Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeratain posted:

This is a really basic question, but here it goes.

1. I cannot play XVID AVI files within Quicktime and would prefer to do so without using third party software.
a) I've tried installing Perian, but it doesn't seem to work.
b) I've installed VLC to hold me over, but would prefer to have everything work in QuickTime. Any ideas why Perian doesn't do the trick?

2. What's the best method of streaming an AVI file to a current generation Apple TV? Should I convert it on the fly or are there methods of doing so natively?

Just use Movist to play videos. It handles nearly everything and it's not bloated like VLC. Very simple interface and starts up super quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
I went from VLC to Movist to MPlayerX.

Really loving MPlayerX out of the bunch. Love the keyboard scrobbling, the auto-next-episode feature, etc etc. Stable, simple and reliable. Available through the App Store for free.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does anyone know why Mac OS won't remember my video preferences? For example, I open an AVI with MPlayerX, and check the box to always open them with it. However, the next time I open an AVI, Quicktime starts up. Is there another setting somewhere that I should be using?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shroud posted:

Does anyone know why Mac OS won't remember my video preferences? For example, I open an AVI with MPlayerX, and check the box to always open them with it. However, the next time I open an AVI, Quicktime starts up. Is there another setting somewhere that I should be using?
Open With only changes it for that file.

Go to Get Info.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jolan posted:

I do not want Text Editor to re-open unsaved documents I had open when I quit the application. In SL, I would just hit cmd-Q and discard changes, so that next time I opened the app, I got a blank slate. In Lion, I only have the option of not saving previously saved documents, so all unsaved documents that I had open will have to be manually closed one by one to prevent them from returning upon opening the app again. And this sucks immensely. How can I fix this?

Try out http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110918051930924

quote:

Disable Saved Application States

OS X Lion offers a checkbox to disable saved application states. However, many applications do not seem to care about that checkbox (e.g. Terminal). The easiest way to prevent applications from writing away saved states is exactly that: don't let them write to the saved application states folder.

To do this, first open up Terminal. Issue the following command to remove any saved application states you might have:

rm -r '~/Library/Saved Application State/*'

Now, prevent anything from writing it's state away ever again:

chmod -R a-w '~/Library/Saved Application State'

You may use the chmod command on individual application's folders inside the Saved Application State folder to prevent a single application from writing its state away.

Likewise, to re-enable saving states, use the same command but make the change 'a+w' instead of 'a-w':

chmod -R a+w '~/Library/Saved Application State'

Disable 'Reopen windows when logging back in'

To permanently disable 'Reopen windows when logging back in,' you can use the following command:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow TALLogoutSavesState -bool false

This will effectively disable 'Reopen windows when logging back in,' though the checkbox will still be ticked. However, this switch resets itself every time on reboot. To prevent this from happening, again we remove write permissions on the file containing the option:

chmod a-w ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

This should do it. But there's where OS X gets nasty. When it can't write to this file, it will try to put the write permissions back itself. The solution is to change the owner to root, effectively preventing anyone (but root) from changing permissions on the file:

sudo chown root ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

To reverse this, simply issue the following commands:

sudo chown $USER ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
chmod a+w ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
defaults write com.apple.loginwindow TALLogoutSavesState -bool true

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Just discovered that I can screen share into a virtual display on a machine as different user than the one logged in. This is awesome! I have a Mini running in my bedroom running personal poo poo, and a Mini server (yeah craigslist) running as a Media Center in my living room and now, I can sell the Mini from my Bedroom!

Is there any way of making the other account log in when the mini logs in? I assume it only logs in when it's being actively controlled... The mini backs up some important files, I'd like that to keep happening without me having to log in.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

is there anything I can use in Lion to bind a gesture to a keystroke? I was so used to three finger swiping left to go back in finder and browsers in Snow Leopard, so I'd like to bind it to backspace...

I know there was multiclutch, but that stopped working after Snow Leopard :(

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

My PIN is 4826 posted:

is there anything I can use in Lion to bind a gesture to a keystroke? I was so used to three finger swiping left to go back in finder and browsers in Snow Leopard, so I'd like to bind it to backspace...

I know there was multiclutch, but that stopped working after Snow Leopard :(
BetterTouchTool

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

This is a little bit different approach and also works: http://simon.heimlicher.com/hints/macosx/disable_recent_items

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Here's a prefpane to disable restore on a per app basis: http://www.restoremenot.info/
Haven't tried it yet but I'm guessing it just applies whatever plist attribute to do its thing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If I decide to wipe my MBP and start with a fresh Lion install can I use a Time Machine backup to restore files from, or does that only work within the original install the TM was created with?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

If I decide to wipe my MBP and start with a fresh Lion install can I use a Time Machine backup to restore files from, or does that only work within the original install the TM was created with?
You can use a TM backup regardless. However, it's going to restore your upgraded SL -> Lion install.

I just went with the bare-metal reinstall. Honestly, I think it was a better option.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm only interested in if I can pick individual files from the TM after doing a clean install of Lion. Right now TM is my only backup of the files on my Mac so that would be my source for putting files back in place after the Lion install.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to force this textbox?

It's uneditable right now, and the server does, in fact, pop up a dialog asking for my password every time. It would be much more convenient if I could just enter it here once.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Is there a guide out for the most minimal installation of Windows 7 + Visual Studios 2010? I just want something that'll run but maybe stripped of everything so it uses as little HD space as possible on my MBA. I figured it was common enough that someone has written something. I can't find anything on Google.

Edit: To clarify, I mean in VirtualBox / VM Fusion / etc.

rsjr fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 29, 2011

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Martytoof posted:

Is there any way to force this textbox?

It's uneditable right now, and the server does, in fact, pop up a dialog asking for my password every time. It would be much more convenient if I could just enter it here once.

