Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Didion posted:

Hopefully this'll make sense, has anyone else ever experienced hovertext sticking around when you switch to another virtual desktop?

Does it only happen in some applications? I've not seen hovertext doing that, but some apps can be pretty funky when using Spaces (MS Office was a prime offender for years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just realized that somewhere along the way the traffic lights in Mountain Lion got tiny and, in my opinion, less attractive than they used to be.

Here's what they look like now:

Here's what they used to look like, in Snow Leopard:

When did this happen? Is there any way to get the nice, 'fuller' traffic lights back?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Well that's what he said, so I really hope that's what he means. And yes, it's a permissions issue, as I noted. But after he moves them he wants to delete the system-supplied folders from his new user account on the SSD and replace those with aliases to the folders on his old drive. That's just a bad idea (particularly if he's going to do this to ~/Library) unless he's skilled enough to deal with permissions issues and other potential problems, which it seems he isn't.

I found out that trying to move my Desktop folder from /users/myaccount to the root of that drive would force a copy, but I could move the major project folders from the desktop folder to the root and they would move just fine, so I went with that and created aliases to those folders on my SSD desktop. Thanks for the help!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I just realized that somewhere along the way the traffic lights in Mountain Lion got tiny and, in my opinion, less attractive than they used to be.

Here's what they look like now:

Here's what they used to look like, in Snow Leopard:

When did this happen? Is there any way to get the nice, 'fuller' traffic lights back?

It changed in Lion, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to just make them bigger. I've already gotten used to it to be honest...

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

strokevictim posted:

Does it only happen in some applications? I've not seen hovertext doing that, but some apps can be pretty funky when using Spaces (MS Office was a prime offender for years).

I think it might be just Safari? Could it have anything to do with Flash?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

porkface posted:

Which one? I'd love to get this going.

Get a Synology. I received a DS212J and two WD Red 2TB drives for Christmas. It handles my Time Machine backups and hosts my iTunes library. Works great.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Laserface posted:

Netgear ReadyNAS NV4000. i should state that its currently NOT working, because of the previous complaint. but I was using a backup on it in the past (on Lion). maybe firmware updates on the NAS coupled with ML has broken it, I will have to look into it.

from what I can remember it just advertises as "readyNAS" and you have to configure a password for it, and thats it. I stopped using it because my NAS filled up but now i have some more drives in it I want to use it again.

After a bit of reading I can't tell what they're doing exactly. Is it just like the "create a sparse bundle disk image on a share and mount it like a local disk" method I've seen in a few places?

Going to have to try this tonight.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

porkface posted:

After a bit of reading I can't tell what they're doing exactly. Is it just like the "create a sparse bundle disk image on a share and mount it like a local disk" method I've seen in a few places?

Going to have to try this tonight.

Not sure of the specifics behind it, I just tick a box in the NAS admin web interface.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Didion posted:

Hopefully this'll make sense, has anyone else ever experienced hovertext sticking around when you switch to another virtual desktop?
Yeah I've had it a few times, not just in a difference space but within the same space from other apps. I think it's happened to me most in Notational Velocity where hovering over a URL brings up the box, then it sticks around if I switch away. I think it goes away when I switch back, might have to go back over the hovered element first.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Here's the scoop as far as I can tell with TimeMachine to non-TimeCapsule network shares: Lion (and ML) broke all those "create spare bundle, run some terminal commands" tutorials that show up when googling.

Now Time Machine only sees AFP shares, and even then, only AFP shares meeting the newest AFP spec, which broke a lot of third-party NAS products that advertise as TmeMachine-compatible.

TimeCapsule can apparently be faked using a relatively new version of Netatalk on *nix and Avahi to announce the AFP shares it creates, but I haven't been able to get it to work on my Tomato-based router.

