Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
I can't seem to find any recent feedback or solutions regarding this, but has anyone managed to get the built in TRRS-enabled audio port's microphone band to work properly on Windows via Bootcamp? I know it works fine on the OSX side, but I've read nothing but reports from a few years ago that there's issues. I bought a headset for a friend who owns an iMac as a gift and we typically game while he's using bootcamp. I just want to know if I need to get ahold of a USB soundcard before next week or not so he can use them as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fardels Bear posted:

Quick question about automation and desktop customization -- the setup in my bedroom includes a TV that a mac mini uses as its monitor. I'd like to set it up so, in the morning, it plays itunes automatically and pulls up some information about the day -- top headlines from RSS feeds and weather, probably. I've been experimenting with automator to do the iTunes piece of this, but the desktop widget stuff seems very out-of-the-realm of what Macs do. Any suggestions for apps to use for either piece of this project?
There's definitely dashboard widgets that will load iTunes playlists as an alarm. For the RSS thing I'd suggest setting up an iGoogle homepage or something with the feeds you want, set it as your homepage, and set the browser to open at a set time (I don't know if Automator can do this but I bet there's an easy solution for 'load x program at y time').

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TACD posted:

There's definitely dashboard widgets that will load iTunes playlists as an alarm. For the RSS thing I'd suggest setting up an iGoogle homepage or something with the feeds you want, set it as your homepage, and set the browser to open at a set time (I don't know if Automator can do this but I bet there's an easy solution for 'load x program at y time').
When you start a workflow you can set it as an iCal alarm, then in iCal set that up as a repeating event at whatever time. Looks like there's a bunch of actions for iTunes for playback so that should work fine.

iGoogle is probably the easiest method for showing what you want, you can set up something like a Fluid site app for that, or use the "Get Specified URLs" action (and enter the Google address there) then "Website Popup" (new for Lion iirc) and mess with the stuff there.

Another option might be to use the RSS Visualizer screensaver and enter whatever feed in there. The "Start Screen Saver" action just starts whatever is set in System Prefs, and that's where you configure the RSS one. Not the greatest way to view stuff but it looks cool at least. There's probably other dashboard type apps but I don't have any experience with any.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

timb posted:

Cross-posting this here for anyone that doesn't read the iThreads: (Reflection)

Thanks for the heads-up! Looks to have good potential, though at least for me it's fairly buggy at the moment (plays fairly smoothly when it works though). Hopefully they get things straightened out more now that it's been released. It's a lot more expensive than Airserver, but it would be totally worth it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Two things:

* The new Growl isn't supposed to have update notifications, right? Well, I built it from source, uninstalled the old one, and installed the new one, so now I'm running 1.3, but I still occasionally see the notice telling me Growl's been updated. What's going on here, and how can I fix it?

* I'm experiencing periodic lockups (maybe once every day or two). I don't get the black screen telling me I need to turn off the computer, but either the computer will not wake up from sleep, or it will just freeze in the middle of me doing something and be completely unresponsive to any mouse or keyboard input (if I have any sort of sound playing it will also make an incredibly annoying skipping sound till I cut the power). What log can I be looking at to diagnose this problem? Am I even going to find anything? It's not really a typical kernel panic if I'm not seeing the screen, I guess.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
What options do I have for making custom key bindings on a strictly per-application basis? I would like to be able to bind a complex shortcut like control+4 to just pressing 4 on the numpad but only in Photoshop.

Using the custom shortcuts in the keyboard preferences to do this is not going to work since Photoshop seems to completely ignore whatever shortcuts I set up.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

japtor posted:

Yeah Gmail doesn't push with IMAP or CalDAV while MobileMe/iCloud does (and if the latter isn't, then maybe it's set to fetch/manual rather than push).

Gmail does do push IMAP.

quote:

• Go into Mail » Preferences » Accounts (Advanced) and CHECK "Use IDLE command if the server supports it".
  • Go into Mail » Preferences » Accounts (Advanced) and UNCHECK "Include when automatically checking for new messages".
  • Go into Mail » Preferences » General and set "Check for new messages" to "Manually" (unless you have other accounts that do not support IDLE.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

* I'm experiencing periodic lockups (maybe once every day or two). I don't get the black screen telling me I need to turn off the computer, but either the computer will not wake up from sleep, or it will just freeze in the middle of me doing something and be completely unresponsive to any mouse or keyboard input (if I have any sort of sound playing it will also make an incredibly annoying skipping sound till I cut the power). What log can I be looking at to diagnose this problem? Am I even going to find anything? It's not really a typical kernel panic if I'm not seeing the screen, I guess.
It's a kernel panic Well maybe not, I misread your post :downs:. Look at the logs with the Console app, it's usually unrelated gibberish but there might be some clues in there if you recognize what times your machine went down. There's also kernel panic logs which would tell you whether it was a panic or not...I don't think they always get written out though, so it's not an entirely reliable way of checking that I guess.