I believe that if you select "Authentication Settings" you can specify the password there and it remembers it. Certainly acts that way in 10.6

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah, that's the shared secret portion and it's already filled out. I'm reading more about it and it looks like it's a policy thing so I might be boned. Thanks anyway though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

Nah, that's the shared secret portion and it's already filled out. I'm reading more about it and it looks like it's a policy thing so I might be boned. Thanks anyway though.
If that's an older Cisco IPSec VPN you're connecting to, it's been set to prompt for the password each time on the actual VPN endpoint itself. Ours is exactly the same at work.

I also found that Lion won't route traffic past the VLAN the VPN server puts clients on if split tunneling isn't disabled, which is incredibly irritating. No, Apple, I don't want to send 100% of my Internet traffic through the work VPN :mad:

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Open With only changes it for that file.

Go to Get Info.

Sweet, thanks!

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Since upgrading to Lion, my version of Matlab vomits out the following every few seconds
pre:
2011-09-28 16:19:11.532 MATLAB_maci64[99494:8d03] This process is attempting to exclude an item from Time Machine 
by path without administrator privileges. This is not supported.
Since I'm running the application from the command line, it gets pretty annoying since I'm trying to look at the real output from the program not these warnings.

I tried redirecting stderr when starting the program but that causes all of the errors from the program itself to also be redirected. Is there any way that I can silence this thing?

If you have any idea what path it's trying to exclude, maybe exclude that yourself so it doesn't try to? Alternatively, run it once with sudo so it can add the exclusion and then hopefully it'll shut up.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

This really is the most insignificant problem, but is it possible to get the dictionary hits appearing higher in the list when I type a word into spotlight? The obvious place to look would be under 'search results' in spotlight preferences, but the dictionary isn't even in that list.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Is it just me or does this always somehow automatically get set back to immediately?

I set it at 15 minutes and a day later I'll look again and it'll be back to immediately.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Hey this might be a stupid rear end question but I just today switched from 15 years of PC use. I'm familiar enough to know that macs won't get the same viruses as PCs and that Lion has really stepped up it's security game, but are there any recommendations on security software? Is it necessary?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
It's really not necessary unless you're into doing shady things or generally being an idiot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There must be a ton of recent switchers, because that question's been asked more times in the last week than in the entire previous year.

Don't worry about antivirus. Don't put your user password into any installers you don't recognize and you're good.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The only reason for having antivirus software on a Mac is if you're really concerned about sending things that might be infected with a Windows virus to people. The probability of even that is negligible though, so the short answer is no, you don't need antivirus / malware protection software on a Mac.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Cyne posted:

The only reason for having antivirus software on a Mac is if you're really concerned about sending things that might be infected with a Windows virus to people. The probability of even that is negligible though, so the short answer is no, you don't need antivirus / malware protection software on a Mac.

This. Thank you.

Buying and using 1Password will have more of an effect on your Mac's security than largely-useless AV apps.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There must be a ton of recent switchers, because that question's been asked more times in the last week than in the entire previous year.

It's the cool thing to do :kiddo: I finally got a real mac this week, but the learning curve hasn't been too bad since I use linux on a regular basis and I've dicked around with hackintoshes back when 10.5 was new. So nice for what I do in school.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Alright, awesome. Thanks for the responses guys. I'm liking this already.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1password looks like a really good idea, but I don't understand why an app that could be marketed to basically every computer user is that expensive.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

1password looks like a really good idea, but I don't understand why an app that could be marketed to basically every computer user is that expensive.

Because it's worth the price?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New 10.7.2 seed is out for developers.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

Because it's worth the price?

My point is that apps tend to be priced inversely proportional to their potential userbase. Many of the most profitable apps on the app store have the lowest prices. This isn't about how much you personally are willing to pay-- it's about what price you can set it at to earn the maximum possible profit. The vast majority of people use the same password for pretty much every site, maybe just a dictionary word, maybe with a few numbers or something, but nothing really secure like 1password and 95% of them are going to shrug and lose interest when they see it costs $50.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

fleshweasel posted:

My point is that apps tend to be priced inversely proportional to their potential user base.

Which makes sense if you think about it, because apps with smaller customer bases need to be priced higher to make money.

As for 1Password specifically, it's worth the $40, especially since password and online account security is a huge issue for nearly everyone.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

This isn't about how much you personally are willing to pay-- it's about what price you can set it at to earn the maximum possible profit.

Price is also inversely proportional to support costs. The cheaper you go, the more dumbasses you get who require way too much support while shouting "MY :10bux:!"

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Terpfen posted:

As for 1Password specifically, it's worth the $40, especially since password and online account security is a huge issue for nearly everyone.

$70 for both Windows and OSX is a bit silly. I wish you got both versions for your $40.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Grayham posted:

Is it just me or does this always somehow automatically get set back to immediately?

I set it at 15 minutes and a day later I'll look again and it'll be back to immediately.

Actually yea, this happens to me to. Do you have FileVault enabled?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to tell MacOS to NOT mount a particular disk on startup?

I just installed Windows 7 on a spare SATA drive to play Battlefield 3. Of course it shows up under Finder. I have no need for it to, and honestly I'd rather not even know it exists while I'm booted in MacOS. It's NTFS and not writeable anyway, and literally the only time I ever plan to use it is to boot Windows to play that particular game so there won't be any data on there I need to access.

Any suggestions? I could write a login hook to hdiutil eject it, I suppose. Ideally there would be some way to flag a drive as "DO NOT MOUNT" though.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
What does 1Password do that Keepass doesn't?

http://keepass.info/download.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

rsjr posted:

What does 1Password do that Keepass doesn't?

http://keepass.info/download.html

Built-in browser integration, syncs to 1password iOS apps, much better UI than Keepass.