There's a hack app called "iTimeMachine" that I just ran on ML and suddenly my SMB and NFS shares showed up in the TimeMachine panel, but I haven't tried an actual backup with it yet. I don't know how much I trust it, don't know when apple will break it, and in the best of circumstances, backups created with this method won't be usable for a clean-slate restore.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Anything to non-HFS+ volumes scares the crap out of me.

edit:
VVV Yeah but that is a far cry from system files.

porkface fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 7, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

porkface posted:

Anything to non-HFS+ volumes scares the crap out of me.

I replaced my "Home/Music/iTunes" folder with a symlink to an NFS share of an ext3 drive. Haven't had a hiccup. The only thing that scares me about that iTimeMachine hack is the lack of documentation or explanation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

moron posted:

My Mac Pro 1,1 is too old to be compatible with Mountain Lion, but will I be able to run it in VMWare instead?

Not sure, but it should work.

You can use Chameleon to boot System 10.8 on your old Mac Pro though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I recently updated to mountain lion and now my computer disconnects from my NAS because apparently the computer going to sleep is enough to turn off the ethernet port.

in addition to that my python install seems all hosed up and sickbeard will eventually stop working as python pegs the CPU at 99% usage.

is there any way to stop the ethernet disconnecting, without fully disabling the computer sleeping?

Heredity
Jan 7, 2013

It'd be nice if Apple would get around to updating their Windows Boot Camp drivers and client (and I don't just mean increasing the version number on the OS X side of things).

I've been dual-booting OS X 10.8.2 and Windows 8 on my non-Retina 2012 MacBook Pro for a while now, using workarounds and generic drivers updated for Windows 8. It'd be nice to see something official from Apple in regards to Windows 8, wouldn't it? I mean, I know it's the competition and everything, but people do like to use Windows in conjunction with their Mac hardware and they rely on Apple to keep the software allowing them to do so up-to-date.

Heredity fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 7, 2013

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Heredity posted:

It'd be nice if Apple would get around to updating their Windows Boot Camp drivers and client (and I don't just mean increasing the version number on the OS X side of things).

I've been dual-booting OS X 10.8.2 and Windows 8 on my non-Retina 2012 MacBook Pro for a while now, using workarounds and generic drivers updated for Windows 8. It'd be nice to see something official from Apple in regards to Windows 8, wouldn't it? I mean, I know it's the competition and everything, but people do like to use Windows in conjunction with their Mac hardware and they rely on Apple to keep the software allowing them to do so up-to-date.

While I can see your point.. I've been using the Mac now for all of 5 days, and it's blatantly obviously to me that Windows is a second class citizen as far as Apple is concerned. I think the fact you can bootcamp Windows AT ALL is a bonus. :)

Heredity
Jan 7, 2013

binarysmurf posted:

I've been using the Mac now for all of 5 days, and it's blatantly obviously to me that Windows is a second class citizen as far as Apple is concerned.

If that were the case, I wouldn't think they'd push Parallels so much.

quote:

I think the fact you can bootcamp Windows AT ALL is a bonus. :)

That's one way of going about it. I'd probably be the same if they'd truly updated Bootcamp since 2011.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

binarysmurf posted:

While I can see your point.. I've been using the Mac now for all of 5 days, and it's blatantly obviously to me that Windows is a second class citizen as far as Apple is concerned. I think the fact you can bootcamp Windows AT ALL is a bonus. :)

Unless you're playing games is there any good reason to use Bootcamp and not virtualization software of some sort?

Heredity
Jan 7, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Unless you're playing games is there any good reason to use Bootcamp and not virtualization software of some sort?

Personal preference and convenience (especially if you do a lot more work under Windows than OS X, but still need OS X).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Safari and Gmail: does the browser switch over to the Gmail tab for anybody else whenever Gmail is loaded? Like I'll open a tab and login to Gmail with it, then as that's loading I'll cmd + t twice and start going to say Facebook and Twitter, and then my active tab just switches over to Gmail and it's really annoying.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Nevermind, I apologize.

