Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Data Graham posted:

Holy drat, that Affinity stuff looks like the better-than-Adobe suite I've always been waiting for. Is it too good to be true?

I'd say it's good enough for most people. Certainly if it's not part of your Professional Workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
e: Nevermind. I solved my issue by restoring a folder from Time Machine.

Data Graham posted:

Holy drat, that Affinity stuff looks like the better-than-Adobe suite I've always been waiting for. Is it too good to be true?
It works great for setting up designs for printing, which is a lot of what I do. I think that Affinity Photo is lacking in a few features from PS that I use (mostly having to do with brushes).

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 30, 2018

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

On suggestion of the article that was posted earlier, I have been trying Bitwarden for a few days - I must say, I like it quite a bit more than 1Password, and it is substantially cheaper to boot. Just finished switching everything over and I highly recommend it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

iina 1.0 https://iina.io/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Toast Museum posted:

For whatever reason, the SATA cables on 2012 MBPs seem to be particularly fragile. If you have a USB/SATA adapter, pull the SSD and try booting from it while it's connected externally. If it works fine that way, try replacing the SATA cable.

I thought I replaced the SATA cable previously when I installed the SSD, though I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow hosed that up. That was a couple years ago, maybe it's finally caught up to me? Ugh, I'm pretty sick of having to open up this laptop.

Laptop still seems to be having issues, Console isn't telling me anything new. Hoping to glean some information from the sysdiagnose logs, but I've got my new PC set up so there's no rush to fix it...

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Guess it's somewhat related.

coke posted:

quote:

An audiovisual light show is projected on the ancient City Wall to welcome the new year on December 29, 2018, in Xi an, Shaanxi province, China. #
:hmmyes:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Fallom posted:

Oh my god I had no idea you could just buy a stand-alone license still

I have mixed feelings about 1Password. They handled some updates poorly, charging for new versions that cut major features. I had a Mac, Windows machine, and iPhone so I got to pay three times. When they transitioned to the subscription model they dropped the ball insanely hard on the Windows version of the app, which languished in some weird half-updated limbo state for a while. Until recently, it would lock up for entire minutes at a time because the app was single threaded and trying to do too much (this is per the developers).

Still, I think it’s the best manager out there. For all its faults it truly does make security across hundreds of accounts a breeze.

TBH the current state of 1password subscriptions kind of solves your multiplatform needs. The new windows client looks like it's roughly on par with the mac version instead of woefully behind.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pollyanna posted:

I thought I replaced the SATA cable previously when I installed the SSD, though I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow hosed that up. That was a couple years ago, maybe it's finally caught up to me? Ugh, I'm pretty sick of having to open up this laptop.

I mean, all the bad cables I've seen in MacBooks were installed by Apple (okay, Quanta or Foxconn or whoever). If you did do something wrong, it's something the factory was doing wrong too, so don't beat yourself up over it. Honestly, though, I think they're just fucky cables.

Since you're not sure whether you replaced it, I should clarify that I'm talking about these things. It's not something that would have come with your SSD.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I need a software recommendation. I need to create a brief training video for some software I wrote.

My idea here is that I'll use OBS to record but rather than recording the entire thing in one go I'll be recording segments that I'd like to stitch together and maybe add some text effects, etc.

Since this is going to be a one-time thing, I'd rather not spend much if anything so can anyone recommend a cheap/free product that is easy enough to use for this?

edit: oh hmm, I didn't know iMovie was free. Would you recommend this?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 2, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiwid posted:

I need a software recommendation. I need to create a brief training video for some software I wrote.

My idea here is that I'll use OBS to record but rather than recording the entire thing in one go I'll be recording segments that I'd like to stitch together and maybe add some text effects, etc.

Since this is going to be a one-time thing, I'd rather not spend much if anything so can anyone recommend a cheap/free product that is easy enough to use for this?

Yes.

I've used it for tutorials and how-to's for my team. It works great for stitching together clips and different takes, of which I had multiple because not a professional narrator. I even used it to upload to YouTube as a "hidden" video. Then I only had to distribute the link to the team.

