Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Will both of those allow concurrent logins? So I can remote into the background while another user is on the desktop?

My use of Windows is not expert. I really only use it to game and when I need to log into some servers at work to access what I'm really working on.

Are you running as different users? I know you can't have multiple of the same userID at the same time.

I have a feeling your issue with VNC on the server side is it might be running under a user ID as opposed to being run as a service.

I'm not sure about Jump Desktop, but RDP runs as a service so that will be independent of any local user logins.

I've never had occasion to have concurrent users running at the same time at home and I really only use my Windows box as a gaming rig so I have even less reason to log into it remotely.

At the very least RDP is built into Windows 10, so you might as well try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just to clarify, I'm using Windows to remote into my wife's iMac, not vice versa. I don't think RDP can be set up as a server in macOS

It would not be the same user at the same time, two separate ones.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Just to clarify, I'm using Windows to remote into my wife's iMac, not vice versa. I don't think RDP can be set up as a server in macOS

It would not be the same user at the same time, two separate ones.

Ah, poo poo. I was going the wrong direction, I'm sorry.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I use VNC a lot for work. Jump will cost for a Mac license, TeamViewer will be free. Both support the user and clipboard situation you’re looking for.

Chrome Remote Desktop, tightvnc, and Parsec will also work but I don’t know about their clipboard support. All those are free.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

I use VNC a lot for work. Jump will cost for a Mac license, TeamViewer will be free. Both support the user and clipboard situation you’re looking for.

Chrome Remote Desktop, tightvnc, and Parsec will also work but I don’t know about their clipboard support. All those are free.

Thanks! I'll explore those out. Appreciate the responses.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any way to get Fusion Pro cheaper than MSRP or am I stuck? Kinda getting sick of VirtualBox being slow and I'm not big on Paralells.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Any way to get Fusion Pro cheaper than MSRP or am I stuck? Kinda getting sick of VirtualBox being slow and I'm not big on Paralells.

Look at Fusion Player. I just moved to it and it works great. I realized I didn't need to keep on the paid train when I was no longer having to maintain a bunch of Linux VMs I would push to ESX.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I think Lodge North sells keys for that

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Look at Fusion Player. I just moved to it and it works great. I realized I didn't need to keep on the paid train when I was no longer having to maintain a bunch of Linux VMs I would push to ESX.
I need the networking features that pro has and also I use vagrant a lot (yes, I know I have to pay for that)

tuyop posted:

I think Lodge North sells keys for that

Who what now?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I need the networking features that pro has and also I use vagrant a lot (yes, I know I have to pay for that)

Who what now?

SA Mart software keys thread. also sells cheap Creative Cloud and Office.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

tuyop posted:

SA Mart software keys thread. also sells cheap Creative Cloud and Office.

Oh wow this is perfect. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

So, scrap that VM plan. I completely forgot that my wife has a 2012 iMac that I can use concurrently provided I VNC in using the built in Screen Sharing.

Problem is, I can't copy/paste to/from the iMac from Windows 10 using RealVNC VNC Viewer.

I tried setting up VNC Server and Splashtop on it, but it controls the whole PC and doesn't allow concurrent users (I remoting in the background and not disturbing her use at the keyboard/mouse). The C/P works just fine in those situations.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there something I'm missing here to enable clipboard sharing over VNC between Mac and Windows? Is there a better Windows client that will work? Seems like it's a macOS limitation, but I could be wrong.
Comedy option to try would be to use the Catalina VM on your NAS to use Screen Sharing to remote into your wife's computer.

Real answer I guess would be to try other VNC clients, or just search around for any with Mac clipboard support. Or be ghetto and just use some other shared app as a pseudo clipboard, like Google Docs but more meant for to be used as a networked clipboard...actually there’s clipboard apps so just look for one of those with sync support.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Quick question.

Every now and then the cursor on my mac starts playing up and picks and chooses when it wants to change if I hover over clickable screen elements (i.e sometimes it will just stay as the default cursor when I hover over a link on a web page or a button on an application rather than change to a pointer)

A restart solves it but that seems like a lot of hassle for what is a small annoyance. Is there a way to force restart the cursor service without having to reboot the whole system?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 28, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

japtor posted:

Comedy option to try would be to use the Catalina VM on your NAS to use Screen Sharing to remote into your wife's computer.

Real answer I guess would be to try other VNC clients, or just search around for any with Mac clipboard support. Or be ghetto and just use some other shared app as a pseudo clipboard, like Google Docs but more meant for to be used as a networked clipboard...actually there’s clipboard apps so just look for one of those with sync support.

I love the comedy option of the VM. Xzibit would show up real fast and show me how it's really done of course.

Funny thing is that I did use the Google Keep as a fake clipboard for a while.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

TraderStav posted:

So, scrap that VM plan. I completely forgot that my wife has a 2012 iMac that I can use concurrently provided I VNC in using the built in Screen Sharing.

Problem is, I can't copy/paste to/from the iMac from Windows 10 using RealVNC VNC Viewer.

I tried setting up VNC Server and Splashtop on it, but it controls the whole PC and doesn't allow concurrent users (I remoting in the background and not disturbing her use at the keyboard/mouse). The C/P works just fine in those situations.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there something I'm missing here to enable clipboard sharing over VNC between Mac and Windows? Is there a better Windows client that will work? Seems like it's a macOS limitation, but I could be wrong.

