Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
Wow, this is long, but I went and played with both versions of Preview to really study the changes and find out why this is such a problem for some.

amf5 posted:

I meant "no, try it" as in "no, try it and you'll see that export is not a functional equivalent of save as". Yeah, if you're just switching output formats it works similarly, but if you make a change and want to save it as something else in its original format it won't let you. Also, I don't know if this is a bug or if it's intentional, but if you're using export and change directories, then change output formats, you're put back into the original directory. It's a pain in the rear end and seems like an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken at all.

So, I just did this. I downloaded a picture from the internet and I cropped it (and I did other things too). The very first thing it says to me is this:

So then I select Duplicate and it creates a new one with just my crop.

Then I close it (the duplicate) and the Save dialog comes up and asks me to name it, what format I want, etc. All the things the old preview save dialog box with the added benefit of preserving the original.

Then I went back to the original, and chose "Export", and aside from a few less formats being able to be chosen, the file is exported.

It seems the argument that people don't like the fact that "Save As" closing the old version and open the new one with no real communication that this change has occurred has been removed?

So, in Preview:

- Duplicate is "open me another file so that I can make it different."
- Export is "save a copy of the current file as some other format."

- Save As... was "close the current file, place the new file where I asked to save it, and then open it"

I agree, it's 1 more step. I agree, it seems you can't export to as many formats as you could in the old preview. But it seems way more logical. You always know the status of your file.

Fake Edit:

I did even more testing on this. Every file I used said "- Locked" and I didn't know what that meant so I figured out why and continued playing. I think it had to do with files that weren't created in OSX with one of these version aware programs start out locked. So I took a screenshot of my desktop and manipulated that.

- I cropped the screenshot without being prompted to duplicate first. Then, the word "- Edited" showed up at the top of the screen. So I closed it.

- Reopening it, I got the cropped one, but I was able to use version control to get back to the original.

- So I exported the original, and again, despite having less options, the only difference I see between Preview 5.0.3 and Preview 5.5 is that the exported copy isn't the one that was open at the end of exporting using Preview 5.5.

- I then duplicated it, cropped it, and saved it successfully and I don't see how it's any different*.

*BUT IT MAY BE FOR SOME and here's my reasoning:

I think where some of us are "confused" by this is our workflows are different. Previously, when I knew I wanted to make a change to a file, but keep the original, I duplicated it in Finder first and then edited the duplicate. I did this to make sure that I had a different copy. I didn't rely on "Save As" to make a proper copy.

I think some people's workflow was open the original, make changes, then they want to save a different copy, so they went to Save As after making the changes. I always felt that doing it this way made it too easy to screw up and do Apple-S while working and save changes to the original that I didn't want to make.

My new altered workflow only requires me not to go into Finder to make my duplicate first, and I feel this is really nice.

This is 1 extra step (an alteration of your workflow) if you were in the "work in the original first" camp. It's making your originals safer. This and version control.

This is just an alteration of your workflow if you were in the "make a duplicate first" camp.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why has Apple done nothing new with the Dashboard (other than changing how to access it) since it was added in Tiger?

I was just thinking about this. It's pretty telling that most of the dashboard widgets I found when I searched for stuff that was relevant to my interests were from 2008 or thereabouts.

It's pretty handy for a quick check of the weather, but as you mentioned the weather widget is a little buggy sometimes :(

I predict we'll see them phase it out or combine it with something in 10.8 in the same way they rolled Exposé into Mission Control.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

frumpsnake posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with Time Machine in Lion where it continually backs up a shitload of data despite no actual changes taking place? I don't recall it ever happening on Snow Leopard.

Absolutely I have. It's strange. I am pretty religious if not obsessive about backing up time machine multiple times a day. Today I was very surprised to see that time machine had 17 GB worth of data to back up. I did download all the previously bought but then lost tv shows from iTunes yesterday, but ran time machine after the fact (which transferred about 10gb worth of data) right before I went to bed and shut off the computer. Strange.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

I did even more testing on this. Every file I used said "- Locked" and I didn't know what that meant. I think it had to do with files that weren't created in OSX with one of these version aware programs start out locked. So I took a screenshot of my desktop and manipulated that.

"Locked" means that the application won't auto-save changes on top of the existing file. If you start to edit the file, you will get the dialog you saw above. You'd just have to explicitly say you want to begin auto-saving over the existing file.

Files will be automatically locked after a certain length of time with no edits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

x-virge posted:

"Locked" means that the application won't auto-save changes on top of the existing file. If you start to edit the file, you will get the dialog you saw above. You'd just have to explicitly say you want to begin auto-saving over the existing file.

Files will be automatically locked after a certain length of time with no edits.

Yeah, I learned what that meant while writing it that but felt the paragraph about that made a long post even longer and wasn't relevant to what I was trying to convey. I should go remove the sentence about not knowing what that meant.

