Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

carry on then posted:

Aww, the new version of Safari got changed the behavior of the back button. It used to do something (always rerun scripts?) that meant unread post counts were accurate when backing into thread lists. Now, it shows the old count like Firefox does, meaning to get the updated counts, I have to hit refresh. The new features are nice otherwise, but that one feature made browsing the forums even nicer. Is there a reason for the new behavior?

Webkit 2 aggressive caching. Chrome has the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheState posted:

I wondered the same thing. Anyone know?

Download it again?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Doctor Zero posted:

Download it again?

No dice.

http://cl.ly/181d011m0M3G3t3u050n

It won't let me click it.

TheState fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 20, 2011

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Here's a fun thing I just found.. hover over a link in iChat and see the little arrow? now click it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ars has their gigantic (as always) review of the latest OS X release up. It's 19 pages, and is also available in e-book and PDF format. :laugh:

Anand's is up too.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

carry on then posted:

Aww, the new version of Safari got changed the behavior of the back button. It used to do something (always rerun scripts?) that meant unread post counts were accurate when backing into thread lists. Now, it shows the old count like Firefox does, meaning to get the updated counts, I have to hit refresh. The new features are nice otherwise, but that one feature made browsing the forums even nicer. Is there a reason for the new behavior?

I thought the old behavior made the browser run like poo poo.

At least now Safari doesn't crap out on me when I hit the Back button. Or the Refresh button. On a 600k down connection.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
Redownloading for us tards that already installed

Go to the purchased tab in app store, hold down option and click on the osx lion button, and 'buy' it again. it will redownload after you put in your Apple ID (it will say hey you already bought this do you wanna redownload?)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

penga86 posted:

Go to the purchased tab in app store, hold down option and click on the osx lion button, and 'buy' it again. it will redownload after you put in your Apple ID (it will say hey you already bought this do you wanna redownload?)
I'll put this in the FAQ. Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

How about a link for Display Maid(my app) in the OP under window management?
You got it!

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

penga86 posted:

Beautiful, thanks.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

El Jackalope posted:

Three-finger swipe does loving own.

Now Chrome just has to update it's gesture control. :mad:

I changed the swipe settings from two to three fingers and back/forward swipes now works in Chrome like in 10.6. If that is what you mean...?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
If you were previously used to Spaces and the ability to assign apps to certain spaces, you can do it, but it's not in settings anymore (that I can see anyway)

Right click on an icon in the dock and go to Options and you'll see "Assign To".

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004
Quick gesture question - is two finger swipe on the magic mouse supposed to be switching desktops now? I'm used to it going back / forward in my web browser but now I keep switching spaces.

Also, Firefox does disappears and then reappears when I switch desktops. Super annoying.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Anybody else unable to download xcode 4.1? Boooo.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Mac OSX 10.7 Lion Edition: Chrome's UI is loving busted, use Safari edition

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NotShadowStar posted:

Is it broken in all channels? Maybe it's something that's fixed in dev or beta?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is it broken in all channels? Maybe it's something that's fixed in dev or beta?

Dev Chrome user here. It's not fixed. Google will get to it eventually, maybe after they decide to abandon their custom process sandboxing for Webkit2. (Read: a really long time.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If one was on the GM Lion on their mac right now, but wanted to buy the legit Mac App Store version, would that download as a dmg or something that I could turn into an install disc or thumbdrive? Or would the Mac App Store be all like "Wait I'm not gonna sell you Lion, because you are on Lion!"

Mainly I just want to buy it, download it, make an Install disc out of it, but I am already on the GM.

Thoughts?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

What's wrong with your Chromes? I have zero problems using it right now.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

NotShadowStar posted:

Using Chrome (beta channel) - not seeing anything broken? Unless you're talking about 3 finger swipe fwd/back which can be fixed through Trackpad prefs.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

ragzilla posted:

Using Chrome (beta channel) - not seeing anything broken? Unless you're talking about 3 finger swipe fwd/back which can be fixed through Trackpad prefs.

