Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

To sum it up: You're working for an institution that has unrealistic and unreasonable expectations, you're white-knighting all their poo poo and asking for seconds.

I really don't want to continue this derail, but that comment is so laughable that I have to ask if you are actually an IT professional, or just an internet superstar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mayodreams posted:

I really don't want to continue this derail, but that comment is so laughable that I have to ask if you are actually an IT professional, or just an internet superstar?
Can we stay on the issues?

Based on your viewpoints, I figured you'd find that laughable.
I see two approaches in all IT/programming or service industries in general: One is to do what the customers say and not question it too much, the other is to try to get to the bottom of what they would want when they have all the information. I have tried to point out that the first approach is more what Microsoft stands for and the second one is more what Apple stands for.

Seeing how you seem to be unhappy with Apple's hardware and software support for your enterprise, I don't think it's laughable or inappropriate to bring up these things, but that's just me. Anyway, I'll stop this "derail" about Apple in an Apple thread now if you let it rest too.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So on the one hand it was consumer demand that pushed the iPhone into the enterprise, but on the other the organization has unrealistic demands when they have expensive workstations and want to use Macs?

You're in for a shock when you find out how many organizations have "unrealistic and unreasonable expectations", by your strange definition. Sounds like you're writing from a position of ignorance with no point except to offend.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xithyl posted:

I didn't get a OS disc with it, bought it used. I swear I used an online guide to make a bootable Lion disc, but that was ages ago and I have no idea where it is now.

Under Disk Utility, so pre-booting any partition, it shows Lion and allows me to 'Erase' it. Windows 7, however, gives me an error relating to mounting (I've tried mounting and unmounting) and says it's unable to erase and the data stays on. That's where I'm posting from now.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but this same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I ended up having to make a bootable USB with Lion on it from Disk Utility within the recovery screen and use that to reformat/reinstall. For whatever reason my Time Machine backups didn't help me get past that spinny loading icon. It worked out in the end though because I was long overdue for a reformat anyway.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

Can we stay on the issues?

You're adorable. :allears: Your deflection just proves my point that you have no idea what are you talking about with regards to an actual corporate or enterprise environment.

For reference:
  • XP Retail Release: 2001
  • Vista Retail Release: 2007 (6 Years)
  • Windows 7 Retail Release: 2009 (2 Years)
  • Windows 8 ETA: This fall (3 years)- I was off on that one.

DarkJC posted:

You're in for a shock when you find out how many organizations have "unrealistic and unreasonable expectations", by your strange definition. Sounds like you're writing from a position of ignorance with no point except to offend.

This.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

mayodreams posted:

Although we are switching to either Avid or Adobe for our NLE next fall, we still need to have FCP in production for at least a year to accommodate upperclassmen. Apple is heavy handed with OS upgrades on new machines, so I would rather get a heads up on potential issues of running FCP7 on ML now than in August/Sept when I have zero time to test anything with our small purchasing window (3 weeks from when we can order and start of class) before getting new machines in and updating the rest.

Just file the drat bug already. bugreport.apple.com. It's quite possible fcp7 + ML is a configuration not a lot of people use but someone cares about.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

MrBond posted:

Just file the drat bug already. bugreport.apple.com. It's quite possible fcp7 + ML is a configuration not a lot of people use but someone cares about.

When I went back to read the crash report for FCP, I realized it was the AJA Kona drivers (for a now legacy product) that were causing the instability, so no need for an Apple bug report.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Is there any way to boot with no startup / resume items with FileVault 2 enabled?

I had to hard reboot because of some busted programs and now it hangs trying to resume them. But in order to safe boot I have to decrypt first and that's a pain.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
10.7.4 just dropped with this little doozy:

quote:

Resolve an issue where the “Reopen windows when logging back in” setting is always enabled

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

quote:

always enabled

I knew it! :argh:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Neurophonic posted:

I came in to post that exact tidbit. Really shocking to me that they waited this long to finally address that issue.

So it wasn't the desired behavior for that thing to be enabled permanently! Tim hosed us hard!!

Wait! Does this mean there's still hope they'll change the dual monitor full screen behavior? Functioning as intended has been the word on the street, but given they fixed this program restore bug after we all thought the status quo was the desired implementation leads me to believe anything is possible.

Edit: changelog
- Resolve an issue where the “Reopen windows when logging back in” setting is always enabled
- Improve compatibility with certain British third-party USB keyboards
- Address an issue that may prevent files from being saved to a server
- Improve the reliability of copying files to an SMB server

decypher fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 9, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

Is it build 11E53?

edit: yes it is.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 9, 2012

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a link to the combo update?

Edit:

Found it
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is it build 11E53?

Yup.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Safari 5.1.7 is also out, along with a security update for Snow Leopard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Safari 5.1.7 is also out
5.1.6 and 5.1.7, oddly enough. 5.1.6 is included in 10.7.4 while 5.1.7 is standalone.