Be aware render times can be radically different depending on hardware. I was testing a 2016 MacBook m7 on whether it was suitable as a lighter replacement for my work machine (it was not, I gifted it to my nephew a month later). I gave up rendering a 17 minute 1080p movie after about 30 minutes (it was nowhere near done). My 2015 15" rMBP (quad-core i7) tore through the entire film in less time.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 2, 2019

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Be aware render times can be radically different depending on hardware. I was testing a 2016 MacBook m7 on whether it was suitable as a lighter replacement for my work machine (it was not, I gifted it to my nephew a month later). I gave up rendering a 17 minute 1080p movie after about 30 minutes (it was nowhere near done). My 2015 15" rMBP (quad-core i7) tore through the entire film in less time.

I'm still running a late 2013 13" MBP. I wonder how bad the render time is going to be.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiwid posted:

I'm still running a late 2013 13" MBP. I wonder how bad the render time is going to be.

Well, I was doing 1080p at 60fps. Not because I really needed it, but like I said I was testing the MacBook against the rMBP.

Scaling down to 720p would have been markedly faster on both machines.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
If you have a second computer with better specs, you could send the video via NDI with OBS to the higher-end PC, and record/render there.

https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jsut compile the software for your environment, learn what any of the gently caress that means and youre good to go!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah for the occasional training video or compilations of family vids, I’m not doing all of that.

Worst case I leave the lid open on my rMBP and render over night.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Phoenixan posted:

e: Nevermind. I solved my issue by restoring a folder from Time Machine.

It works great for setting up designs for printing, which is a lot of what I do. I think that Affinity Photo is lacking in a few features from PS that I use (mostly having to do with brushes).
So sounds like Affinity software is pretty bitching? Photo = Photoshop, Designer = Illustrator, Publisher = InDesign, do I have that rough equivalence right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Last Chance posted:

jsut compile the software for your environment, learn what any of the gently caress that means and youre good to go!

But that github link contains installers that you download and double tap/click on to install?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Toast Museum posted:

I mean, all the bad cables I've seen in MacBooks were installed by Apple (okay, Quanta or Foxconn or whoever). If you did do something wrong, it's something the factory was doing wrong too, so don't beat yourself up over it. Honestly, though, I think they're just fucky cables.

Since you're not sure whether you replaced it, I should clarify that I'm talking about these things. It's not something that would have come with your SSD.

Oh hmmmm. I have a vague recollection of fiddling with that. It's possible that it's finally dying from the trauma I gave it or something :shrug:

I'd like to nail down the exact problem with the laptop first before buying new parts, though. Still no progress with finding the core issue...sysdiagnose is useless.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a Safari extension that will disable all sticky menus, like the horrible ones that do nothing but eat up space on Medium.com websites?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a Safari extension that will disable all sticky menus, like the horrible ones that do nothing but eat up space on Medium.com websites?

On desktop I just use this bookmarklet:

code:
javascript:(function()%7B(function%20()%20%7Bvar%20i%2C%20elements%20%3D%20document.querySelectorAll('body%20*')%3Bfor%20(i%20%3D%200%3B%20i%20%3C%20elements.length%3B%20i%2B%2B)%20%7Bif%20(getComputedStyle(elements%5Bi%5D).position%20%3D%3D%3D%20'fixed')%20%7Belements%5Bi%5D.parentNode.removeChild(elements%5Bi%5D)%3B%7D%7D%7D)()%7D)()
On iOS, I use a Content Blocker called Unobstruct https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unobstruct/id1255281426?mt=8

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Does anyone know if there's something similar to Photoshop's Color Picker window, that preferably lives in the menu bar? I just want something with the color ribbon down the side, the whole, clickable-gray-to-selected-color main window, and the usual CMYK/RGB/HSB/Hex value thingy without having to open Photoshop. Basically this, in the Finder's menu bar:

I took a quick look in the app store, and it's got eleventy billion ✨design that delights✨ color palette generators, which is decidedly NOT what I need.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Switzerland posted:

Does anyone know if there's something similar to Photoshop's Color Picker window, that preferably lives in the menu bar? I just want something with the color ribbon down the side, the whole, clickable-gray-to-selected-color main window, and the usual CMYK/RGB/HSB/Hex value thingy without having to open Photoshop. Basically this, in the Finder's menu bar:

