Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Back up, then upgrade. There is very little reason to clean install these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fart blood posted:

Is it wise to install Mountain Lion on top of Lion? Or should I do a clean install? Does it even matter anymore?

It doesn't matter. The only reason to not install it over Lion is if you want to get a fresh start without the hundreds of pointless apps and preference files you downloaded and created over the past year.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you lose rEFIt upon moving to ML?

I didn't.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The new features page for ML says that you can use two fingers to swipe from the right side of the screen to pull open the notification center. However I've tried this, and it doesn't open it for me. If I open it with the menu, I can then manipulate the size of the notification center, and close it. I can open it again after closing it if I keep my fingers on the trackpad. But as soon as I take my fingers off the trackpad, it won't open again. Anyone else having this problem?

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

IUG posted:

The new features page for ML says that you can use two fingers to swipe from the right side of the screen to pull open the notification center. However I've tried this, and it doesn't open it for me. If I open it with the menu, I can then manipulate the size of the notification center, and close it. I can open it again after closing it if I keep my fingers on the trackpad. But as soon as I take my fingers off the trackpad, it won't open again. Anyone else having this problem?
Swipe left from the outside of your trackpad onto the trackpad itself. Doesn't matter where your pointer is at the time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On a Magic Trackpad you can start the swipe from over near the right edge.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone having trouble downloading Mountain Lion? I keep getting to about 60% of the download, then it stops saying an error occurred.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Wario In Real Life posted:

How would you possibly consider it a downgrade? You can still install Growl...

Also: http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html
I still have Growl installed, but unless there's a reverse-Hiss I can't make programs use it instead of Notifications Center.

I've seen the list of new features. They're a mix of improvements to bundled programs I don't use and incredibly minor things I can't bring myself to care about.

majesticonion
Apr 9, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you lose rEFIt upon moving to ML?

I lost it upgrading to Lion. And now it suddenly came back...

Actie
Jun 7, 2005
Has anyone here played around with Airplay Mirroring? For routine tasks (documents, browsing) as well as video, how's the quality? Any annoying out-of-sync A/V or other delays/problems?

I'm considering plonking down for an Apple TV simply for mirroring. My computer is an 11" MBA (mid-2011 model), which is wonderful in every way except screen size. I'd love to do things like browsing, writing, etc. on a bigger screen (I have a Samsung LCD TV), but am worried about fuzziness, resolution, etc. I don't use iTunes for movies or TV shows, so I wouldn't get any value out of an Apple TV for iTunes-related functions. Should I go for it anyway?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Does anyone use the Dashboard? I know I've seen a couple for weather and package tracking but is there anything else really worth it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Grimmeh posted:

Swipe left from the outside of your trackpad onto the trackpad itself. Doesn't matter where your pointer is at the time.

Oh, that's a weird one. I've never had a gesture start from off the trackpad before.

Moeru posted:

Does anyone use the Dashboard? I know I've seen a couple for weather and package tracking but is there anything else really worth it?

I use it for a weather snippet of wunderground, a quick calculator, 1 sticky note, computer uptime and IP address. Also the dictionary widget because I don't use Safari (Chrome), so I can't use that keyboard shortcut.

I also have a widget for upcoming iCal events, but I guess I can get rid of that now.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!
So Air Play won't work with my 2010 C2D Macbook right?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Moeru posted:

I have a ton of stickies, weather in a couple of cities, a calculator, iStat, and a translation widget. It's pretty useful every once in a while.

On the other hand, if you don't use it, it's fairly unobtrusive, unless you swipe too many screens over.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

amishpurple posted:

Looks like this is the case. I can't understand if this is because it's not fast enough, or there is now a h264 hardware codec on new Mac hardware.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Plorkyeran posted:

I've seen the list of new features. They're a mix of improvements to bundled programs I don't use and incredibly minor things I can't bring myself to care about.

It's been a long time since I've seen such ferocious protection of $20.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Oh, that's a weird one. I've never had a gesture start from off the trackpad before.

It doesn't have to start off the trackpad, just nearer to the edge than usual.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Terpfen posted:

You should read the iOS apps/games threads.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Looks like this is the case. I can't understand if this is because it's not fast enough, or there is now a h264 hardware codec on new Mac hardware.
It's purely hardware accelerated. Technically they could have opted for a software option as there are already 3rd party apps that do this, but they probably wanted to side with solid performance as well as giving people another reason to upgrade their old hardware.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

I installed OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" and it's pretty good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know what the best practice is for importing a user password keychain from 10.7 to 10.8?

e: Aside from migration assistant I mean.
I just grabbed the keychain file and opened it. You can set it as the default login keychain to make everything go there or just leave them separate. If you just want to move one password item over, you can do that and delete the old one once you're done with it.