It seems to help the beach-balling/tab crashing with a lot of tabs open behavior that was introduced sometime around 5.1.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I wonder why they decided to have two Safari releases when they could've just released 5.1.6 containing all the fixes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I wonder why they decided to have two Safari releases when they could've just released 5.1.6 containing all the fixes.
Because 5.1.6 was probably code-frozen a while ago for inclusion in 10.7.4. OS patches probably take a lot longer to validate (the first developer seed of 10.7.4 went out almost 2 months ago) than a simple Safari patch, so 5.1.7 most likely continued development independently.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 9, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Because 5.1.6 was probably code-frozen a while ago for inclusion in 10.7.4. OS patches probably take a lot longer to validate (the first developer seed of 10.7.4 went out almost 2 months ago) than a simple Safari patch, so 5.1.7 most likely continued development independently.

Right. Makes sense.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

DarkJC posted:

You're in for a shock when you find out how many organizations have "unrealistic and unreasonable expectations", by your strange definition.

My shock is well contained and that non-expert customers tend to have unrealistic expectations is well-known around the IT and software engineering fields (and all service industries really). We can debate endlessly which expectations exactly are unrealistic, but if you've ever developed software and have had customers request something that was not doable in reality, you'll know what I'm talking about.

mayodreams posted:

Vista Retail Release: 2007 (6 Years)

That's nice but the first released version of Vista, the volume license, came out in November of 2006 (check the same Wikipedia page you linked to) which you, of all people, with your "enterprise" focus should remember. Additionally, this isn't about the name of the year something came out in, but what number of years it would reasonably be rounded to (it's not like something coming out in december of year x and january of year x+1 would make a difference of a year). If a baby was born in December, it's not one year old in the next January.

mayodreams posted:

Your deflection just proves my point that you have no idea what are you talking about with regards to an actual corporate or enterprise environment.

That your whole approach to Apple is making you and your institution unhappy (and resort to "arguments" along the lines of "you're trolling/you're derailing/who are you?") has nothing to do with whether or not I ever worked in IT. And let's be honest - if I told you that I have, your next argument would be "A-ha! But that was not a corporate enterprise school with the management saying X and clinging to Y movie editing software with giving the students Z requirements, so you still don't know what you're talking about!". So I'm not going to take that bait.

As far as I'm concerned, this was a discussion about general principles and not of "my enterprise cred is better than yours, take that!".

Again, at this point I'm also well willing to take this to PMs or similar.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 10, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Neurophonic posted:

It also inverted my display brightness and keyboard lighting.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bob Morales posted:

Neurophonic posted:

It also made Steam spaz out… but that's pretty much Steam's default behaviour so I'm not sure I want to entirely burden .4 with that…

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

flavor posted:

The thread disagreed with me so I'm going to argue semantics for several pages until everyone agrees with me! Foolproof!
Seriously, a cursory glance tells me that the thread as a whole isn't buying your "customers who want to use Windows and Mac computers together are unreasonable" crap, or really showing any interest in the entire argument between you two. I'll be honest, I stopped reading your posts after the first sentence of uninformed, defensive drivel - and I'd very much like them to stop making GBS threads up an otherwise cool thread, please.

Bob Morales posted:

That would drive me batshit insane. What machine?

Anyone try out 10.7.4 Server yet? I'm on vacation so I can't poke around with it too much until this weekend.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Sonic Dude posted:

Anyone try out 10.7.4 Server yet? I'm on vacation so I can't poke around with it too much until this weekend.

I have a VM at the office. Anything you want to look for in particular?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Has anyone had a weird Preview issue where it'll swear a pdf is open, but you can't find it? The context menu for the Dock icon says a file is open, but a single-app expose doesn't show the file. I ended up quitting preview and then re-opening it and the file to get the drat thing to show up.

Other [possibly] related issues involve Quicktime closing upon opening and then hiding a window/file, and a weird thing where I had pdfs open in Preview previously on a 2d monitor, and upon waking up the laptop, they were only vaguely visible on the right side of the screen, and mostly hidden behind the dock, no matter how many times I clicked "bring all to front" or "show all windows" from the dock/window menus.

This was all under 10.7.3, except the 1st issue, which I noticed after upgrading to 10.7.4, for what that's worth.

e. VVV Mine's a summer 2010 MBP. Maybe I was impatient, but restarting Preview and then re-opening the files caused them to open immediately.

Really, I'm just annoyed at the modifications to preview. I don't want to create a new copy so I can rotate a pdf or whatever. :(

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 10, 2012

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
^^^^

Not quite, although sometimes Preview will launch and the PDF won't actually appear for a minute or two. Are there any lightweight apps to quickly open up and scan through PDF files?

