Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Wipr or 1blocker are pretty good.

Wipr is good for set it and forget type of blocker. 1blocker is good for tinkering around with rules, whitelist and such. I haven't use the newer version of 1blocker but the previous one could be a bit too aggressive at times and break some menus or page navigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Axiem posted:

God drat it, the new version of Safari kills extensions I was using.

What's the favorite ad-blocker for Safari now that uBlock is apparently not a thing?

It’s uBlock Origin, and ignore the scary warning that pops up and click the checkbox in Preferences to turn it back on.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ublock origin is gone from that list and gone from the app store

hope they update it

oh, it can still be had here: https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.el1t.uBlock-3NU33NW2M3

emdash fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 18, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wow. That's pretty horrid — time to turn off updates until everyone figures out how to restore that functionality. :stare:

I haven't been paying attention at all — what's the reasoning behind this and what facilities have been put into place to mod Safari? Is it all plugins now? Is there any collection of “instead of X, use Y” replacements for popular extensions?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Their reasoning is, “It’s slow.” Also, “We can get more people to pay $100 a year to publish on the Mac App Store.”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, I assume that if you ever want to update to Mojave, you will have to live with this reduced functionality? :sigh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There is no reduced functionality in Mojave, the next macOS release is when they're dropping the old Safari extension stuff

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

There is no reduced functionality in Mojave, the next macOS release is when they're dropping the old Safari extension stuff

So to clarify: Safari 12 just turns them off because gently caress you find something else; macOS 10.15 (or Safari 13, whichever comes first) will kill them outright? I guess that at least pushes the annoyance to the future somewhat…

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone upgraded macOS on a machine bound to an Active Directory domain? Will I need to re-do the binding when I upgrade to Mojave? I just assume I will but I'm curious whether anyone has any firsthand experience.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

uBlock seems to work after a reinstall, but I lost all the stuff I had blocked before. The element picker doesn't seem to work either, you need to copy/paste the URLs into the control panel.

Hell of a time for someone to buy some really lovely banner ads here.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Here's a random one - I work with a bunch of drives that get taken offline and put on a shelf. At the moment I take a screenshot with all of its folders open to keep a basic accounting of whats on the drive and thats loving dumb. Is there a way to do this better - and possibly be able to search the text to find items even though the drive is offline.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

magiccarpet posted:

Here's a random one - I work with a bunch of drives that get taken offline and put on a shelf. At the moment I take a screenshot with all of its folders open to keep a basic accounting of whats on the drive and thats loving dumb. Is there a way to do this better - and possibly be able to search the text to find items even though the drive is offline.
Most backup software will 'catalog' a tape. Basically an index of all the files on that tape so you can search all your tapes without having to load/read them.

The most simple way to do this would be to do something like:
code:
~/shortnr$ find
./templates
./templates/index.html
./app.py
./NOTES
Find will list all the files in a directory, and sub-directories
code:
~/shortnr$ find > ~/foo.txt
You can just re-direct the output of that to a text file. Viewing the file then looks like this:
code:
~/shortnr$ cat ~/foo.txt
./templates
./templates/index.html
./app.py
./NOTES
When you need to search you can just use grep on that file:
code:
$ grep index ~/foo.txt
./templates/index.html
This is very basic but it's the idea that you can build on.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Safari 12 told me that it killed Minimal Status Bar, but it's still working?! It just doesn't show up in the Extensions window.

Or does Safari 12 do what MSB does by itself now?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Safari 12 told me that it killed Minimal Status Bar, but it's still working?! It just doesn't show up in the Extensions window.

Or does Safari 12 do what MSB does by itself now?

The old full length status bar has been gone since El Capitan / Safari 9 I believe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Another casualty of Safari 12: the Java plugin.

All Java apps now show 'Unsupported Plug-In' where Java USED to work before.

Guess we now gotta wait for Apple / Oracle (who used to be best buddies) to work it out.

Before five zillion goons point out how they never use Java, a lot of places retain it for cross-platform apps, so this is pretty painful until it's fixed.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

People still use java?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Java is fine, Java Applets are a dead lovely technology and shouldn't be used.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

drat, I wish I'd read this thread before updating Safari :cry:

Axiem posted:

Also, I had an extension, KeySearch, that gave me useful keyword searches for various websites (and I'm rather annoyed that it was disappeared on me without much of a chance to at least grab what configuration I had for it). Are there any extensions out there that still do that?
Yea, I used to use Safari Keyword Search which sounds like it did the same thing, and I used it easily a hundred times a day. Also the Zotero connector no longer works so lol I guess no more importing journal articles for me.

Is this pathetic page of trash the only source for Safari extensions now?

Edit: You can forcibly execute legacy extensions using the Develop menu (at least for now), but the consensus seems to be that'll only work until the Extensions Gallery is fully retired.

TACD fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 18, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

:laffo:

Oh well, at least this handily solves the problem of there not being any good new iOS devices — might as well just eject from the ecosystem altogether and go all chrome everywhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW Firefoxes smugly :smug:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

FCKGW posted:

FCKGW Firefoxes smugly :smug:

I've been doing this for years -- yeah their 7 hours battery life might have been 5 for me, but at least I have control damnit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Weeell… a very quick dip into Firefox land allowed me to replace all extensions and functionality (including my habitual shortcuts) in maybe 45 minutes, which is encouraging going forward. We'll see how this turns out in the end. It is eating up a whole lot of CPU, though.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is there a good explanation somewhere on how the cross-site tracking protection works in Safari 12? Does it actually block anything or does it do something else?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

tankadillo posted:

Is there a good explanation somewhere on how the cross-site tracking protection works in Safari 12? Does it actually block anything or does it do something else?

