Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
post!=edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Violator posted:

Oh wow, the padding in the menus is a lot bigger than I realized even after watching the keynote and looking at some of Apple’s screenshots.

Thats too bad, osx was the only os left optimized for mouse/trackpad only use, now it has too much white space like windows8+ and gnome, a mouse/touch screen compromise that pleases no one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Quinn from Snazzy seems pretty convinced that the weird UI changes in Big Sur are Apple setting the stage for touchscreen Macs in the next few years

I was skeptical at first but the more I look the clearer it is that Apple’s moving MacOS toward finger-friendliness

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

Quinn from Snazzy seems pretty convinced that the weird UI changes in Big Sur are Apple setting the stage for touchscreen Macs in the next few years

I was skeptical at first but the more I look the clearer it is that Apple’s moving MacOS toward finger-friendliness

It's the only thing that even makes sense. The padding in the menubar is insane.

Look at how much empty space is between those icons.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
omfg restoring a whole system from Time Machine is an absolutely shitshow of wasted time. Why is it so damned slow? What's better?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

AlternateAccount posted:

omfg restoring a whole system from Time Machine is an absolutely shitshow of wasted time. Why is it so damned slow? What's better?

Reinstalling from scratch and installing your software over again, learning from your mistakes, keeping files & projects seperate from your OS, on a NAS or in the cloud.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Brain Issues posted:

Reinstalling from scratch and installing your software over again, learning from your mistakes, keeping files & projects seperate from your OS, on a NAS or in the cloud.

Yeah OK, that's where I am at. What sucks though is that so many settings and such are stored in ~/Library. I guess I could keep that backed up, too. I just remember it not being a total turd.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, I just upgraded to a new MBP and didn't bother with the Migration Assistant. I put older files on a flash drive, and my newer important docs are on the free OneDrive I get with my Office 365 sub.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah OK, that's where I am at. What sucks though is that so many settings and such are stored in ~/Library. I guess I could keep that backed up, too. I just remember it not being a total turd.

Idk, go have a chill hang while your computer slowly rebuilds itself.

Go smoke a J and have a long walk in the woods or something, it’s summer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do you have any git repositories or directories with tons of files or use a lovely thing called NodeJS that litters millions of files everywhere on the drive? I've found that sort of thing really affects TM restores very heavily.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Last Chance posted:

Do you have any git repositories or directories with tons of files or use a lovely thing called NodeJS that litters millions of files everywhere on the drive? I've found that sort of thing really affects TM restores very heavily.

I've found that Time Machine is slow as balls even with a machine that's almost stock.

plasm
Jul 16, 2019

number one pta fan posted:

I've got at least 13 Gmail accounts spanning a decade. I'm likely to find more. I need them all in one e-mail client to cross-reference which accounts have been registered to which and consolidate my entire historical online presence into my two current accounts and a password manager. I also have a bundle of very old accounts I have saved as .mbox files that I'd like to bring into this if possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total number hit six figures, at all, if I can get everything into the same app.

I know somebody with a vast amount of email accounts who has tried every major MacOS mail client is reading this. Help? I'm getting a tension headache thinking about the scale of this and what hellish missed opportunities I'm going to find in this mess and how exactly I'm going to organise the evidence-of-mental-illness of a digital life contained in these inboxes. Saving a few hours and missing unforeseen speed bumps with picking a client would be a huge help.

Hey I had a similar issue but on a smaller scale. I tried a few of the fancy looking clients available but the search functions in those were terrible. So i would end up switching for a couple days then go back to mail.app.

Then I found mailmate, and it’s search is great. It also has a bunch of other really nice features. It is IMAP only though. No POP support.

It’s one limitation is that it doesn’t support local folders, which was a major problem for me because I don’t leave my emails hanging around on remote servers.

To deal with this I moved my local folder archive on a dovecot installation that is only accessible on localhost by localhost. The best part about this setup is now if I ever want to migrate to another client I don’t have to manually migrate gigs of email over. I can just point the new client to localhost. This also means I could run multiple clients at the same time if I wanted to without any kind of headaches.

