Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Arcon posted:

I managed to land a Macbook Pro 16" this week and I am assessing my options for a clean install - I have never used macOS in my life outside of fixing client computers, so I have no real expectations of specific software working

Do I install Catalina? Do I install Big Sur?

Catalina, because Big Sur is still in developer beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just install updates as you’re prompted to. If you’re not coming with older software nothing new will give you an issue.

Homebrew is a really fun thing to learn how to use.

Edit: when you say ‘got hold of’ do you mean it’s a used machine and you want to reset it to default?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh yeah.. :siren: macOS 10.15.6 dropped :siren:

Probably the last point release of Catalina.

Apple posted:

This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.

Adds a new option to optimize video streaming on HDR-compatible Mac notebooks for improved battery life

Fixes an issue where the computer name may change after installing a software update

Resolves an issue where certain USB mouse and trackpads may lose connection

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Sri.Theo posted:

Just install updates as you’re prompted to. If you’re not coming with older software nothing new will give you an issue.

Homebrew is a really fun thing to learn how to use.

Edit: when you say ‘got hold of’ do you mean it’s a used machine and you want to reset it to default?

Yeah it's used - original owners OS install is still there but the Find My Mac/icloud account has been removed so I should? be good to do the reinstall

I am used to beta software in general - I do Windows/Android previews fairly regularly, but if the smart move is Catalina Ill just stick to it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Oh yeah.. :siren: macOS 10.15.6 dropped :siren:

Probably the last point release of Catalina.

my 2013 imac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fmPWa7gL8k

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Arcon posted:

I am used to beta software in general
macOS betas are.....kind of not great.

Stick to Catalina for now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nexxai posted:

macOS betas are.....kind of not great.

Stick to Catalina for now.

They're very deceiving in that Beta 1 will be rough, Beta 2 will be solid but need some polish, Beta 3 will be screaming fast and ready to rock and then Beta 4 will have a bug where right clicking on a jpeg in safari causes your filesystem to delete random files.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just wait for dosdude to issue a Big Sur patch no need to play taps

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

Just wait for dosdude to issue a Big Sur patch no need to play taps

Wonder if my late 2012 will be able to run it unofficially.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's a guy running a patched Big Sur beta 2 with no issues on the MacRumors forums, and he's got a 21.5 inch Late 2012 iMac with a GeForce GT 640M and 8 GB of RAM.

Just look in the 'macOS 11 on Big Sur Unsupported Macs thread' on page 83..

Basically, all the Macs that met the minimum requirements for Catalina can be patched to run Big Sur easily, although it seems WiFi will only work with newer hardware.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 16, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

There's a guy running a patched Big Sur beta 2 with no issues on the MacRumors forums, and he's got a 21.5 inch Late 2012 iMac with a GeForce GT 640M and 8 GB of RAM.

Basically, all the Macs that met the minimum requirements for Catalina can be patched to run Big Sur easily, although it seems WiFi will only work with newer hardware.

Mines the the 27 inch with the 675MX so it sounds like mine should run fine. Hopefully that WiFi issue is fixed by the time the GM is out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mines the the 27 inch with the 675MX so it sounds like mine should run fine. Hopefully that WiFi issue is fixed by the time the GM is out.

I don’t think so on the WiFi thing. I seem to recall it being a hardware issue that needed to be replaced. You could probably use a dongle though.

Unless this is a different issue.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcon posted:

Stay current with major versions of the OS, let other people try the point releases first, install brew for command line tools, and BBEdit if you need a good text editor (think a better Notepad++).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I like Sublime and TextEdit as well

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Im not turning my iMac into a Hackintosh

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Worst comes to worst you buy an Ethernet to WiFi adapter, just like people used to do for their older Xboxes.

It's rather irksome that Apple decided to cut some machines out of the Big Sur family for the simple expedient of not supporting anything older than seven years of age.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Or I could just stop being lazy and wire my iMac directly, my modem is just across the room so it would just require some simple wall pinning.:v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have an App Store app that downloads some content to my computer. How can I monitor where it puts it (monitor, not "look around a few places"). Like is there a way to open a terminal window or something that will tell me where the download is coming from and going to?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have an App Store app that downloads some content to my computer. How can I monitor where it puts it (monitor, not "look around a few places"). Like is there a way to open a terminal window or something that will tell me where the download is coming from and going to?

lsof

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

They're very deceiving in that Beta 1 will be rough, Beta 2 will be solid but need some polish, Beta 3 will be screaming fast and ready to rock and then Beta 4 will have a bug where right clicking on a jpeg in safari causes your filesystem to delete random files.

This is so accurate. You feel smart for waiting for Beta 2, then it runs so well that you let your guard down. All is well, you notice one or two small things, but they're trivial. And then blammo, some kind of absolute showstopping bullshit right at the end you get to suffer through for a few weeks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/07/17/apple-has-fixed-the-usb-20-connection-bug-in-catalina-but-not-in-big-sur-yet

Once again, Apple programmers can't get the USB stack right.

10.15.6 supposedly fixes issues with USB 2.0 devices falling off the USB chain.. geez no wonder my old flat aluminum Apple Keyboard would suddenly stop being recognized in earlier versions, thought I just had a bum keyboard.

Supposedly, the CalDigit TS3 Plus sidesteps this by presenting USB 2.0 devices as USB 3.0..

BTW, the issue is still present in Big Sur beta 1 and 2..

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah I've just come to accept that USB is hosed. The left USB port on my MBP works about 50% of the time. And the 'reliable' right port will eventually stop recognizing my iPad until a restart.

