Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone use a music player other than iTunes?

I found this one that's kind of neat

http://github.com/maculateConception/aural-player

I just want a Winamp that I can use to play music without adding poo poo to my library blah blah. I'm always copying music around and just want to play poo poo from a folder.

Turns out VLC plays music just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why does apple even have search in the messages app? All it's ever done is crash

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Wow, they removed telnet and ftp from High Sierra.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

brew install...

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So my 2020 iMac has started freezing up shortly after boot. I thought it was a hardware issue but it seems to not happen in Boot Camp, which points me to something wrong in OSX.

What's my best route to fix? Flatten and reinstall?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

So my 2020 iMac has started freezing up shortly after boot. I thought it was a hardware issue but it seems to not happen in Boot Camp, which points me to something wrong in OSX.

What's my best route to fix? Flatten and reinstall?

Get a new diamond for your time machine. :science:

Then check logs and console and all that to see if there's any message that coincides with the freeze… and then flatten and reinstall.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just because it doesn't happen in Windows doesn't mean it's not a hardware issue. I'd run a RAM test first. On a typical PC I'd run memtest86+ at least back in the day. Not sure what people use for thorough memory testing on Macs but you can boot the onboard diagnostic. Cmd D? Google it I guess. If the RAM checked out fine I would try to load the CPU with Prime95 or something. Finally, it could be the GPU. All those things can cause intermittent kernel panics / crashes. Also I am constantly impressed by Windows' ability to boot an unstable machine. Very frequently when over clocking I'd be able to get to a Windows desktop while any kind of load causes immediate failure.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Does the messages and iMessages sync suck? I've logged in and out multiple times and it never stays in sync.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It doesn't sync. It delivers to multiple devices. People erroneously describe it as sync. If your device wasn't registered with iMessage when the message was sent, it won't be encrypted with the device key, and can't be delivered to that device. I.e. you won't receive old messages only new ones.

iMessage sync via iCloud was supposed to be a thing in iOS 11? But they took it out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Also I was right about the cause of the Disk Utility bug although not completely
https://cocoaengineering.com/2017/10/08/reverse-engineering-macos-high-sierra-supplemental-update/

It was a framework call that populated two dict values representing pwd and hint to the same value. Not a bug in Disk Utility but a dependency. OOPS

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Pivo posted:

iMessage sync via iCloud was supposed to be a thing in iOS 11? But they took it out.

I'm still wondering how it's supposed to work with the way they encrypt messages and stuff.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Axiem posted:

I'm still wondering how it's supposed to work with the way they encrypt messages and stuff.

Instead of device key encrypt with Apple held iCloud key.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Huh. I would have thought it would be moved from the device to your Apple Keychain. Or is that what you meant?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

OK so the way iMessage works, and you can go read their whitepaper if you want, is basically when you sign into iMessage with a device, it generates a private key and public key, the device keeps the private key and sends Apple the public key, and then each time you get sent an iMessage, the message is actually encrypted with each signed-on device's public key. It gets a little weirder when you are sending rich attachments because public key cryptography sucks for that so there's some sort of symmetric key exchange that goes on for photos/videos/etc and I can't recall the details, but at a high level your iMessage is encrypted once for each signed-on device and Apple only has the pub keys and your device has the priv key. So theoretically if you sign out of iMessage and sign back in, your device shouldn't be able to decrypt any past iMessages - except if they're already stored decrypted on your device. So if you restore from backup you keep your old messages, even if they were decrypted with a key you don't have anymore.

iCloud is a little different. The stuff stored on iCloud, Apple actually has your private key, or can regenerate it. Theoretically Apple could be compelled to release anything in plaintext stored on your iCloud. It's not stored with a per-device private key, that wouldn't really work... I mean, at all, that wouldn't work at all, you're supposed to want to access your historical data from a new device, unlike iMessage.

So my point was that, iMessage sync to iCloud would have encrypted your iMessages with Apple's stored iCloud key, instead of the per-device key. But iMessage iCloud Sync is not a feature Apple currently supports. It was supposed to be in iOS 11 but it wasn't, later they say, for unknown reasons.

The tl;dr is: sign onto iMessage on all devices you want to receive iMessages, and you will get all FUTURE iMessages, but you literally cannot decrypt old ones even if they were rebroadcast to you.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, I recall how the key exchange works for rich data. The device generates a symmetric key and sends the attachment (encrypted with the sym. key) and the symmetric key itself encrypted - multiple times - with each receiving device's public key. So Apple hosts the file, encrypted with a symmetric key, but each device needs to have its private key to know what the symmetric key is. It's quite clever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I did a clean install of high Sierra and now safari is being really annoying. I use the url bar as a search bar but now if I search for something, after I hit enter the drop down window doesn't close and is still offering me search suggestions. I checked safari preferences and disabled both the google and safari/siri suggestions but it still shows me the god drat dropdown.