...not sure if that made much sense, but it's pretty simple to figure out once you mess around with the app a bit.

fart blood posted:

Is it wise to install Mountain Lion on top of Lion? Or should I do a clean install? Does it even matter anymore?
If you want to be safe, think about stuff on your system that might break poo poo like hacks or other somewhat lower level things and update them, review startup items and prefpanes, etc. Backup and install.

Actie posted:

Has anyone here played around with Airplay Mirroring? For routine tasks (documents, browsing) as well as video, how's the quality? Any annoying out-of-sync A/V or other delays/problems?

I'm considering plonking down for an Apple TV simply for mirroring. My computer is an 11" MBA (mid-2011 model), which is wonderful in every way except screen size. I'd love to do things like browsing, writing, etc. on a bigger screen (I have a Samsung LCD TV), but am worried about fuzziness, resolution, etc. I don't use iTunes for movies or TV shows, so I wouldn't get any value out of an Apple TV for iTunes-related functions. Should I go for it anyway?
There's lag to it which would be the biggest thing, otherwise it seems ok. A/V is synced up since it's sending both together to the AppleTV. Well the picture looks blown out for me but I guess that's just a color settings issue with my TV.

IUG posted:

I use it for a weather snippet of wunderground, a quick calculator, 1 sticky note, computer uptime and IP address. Also the dictionary widget because I don't use Safari (Chrome), so I can't use that keyboard shortcut.
Those are in Spotlight too :eng101:

amishpurple posted:

Mirroring, but if you have media in iTunes I think you can AirPlay that since it'll just be streaming the data over. There's also something called AirFlick that's a transcoding player from what I hear, to play whatever other random formats.

Yeah, as of Sandy Bridge (introduced 2011) Intel's CPUs/integrated GPUs come with hardware encoding (well except on the lower end, but Apple doesn't use those).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone notice that you can't use the "battery time remaining" option for your menu bar anymore?

Pretty annoying.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Did anyone notice that you can't use the "battery time remaining" option for your menu bar anymore?

Pretty annoying.

I was annoyed by this in the developer previews (it changed in DP2 I think) but after accepting it, and leaving it on percentage, I've found myself watching my battery a lot less. I'm not getting any shorter or longer battery life, but I'm paying attention and pranging out less about reaching a charger.

It'll probably come back in a point release.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophonic posted:

I was annoyed by this in the developer previews (it changed in DP2 I think) but after accepting it, and leaving it on percentage, I've found myself watching my battery a lot less. I'm not getting any shorter or longer battery life, but I'm paying attention and pranging out less about reaching a charger.

It'll probably come back in a point release.

I actually used it as a quick way to see if I have an errant process sucking up battery. Flash outta control? 1:21 Remaining on a 91% charge. Really helped deal with Chrome and MS Office when they acted up.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Jealous Cow posted:

I actually used it as a quick way to see if I have an errant process sucking up battery. Flash outta control? 1:21 Remaining on a 91% charge. Really helped deal with Chrome and MS Office when they acted up.

In this case, I would just use the CPU meter in menumeters in place of where the time indicator used to be. In terms of use of space, it's give or take a dozen pixels.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

crazysim posted:

In this case, I would just use the CPU meter in menumeters in place of where the time indicator used to be. In terms of use of space, it's give or take a dozen pixels.

Thanks, but I choose to remain grumpy about it.

Thanks a lot, Apple!!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Crackpipe posted:

So glad to see Messages still doesn't really work.

Syncing messages between iPhones and Macs is unreliable at best. The whole thing feels shoddy.

Are you using the code in the locked PDF, or the code to unlock the PDF?

Any whitespace when you copy and paste it?

Oh god I'm a dope, didn't even notice the attached PDF. Or read the emails, I guess. What a weird way to distribute it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Terpfen posted:

$0, but contrary to what you seem to think I am not angry that Apple released an OS upgrade that does not benefit me; I was merely trying to answer the guy asking if there was any reason not to upgrade.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Macs have had realtime h.264 hardware accelerated decoding since the nVidia 9400M and OS X 10.6.1, as nVidia advertised that as a major feature of the 9400M chipset.

