Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

EL BROMANCE posted:

USB also choked the CPU, whereas firewire used its own controller.

Oh god I have PTSD from reading this post. I remember being so angry at plugging in a peripheral and spiking my CPU. Especially coming from a world with analog stuff that just worked. Out of curiosity, is USB no longer CPU driven like that, or are CPUs so much faster that you don't notice the impact anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No one would give a poo poo about all these dumb ports if apple just made expandable computers... like they used to.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chris Knight posted:

I used FireWire network sharing for a while rather than buy a router. Worked for what I needed it for.

Before GigE stuff became cheap and ubiquitous FW networking was pretty cool in a pinch.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

redeyes posted:

No one would give a poo poo about all these dumb ports if apple just made expandable computers... like they used to.

#progress

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Why does OS X have Python built into it? I've tried googling, but can't find much beyond 'there are some dependencies'. What are they?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sad Panda posted:

Why does OS X have Python built into it? I've tried googling, but can't find much beyond 'there are some dependencies'. What are they?

Some of the system processes and tools rely on it.

You can safely ignore the OS X version of python, even if you want install a different version.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bob Morales posted:

Best practice would be to not port forward, instead VPN into your router/firewall and then share from there

And if that’s not possible...

Yes definitely change your port number.

What I do is expose a Raspberry Pi with port 22 that’s only accessible via private key and just cause runs Fail2Ban. Then I ssh into any other of my machines on the network from there.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Proteus Jones posted:

Some of the system processes and tools rely on it.

You can safely ignore the OS X version of python, even if you want install a different version.

Oh I've got Python 3.7 and am happily using it. I was just curious as a friend was trying to use it as an example of why he doesn't like Macs, which makes no sense to me. I am however curious why Apple decide to write system processes in Python rather than a lower-level alternative.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

Oh I've got Python 3.7 and am happily using it. I was just curious as a friend was trying to use it as an example of why he doesn't like Macs, which makes no sense to me. I am however curious why Apple decide to write system processes in Python rather than a lower-level alternative.

Same reason we don't write web applications in C or video game designers don't crank out C++ for their scripted events

Not all 'system processes' are low-level. Some just require a powerful scripting language.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

a friend was trying to use it as an example of why he doesn't like Macs
"It includes a Python runtime" is a weird hangup considering you'd never know it's there without explicitly invoking it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

* Recalls to the iBook where changing the hardrive required removing the entire logic board *

Ah yes, the wonderful days of the easily expandable Apple computers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

* Recalls to the iBook where changing the hardrive required removing the entire logic board *

Ah yes, the wonderful days of the easily expandable Apple computers.

Maybe he's referring to the Apple ][ ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve "Expansion slots are a bug, not a feature" Jobs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pumprag posted:

Yeah absolutely

Maybe I'll find a Performa 600 series case and stuff Mac Mini guts into it. :pseudo:

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
I have a brand new 2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch and I downloaded macOS Mojave. For some reason, brightness is still at full. When I try to adjust it, the bars tick down but brightness does not change. After exiting the brightness adjustment and going back in, it shows the brightness as full again. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM, and PRAM and nothing did the trick. Please help!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dzarc posted:

I have a brand new 2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch and I downloaded macOS Mojave. For some reason, brightness is still at full. When I try to adjust it, the bars tick down but brightness does not change. After exiting the brightness adjustment and going back in, it shows the brightness as full again. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM, and PRAM and nothing did the trick. Please help!

Reinstall High Sierra.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Theophany posted:

Reinstall High Sierra.

Is the public beta software confidential?

Yes, the public beta software is Apple confidential information. Don’t install the public beta software on any systems you don't directly control or that you share with others. Don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet, or publicly post information about the public beta software, and don't discuss the public beta software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the Apple Beta Software Program. If Apple has publicly disclosed technical information about the public beta software, it is no longer considered confidential.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, the public beta software is Apple confidential information. Don’t install the public beta software on any systems you don't directly control or that you share with others. Don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet, or publicly post information about the public beta software, and don't discuss the public beta software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the Apple Beta Software Program. If Apple has publicly disclosed technical information about the public beta software, it is no longer considered confidential.

It's the Fight Club of public betas.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a good calculator for macOS that lets me input and see a formula before evaluating it? I want to be able to enter things like:

code:
2 + (40 * 7) + (1 * 6) + 2 + 17
Before hitting Enter to get an answer.

eames
May 9, 2009

IAmKale posted:

Is there a good calculator for macOS that lets me input and see a formula before evaluating it? I want to be able to enter things like:

code:

Launchbar does this, though it's far more than a calculator.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

IAmKale posted:

code:

This probably does not fit your use case but if you use Chrome, a really dumb way to do this is to just enter it in the address bar but don't hit enter. I just hit Cmd-L and start typing a formula.