Scroll up. They're talking about Chrome's implementation of fullscreen, which is not the Lion standard method and thus doesn't adhere to the "move your cursor to the top of the screen to show the menu bar so you can click the button to get out of full screen" behavior.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I'm not sure if everything is working right for me or not. If I swipe with two fingers on the trackpad, nothing happens. If I swipe with three fingers, I switch desktops. I can't seem to figure out how to switch between apps, other than to put them on different desktops. Is that what people are doing, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, I don't see recently closed Preview documents anywhere, and that might actually be useful to me. Where are they supposed to be?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Two macs = buying two copies of Lion with a single Apple ID, correct?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

I'm pretty sure 1 purchase is good for 5 machines. If this is the case, it's going in the FAQ.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure 1 purchase is good for 5 machines. If this is the case, it's going in the FAQ.
I installed on my iMac, let it finish and toyed. When I went to my MBP the Buy changed to Install in the App store and I downloaded another copy for that machine. Only paid once.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

passionate dongs posted:

No. you can't buy Lion, or anything else in the Mac AppStore, twice. You can buy once and re-download as many times as you like.

Your purchase of Lion from the AppStore allows you to install it on 5 separate machines as many times as you'd like.

Carbn
Oct 6, 2007
I spent a good hour or so having a play after work. I'm mostly very "meh" on the experience. Major gripes:

Gratuitous animations. Oh. My. loving. God. I don't want them. I don't mind them being there, but please, I don't want a window zooming around every time I write a new email or hit reply. Everything feels somehow slower as a result of them. Hopefully an update will allow these to be disabled.

Mission Control. Can I just have expose+spaces back?

Gestures. Why am I being forced to relearn new gestures for things?

Waking from sleep. Why do I have to click the trackpad now? I liked just moving the mouse around.

On the upside, it looks quite nice most of the time.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

If I'm gonna download it again, I'm gonna download it on the other Mac that needs updating. The App Store isn't giving me an "Installed" button that isn't clickable on that Mac. Just an "Install" button, which I can click.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Feenix posted:

If one was on the GM Lion on their mac right now, but wanted to buy the legit Mac App Store version, would that download as a dmg or something that I could turn into an install disc or thumbdrive? Or would the Mac App Store be all like "Wait I'm not gonna sell you Lion, because you are on Lion!"

Mainly I just want to buy it, download it, make an Install disc out of it, but I am already on the GM.

Thoughts?

Why would anyone running a developer GM want to re-download and buy a "legit" version in the app store? Developers get the OS as a part of the developer program. Unless you are talking about a pirated version of the GM.

Edit: The GM version shows up in App Store as OS X Lion for developers. So you don't need to buy it, you are already on the retail version of it..

Edit: Case in point

DirtyWorker fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 20, 2011

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Terpfen posted:

Scroll up. They're talking about Chrome's implementation of fullscreen, which is not the Lion standard method and thus doesn't adhere to the "move your cursor to the top of the screen to show the menu bar so you can click the button to get out of full screen" behavior.

Doesn't display the icon, but Command-Shift-F works, and Menu bar shows up for me (just no fullscreen icon). Menu bar also lets you get to View > Exit Full Screen.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

decypher posted:

No. you can't buy Lion, or anything else in the Mac AppStore, twice. You can buy once and re-download as many times as you like.

Your purchase of Lion from the AppStore allows you to install it on 5 separate machines as many times as you'd like.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Anyone have a fix for Microsoft Communicator 13.1 and 13.1.1 crashing upon sending or receiving an IM? A colleague said something about a special release, but my google skills are weak today...

Continuing on the Microsoft track, I'm hoping the Lion improvements in Mail and iCal will finally allow me to ditch Outlook for Mac...even the 2011 version kinda sucks balls.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

ragzilla posted:

Doesn't display the icon, but Command-Shift-F works, and Menu bar shows up for me (just no fullscreen icon). Menu bar also lets you get to View > Exit Full Screen.