And, lo and behold, what a coincidence: the earliest MacBooks, MacBook Airs, and Mac Minis that Mountain Lion will support JUST happen to have 9400Ms. Same goes for iMac Mid 2007s, they started with ATI Radeon HD 2400s and 2600s which have ATI's Avivo built in, their standard for h.264 hardware decoding.

Edit: Just to complete the list, Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pros had the infamous nVidia 8600GT which while many turned out to be defective, the chip itself did have h.264 hardware acceleration; Mac Pro Early 2008s had ATI Radeon 2600XTs and nVidia 8800GTs which had h.264 hardware acceleration, and the Xserve 2009's nVidia GT120 also had it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 30, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Macs have had realtime h.264 hardware accelerated decoding since the nVidia 9400M and OS X 10.6.1, as nVidia advertised that as a major feature of the 9400M chipset.

And, lo and behold, what a coincidence: the earliest MacBooks, MacBook Airs, and Mac Minis that Mountain Lion will support JUST happen to have 9400Ms. Same goes for iMac Mid 2007s, they started with ATI Radeon HD 2400s and 2600s which have ATI's Avivo built in, their standard for h.264 hardware decoding.

Edit: Just to complete the list, Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pros had the infamous nVidia 8600GT which while many turned out to be defective, the chip itself did have h.264 hardware acceleration; Mac Pro Early 2008s had ATI Radeon 2600XTs and nVidia 8800GTs which had h.264 hardware acceleration, and the Xserve 2009's nVidia GT120 also had it.

It's the intel quick sync that's used for mirroring.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

It might be a design decision with the unwashed masses confusing the remaining battery time with the actual clock.

ilc23
Jun 30, 2012
Ever since upgrading to mountain lion I can't get the backlights on my keyboard to work on my Macbook Pro. Using the function keys does nothing and no icon shows up.

In fact it's like they're not even being recognized.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, the best new thing in Mountain Lion is the ability to "Save As" again by holding down the option key while in the File menu. Hells yes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oh god I'm a dope, didn't even notice the attached PDF. Or read the emails, I guess. What a weird way to distribute it.

I did the same thing today as well. Even typed in the key a few times by hand into the program, instead of the PDF.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Boris Galerkin posted:

^^ First time using dictation and I've never used Siri before. How do I get it to enter line breaks? As you can see saying 'return' didn't seem to work.

"New line" and "new paragraph" are what you want.

ilc23
Jun 30, 2012
Nevermind, the backlight connector wasn't connected properly.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

carry on then posted:

No issue on my lowly C2D. Anything in Console around the time of the freeze?

I'm on a MBPr - can't see anything suspicious in the console. There doesn't even seem to be a crash log or anything recorded.

I turned off all extensions, and got a little further into the page before the animations started tearing, and then the system froze again.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The best new feature in Mountain Lion is that sweet new desktop background

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

tofes posted:

The best new feature in Mountain Lion is that sweet new desktop background

I do like those OS specific backgrounds... at work people turn it to a solid color, and I have to tell them to leave my background alone!

Anyway, been on ML for a little over 48 hours now. I love the Messages integration where I don't need to respond to a text on my phone if I'm using my computer, except now I feel like I'm being WUPHF'd every time I get a text message... Notification Center is also nice, I just wish more stuff took advantage of it. In time though. The way the reverted calendar back to be more like Snow Leopard is nice (if you ever used it on Lion you know what I'm talking about). The only app that has given me problems since upgrading is Little Snitch which has suddenly stopped working which I need to investigate, but at least I know why it's not working properly.

The only downside is that occasionally I've had some moments that feel really sluggish, and I don't know why. I am on a 2008 Mac Pro though and didn't do a clean install. At one time I had an external hard drive plugged in and was transferring stuff to it, and everything just started freezing when I'd go to other programs when I've never had happen before. I've also had some delays when opening a folder in finder for the contents to actually appear. I ran a permissions check and repair, as a lot of stuff was wrong, and since then a lot of the sluggishness has gone away. I'm debating if I should clean install but I don't think that will fix anything.

Overall I like it, but don't know if I'd pay money for it. My Wife's Up-To-Date code let me download it on my machine for free, so I figured why not. I also figure this is the last OS my 2008 MacPro is probably going to see.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a keyboard shortcut to make a new desktop space, and is there any way to disable the animation when swiping between spaces? It feels really laggy to me and I'm not a huge fan of animations for the sake of animations anyway.