And I do like that feature as well, but I have a feeling it is going to cause a lot of headaches explaining it to end users (who am I kidding, every time we update something we have to re-train end users :eng99:)

Thanks though, your explanation was clear and hopefully will help others.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

decypher posted:

Absolutely I have. It's strange. I am pretty religious if not obsessive about backing up time machine multiple times a day. Today I was very surprised to see that time machine had 17 GB worth of data to back up. I did download all the previously bought but then lost tv shows from iTunes yesterday, but ran time machine after the fact (which transferred about 10gb worth of data) right before I went to bed and shut off the computer. Strange.

I wish it was only 17GB. This is 2 hours after my last backup:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone here having problems getting gmail to sync with the Mail app in Mac OS X?

I can't get gmail to sync with it. It syncs at first. Then out of nowhere it can't sync anymore. On top of that, it also causes my iPhone to not sync with gmail either (the iPhone then says my username and password are incorrect, even though I know they are correct.)

Anyone else have this issue? I've had it since Snow Leopard, actually, and it's been driving me nuts. A google search for fixes don't help my issue either.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I was just thinking about this. It's pretty telling that most of the dashboard widgets I found when I searched for stuff that was relevant to my interests were from 2008 or thereabouts.

It's pretty handy for a quick check of the weather, but as you mentioned the weather widget is a little buggy sometimes :(
I just disabled Dashboard on my Air. I don't really need the memory savings, but I'm tired of seeing it when I use Mission Control. I check the weather and stock quotes on my iPhone when I'm on the go anyway. I'll leave Dashboard doing its thing on my iMac just so I get Delivery Status notifications pushed.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

I just disabled Dashboard on my Air. I don't really need the memory savings, but I'm tired of seeing it when I use Mission Control. I check the weather and stock quotes on my iPhone when I'm on the go anyway. I'll leave Dashboard doing its thing on my iMac just so I get Delivery Status notifications pushed.
It doesn't show up in MC if you remove it from its own space.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

frumpsnake posted:

I wish it was only 17GB. This is 2 hours after my last backup:

Are you running Parallels or some other VM?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

Are you running Parallels or some other VM?
I'm not running any VMs and have the same problem.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Am I going crazy or is the SMART data new in Disk Utility in Lion?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You're crazy.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You're crazy.
What was I doing wasting my time with SMART Utility for all these years, then?! :suicide:

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
If you want to know what Time Machine should back up, modulo a few details, use `sudo tmutil compare` without any options. It will determine what needs to be backed up since your last completed backup. If that disagrees with what you see in the Time Machine progress UI (menu item or pref pane), file a bug and include the data generated by tmdiagnose.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

frumpsnake posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with Time Machine in Lion where it continually backs up a shitload of data despite no actual changes taking place? I don't recall it ever happening on Snow Leopard.

I think it could possibly be related to my SSD+HDD Optibay setup. Based on the size, it looks like it's continually re-backing up everything on the HDD, much of which is symlinked to my user profile on the SSD.

I don't use Time Machine very often, but I'm having pretty severe Spotlight issues with my SSD+HDD setup.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
tmutil compare lists 9.6M of changes compared to Time Machine's 140GB, so yeah, let's just assume there's a bug.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
New cool problem when trying to install Lion. After it reboots and it has me select the drive to install to, my Mac partition isn't on there. Just my Lion Recovery partition or whatever and my bootcamp partition. When I use this screen to pull up Disk Utility, the partition is listed, but when I try to verify it, it says "Verify volume failed: Invalid request". I also can't do anything to it.

I'm guessing I'm going to need my Snow Leopard disk and burn everything to the ground and try again but aaaaa this is irritating. Any ideas?

edit: okay it let me format the bootcamp partition so I'm using that then I'll try to merge the partitions and destroy the Snow Leopard bullshit if Lion works, I think that will work, I don't know! and then I have to redo all the bootcamp stuff I did today. Cool.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 4, 2011

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Why has Apple done nothing new with the Dashboard (other than changing how to access it) since it was added in Tiger? It seems even more noticeable now that it's shown as a dedicated Space in Mission Control. I suppose they added Web Clip, but do they expect people to fill Dashboard with Web Clips? I haven't found a good use for it and still find myself using the same couple of widgets that I've had for years. Hell the Weather widget is still broken after how many years and likes to shift down on its own every time it loads.

Does anyone have any good Web Clip ideas to share?

This makes me sad too :( I think Dashboard has a lot of potential, but because there's been no hype about it in a few years developers haven't been making anything cool for it. One of the things I used to love about one of the older versions of Transmit is that it had an accompanying Dashboard widget where you could drag and drop files to upload, but it's been dead since the latest major release of Transmit.

I think if Apple made a Dashboard Widget section of the Mac app store we'd start seeing a lot of cool stuff again. I wouldn't mind paying 99 cents for a useful widget.

I wonder if the fact that the iOS 5 notification system has widgets built in means we'll see something similar happen to OS X down the line, where Dashboard gets rolled into some kind of global notification center.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The problem with that Transmit widget was that it was just as easy for me to pick up the files, hit the Exposé key and drop them right into Transmit as it was to bring up the Dashboard and drop them there.

And actually that's my problem with a lot of widgets that sound like they'd be useful. It's easier for me to do stuff without them.

