In iTunes, you could get info and then edit the info there. But in the TV app, it seems like edits don't stick.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MacOS Big Sur review, in the style of MacOS Big Sur:

T h a n k s , I h a t e i t .

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

piratepilates posted:

That did not seem like a smart idea.

It’s fine actually i figured out how to solve the issues I had. I mean who even cares, like I said before I have two parallel setups (one mac one pc) so worst case I use my pc

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

MacOS Big Sur review, in the style of MacOS Big Sur:

T h a n k s , I h a t e i t .

Why? I think it’s pretty good :shrug:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Taima posted:

Why? I think it’s pretty good :shrug:

I think he's joking about the enormous amount of space between all the menubar icons. It is pretty terrible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Big Sur is basically promising that rounded display corners are coming to the Mac, which frankly sounds more like a menacing threat than an exciting tease

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Brain Issues posted:

I think he's joking about the enormous amount of space between all the menubar icons. It is pretty terrible.

literally eeeeeeeverything is super spread out and awkward now. OK, don't wanna get NDA banned. But yeah, if you had any doubt that touch-based MacOS was coming real soon, uhhh...

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

AlternateAccount posted:

literally eeeeeeeverything is super spread out and awkward now. OK, don't wanna get NDA banned. But yeah, if you had any doubt that touch-based MacOS was coming real soon, uhhh...

I dont even have that many menubar icons, but depending on the app i'm using I sometimes can't even see them all because theres so much dead space. And this is on a 16".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Big Sur is basically promising that rounded display corners are coming to the Mac, which frankly sounds more like a menacing threat than an exciting tease

I’m starting to not feel so bad that my Mac isn’t going to support it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NDA? So many people posted poo poo on reddit the last two betas...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

NDA? So many people posted poo poo on reddit the last two betas...

I don't know how the forums feel about this. If they're cool, I am happy to test things or answer questions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know how the forums feel about this. If they're cool, I am happy to test things or answer questions.

If you aren’t posting :filez: then do whatever the gently caress

you’re describing a beta, not releasing classified info my dude

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 2, 2020

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Famously non-rounded display corner company Apple.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A Macbook with a form factor more or less identical to iPad Pro + Brydge/Magic Keyboard would be generally kind of cool, but that seems like it would still be a stretch performance-wise to get that into a usable casing, and I don't really see the point of having touch control otherwise unless it's entirely preemptive while waiting for the hardware to catch up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Big Sur is good and enjoyable imo and I don’t even find it especially spread out, but I use a 5k2k ultrawide so maybe I’m used to having things be spread out or something.

Maps is cool. Placing calls on your computer seems easier. Safari is better, Photos is better. Messages is improved.

It’s definitely a little janky right now in numerous ways but honestly I really like it and see a lot of promise here.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I've got at least 13 Gmail accounts spanning a decade. I'm likely to find more. I need them all in one e-mail client to cross-reference which accounts have been registered to which and consolidate my entire historical online presence into my two current accounts and a password manager. I also have a bundle of very old accounts I have saved as .mbox files that I'd like to bring into this if possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total number hit six figures, at all, if I can get everything into the same app.

I know somebody with a vast amount of email accounts who has tried every major MacOS mail client is reading this. Help? I'm getting a tension headache thinking about the scale of this and what hellish missed opportunities I'm going to find in this mess and how exactly I'm going to organise the evidence-of-mental-illness of a digital life contained in these inboxes. Saving a few hours and missing unforeseen speed bumps with picking a client would be a huge help.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Very curious that my Magic Mouse 2 shows up as a 2 button mouse in Big Sur

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Daniel Bryan posted:

Very curious that my Magic Mouse 2 shows up as a 2 button mouse in Big Sur

Because technically it is?

I mean you press on the right for right-click and the left for left click. Sounds two button to me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ONE BUTTAN

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's a subtle nod from apple to stop using that mouse asap.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fat penis icon

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does Big Sur fix FaceTime not letting you place phone calls from your MBP if the lid is closed? Even when docked to two monitors and an external webcam, FaceTime refused to let me place phone calls unless the built-in webcam was active.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IAmKale posted:

Does Big Sur fix FaceTime not letting you place phone calls from your MBP if the lid is closed? Even when docked to two monitors and an external webcam, FaceTime refused to let me place phone calls unless the built-in webcam was active.

Oh poo poo, it does. Just tested it. I had to manually select the proper devices in the menubar.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 2, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but my computer auto updated last night and now I swear the audio sounds way, way worse

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

number one pta fan posted:

I've got at least 13 Gmail accounts spanning a decade. I'm likely to find more. I need them all in one e-mail client to cross-reference which accounts have been registered to which and consolidate my entire historical online presence into my two current accounts and a password manager. I also have a bundle of very old accounts I have saved as .mbox files that I'd like to bring into this if possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total number hit six figures, at all, if I can get everything into the same app.

I know somebody with a vast amount of email accounts who has tried every major MacOS mail client is reading this. Help? I'm getting a tension headache thinking about the scale of this and what hellish missed opportunities I'm going to find in this mess and how exactly I'm going to organise the evidence-of-mental-illness of a digital life contained in these inboxes. Saving a few hours and missing unforeseen speed bumps with picking a client would be a huge help.

I don’t have some amazing answer for you but I migrated my dad over to Fastmail and he had the same identity sprawl you’re describing.

Fastmail has a really handy import tool that works with Gmail (among other providers).

I took each account and had it import into the Fastmail account. Then I setup forwarding from the gmail address to the Fastmail account.

Once it was all done, there was only one email account for him to interact with and put on his devices.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Verisimilidude posted:

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but my computer auto updated last night and now I swear the audio sounds way, way worse

Whaddya running, Mojave or Catalina?

Try a PRAM reset or SMU reset..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Oh poo poo, it does. Just tested it. I had to manually select the proper devices in the menubar.

Oh wow, the padding in the menus is a lot bigger than I realized even after watching the keynote and looking at some of Apple’s screenshots.