The way I did this was to get set up with dovecot and add the imap account to mail.app. I then moved all my “on my Mac” email folders to the new localhost imap. Then I set up mailmate and it all just worked.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
That Mailmate looked interesting, but then [needlescratch dot aiff]

quote:

MailMate only allows emails to be written using a plain text editor.

but then..!

quote:

Instead, you can (optionally) use the simple Markdown syntax. This is then automatically converted by MailMate to HTML which is the (unofficial) standard for rich text emails.

uhhhh... what? You can only write plaintext, but also in markdown! that then gets converted to ("unofficial" :rolleyes: ) HTML. Soooooo... why not just stuff a thin wrapper on top of the mail creation UI that has markdown underneath, but visually applies the text styles on the fly...?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Switzerland posted:

That Mailmate looked interesting, but then [needlescratch dot aiff]

but then..!

uhhhh... what? You can only write plaintext, but also in markdown! that then gets converted to ("unofficial" :rolleyes: ) HTML. Soooooo... why not just stuff a thin wrapper on top of the mail creation UI that has markdown underneath, but visually applies the text styles on the fly...?

Because the author feels strongly about not providing WYSIWYG. Which to be honest, I'm fine with. I use MailMate and like that I can use Markdown as the input format.

That said - it's meant to effectively be a middle ground between old school pine/mutt terminal mail clients and the GUI clients of today (Mail.app, Outlook, etc).

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
*harrumph*

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone know of an app that can create a set of folders and then move files to those folders based off some user-set rules?

I have a lot of files within one folder. I want to, instead of having just a bunch of files, have them organized into alphabetical folders. So, if I had 100 files with names ranging from A - Z, I'd want 26 new folders (for letters A - Z), and then the files placed into the folders based off the first letter the file starts with. So from RandomFolder > anthropology.mp3, biology.mp3, calculus.mp3 to RandomFolder > A > anthropology.mp3 and RandomFolder > B > biology.mp3 and RandomFolder > C > calculus.mp3 etc

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Automator.app?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

rufius posted:

Because the author feels strongly about not providing WYSIWYG.

Lol

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Switzerland posted:

Automator.app?

I was going to try this, but even as braindead as Automator is made to be, it was still not doing exactly what I needed it to. I managed to get it to work via a shell script though.

code:
`
for file in *; do
  mkdir -p ${file:0:1}
  mv $file ${file:0:1}
done
`

In case anyone else wants to use this (or if I need to find it in the future).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve seen a bunch of posts about amplibraryagent hogging cpu, but from what I’ve seen from remoting in to my computer while I’m away it’s causing kernel panics and reboot looping my machine. Anyone seen this before?

I haven’t updated my Apple Music library in ages and haven’t touched anything along those lines so it’s particularly frustrating.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

rufius posted:

Because the author feels strongly about not providing WYSIWYG..

What kind of neo-minimalistic hipster nonsense is this? gently caress that dev.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

XBenedict posted:

What kind of neo-minimalistic hipster nonsense is this? gently caress that dev.

I mean, to play devil’s advocate, don’t use the app?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still don’t know much about why I keep getting KPs as I’m still away, but I know I want to get an up to date time machine backup before I do anything as for some damned reason it hasn’t backed up since May.

Now obviously I can’t get the system stable, but I can get it as far as logging in and forcing a TM backup to start. It has 30gb it needs to do and I got about 2gb in on my first attempt before the system panicked.

If I just repeat the process over and over, should I have a clean backup of the files or will will I get a handful of corruptions from the panics? Naturally I’ll possibly get a backup of whatever is causing the panics but I haven’t installed anything recently so I hope not.

Application in report changes each time so I can’t narrow it down yet. Headache for the next week I’m sure and a new SSD likely to be ordered.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does your Mac have a removable SSD? You could put it into an enclosure and use it as a Migration Assistant restore source.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Anyone else having trouble opening qBitTorrent lately? I click on it either in the Dock or in Applications and it does nothing, no bouncing icon no dot underneath it in the Dock indicating it's open. But when I go to Force Quit Applications it's in the list, and it also won't Force Quit. I don't think this is due to an update, as I was using it just the other night but it abruptly stopped working. I'm on OS Mojave.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Does your Mac have a removable SSD? You could put it into an enclosure and use it as a Migration Assistant restore source.

Regular ssd in a 2012 Mini so yeah, If it’s definitely the drive (which I wouldn’t be surprised about) then I can easily sort that at least.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

So Im almost out of memory on a very light load lol. Ram is so cheap, I am feeling the cold squeeze of a capitalist grip.