I’d guess it’s Intelligent Tracking Prevention 2.0: https://webkit.org/blog/8311/intelligent-tracking-prevention-2-0/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can't get Parallels or VMWare to run without disabling System Integrity Protection using the "csrutil disable" command. I saw the "Allow" prompt pop up in Security & Privacy once and made sure to click on it, but I was never able to successfully run either program. I've uninstalled/reinstalled manually several times, and installing with SIP disabled and then reenabling it doesn't help. Have any of you guys run into this issue?

macOS 10.13.6

VMWare: 10.1.3
Parallels: 14.0.1

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Fallom posted:

Have any of you guys run into this issue?

Not me but it might help others help you if you let them know which version of macOS and which version of VMWare and Parallels.

SIP and how these products interact with it has changed over the years but I don't personally use them so I can't say exactly how.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pivo posted:

Not me but it might help others help you if you let them know which version of macOS and which version of VMWare and Parallels.

SIP and how these products interact with it has changed over the years but I don't personally use them so I can't say exactly how.

Ok, I added that info to my original post. I have the latest version of all of them.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The only way I’ve found to get that prompt to come up again is to uninstall and then reinstall the software, being careful to ensure I click the notification. It seems a bit buggy even then.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
If you miss the pop-up notification, you can go to Security and Privacy in System Preferences. It shows up there for some vague period of time afterwards.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah but if you leave it for long enough it disappears and doesn’t come back until you reinstall.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I suppose I might try reinstalling macOS because reinstalling the app never brought the prompt back.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Evis posted:

Yeah but if you leave it for long enough it disappears and doesn’t come back until you reinstall.
For me just trying to run the app (and having it fail) would always be enough to trigger the option to reappear.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Fallom posted:

I can't get Parallels or VMWare to run without disabling System Integrity Protection using the "csrutil disable" command. I saw the "Allow" prompt pop up in Security & Privacy once and made sure to click on it, but I was never able to successfully run either program. I've uninstalled/reinstalled manually several times, and installing with SIP disabled and then reenabling it doesn't help. Have any of you guys run into this issue?

macOS 10.13.6

VMWare: 10.1.3
Parallels: 14.0.1

I was going to comment about this being super weird, because I thought that SIP just write-protected /System. VMWare (probably Parallels too) doesn't alter /System anymore, but I looked things up and apparently KEXT signing is considered to be part of SIP too. They're still using KEXTs, they just leave them inside their application bundles, so signing is a very obvious possible reason why SIP makes a difference here.

Fallom posted:

I suppose I might try reinstalling macOS because reinstalling the app never brought the prompt back.

One reason to try is this handwavy guess: maybe your current install has damaged signing data, so even when signed, third party KEXTs can't load.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Just putting this here since I didn't see many useful answers on google, maybe it will help someone.

If you don't have enough space to install Mojave updates, it will error out. If you clear out the space, you might notice you keep getting the same error, asking for the same amount of space. Even clearing double the amount of space it asks for does not stop this notice.

Going to storage manager (I think it's in utilities, I just find it in spotlight) once then running the update again allows the update to run.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
In non Mojave related news, JAMF just acquired Nomad.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
My understanding of how Macs and AD interact is pretty fuzzy, but that seems like a good fit for Jamf.

Tangential: is it Jamf or JAMF? I'm pretty sure I've seen both in their own content.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone upgraded macOS on a machine bound to an Active Directory domain? Will I need to re-do the binding when I upgrade to Mojave? I just assume I will but I'm curious whether anyone has any firsthand experience.

I’ve been testing Mojave for a while and haven’t had to rebind any upgrades. I can’t say I’ve ever seen that either, and that is with a significant number of upgrades (1000+) each year.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Just another management framework or JAMF is Apples Management Framework are the backronyms but it's named after Laszlo Jamf in Gravity's Rainbow according to https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/5748/what-does-jamf-stand-for

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
2 questions

1) Is there a way to stop apps from being able to take over as the "current app"? Like, say I launch an app and then tab into Safari. I don't want that app I just launched to pop up and take over my keyboard functions when it finally opens. It's really god drat loving annoying.

2) Is it suppose to take "forever" to bring my 2018 MacBook Pro up from sleep mode? I've never timed it or anything but there is a very noticeable delay from when I open my laptop up and when the screen actually turns on and lets me touchID in. Compared to every other computer I've ever used where the screen turns on just about instantaneously when I hit the keyboard it's really noticeable. I feel like a $1500 laptop shouldn't be like this. I am on High Sierra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a mac mini here thats running 10.8.5. We use it to bootcamp into Windows to run a proprietary software. Dont know why they didn't just get small form factor PCs. Anyway, I want to update the thing to high sierra, but cant. I made an apple ID, tells me it hasn't been used with the app store and to review my info. I added a billing address and selected no payment info, still wont advance. Then it tells me I need to update macos to change the info! Yay apple! So I'm stuck in eternal limbo. gently caress it, I'll just try and update the Windows install. Get a hard disk failing message. So I figure this is my chance to clean install high sierra. But it looks like the only way to do that is to download it from the store first, which I cant do? I also had planned to wipe the bootcamp install and do W10 but when I put the ISO in there it tells me it only accepts W7 or above. So I was also hoping that updating the OS would make it recognize the newer ISO or is that impossible too?