Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Does your credit card let you call Apple and arrange repairs directly over the phone after the first year or do you have to call them up and plead your case to a clueless person over the phone.

You don't need to answer.

No, you just go to the Apple Store or AASP, pay for the repair whatever it costs, and the card company reimburses you. Why in the hell would I want to call Apple at all? You get the repair done, then you file a claim. There's no pleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

benisntfunny posted:

Does your credit card let you call Apple and arrange repairs directly over the phone after the first year or do you have to call them up and plead your case to a clueless person over the phone.

You don't need to answer.

What are you blathering about?

The credit card company re-imburses you during the extended warranty period they cover.\

e:^^ fb :argh:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This laptop owns

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

This laptop owns

Which one did you get? The top of the line 15?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Which one did you get? The top of the line 15?

base model for the 15.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've had my 15" 2016 for over 2 years now and meh it's good. Only had the keyboard issue occur once and used the data vac on it. Surprised it hasn't happened again. Kinda want it to happen again so I can get them to upgrade my keyboard to the 2017 version. Hopefully before my Apple Care concierge service runs out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there something like AppZapper on the Mac App Store?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
nope

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I like that the illustration used is Camino.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best photoshop-like app on the App Store? I've heard Pixelmator but peoples reviews seem to dislike it.

I'm wondering if it's actually "not that great", or just be that a majority of Mac App Store reviewers are absolute idiot. Is there an alternative?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best photoshop-like app on the App Store? I've heard Pixelmator but peoples reviews seem to dislike it.

I'm wondering if it's actually "not that great", or just be that a majority of Mac App Store reviewers are absolute idiot. Is there an alternative?

I've always gone back to GIMP every time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I really like Pixelmator. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah same. I picked it up for real cheap a ways back and it’s been great.

eames
May 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I prefer Affinity Photo, it's cross-platform and very photoshop-like.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's Acorn, too, but I'm not super blown away by neither that nor Pixelmator, even though I own both.

Gimp has really weird defaults, but you will finish the work you want eventually.

I've got no skills with image editors, but those three just haven't clicked for me yet.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah same. I picked it up for real cheap a ways back and it’s been great.
I'm going to go one step further and recommend Pixelmator Pro. I own both and Pro is a pretty significant step up from OG Pixelmator. The layout makes more sense to me, and best of all it's all one single window now so there's none of that Gimp nonsense where you're juggling a canvas and two sidebars. I highly recommend it for photo editing: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

IAmKale posted:

I'm going to go one step further and recommend Pixelmator Pro. I own both and Pro is a pretty significant step up from OG Pixelmator. The layout makes more sense to me, and best of all it's all one single window now so there's none of that Gimp nonsense where you're juggling a canvas and two sidebars. I highly recommend it for photo editing: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/

Not to defend gimp, but you can set it to single window mode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gimp's UI has always sucked and it has an incredibly embarrassing name. dealbreakers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a good gimp front end or Mac-ish version like seashore anymore? Or do you have to use X11

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Check out pixlr. It’s surprisingly capable for most tasks. I prefer it to GIMP.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If there are people turning up their noses at Pixelmator now, I'm glad that there must be amazing alternatives compared a few years ago.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I love Pixelmator and I'm too cheap to buy the new Pro one. First one still owns IMHO

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Photoshop Elements. :colbert:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've got Affinity and Pixelmator Pro.

Trying to use them as Photoshop replacements made me just get a fucken Creative Cloud license.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

tuyop posted:

Check out this article and search for the cause code. It’ll at least tell you if the problem is hardware or software.

A little late but forgot to say thanks. Apparently it was a software problem. I forget exactly why but apparently something do with High Sierra screwing things up after one of the updates. Put everything on a back up drive and just restored the whole thing and it’s working now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Photoshop Elements. :colbert:

I tried using that at work, and it's too different from real Photoshop for me to deal with lol.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chris Knight posted:

I tried using that at work, and it's too different from real Photoshop for me to deal with lol.

They can't make it too good or people won't buy Photoshop!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tuyop posted:

Check out pixlr. It’s surprisingly capable for most tasks. I prefer it to GIMP.

Seconding this. My need for such is sporadic, if I had a consistent use case I'd just buy something. But PIXLR hasn't let me down yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is Dashboard still in Mojave?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is Dashboard still in Mojave?

Yep. Though not sure if it would be on a new install. They just didn’t remove it and it still works.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dashboard will outlive us all

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

More OS rot reports..

Had to migrate a user from a Late 2009 iMac on Sierra to a brand-new 5K 2017 iMac running High Sierra.

Even after applying the latest Security Update (which upgraded the firmware on the Late 2009) was not able to connect Sierra Migration Assistant to High Sierra Migration Assistant successfully under Ethernet, with both a Cat 5 and a Cat 6 cable.

Wound up having to go back to the old standard Firewire 800 cable to FW800/Thunderbolt 2 adapter to Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter to new iMac, slow as poo poo. The Late 2009 did have a 1000-Base-T Ethernet port which probably would have gotten the job done faster, but as I said refused to handshake with the new 1000-Base-T Ethernet.

Little niggling poo poo like this, Apple used to take pains to make sure worked; now, as Strongbad says, its like they don't care.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

More OS rot reports..

Had to migrate a user from a Late 2009 iMac on Sierra to a brand-new 5K 2017 iMac running High Sierra.

Even after applying the latest Security Update (which upgraded the firmware on the Late 2009) was not able to connect Sierra Migration Assistant to High Sierra Migration Assistant successfully under Ethernet, with both a Cat 5 and a Cat 6 cable.

Wound up having to go back to the old standard Firewire 800 cable to FW800/Thunderbolt 2 adapter to Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter to new iMac, slow as poo poo. The Late 2009 did have a 1000-Base-T Ethernet port which probably would have gotten the job done faster, but as I said refused to handshake with the new 1000-Base-T Ethernet.

Little niggling poo poo like this, Apple used to take pains to make sure worked; now, as Strongbad says, its like they don't care.

Counter Point: I moved my wife from a 2008 MacBook unibody running El Capitan to a brand new MacBook Pro and not only did the new MacBook Pro see the old MacBook, it copied everything over without any fuss over ethernet without issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh, the new iMac could see the old iMac over Ethernet.. but as soon as you hit the Continue button, it'd sit there, think for a while, then error out with a generic 'couldnt establish communication' with the old iMac.

FW800>Thunderbolt2>Thunderbolt3 (yes two adapters in a row) did the trick.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If all else failed, you could use the last time machine backup to do migration. I had to do this for someone the other day when a Mac couldn't be in-place upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

More OS rot reports..

Should have updated the 2009 iMac to High Sierra first.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is there a certain time period on a new computer before it starts seeing OS updates? I bought a new MacBook Air yesterday and it is not showing the update to High Sierra 10.13.4

Edit: showed up this morning

Rubiks Pubes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 16, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Sigh. Latest windows update breaks bootcamp Bluetooth on my 2016 MBP. I hate windows updates. Where do we even find those Broadcom drivers that Apple uses for bootcamp?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is there a certain time period on a new computer before it starts seeing OS updates? I bought a new MacBook Air yesterday and it is not showing the update to High Sierra 10.13.4

Edit: showed up this morning

More than likely it was encrypting the hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Speaking of encryption, if I intend to just wipe the hard drive on my old MacBook Pro and reinstall a fresh copy of High Sierra on it is it necessary to let it decrypt it from Truecrypt first? It’s been going all weekend and still has 22 hours left to go.