Also works in Spotlight.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Bob Morales posted:

lol

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The recovery mode of OS X is built into the SSD right? So when I replace my SSD I need to use a USB to install High Sierra back on? Would an SD card work as I've got one of those round but not a thumb drive. It seems like it should, but I'd rather ask dumb questions now than have a broken Mac.

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-clean-install-macos-high-sierra explains a way of getting it, is that the best way?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-clean-install-macos-high-sierra explains a way of getting it, is that the best way?

It's the way
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Sad Panda posted:

The recovery mode of OS X is built into the SSD right? So when I replace my SSD I need to use a USB to install High Sierra back on? Would an SD card work as I've got one of those round but not a thumb drive. It seems like it should, but I'd rather ask dumb questions now than have a broken Mac.

That is a way, but you can use Internet Recovery instead—assuming you're plugged into a network it'll download the image and get you going from there. Cmd-Opt-R on boot forces it.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
I feel like I ask this every few months now (it seems anyways, so I apologize in advance here) but is there a legit email client that can handle multiple email accounts and keep said emails in conversation view? (aka everything from a certain address under the same thread)

I love using Airmail but it has a terrible habit of changing the sent email address (even when I'm in another account pane) which has led to a few terrible errors as of late. I was using Canary Mail (specifically because it said it uses Conversation view) and no matter what I do, it doesn't actually do that. Everything else I've seen either has had security issues as of late (hello Loop and Edison) or just flat out doesn't play nice.

I am fully willing to use multiple email clients to make this work but I'd just like to get it figured out if I can. I'd also be happy to provide more information as well if it'll help so please feel free to ask.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

Launchbar does this, though it's far more than a calculator.

Ah yeah, I forgot Spotlight lets me do that. I don't suppose there's a way to keep Spotlight open, though? I'd probably use this more for calculations if it didn't disappear the moment it loses focus (which, admittedly, is what I want 99.999% of the time, except for this particular use case)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

IAmKale posted:

code:

I use Soulver for this sort of thing. It’s solid

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Axiem posted:

Same. Love that app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Axiem posted:

:agreed:

Plus you can save your calculations as worksheets and share them via iCloud with the iOS version.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Seiyal posted:

I feel like I ask this every few months now (it seems anyways, so I apologize in advance here) but is there a legit email client that can handle multiple email accounts and keep said emails in conversation view? (aka everything from a certain address under the same thread)

I love using Airmail but it has a terrible habit of changing the sent email address (even when I'm in another account pane) which has led to a few terrible errors as of late. I was using Canary Mail (specifically because it said it uses Conversation view) and no matter what I do, it doesn't actually do that. Everything else I've seen either has had security issues as of late (hello Loop and Edison) or just flat out doesn't play nice.

I am fully willing to use multiple email clients to make this work but I'd just like to get it figured out if I can. I'd also be happy to provide more information as well if it'll help so please feel free to ask.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, Outlook does this just fine. I use it for multiple email accounts, use threaded conversations to organise mail and the sending address will switch based on which mailbox you are currently in.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Theophany posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, Outlook does this just fine. I use it for multiple email accounts, use threaded conversations to organise mail and the sending address will switch based on which mailbox you are currently in.

No, actually that sounds exactly like what I need (and I don't think it's something I've tried to use recently) so that sounds great, I'll go check it out, thanks!

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Edit: Never mind. I am dumb.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2018

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

IAmKale posted:

code:

You could just use the python IDLE app.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Jesus loving Christ Adobe, sort your poo poo out.

Ok, let's close InDesign and get back to work...

Or not. I disabled GPU acceleration and it gets even worse.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That looks a lot like the standard “I have no idea what resolution/type/underscan monitor I'm connected to” bug (most likely a driver issue) that's been making inroads of late…

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bit of Googling suggests it's a well known InDesign bug that presents when using GPU acceleration in High Sierra. Even when you kill the process the glitching persists and seems to be remedied only with a restart.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

IAmKale posted:

code:

I like speedcrunch. Open source, allows you to define custom functions, variables, supports units and complex numbers.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Seiyal posted:

Not sure I completely understand what you're asking here, but Mail.app (the macOS bundled mail client) does this minus Outlook's bloat and laughable UI.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I look at files in Finder in column view all of the letters are monospaced so everything lines up nicely like so:

But when I view the same files in list view it's no longer monospaced so nothing lines up anymore:

This really really really bothers me for some reason. Is there a way I can force monospace in list view?