Apple: I͞t̢ Jus̸t͟ Work̴s

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

excellent bird guy posted:

I really don't know the difference between $ brew and $ brew cask but I really like it, what a great package manager. So a Mac is basically just a really nice Unix. And if you don't like that then it has all the UI stuff like Ubuntu does.

Think of it this way--a cask is something you'd think of as a regular package you would install that would live in your Applications folder. Typically, if its open source, you can just
code:
brew install
but if its closed source, its casked so
code:
brew cask install
Homebrew works on vanilla unix too for open source stuff too! (most of the time)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/07/17/apple-has-fixed-the-usb-20-connection-bug-in-catalina-but-not-in-big-sur-yet

Once again, Apple programmers can't get the USB stack right.

10.15.6 supposedly fixes issues with USB 2.0 devices falling off the USB chain.. geez no wonder my old flat aluminum Apple Keyboard would suddenly stop being recognized in earlier versions, thought I just had a bum keyboard.

Supposedly, the CalDigit TS3 Plus sidesteps this by presenting USB 2.0 devices as USB 3.0..

BTW, the issue is still present in Big Sur beta 1 and 2..

I've had this issue before with an old magic keyboard, but are you complaining about them fixing the problem, I don't understand ?

E: Is it because the fix hasn't made it to an unfinished version of Big Sur?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but just checking if this is how things should work:

I have Win10 Bootcamp on my MBP and I'm running Paragon AFPS.
I just noticed that when logging into Windows, I can access the documents and user files for ALL users on the macOS APFS partition without the need for any password. All I had to do was mount the drive.
Will turning on Filevault prevent this?
Thanks!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yep, turning on File Vault is probably what you want to do there. Preventing drives from being read on other machines and o5er people is what it’s for essentially.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oh but also it will lock you out from the drives unless the software you’re using can decrypt them and if it can, then you’re kind of back where you started? Operating systems don’t like to respect each other’s user accounts very well. Not much you can do to get around hat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, I'll try turning FileVault on and see what happens.
I was so surprised it actually worked in the first place.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Last Chance posted:

I've had this issue before with an old magic keyboard, but are you complaining about them fixing the problem, I don't understand ?

E: Is it because the fix hasn't made it to an unfinished version of Big Sur?

USB 2 is very old. It should not have taken this long.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hm. My gf's 2013 MBP would encounter stutters/freezing every couple minutes. It does this on a fresh Catalina install. I downgraded her to Mojave and it works perfectly fine. :confused:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Crunchy Black posted:

Think of it this way--a cask is something you'd think of as a regular package you would install that would live in your Applications folder. Typically, if its open source, you can just
code:
brew install
code:
brew cask install
Homebrew works on vanilla unix too for open source stuff too! (most of the time)

Edit: i typed a bunch of garbage wtf i have to rewrite this so it makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.
I see a lot of brew installs to /usr/local/Cellar so I made a link to there. I've never used the AppStore before by the way, don't think that's my style.

I'm a little confused at why the & command doesn't work to keep the term usable while another program is launched? I installed FreeCiv and the term waits until the program is terminated. A little annoying.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 19, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

code:
brew install
code:
brew cask install

Wait this doesn't help me understand at all

Why would there be a difference?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Fallom posted:

Wait this doesn't help me understand at all

Why would there be a difference?

I think that means that CASK is for nonfree/nonopen software, while BREW without the cask is FOSS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I get that but it should all be going to /Applications no matter what the licensing scheme is, so why have two separate install commands?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
programmers just make up arbitrary bullshit as they go along

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Fallom posted:

Yeah I get that but it should all be going to /Applications no matter what the licensing scheme is, so why have two separate install commands?

Casks are typically installed to /Applications, normal brew installs are typically installed to /usr/local/Cellar (and then parts of those installs are sym linked to their equivalent folders in /usr/local, e.g. /usr/local/bin). In other words, casks are typically apps, while normal brew is typically for command line programs. I say "typically" because I'm basing this on what I've seen. The only casks I have installed that didn't result in a .app installed to /Applications are a few fancy programmer fonts, but again, these aren't command line programs.

I'm not sure exactly how open vs closed source plays into the picture, but I definitely have some casks installed that are FOSS, so I don't think the licensing scheme is the main distinction between brew/cask.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm not sure but the way I always understood it was GUI stuff is cask.

For example if I want virtualbox and terraform I'd use cask to install VB into /applications and regular brew to install terraform.

But I could be very wrong. Either way it works fine and it's a pretty good package manager so idc is o have to type cask every once in a while.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Arcon posted:

I managed to land a Macbook Pro 16" this week and I am assessing my options for a clean install - I have never used macOS in my life outside of fixing client computers, so I have no real expectations of specific software working

And I realize the OP exists but it's also old - what QoL utilities should I be looking to grab, since my toolkit is all repair/diagnostic focused. I know most of my core applications should work fine since everything is electron these days, so mostly just mac-specific stuff

BetterTouchTool for a better Touch Bar experience.
OnyX for the occasional system tweak that macOS doesn't have a preference for.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm not sure but the way I always understood it was GUI stuff is cask.

For example if I want virtualbox and terraform I'd use cask to install VB into /applications and regular brew to install terraform.

But I could be very wrong. Either way it works fine and it's a pretty good package manager so idc is o have to type cask every once in a while.

This is it. "brew" is command line stuff or command line stuff that also incidentally contains GUI apps (like TeX), "brew cask" is for GUI apps. Open source or non-open-source has nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Arcon posted:

what QoL utilities should I be looking to grab, since my toolkit is all repair/diagnostic focused. I know most of my core applications should work fine since everything is electron these days, so mostly just mac-specific stuff
CleanMyMac (NOT MacKeeper or any of the other "mac cleaner" programs) is awesome. There is also Sensei, which just came out and I haven't tried, but I hear good things about.