Did something change in Safari that the dropdown menu is persistent now? Because it's hella annoying and should not persist after I hit enter.

e: for clarity here is what I see even after I hit enter: (not my picture cause I'm on my phone, but this is the drop down menu/suggestions I'm talking about):

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 9, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anyone hates iTunes 12.7's guts for removing features they wanted to keep, you can download a special version of iTunes (v.12.6.3) for Mac that still keeps the ability to download App Store apps and ringtones at this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Pivo posted:

the device keeps the private key and sends Apple the public key, and then each time you get sent an iMessage, the message is actually encrypted with each signed-on device's public key.

Definitely, and this is what makes it end-to-end secure, because as I understand it, Apple doesn't even get the unencrypted message. Each device holds the public keys for each other device, and encrypts it on device, and sends the encrypted messages to Apple for distribution.

Because of this, it's not actually possible for Apple to obtain the plaintext of your messages; they never get them in the first place, and don't have the information necessary to decrypt the encrypted form they have hanging around in the message bus.

Pivo posted:

This would blow that away, and it means that Apple could obtain the plaintext of messages, because they'd have both the private key (necessary for decryption) and the message encrypted with the corresponding public key.

So it's possible I'm misunderstanding something, but how would Apple implement this whole "devices sync messages" thing without causing a massive security hole that a subpoena could walk right through?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Axiem posted:

So it's possible I'm misunderstanding something, but how would Apple implement this whole "devices sync messages" thing without causing a massive security hole that a subpoena could walk right through?

Re-broadcast re-encrypted messages with new device's pubkey from devices that have the decrypted iMessages already, that could work too I guess. But because Apple said via iCloud, it does mean they want to store it for replay on their terms (what if you lost your only device) - and iCloud is already vulnerable to subpoena.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
Couldn't Apple just have your phone encrypt each new message using a symmetric key that is only shared between your devices? You then push each encrypted message to Apple's servers so your other devices can download or realize they already have it. Whenever you sign up a new device the old ones secretly share the symmetric key using public key encryption.

I guess your messages would still be lost if you bought a new device and only activated it after getting rid of all your old device, since you couldn't get ahold of the symmetric key in that case. But now you're no worse off than the current situation of new devices getting no old messages from iCloud no matter what you do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CKyle posted:

Couldn't Apple just have your phone encrypt each new message using a symmetric key that is only shared between your devices? You then push each encrypted message to Apple's servers so your other devices can download or realize they already have it. Whenever you sign up a new device the old ones secretly share the symmetric key using public key encryption.

I guess your messages would still be lost if you bought a new device and only activated it after getting rid of all your old device, since you couldn't get ahold of the symmetric key in that case. But now you're no worse off than the current situation of new devices getting no old messages from iCloud no matter what you do.

That is usually how encrypted communications take place in general. From TLS to PGP encryption.

Asymmetrical encryption (pub/private key) is almost *always* used to facilitate the distribution of a symmetric key (either new keys or the rekeying every X messages/packets/secs). Using asymmetric for the messages themselves is a whole lot more resource intensive than just doing the initial key exchange.

The public/private key pair usually does not change (or has a shelf-life measured in months/years). In Pivo's version, if they move to iCloud based key pairs, that means you private key is now in iCloud. It would be trivial at that point for Apple to replay your traffic and pull plaintext from it, since they can now get the session keys used to decrypt any given message.

I would think that storing the keypair in the Apple Keychain (which is itself encrypted using a symmetric key) would be enough to deter decryption, but still allow any device that uses that keychain to have access. And also would allow message sync. As far as I know Apple themselves do not have access to peer into your keychain regardless of if you use the same keychain on all devices or not via iCloud. I'll see what I can dig up when I have the time.

Now, if that's not the case and Apple will have access to your private key, then it's time to move to another messaging app like Signal.

EDIT: Yeah, if Apple is using "iCloud Keychain", it looks like they can't get to it. Now it doesn't definitively state "We cannot access the data" just "We cannot recover the security code", the implication is there and Apple has earned a little trust with me regarding this stuff.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

quote:

Can Apple recover my iCloud Security Code?
No. If you enter your iCloud Security Code incorrectly too many times, you can't use that iCloud Keychain. You can contact Apple Support, who can help verify your identity so that you can try to enter your iCloud Security Code again. After a number of incorrect attempts, your iCloud Keychain is removed from Apple's servers, and you'll need to set up iCloud Keychain again.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 10, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is there a mainstream fix for the High Sierra password vulnerability yet, or do I still have to go install a supplemental update manually? About to upgrade.

edit: answered my own question. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208165

quote:

New downloads of macOS High Sierra 10.13 include the security content of the macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update.

brap fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 11, 2017

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
What's the current best cross-Apple devices email app? I want an app that I can manage my iCloud and Gmail accounts with in one inbox. And, when I archive something in the app I want it to actually archive the message for the account. I tried Spark and it wouldn't actually archive my Gmail messages which was annoying.

