Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Anyone seen the keysteal nonsense? My CISO is panicking, but the guy who made the video is apparently keeping the details secret. So gently caress if it even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've just noticed that when I'm using split screen mode on my second monitor the bar that you drag to resize the splits doesn't show up. Is this happening for anyone else?

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've just noticed that when I'm using split screen mode on my second monitor the bar that you drag to resize the splits doesn't show up. Is this happening for anyone else?

Yeah apple changed some display stuff after a Mojave update, you’ll have to figure out a simple hack, just fiddle with the settings and if that doesn’t work you’ll have to google it :/

How I found out apple changed some display stuff is I plugged in my 4K monitor to my Mac book pro after the update, and for some reason my laptop wouldn’t recognize my monitor. Again, I had to fiddle with the settings and it worked eventually

It’ll probably take about an hour to my estimate

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I’m a dumbass who hasn’t fiddled with this for five years: how do I migrate my Mac Mini from a 512GB SSD to a 1TB SSD? I have an external USB enclosure for the hard drives and a couple of 1TB spinners in addition to the new SSD.

Could I just time machine to one of the external spinners, swap SSDs, then restore from time machine?

eames
May 9, 2009

put the new SSD in the enclosure, use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to clone the boot drive to the new SSD and then swap them. Be careful to choose the correct source/destination drives.

Your Time Machine approach should work too but I personally don't trust TM with such operations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Time machine is a great way to go back to a "time" when you didn't have any data!

eames
May 9, 2009

Pivo posted:

To be honest I personally wouldn't host a public facing website on a home server when shared hosting / VPS / etc is so darn cheap, but if you insist, I'm sure Docker on macOS will work just fine for you. They don't use VirtualBox anymore so the VM overhead should be minimal.

Sadly it turns out Docker for Mac is a dumpster fire when it comes to I/O from the container to a mounted volume.

code:
time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024 count=100000
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
102400000 bytes (102 MB, 98 MiB) copied, 16.0654 s, 6.4 MB/s

real	0m16.038s
user	0m0.170s
sys	0m1.910s
mind you that's the new six core i5 mac mini with 400% CPU usage on com.docker.hyperkit (the hypervisor) to achieve that those blazing 6.4 MB/s onto the internal SSD. Activity Monitor also shows millions of context switches within a minute of this heavy (lol) I/O.
It is a known issue with dozens of people complaining in this thread.

TLDR: learn from my mistakes, don't run docker on a mac

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Safari is telling me my keychain is empty, and I'm trying not to freak out. Lets hope some weird bug that's fixed by a reboot or something (iPhone is correctly bringing up my 700 odd accounts as normal).

e: phew. I'd rather it didn't do that again though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's a keyboard shortcut - I think it's new - where when your focus is on the desktop, "cmd +" and cmd -" increases and decreases your icon size, and it is absolutely annoying as gently caress. Who changes their icon size so often that they need a shortcut for it? And should that shortcut be one key away from another action I do several times an hour?

Anyway, I can't find it in preferences. Is there some other way I can get rid of this?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

jackpot posted:

"cmd +" and cmd -".

Aren’t those just the standard zoom in/out keys?

Command-0 usually undies zoom, as I recall. Or maybe command-=? I always futz around a bit when I need to remember it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eames posted:

I wonder if docker on linux in one of the commercial VMs would do better. I doubt it's going to be as fast as native Linux but I'm pretty sure VMWare Fusion can manage to beat 6 MB/s.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

eames posted:

Sadly it turns out Docker for Mac is a dumpster fire when it comes to I/O from the container to a mounted volume.

code:
time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024 count=100000
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
102400000 bytes (102 MB, 98 MiB) copied, 16.0654 s, 6.4 MB/s

real	0m16.038s
user	0m0.170s
sys	0m1.910s
mind you that's the new six core i5 mac mini with 400% CPU usage on com.docker.hyperkit (the hypervisor) to achieve that those blazing 6.4 MB/s onto the internal SSD. Activity Monitor also shows millions of context switches within a minute of this heavy (lol) I/O.
It is a known issue with dozens of people complaining in this thread.

Also, don't forget the part where --net=host only works on the Linux version of docker, and not only do the devs not care about how frustrating that is, they also have never actually bothered to make Docker to tell you it's not working when you run a container using that option with DfW or DfM.

eames
May 9, 2009

BobHoward posted:

I wonder if docker on linux in one of the commercial VMs would do better. I doubt it's going to be as fast as native Linux but I'm pretty sure VMWare Fusion can manage to beat 6 MB/s.