Polymerized Cum fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 7, 2013

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Bob Morales posted:

I basically set Bootcamp up because I could, and to have a look at how SWTOR runs on current iMac hardware. As an additional bonus, in the event I take my machine into work I just have to boot into Windows 7 Pro if AD on OS X won't talk to the work server.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
While we're talking about Bootcamp:

I'm running Windows 8 through Bootcamp. I'll randomly hit rough patches where I get the blue screen that says BAD_POOL_HEADER and restarts over and over again, until it randomly fixes itself for a time.

Has anyone else run into this? I've doing some Googling but haven't found any definitive solutions. I've read that "Disabling the PnP driver in Monitors within Device Manager" helps, I just worry that doing that is going to disable my iMac screen or something since it's a monitor driver.

Maybe it's just because Windows 8 isn't officially supported yet, just thought I'd try asking.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 8, 2013

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

triplexpac posted:

While we're talking about Bootcamp:

I'm running Windows 8 through Bootcamp. I'll randomly hit rough patches where I get the blue screen that says BAD_POOL_HEADER and restarts over and over again, until it randomly fixes itself for a time.

Has anyone else run into this? I've doing some Googling but haven't found any definitive solutions. I've read that "Disabling the PnP driver in Monitors within Device Manager" helps, I just worry that doing that is going to disable my iMac screen or something since it's a monitor driver.

Maybe it's just because Windows 8 isn't officially supported yet, just thought I'd try asking.

While doing some cursory searching about Win8 I remember reading something similar and the fix was to rollback video card drivers. Maybe try searching for that, but I know it was a fix for some Win8 BSOD in bootcamp.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Vomik posted:

While doing some cursory searching about Win8 I remember reading something similar and the fix was to rollback video card drivers. Maybe try searching for that, but I know it was a fix for some Win8 BSOD in bootcamp.

That could very well be the fix, since I think this started happening once I updated my video card drivers to a beta for FTL to work properly. Hard to tell though, I haven't been using Windows 8 for too long so maybe it was always going to end up doing this.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I need visual studio for a class this term (let's not dwell on that for too long :suicide:) Is there any way to get this to run semi-natively without having to buy a license for windows and bootcamp. I basically really want to avoid having to reboot my MBA every time I need to use this garbage.

Is parallels more of a 'native' program? I checked crossover and they say 2010/2012 is unsupported.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Worst case scenario I guess I boot up a VM and run it in there. Glad I sprung for the 8GB upgrade if that's the route I have to go.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

SeaborneClink posted:

I need visual studio for a class this term (let's not dwell on that for too long :suicide:) Is there any way to get this to run semi-natively without having to buy a license for windows and bootcamp. I basically really want to avoid having to reboot my MBA every time I need to use this garbage.

Is parallels more of a 'native' program? I checked crossover and they say 2010/2012 is unsupported.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Worst case scenario I guess I boot up a VM and run it in there. Glad I sprung for the 8GB upgrade if that's the route I have to go.

I use VS2012 everyday for work. I got VS2010 to work in wine but it was very very poor and since I needed IIS and some other things ended up going with Parallels. The coherence mode in parallels allows windows apps to run in a more native mode and besides a few quarks here and there seems to work really well. Performance is great with only 4GB of ram dedicated to the VM (have 12GB total). A coworker of mine uses virtualbox to do roughly the same thing but I don't believe they support any kind of integrated mode so things appear seamless.

Another alternative depending on what the course actually requires is to just use Mono and Monodevelop.

I realize this doesn't save you from buying windows but if this is for an actual school you could inquire with your instructor to see if they are enrolled in the Microsoft education stuff and get a dirt cheap student edition of Windows ($30 bucks if I recall the discount right).

Edit: Here are the terms for the educational stuff. Apparently all you really need is a .edu email.

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.Terms

spaced ninja fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 8, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there an easy way in Safari (or Firefox or Chrome I guess) to save all my open tabs and open them on another computer?