I know the OP recommend a Airmail but I'm curious what others like.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use Outlook.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I really like EasilyDo’s app which is simply called “Email.”

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
[quote="“trigger9631”" post="“477298581”"]
What’s the current best cross-Apple devices email app? I want an app that I can manage my iCloud and Gmail accounts with in one inbox. And, when I archive something in the app I want it to actually archive the message for the account. I tried Spark and it wouldn’t actually archive my Gmail messages which was annoying.

I know the OP recommend a Airmail but I’m curious what others like.
[/quote]

I use Spark. It was rocky at first but they've improved it a lot.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

trigger9631 posted:

What's the current best cross-Apple devices email app? I want an app that I can manage my iCloud and Gmail accounts with in one inbox. And, when I archive something in the app I want it to actually archive the message for the account. I tried Spark and it wouldn't actually archive my Gmail messages which was annoying.

I know the OP recommend a Airmail but I'm curious what others like.

I've used several and always end up back at Airmail. It's quite nice.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Mother fucker. I was trying to download the Boot Camp Drivers. Apparently "something went wrong" and then Boot Camp Assistant was like "lol, removing partition." Definitely didn't ask it to remove the partition - just wanted it to download the drivers...

Is there some way to recover that partition or am I hosed?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just played with nVIDIA GeForce NOW on a MacBook Air and it's pretty nice seeing Overwatch run better than is does under Parallels.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Use 'netcat -t' if you need telnet option negotiation for some reason and otherwise just use netcat for whatever similar probing you might have been using telnet for. I guess there's a tiny chance you have network hardware that doesn't support ssh but that seems unlikely. Removing the ftp client is a little silly though.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 15, 2017

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Shouldn't you just be using ssh and scp anyway?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you’re the 0.001% that needs telnet and ftp you can just brew it. I can only think of communicating with ancient network enabled embedded devices ... which is pretty niche.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
If you need a command line ftp client you should have always been installing ncftp instead, so that's no big loss. The standard ftp client included in unix-like operating systems was basically designed in the 1970s and it shows.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

terre packet posted:

How well do Google’s services integrate with the built-in Mac apps? Specifically, Mail with a Gmail account, Calendar with Google Calendar data, and Address Book with Google Contacts.

I’m having a problem going the other way which only appeared when I upgraded to
High Sierra. Google Chrome is my web browser, but it now won’t open links from other applications. If I’m in Mail, or Word, or Excel or Steam or pretty much anything and I click on a link, Chrome will open a new window and just sit there and won’t get the link from wherever I clicked on it. Previously the link would open just fine in a new tab (not a new window).
Is this happening to anyone else or does anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

And yet, there's still a place in Network preferences to specify a Gopher proxy.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Axiem posted:

Shouldn't you just be using ssh and scp anyway?
That's not the purpose I - or anyone I work with - uses telnet for. Rather, it's great for testing connectivity to and responses from various services (like HTTP) and a various oddball network devices, and things of that nature.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dick Nipples posted:

Mother fucker. I was trying to download the Boot Camp Drivers. Apparently "something went wrong" and then Boot Camp Assistant was like "lol, removing partition." Definitely didn't ask it to remove the partition - just wanted it to download the drivers...

Is there some way to recover that partition or am I hosed?

Given that Windows can't see APFS drives and is basically broken atm, I wouldn't expect much from BootCamp until Apple updates it. You are hosed, unless you have Time Machine backing up your BootCamp partition.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Theophany posted:

Given that Windows can't see APFS drives and is basically broken atm

Eh? The two bugs/issues are literally that APFS Windows drivers don't exist, and picking a startup drive from Windows doesn't work. Otherwise everything works just fine. Those two aren't exactly dealbreakers.

Theophany posted:

I wouldn't expect much from BootCamp until Apple updates it. You are hosed, unless you have Time Machine backing up your BootCamp partition.

Time Machine has never been able to back up NTFS. Where are you getting this?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pivo posted:

Eh? The two bugs/issues are literally that APFS Windows drivers don't exist, and picking a startup drive from Windows doesn't work. Otherwise everything works just fine. Those two aren't exactly dealbreakers.

Time Machine has never been able to back up NTFS. Where are you getting this?

Odd, it appears in the exclusion list but apparently won't be backed up. I've never tried it by seeing it appear in the drive exclusion list made me think it could be backed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Theophany posted:

Odd, it appears in the exclusion list but apparently won't be backed up. I've never tried it by seeing it appear in the drive exclusion list made me think it could be backed up.

Not that odd