Yes, that's the point: the UI doesn't work. It's busted.

guaranteed posted:

I'm not sure if everything is working right for me or not. If I swipe with two fingers on the trackpad, nothing happens. If I swipe with three fingers, I switch desktops. I can't seem to figure out how to switch between apps, other than to put them on different desktops. Is that what people are doing, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, I don't see recently closed Preview documents anywhere, and that might actually be useful to me. Where are they supposed to be?

Make sure you don't have BetterTouchTool overriding the default gestures. And go to the trackpad section in System Preferences and make sure the correct gestures are activated.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

decypher posted:

That ARStechnica review said you can install it on all the Macs you own, and up to two VMs per machine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DirtyWorker posted:

Why would anyone running a developer GM want to re-download and buy a "legit" version in the app store? Developers get the OS as a part of the developer program. Unless you are talking about a pirated version of the GM.

Edit: The GM version shows up in App Store as OS X Lion for developers. So you don't need to buy it, you are already on the retail version of it..

Edit: Case in point

I will say nothing other than I want to make sure I get updates through the Mac App Store or Software Updater or whatever. 30 bucks is a paltry sum, I just want to make sure I'm on a fully functioning 100% legit version.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

1 purchase = good for every mac you have control of.

Also the GM version is the exact same product you get off the app store. Updates come through software update, not the app store.

edit: you are also allowed to run 2 virtualized copies on every mac.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 20, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Has anyone noticed weirdness with some lines on the forums that have both text and images? Sometimes the text is at the top of the image, and sometimes it's at the bottom.

however this text is on the bottom

I can't seem to figure out why it is.

EDIT: The text shows on the bottom in previews but on the top in actual posts. Odd.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 20, 2011

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

mwarkentin posted:

Quick gesture question - is two finger swipe on the magic mouse supposed to be switching desktops now? I'm used to it going back / forward in my web browser but now I keep switching spaces.

Even if you disable that two finger swipe feature, the only app two finger left/right works in is Safari. Yep, you can't go back/forward in Chrome with that. Not even Finder. Absurd.

Here's some other annoyances:

- I don't like that you can't have a grid for spaces now. Mission Control is nice but unintuitive if you're the kind of person who has all your apps set out in an order and know what the gently caress you're doing.

- Desktop icons flashing every time you navigate between Spaces.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Has anyone noticed weirdness with some lines on the forums that have both text and images? Sometimes the text is at the top of the image, and sometimes it's at the bottom.

however this text is on the bottom

I can't seem to figure out why it is.

EDIT: The text shows on the bottom in previews but on the top in actual posts. Odd.
This is not a Lion thing. Been like this for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Carbn posted:

I spent a good hour or so having a play after work. I'm mostly very "meh" on the experience. Major gripes:

Gratuitous animations. Oh. My. loving. God. I don't want them. I don't mind them being there, but please, I don't want a window zooming around every time I write a new email or hit reply. Everything feels somehow slower as a result of them. Hopefully an update will allow these to be disabled.

Sweet crap the entire animation takes about 250ms, faster than Win7's fade in. That's Siracusa spergin' right there.

quote:

Mission Control. Can I just have expose+spaces back?
No because expose doesn't work with full screen app, and the way that Mission Control groups windows now actually makes sense..

quote:

Gestures. Why am I being forced to relearn new gestures for things?
You get used to it in about a day. The reason is there was too much overlap.

quote:

Waking from sleep. Why do I have to click the trackpad now? I liked just moving the mouse around.

Because it was overly sensitive. Cat jumping on a desk or a light breeze can cause things to wake up. Also the ambiguous case of having a mouse plugged in and moving it around could cause it to wake up while closed and then opening the lid left the laptop screen blank, so Apple just made it so you actually have to click. It was like this way back in 10.2 or 10.3.