Yes, it would. I tried that with VMware Fusion's shared folders but the setup process (permission issues from UID/GID mapping between the two OSes (three counting the docker container), folder sharing requires openvm-tools-desktop which depends on xserver, etc) was painful enough to not bother because even then performance is only 2-3x better according to numbers in the thread. Maybe if I had better unix skills.

I imagine the best performing solution would be to make a Linux VM stored on the internal SSD, pass through a physical storage device via USB 3.1 gen2 or ideally TB3, format that from within the Linux VM and use it as the docker volume. That should bypass the file system translation which is probably the reason for the I/O performance issue, giving near native performance. I'd rather run Linux natively or rent a VPS at that point...

eames fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 16, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have 2 external hard drives, both with stuff already on it. I want to transfer a folder (~800 GB) from one of the externals onto the other one without putting them onto my laptop first because I don't have the storage space but it's not letting me drag and drop between the two hard drives (the icon turns into the cancel/no icon). What am I doing wrong?

e: Apparently it's because macOS can't write to NTFS formatted hard drives.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 18, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There are a few third party drivers that enable NTFS write, and I think there is also a way to enable native support on specific drives by editing fstab although that may not be terribly safe for your data.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

eames posted:

Docker for mac mounts filesystems via a volume share into a virtual machine, of course the IO will suck. It's a development tool, nothing more. You'll experience the same suck trying to do IO with vmware fusion on macos.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DkHelmet posted:

Docker for mac mounts filesystems via a volume share into a virtual machine, of course the IO will suck. It's a development tool, nothing more. You'll experience the same suck trying to do IO with vmware fusion on macos.

*puts columbbo hat on*

Now.. see, I have a question.. shouldn't a developemnt tool be.. fast? I'm a simple guy, but I imagine a developer is using a lot more IO then an average user would ever use?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

*puts columbo hat on*

You’re working with a service that runs only on the Linux kernel, with Linux syscalls and Linux userspace utilities on a BSD Mach system via a free virtual machine. The fact that it’s available at all on macOS is pretty baller.

The real world is often messy and suboptimal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It’s some hyper-thingy where all the io has to go through so it’s super slow there’s a huge thread on GitHub issues about it

eames
May 9, 2009

i guess a few years from now Docker volume I/O bandwidth will be the least of my mac worries. :smith:

Mark Gurman: Apple to Target Combining iPhone, iPad and Mac Apps by 2021

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

eames posted:

i guess a few years from now Docker volume I/O bandwidth will be the least of my mac worries. :smith:

Mark Gurman: Apple to Target Combining iPhone, iPad and Mac Apps by 2021

Yowza. trying to find a silver lining here. There are some pretty cool board game apps on iOS?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I for one welcome our new Marzipan overlords

eames
May 9, 2009

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yowza. trying to find a silver lining here. There are some pretty cool board game apps on iOS?

Pokemon Go! exclusively for the new Mac Pro

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I doubt that things are going to be 100% Marzipan and native macOS apps in their current state are just going to be over. I'm sure a lot of poo poo Marizpan apps will come out, sure, but I expect actually writing a real macOS app to remain the dominant paradigm for the foreseeable future.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The new Apple Windows 8.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yeah, real bummer that Apple is trying to greatly expand their platform and increase the number of apps available to all users. Really gonna miss the days having to buy the same app twice on two platforms. Shame.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Blown up phone apps are the ideal desktop experience.

Considering how pathetic Mac OS window management is, this might even be true.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple's own iOS apps in Mojave suck, but I certainly like having the option to run iOS apps within macOS. Hopefully Apple gives developers the right APIs for better integration - they certainly have a decent track record with iOS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 20, 2019

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Lambert posted:

Considering how pathetic Mac OS window management is

Windows user detected.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, real bummer that Apple is trying to greatly expand their platform and increase the number of apps available to all users. Really gonna miss the days having to buy the same app twice on two platforms. Shame.

Yeah, but lol if you don't think developers will still be able to charge one price for iphones, a higher price for ipads and an even higher price for OS X.