*i made it a thumbnail

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 7, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
How can I reduce RAM usage? I have only iTerm open and Finder which can't close. This alone takes 4/8g of ram. I think that's an important point to bring up to potential buyers.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
You have more free RAM than you know. Like many modern operating systems macOS will chew up all your free RAM as disk cache. If it ever needs memory used as cache for other things, it just drops the cache and reallocates it.

The side effect of this design is that your RAM use can appear to be high just from booting the computer, because potentially everything the OS has read from disk is sitting around in cache. Just learn to stop worrying about it, it doesn't matter unless your computer actually gets slow.

If it does get slow, and you want to figure out if memory is the problem, check the Memory pane of Activity Monitor. If "swap used" is high and/or the memory pressure graph is showing yellow or red, then you actually have a problem with using too much RAM.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BobHoward posted:

You have more free RAM than you know. Like many modern operating systems macOS will chew up all your free RAM as disk cache. If it ever needs memory used as cache for other things, it just drops the cache and reallocates it.

The side effect of this design is that your RAM use can appear to be high just from booting the computer, because potentially everything the OS has read from disk is sitting around in cache. Just learn to stop worrying about it, it doesn't matter unless your computer actually gets slow.

If it does get slow, and you want to figure out if memory is the problem, check the Memory pane of Activity Monitor. If "swap used" is high and/or the memory pressure graph is showing yellow or red, then you actually have a problem with using too much RAM.

Oh ok, cool, that's good to know. My other OS takes up maybe 700mb out of 16g so I was a little taken aback seeing the numbers. I'm a bit of a control freak, and its not good. I need to let go and let apple be apple and stop being so frustrated at them. It's a good computer, the hardware is the best I've ever used. and I'll buy another in a few years with better specs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So what;s the deal with VP9 support? I see it’s in the new Apple TV OS, is it coming to MacOS/iOS too? My dev betas for both don’t seem to support it yet.

Apple not supporting VP9 has been a pretty huge pet peeve of mine so I’m really hoping they are planning on it across the board.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Big Sur Developer Beta 2 is out now.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Can I assume OpenGL and OpenCL have been cast into the void for ARM macOS? I can't imagine they made the cut after being formally deprecated, no matter how much I disagree with Apple's decision.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to scan in bills and the such so I can toss the paper stuff away. However, my Brother scanner has started scanning with artifacts in the image, even if I scan as a PNG. Has this happened to anyone else, or is this something that can be fixed? I have ultrasounds I want to scan is as well, but would prefer if they didn't look like poo poo.

This is from my last water bill (full sized, not blown up):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

IUG posted:

I'm trying to scan in bills and the such so I can toss the paper stuff away. However, my Brother scanner has started scanning with artifacts in the image, even if I scan as a PNG. Has this happened to anyone else, or is this something that can be fixed? I have ultrasounds I want to scan is as well, but would prefer if they didn't look like poo poo.

Maybe a sharpness setting cranked up too high?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hasturtium posted:

Can I assume OpenGL and OpenCL have been cast into the void for ARM macOS? I can't imagine they made the cut after being formally deprecated, no matter how much I disagree with Apple's decision.

Porting your macOS apps to Apple Silicon

If your app uses Metal, OpenGL, or OpenCL, be aware of the following differences:
The GPU and CPU on Apple silicon share memory.
OpenGL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon.
OpenCL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon when targeting the GPU. The OpenCL CPU device is not available to arm64 apps.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Taima posted:

So what;s the deal with VP9 support? I see it’s in the new Apple TV OS, is it coming to MacOS/iOS too? My dev betas for both don’t seem to support it yet.

Apple not supporting VP9 has been a pretty huge pet peeve of mine so I’m really hoping they are planning on it across the board.

VP8 is there for WebRTC, haven't seen anything else. It's very useful as a medium for alpha layers and Apple isn't providing any alternative.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

IUG posted:

Have you heard of e-statements?

Also, if it’s an option, Scan to PDF is always a better option.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

BobHoward posted:

Porting your macOS apps to Apple Silicon

If your app uses Metal, OpenGL, or OpenCL, be aware of the following differences:
The GPU and CPU on Apple silicon share memory.
OpenGL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon.
OpenCL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon when targeting the GPU. The OpenCL CPU device is not available to arm64 apps.

I would definitely recommend not building anything new for the Mac on top of OpenGL if you can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Brain Issues posted:

Big Sur Developer Beta 2 is out now.

Thanks.