I've updated to 10.7.4 on a late 2011 Macbook Pro and haven't run into any problems. I did the combo client update.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Pretty sure the Preview this is a bug relating to apps being "suspended" when you don't use them for a while. Yes, it's retarded.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can a single machine use multiple Time Machine destinations? For example, I have my girlfriend trained to plug in her external hard drive every once in a while and Time Machine does its thing. However, I'd also like to get her laptop using my Time Capsule whenever she brings her computer over so we have an extra layer of protection. I imagine it "just works" if I add my Time Capsule as a Time Machine destination, but I want to make sure it'll continue to use her external as well since that ends up with more frequent snapshots.

Thanks.

Mikey-San posted:

Time Machine will behave. In Lion, you will need to switch the backup disk setting manually. In Mountain Lion, you will be able to set up a list of destinations and Time Machine will deal with the situation automatically:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165496/ten_exciting_system_changes_in_mountain_lion.html

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for Mountain Lion to sort it out automatically.
Resurrecting this topic: I have no idea why, but everything's working automatically with Lion. Maybe it's because one is a network share and the other is a local external disk? Her machine automatically backs up to my Time Capsule when it's on my network, but Time Machine also performs backups whenever she plugs in her external.

Suffice to say, I'm very happy it's working without any headaches.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok. Here's the extent of the argument that I know people to be making. Apple should do more to improve compatibility and frankly general functioning in their server software. That's pretty much all. Thank you come again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sonic Dude posted:

That would drive me batshit insane. What machine?

Current 13" Air. I usually have my screen all the way up and keyboard off. But now what i think it did was just set the screen to automatically dim and the keyboard lighting to automatically come on.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mayodreams posted:

I have a VM at the office. Anything you want to look for in particular?
Mainly wondering what the new payloads/settings are in Profile Manager (come on, iCloud management...). I also am curious to know if you can change the hostname without breaking Profile Manager and requiring a teardown/re-configuration of the whole database.

Am I a nerd for wanting to go into the office and test that during vacation? I have a 10.7.3 server at home, but I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice the house of cards that it is to find out. :)

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Sonic Dude posted:

Mainly wondering what the new payloads/settings are in Profile Manager (come on, iCloud management...). I also am curious to know if you can change the hostname without breaking Profile Manager and requiring a teardown/re-configuration of the whole database.

Am I a nerd for wanting to go into the office and test that during vacation? I have a 10.7.3 server at home, but I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice the house of cards that it is to find out. :)

I can never get Profile Manager to work because of the ssl certs. We have a wildcard cert for our school, and Lion server seems to not approve of it. I had it working in SL Server, but Lion seems to be trickier. Since this is development, I really don't want to buy a cert for a FQDN. I'll poke around though.

I think it is wise you not play with fire at home. :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

10.7.4 working on a MacPro 2009 + 2008, MBP Early 2008, MBA Late 2010, MB 2007+2009, MacMini Mid 2011 with no issues. Used the combo.

Funny thing, Safari on a 10.6.8, v.5.1.7, still has a discrete menu choice and a separate Downloads window. Must be a frameworks thang.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: ^^^ 10.6.8 does not support popovers. Safari thus can't use a popover for the downloads window.

Goddamn, sometimes I forget just how much Finder sucks.

If you put a folder from a removable drive into the sidebar, it'll disappear permanently when that drive is removed. Lucky for me, I have a Mac Pro with a half-dozen internal drives so 99% of the poo poo I actively use is there, which up until now has avoided the problem; but on a whim after installing 10.7.4 I opened Disk Utility and scanned each of my drives to make sure all is well.

Because Disk Utility temporarily unmounted each of the drives during the scan all my Finder sidebar shortcuts have disappeared. :bang: :argh: :smithicide: (There really aren't enough smilies to cover my simultaneous awe, anger, and frustration at the stupidity of Finder.)

And so as to make this something more than just a rant-post, can I request that someone with Mountain Lion check if this still happens with it (I'm sure it will) and maybe file a bug report?

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 10, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you tried making an alias of the directory somewhere else, and then putting that alias in the sidebar? I can't try this at work now, or test your theory, but it might be a way to stop it as that alias doesn't leave your computer when the hard drive does.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What's the most recent Macbook that's still compatible with 10.6 (snow leopard?). My current one is getting kind of beat up but I'd prefer a newer one I don't have to run one of these lion systems on.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Spectacular. Just updated to 10.7.4 on my laptop, and now I see "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed." Argh.

Windows 7 sees the AirPort card just fine, and it persists through all the normal PRAM/SMC reset stuff. Guess I've got a fun evening ahead of me.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What's the most recent Macbook that's still compatible with 10.6 (snow leopard?). My current one is getting kind of beat up but I'd prefer a newer one I don't have to run one of these lion systems on.

You should learn to deal with Lion. Mountain Lion is going to be out this summer and then Snow Leopard will most likely be dropped from being supported (no bug fixes no security fixes etc).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm stuck on SL for the indefinite future. I'd have to pony up several hundred to get Lion-compatible versions of software I need and some of the new versions require you to keep a loving iLok in your USB port whenever you want to use the software. totally shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The 2010 models came with Snow leopard