I took a quick look in the app store, and it's got eleventy billion ✨design that delights✨ color palette generators, which is decidedly NOT what I need.

https://github.com/nvzqz/Menubar-Colors

You can also open the system color picker in any cocoa app by using cmd-shift-c, or you can launch it by running an apple script file with just the words "choose color" in it.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

skull mask mcgee posted:

https://github.com/nvzqz/Menubar-Colors

You can also open the system color picker in any cocoa app by using cmd-shift-c, or you can launch it by running an apple script file with just the words "choose color" in it.

That's *almost* perfect, except when I use the Skala plug-in, the hex value doesn't update when selecting different colors?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Actually nm I just tried with the AnteType color picker, that works. Thank youuuu!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fantastical is 50% right now, $24.99 for MacOS.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-2/id975937182

iOS versions are half off as well.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Fantastical is 50% right now, $24.99 for MacOS.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-2/id975937182

iOS versions are half off as well.

50% off? Can't wait for them to launch Fantastical 3 at full price in a couple of months.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Small White Dragon posted:

So sounds like Affinity software is pretty bitching? Photo = Photoshop, Designer = Illustrator, Publisher = InDesign, do I have that rough equivalence right?
Right.

Photo also seems to import PSD's pretty well; same goes for AI's with Designer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gmq posted:

50% off? Can't wait for them to launch Fantastical 3 at full price in a couple of months.

Same. Fantastical2 is getting a little long in the tooth.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to directly view/manage my iPhone's photos from my macOS devices, without going through iCloud sync? Like, when I'm at home on the same network it'd be great to be able to see and transfer photos from my iPhone into whatever app I'm using in macOS.

I've never bothered to look before because I've assumed Apple wants me to use/pay for iCloud.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 6, 2019

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

IAmKale posted:

Is it possible to directly view/manage my iPhone's photos from my macOS devices, without going through iCloud sync? Like, when I'm at home on the same network it'd be great to be able to see and transfer photos from my iPhone into whatever app I'm using in macOS.

I've never bothered to look before because I've assumed Apple wants me to use/pay for iCloud.

Plug in phone to Mac, use "image capture.app" (in your /applications folder)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IAmKale posted:

I’m not sure how with a network share, but if you plug it in you can import with the included Image Capture app.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Switzerland posted:

Plug in phone to Mac, use "image capture.app" (in your /applications folder)?
Thanks, at least this is always an option. I was digging around iCloud settings and found "My Photo Stream" that might actually work as well: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IAmKale posted:

Thanks, at least this is always an option. I was digging around iCloud settings and found "My Photo Stream" that might actually work as well: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

Still cloud based, but yeah!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Still cloud based, but yeah!

You're absolutely right. What I'm really looking to do is take certain photos with my phone and then use them right away within macOS. I thought it wouldn't be possible to use anything cloud-based without spending money on iCloud. When I read that My Photo Stream doesn't count towards your iCloud storage limits, though, it seemed like the perfect solution.

AirDrop works well, too, but compared to My Photo Stream it's a lot more tapping for the same end result.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My Mac tries to open the photos app when I connect my phone with a usb cable, and then I can copy pictures from my phone

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IAmKale posted:

I thought it wouldn't be possible to use anything cloud-based without spending money on iCloud.
While Photostream will work, for info there’s another option — for some reason any photos you put into a Shared album also don’t count towards your iCloud space.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is it easy to downgrade an OS upgrade via Time Machine, or is there something else I should do prior to upgrading for an easy rollback experience if some apps aren't compatible with the new OS version? This would be going from El cap to High Sierra.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kiwid posted:

macOS has some built in screen recording stuff too btw, not sure if it’s enough for what you want to do though. It’s in QuickTime or whatever the current screenshot app is I think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

macOS has some built in screen recording stuff too btw, not sure if it’s enough for what you want to do though. It’s in QuickTime or whatever the current screenshot app is I think.

QuickTime file/new screen recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can also now do it from the desktop using cmd-shift-5.