I get home and pull up 20 tabs on various sites, and I'd like to just go to bed and read them at work (on my lunch hour of course) tomorrow instead of trying to find and re-open them all.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an easy way in Safari (or Firefox or Chrome I guess) to save all my open tabs and open them on another computer?

I get home and pull up 20 tabs on various sites, and I'd like to just go to bed and read them at work (on my lunch hour of course) tomorrow instead of trying to find and re-open them all.

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2591582

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Bob Morales posted:

iCloud tabs? You still gotta go through and open them I guess.

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Safari and Gmail: does the browser switch over to the Gmail tab for anybody else whenever Gmail is loaded? Like I'll open a tab and login to Gmail with it, then as that's loading I'll cmd + t twice and start going to say Facebook and Twitter, and then my active tab just switches over to Gmail and it's really annoying.

I get it a lot too, and it drives me loving batty. Glad to know it's not just me!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bob Morales posted:

I use Chrome Sync like eddie suggested and really enjoy it. iCloud always had some weird syncing issues that Google never has (bookmarks included). If you're on 10.8 I guess you can try both.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Have you considered using a read later service like Instapaper?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Got a weird thing happening on the gf's Mac.
Lately the system time (in the menubar, etc.) has started falling behind.

Going into Sys Prefs and presumably forcing a ntp sync obviously fixes it.

Anyone seen this before?
Is there a way to make ntp sync more often?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've recently noticed that my menu bar frequently goes very slightly blurry:

(top: normal / bottom: blurry)

I can't seem to find out whats triggered it but changing my resolution to something different then changing it back fixes the problem, for a little while at least. It also seems to only be on the left side of the bar - my wifi / clock / notification centre icons are all fine, as is the rest of the screen. Not a big deal but it sometimes catches my eye. I'm using a 20-inch, Early 2008 iMac running Mountain Lion. Any ideas?

EDIT: just hovered my cursor over the blurry area, it stays sharp so I guess it's not a fault with the screen.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Why would I start suddenly receiving emails to my (pretty much unused) .me email account from local businesses that are ALL addressed to seriesofnumbers@me? It's kind of bizarre and makes me wonder what's going on.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

iostream.h posted:

Why would I start suddenly receiving emails to my (pretty much unused) .me email account from local businesses that are ALL addressed to seriesofnumbers@me? It's kind of bizarre and makes me wonder what's going on.
It's possible you've been unknowingly composing / replying to e-mails via your .me account if it's set as the primary composition account in your settings.
When I hit "new" it defaults to .me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I just got a new portable USB 3.0 hard drive (MyPassport 2TB) as a late Christmas gift to myself and have been in the process of formatting and attempting to move over my media and Time Machine partitions from my current external USB 2.0 hard drive (WD Elements 1TB).

Last night I started the copy/paste of the Time Machine data after formatting a partition on the new drive. I saw it get to about 1/3 or 1/2 way through the ~145GB transfer before going to bed. I had plugged my 2011 MBA into AC power, gone into power settings and set "computer sleep" to never, unchecked "put hard drives to sleep when possible" and left display sleep at something like 15 minutes. When I checked this morning there was an error that had interrupted it, where the HD had ejected somehow.

I decided to try deleting the interrupted TM backup from the new TM partition and try again later. It's still making its way through that now but in the meantime I tried copying over my old media partition to the new partition for that. I checked on it remotely from work and after about an hour I got the same error.

Now the drive is unmounted and isn't showing up anymore under System Information, which didn't happen this morning. I'm not at home yet to unplug and replug the drive, agonizingly.

I've never had any problems with this WD drive before, is this something to do with interaction between USB 2.0 and 3.0, or does it sound like it's getting to the end of the road?

EDIT: Clarified a couple things.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 10, 2013

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

iostream.h posted:

I've had this happen too recently, but it hasn't been local businesses. I just figured it was iCloud mail not handling mass spammers well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

It suddenly occurred that they're serving images remotely based on my ip? Would that work? It's kind of freaking me out cause I don't use that email for ANYTHING.