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Gmail does do push IMAP.
IMAP IDLE is some other implementation or something...and in the context of iOS devices (such as the original post) it's a moot point since iOS doesn't support it.

(And speaking of iOS, that link forwards me to a sign in page, and after signing in forwards me to a blank page with Google's mobile toolbar at the top :v:)

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 2, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

So I'm having kind of a weird issue, basically I can't authenticate at all. sudo still works but any time there is a password dialog I can't log in. It still recognizes when I enter an incorrect password, but entering the correct one doesn't do anything at all. It even happens on the login screen, if I try to log out and back in it will just throw me right back to the login screen.

This means that I can't install software updates, use any of the system preferences that require authentication, or use my boot camp partition in VMWare. Kind of an issue.

There's something weird going on with Kerberos, when I try to authenticate this appears in /var/log/secure.log:

pre:
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in od_record_check_pwpolicy(): retval: 0
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in od_record_attribute_create_cfstring(): returned 2 attributes for dsAttrTypeStandard:AuthenticationAuthority
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Establishing credentials
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Got user: sam
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Context initialised
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Got euid, egid: 0 0
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Done getpwnam()
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Done setegid() & seteuid()
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): pam_sm_setcred: krb5 user sam doesn't have a principal
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Done cleanup3
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Done seteuid() & setegid()
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): Done cleanup4
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): pam_sm_setcred: ntlm
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium authorizationhost[330]: in pam_sm_setcred(): pam_sm_setcred: no domain found skipping
Mar  2 12:42:44 iridium com.apple.SecurityServer[30]: UID 501 authenticated as user sam (UID 501) for right 'system.privilege.admin'
The bolded line is where things appear to be going wrong. I've tried resetting kerberos keys with:
pre:
sudo rm -fr  /var/db/krb5kdc /etc/krb5.keytab /Library/Keychains/System.keychain
sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC
but that didn't do poo poo. Any ideas besides a full reinstall?

edit: this is on 10.7.3

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The XKCD Larper posted:

What options do I have for making custom key bindings on a strictly per-application basis? I would like to be able to bind a complex shortcut like control+4 to just pressing 4 on the numpad but only in Photoshop.

Using the custom shortcuts in the keyboard preferences to do this is not going to work since Photoshop seems to completely ignore whatever shortcuts I set up.

ControllerMate is the gold standard for more complicated things like this.
Pricey but free trial etc. etc.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

~Coxy posted:

That's kind of overkill. Is there anything easier out there?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Pretty much the only halfway illuminating thing I can find in the logs before it locked up most recently was a bunch of noise from iTunes and usbmuxd so perhaps that's what's causing my system instability.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Mac Developers In Support of Ron Paul

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are there any good RSS readers anymore? NetNewsWire hasn't been updated since, what, September? Last time I used Gruml it was unstable as all get out and also hasn't been updated since October. Google Reader syncing a must, free would be preferable but I could a little money if it's really good.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Manky posted:

Are there any good RSS readers anymore? NetNewsWire hasn't been updated since, what, September? Last time I used Gruml it was unstable as all get out and also hasn't been updated since October. Google Reader syncing a must, free would be preferable but I could a little money if it's really good.

Reeder is... okay. It also does not seem to get updated often and I really wish it had NNW's option to not load plugins in embedded browser views, but it's adequate.

Is it necessary to change readers just because NNW hasn't been updated in a while, though? As long as it still syncs with Google Reader, you should be good, right?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chutwig posted:

Reeder is... okay. It also does not seem to get updated often and I really wish it had NNW's option to not load plugins in embedded browser views, but it's adequate.

Is it necessary to change readers just because NNW hasn't been updated in a while, though? As long as it still syncs with Google Reader, you should be good, right?

Yeah, it's just that they've been promising an updated version was right around the corner since December, and the GReader integration is...functional but very barebones.

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

Manky posted:

There's a new one called Caffeinated, but I'm not sure if it's good. Their main tagline is that they sync with Google Reader. Seems to have mixed reviews at this point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love Reeder, but I have two gripes with it:

- it needs a menu at item to show me how many unread items I have
- it LOVES to leak memory at random ntervals. It will go weeks without an issue and then it suddenly spikes to 700mb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why doesn't Terminal work with some color codes that work on Linux?

I noticed they don't work on a BSD server I have access to either. Is BSD 'echo' different somehow?
code:
echo -e "\033[31mThis is red\033[37m"
Works on both Mac/Linux.
code:
echo -e "\e[1;31mThis is red\e[m"
Works on Linux only. Echos the string with escape codes in OS X Terminal. However, if I replace both occurences of \e with the actual keystroke Ctrl+v-ESC, it works.