Dashboard always struck me as an information resource and nothing more, but I completely understand if people don't agree.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Anyone else get this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I like dashboard and wish people were still putting out good widgets for it, but it seems to have died off in 2010.

There is an awesome package tracker widget, one that checks your apps for updates, I sometimes use the calculator. The calendar widget can be expanded to show the month and if there is an ical event on a date. Adding clocks for different time zones you deal with is handy.

So it seems kind of a bummer that its barren and feels like it may end up being phased out some day, but still it is a throw back to desk accessories from the old days so maybe it will stick around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Anyone else get this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427084

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Am I going crazy or is the SMART data new in Disk Utility in Lion?

New to me :shobon:

(uploaded through Dashboard with an Imgur widget :eng101:)

Martytoof posted:

The problem with that Transmit widget was that it was just as easy for me to pick up the files, hit the Exposé key and drop them right into Transmit as it was to bring up the Dashboard and drop them there.

And actually that's my problem with a lot of widgets that sound like they'd be useful. It's easier for me to do stuff without them.

Dashboard always struck me as an information resource and nothing more, but I completely understand if people don't agree.
It just varies a lot depending on the widgets you find and how you work I guess. I have a few basic "utility" type widgets that I leave there and use semi often, and it's for random stuff that I wouldn't bother having a full blown app for, or in some cases I find them better than some apps.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Alright, the Omni-folks just replied on my e-mail regarding the text/bar sizes in Omniplan. I got this answer:

Omnigroup support fellow posted:

We increased the size and spacing in OmniPlan 2 because a lot of users asked for it in OmniPlan 1. There isn't a way to change how OmniPlan 2's task bars look, but we've received some feedback from our users about this and will be looking into adding a feature that will allow you to configure the task bar sizing and spacing.

I guess they don't use the software themselves, because it would be quite noticeable. Then again, I might be a bitter and angry computer-user. So, now it's time to wait!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just took delivery of a new 15" MBP to replace my 13" MBP running Snow Leopard.

What's the best way to get all my crap from my 13" MBP shifted over? Migration assistant through firewire? What happens to all the stuff on the 13"? I'm giving it to my younger brother and he'd like to keep the music if possible.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Migration Assistant will copy all your data to your new notebook. It will not erase anything on the old notebook.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Shin-chan posted:

Yeah, I learned what that meant while writing it that but felt the paragraph about that made a long post even longer and wasn't relevant to what I was trying to convey. I should go remove the sentence about not knowing what that meant..

You may want to also strike through your wrong explanation for it, in case someone doesn't notice X-virge's post and is either misled or posts to correct you.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

I only just realized while setting up my new machine that Fraise is dead. :cry:

You can still find it on MacUpdate and such but it won't be updated for Lion.

Kod looks like a promising alternative.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Another bug I noticed:

Fonts I had loaded with no problem in Snow Leopard are now giving serious errors when installing on Lion. Many of my fonts (not pre-installed on the Mac - these are fonts that I got elsewhere) are now showing the error: "'kern' table structure and contents okay." It says this error is serious.

However, other Font Validators like Font Doctor and MS Font Validator are not showing any problems.

My fonts work in Adobe and no programs have crashed yet as a result of them. Are my fonts bad? Or is Font Book just useless? Anyone else have Font validation issues with Font Book in Lion?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Lion looks like fun, but I think I speak for all the Snow Leopard holdouts when I say :smug:

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

lord funk posted:

Lion looks like fun, but I think I speak for all the Snow Leopard holdouts when I say :smug:

I'm actually having no issues with Lion. :smugissar:

Well, I think I will pick up a copy of windows 7 just so I can use dvdfab. It's really the only thing that the mac doesn't truly have an equivalent for. That and modern games, but...

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 4, 2011

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

lord funk posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to go back to Snow Leopard on my computer for the forseeable future.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

SERIOUS posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to go back to Snow Leopard on my computer for the forseeable future.

I think I'm going to go back to OS 9 on my computer.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I'm actually having no issues with Lion. :smugissar:

Only GPGMail and the incredible slowness with Photoshop I ran into today. :smith:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

lord funk posted:

what

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

coldplay chiptunes posted:

what

He's that guy that thought Windows 98 was a downgrade from Windows 95.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

geonetix posted:

Only GPGMail and the incredible slowness with Photoshop I ran into today. :smith:

Yeah the whole Adobe Create Suite runs quite poorly on Lion. It doesn't appear to be unstable and I have not experienced a crash, but things do run very slowly.

I like Lion but I simply can't use it yet.

every
Apr 24, 2008

With Mail 5.0, I've found that the "author" and "subject" of items are switched in a crappy way. For example, from my RSS:

It would be awesome if I could make the news headline bolded on the first line, and the author (in this case, "Top Stories - Google News") a normal weight on the second line.

Is there any way to do this? Couldn't find it in the settings.

Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SERIOUS posted:

Yeah the whole Adobe Create Suite runs quite poorly on Lion. It doesn't appear to be unstable and I have not experienced a crash, but things do run very slowly.

I like Lion but I simply can't use it yet.
Adobe CS has worked absolutely perfectly for me. Perhaps the issue is with your workflow or Lion install?