I don't think it's anything to worry about in and of itself but the mac platform is dead to me if they ever eliminate the ability to install apps from outside the store altogether

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Switzerland posted:

Windows user detected.

Nah, there's a reason tools like Magnet, Divvy and BetterSnapTool exist. Mac OS window management is years behind Windows 10 or current Linux distributions, it's really not fit for setups with big monitors (I'm running 2x27"). But even on a laptop, Windows is way better about this. Apple insisting on having the weird top menubar still doesn't help, either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Window management (and passthru click handling behavior) is far and away the #1, #2, #3, ... top 100 reasons I would rather eat mud than use Windows

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

Window management (and passthru click handling behavior) is far and away the #1, #2, #3, ... top 100 reasons I would rather eat mud than use Windows

But Windows has the same options as Mac OS, but way more flexible? This doesn't make any sense.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
While it's true Windows now has some window positioning features built-in, it's not really comparable to any half decent window positioning software. If it's a feature you care about, I'd assume you're looking to 3rd party software regardless of whether you use macOS or Windows.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lambert posted:

But Windows has the same options as Mac OS, but way more flexible? This doesn't make any sense.

Tell me how to make it so when you click a backgrounded window in Windows, it doesn't pass that click through to whatever widget in that application happened to be under your pointer but you couldn't see because it was in the background, and it'll change my life.

I'm forever hunting for a piece of dead real estate to click on to bring a background application forward, and if I miss by one pixel I find I've hit a link or clicked an action button or something that has made that Windows app go off and do all kinds of overenthusiastic stuff that no application should execute if it was clicked on while the app itself was in a background window, because there's no way the user did it on purpose with full knowledge.

And then if that is by some miracle possible, conversely I want to know how to make Windows recognize gestures and navigation inputs on windows that are not necessarily focused, like why the bloody hell can't I two-finger swipe to scroll a file list unless I click in it first? Two-finger swipe scrolling should definitely work even on a background window.

I want to be able to see what's in the background without having to bring that app forward, and I want to be able to bring an app forward without tiptoeing around live-click land mines.

These are behaviors that are default on Mac but seemingly impossible on Windows, and I'm on a locked-down Win7 so if this is fixed in Win10 or something then ignore me, I'm just pointlessly grousing like an OS beardo from the 90s

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
None of the mac 3rd party software is as good as the baseline you get with Windows 10 out of the box. Or even most linux desktops.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm sure there's a third party equivalent for Windows, but I really love macOS's multiple desktops and gestures. That, alone, makes windows management better.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Tell me how to make it so when you click a backgrounded window in Windows, it doesn't pass that click through to whatever widget in that application happened to be under your pointer but you couldn't see because it was in the background, and it'll change my life.

I'm forever hunting for a piece of dead real estate to click on to bring a background application forward, and if I miss by one pixel I find I've hit a link or clicked an action button or something that has made that Windows app go off and do all kinds of overenthusiastic stuff that no application should execute if it was clicked on while the app itself was in a background window, because there's no way the user did it on purpose with full knowledge.

And then if that is by some miracle possible, conversely I want to know how to make Windows recognize gestures and navigation inputs on windows that are not necessarily focused, like why the bloody hell can't I two-finger swipe to scroll a file list unless I click in it first? Two-finger swipe scrolling should definitely work even on a background window.

I want to be able to see what's in the background without having to bring that app forward, and I want to be able to bring an app forward without tiptoeing around live-click land mines.

These are behaviors that are default on Mac but seemingly impossible on Windows, and I'm on a locked-down Win7 so if this is fixed in Win10 or something then ignore me, I'm just pointlessly grousing like an OS beardo from the 90s

Use alt+tab, win+tab, click the title bar or the program's icon in the taskbar to switch apps without clicking anything in the app itself

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, that's what I end up having to do, and I hate it

I like clicking the big sticky-outy part of the app that's right there, instead of hunting for the right title bar among fifteen :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

That seems like very desirable behavior for multitasking, otherwise you'd have to double-click every time? Just use the title bar for switching applications if you're unable to click whitespace, or use the taskbar for switching applications/windows.

Data Graham posted:

Windows 10 does allow you to execute gestures/scroll inactive windows. Funnily enough, this should be behavior you don't like, considering your first gripe.

Data Graham posted:

These are behaviors that are default on Mac

Second point is moot, first point is annoying and terrible behavior that Windows shouldn't emulate.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 20, 2019