Bash's fault? Echo? Terminal settings? (doesn't work in iTerm either...)

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Not sure why that doesn't work; probably a difference in the bash versions, though (OS X is 3.x, Linux is 4.x).

It does work if you do it like this, if that's of any use:

code:
echo $'\e[1;31mThis is red\e[m'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

headfake posted:

Not sure why that doesn't work; probably a difference in the bash versions, though (OS X is 3.x, Linux is 4.x).

It does work if you do it like this, if that's of any use:

code:
echo $'\e[1;31mThis is red\e[m'

Yea, I found a couple differnet ways to make it work, it just seems there's a never ending list of small differences between a Ubuntu/Fedora Linux install and OS X. I know they're different operating systems, but still.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

zsh is better than bash, in my opinion, and supports that control sequence.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Can someone recommend a good book for learning Lion? I'm hardcore and have been doing windows dev for 20 years and I want to learn the internals of how lion works.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tarq posted:

Can someone recommend a good book for learning Lion? I'm hardcore and have been doing windows dev for 20 years and I want to learn the internals of how lion works.

1600 pages of fun

http://osxbook.com/book/buy/

It's not Lion specific, it's actually pretty old.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Bob Morales posted:

1600 pages of fun

http://osxbook.com/book/buy/

It's not Lion specific, it's actually pretty old.

That book is really old, and only useful if you want to do super low level stuff with OS X. A better choice would be Advanced Mac OS X Programming.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I want to archive a few hundred GB of simulation results I have. On Windows I would have used WinRAR and QuickPAR to compress and store them with parity information. What is my equivalent on OS X, or the best way to do this on OS X?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SimpleCoax posted:

I want to archive a few hundred GB of simulation results I have. On Windows I would have used WinRAR and QuickPAR to compress and store them with parity information. What is my equivalent on OS X, or the best way to do this on OS X?

There's http://www.unrarx.com/

Or you can use the standard tar with gzip/bzip2 that comes with OS X.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

chimz posted:

That book is really old, and only useful if you want to do super low level stuff with OS X. A better choice would be Advanced Mac OS X Programming.

I didn't read this book however I read some of The Big Nerd Ranch books, and they've all been excellent, so I recommend buying this!

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

There's http://www.unrarx.com/

Or you can use the standard tar with gzip/bzip2 that comes with OS X.

Thanks. I'm not certain UnRarX can create compressed archives. I may be able to get by using tar, gzip and split. I really miss WinRAR and 7-Zip for this. Anybody use Keka? Then I still need to find a good program to create PAR files.

Edit: Ok, after a fair amount of research, I'm testing out Keka and MacPAR Deluxe and will probably use them.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 4, 2012

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are exactly the kinds of books I'm looking for. I really want to get into the guts of osx and find out how it works... How to break it and how to put it back together.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

There's also http://opensource.apple.com/ for some of the source if you're interested in that level of detail.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

SimpleCoax posted:

Not sure if you know but RARs can use inbuilt recovery data (set to a percentage you want) which is pretty much the same as parity files.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's a good app to keep a directory on my internal drive backed up to an external drive? I already have time machine set up with my time capsule, but I want to keep several folders synchronised with their counterparts on a USB drive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What's a good app to keep a directory on my internal drive backed up to an external drive? I already have time machine set up with my time capsule, but I want to keep several folders synchronised with their counterparts on a USB drive.
Carbon Copy Cloner

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Or rsync.

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O

Manky posted:

Reeder.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
On my MacBook, I used to use BootChamp to reboot into Windows when I needed to. Now, I've got an iMac with Lion and a Windows 7 partition. BootChamp still works for booting in itself, but whenever I use it I can't change the brightness in Windows, neither with the keyboard nor through the control panel (it's not just me, it's been discussed at lenght on other boards). The only 'fix' I've been able to find is to just hold the option key on boot, but lately that hasn't always been working so I routinely have to reboot two or three times before it'll finally let me select my startup partition. I've also used an app called QuickBoot (pretty much the same as BootChamp), but the issue remains.

Have any of you discovered a simple app to reboot into Windows without screwing with the brightness controls?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Super Duper

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Welcome to the brave new world of sandboxing.

That makes memory leaks worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I was debating posting this in the A/V Forum, but figured I'd start here.

What is the best software to stream media to various devices on a local network from a Mac? I'd like to be able to stream media from my 2011 iMac to the following devices:
- XBox 360
- Samsung TVs (Smart Hub)

Note: I've tried Rivet, but that was fairly inconsistent in connecting to the XBox, and though it was discoverable on the Samsungs it did not stream at all to them. Connect360 is an option, but it costs $20, so I just wanted to see if anyone could suggest another free option before I dive in and buy something. Would XBMC, Plex, or something else be ideal for this?

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 5, 2012