Anydesk is a solid option with clipboard functions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Catalina keeps telling me my Exchange login has expired but when I click on the notification I don't get any prompt to log in again. This results in OneDrive, Outlook emails, etc. silently failing. How do I deal with this besides removing and re-adding the Exchange account?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been using F.Lux for years and really enjoy it, but would really love to be able to turn to full 1200k at will as it's really easy on my eyes normally unless I'm watching a video or doing some photo crap. Is there a way to do this other than going into the preferences and changing the "when I wake up" time and moving the color slider all the way to the left? I'd love to just be able to toggle it on and off.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've been using F.Lux for years and really enjoy it, but would really love to be able to turn to full 1200k at will as it's really easy on my eyes normally unless I'm watching a video or doing some photo crap. Is there a way to do this other than going into the preferences and changing the "when I wake up" time and moving the color slider all the way to the left? I'd love to just be able to toggle it on and off.

Night Shift might do the trick for your toggling needs being in Control Center and all. You can change the warmth, but I don’t think it gives it a temperature if that’s a big deal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

Circling back around on this. Teamviewer ended up being the best solution over all. Only a tiny bit of weirdness that I need to use WinKey->C, etc to copy/paste, but I'll get my muscle memory working on that.

TV is also VERY snappy! It doesn't even feel like I'm remote on it!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

nitsuga posted:

Night Shift might do the trick for your toggling needs being in Control Center and all. You can change the warmth, but I don’t think it gives it a temperature if that’s a big deal.

Unfortunately it doesn't get warm enough- my eyes get very sensitive when it gets dark, but thank you!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Over the last few days when I drag something from an email attachment onto desktop it doesn't show up ON the desktop or in finder. I can drag 3 or 4 of the same file and it doesn't show up or ask if i want to replace duplicate files. Same if i take a screenshot it doesn't show up.

If I forcequit finder and relaunch it ALL the files I dragged and their duplicates will show up. How do I stop this madness. I have restarted.

OS Mojave 10.14.6
Macbook Pro 2017 (touchbar)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've had that happen a few times over the years. No idea what causes it, but a killall and/or reboot always fixes it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

American McGay posted:

I've had that happen a few times over the years. No idea what causes it, but a killall and/or reboot always fixes it.

I ended up just doing a full turn off and leaving it alone for half and hour and it worked.

go back to your regularly scheduled programming!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TraderStav posted:

Circling back around on this. Teamviewer ended up being the best solution over all. Only a tiny bit of weirdness that I need to use WinKey->C, etc to copy/paste, but I'll get my muscle memory working on that.

TV is also VERY snappy! It doesn't even feel like I'm remote on it!

Just hope you don't get the infamous "your account has been closed for commercial use" when you've not used the account for commercial.

I moved to Jump a few years ago because of this and it does everything just as well as TV luckily, it's crazy how far it's come to the point where I can check video playback without any issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just hope you don't get the infamous "your account has been closed for commercial use" when you've not used the account for commercial.

I moved to Jump a few years ago because of this and it does everything just as well as TV luckily, it's crazy how far it's come to the point where I can check video playback without any issue.

Holy smokes, I may do that now as I can't do video playback. I'll check it out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jump on a Windows-Windows machine is some next level free magic for sure.

TV has all the money in the world and the AR support stuff looks incredible as well. But very expensive and aggressive with their monetization for sure!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did you get the audio working from the Mac to Windows? I installed the BlackHole thing in Midi devices and followed the directions to a T and nothing is coming through. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw the thing about it but I run my Windows machine on mute anyway so I never bothered trying it!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw the thing about it but I run my Windows machine on mute anyway so I never bothered trying it!

Ah, you mentioned video so assumed the audio came with it! I'll play around but really not an important part of the use case.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
There is this very annoying feature I need to turn off in my 2020 MBP. I use IRC like a nerd, when I close the laptop lid, the system goes into sleep, but it keeps waking up/connecting to the wifi to check email or something, I don't know, but my user will log in and out from IRC all night long, and I don't like spamming rooms like that. What can I do to prevent that?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Cheese Thief posted:

There is this very annoying feature I need to turn off in my 2020 MBP. I use IRC like a nerd, when I close the laptop lid, the system goes into sleep, but it keeps waking up/connecting to the wifi to check email or something, I don't know, but my user will log in and out from IRC all night long, and I don't like spamming rooms like that. What can I do to prevent that?

Try turning off power nap features in energy saver settings.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

spaced ninja posted:

Try turning off power nap features in energy saver settings.

drat it was already off. What is the difference between Sleep and Hibernate? I'd think hibernation would be like sleep, but deeper to the point where they don't get up during the night to reconnect to wifi.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is text input in certain fields in Safari really laggy for anyone else?

I can CMD-L to the URL bar and start typing google.ca and it'll type "go" and then fill in "o" "g" "l" and "e" really slowly, sometimes seemingly not until I hit some other key on the keyboard. This is the same for some text input boxes, such as on google itself. It's maddening because it'll often get me to second guess whether I actually typed something or just pressed the key too lightly leaning to things like goooogle...ca. Not limited to one laptop, both my MBPs, one 2016 and one 2019 exhibit this across various version of Safari.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

Is text input in certain fields in Safari really laggy for anyone else?

I can CMD-L to the URL bar and start typing google.ca and it'll type "go" and then fill in "o" "g" "l" and "e" really slowly, sometimes seemingly not until I hit some other key on the keyboard. This is the same for some text input boxes, such as on google itself. It's maddening because it'll often get me to second guess whether I actually typed something or just pressed the key too lightly leaning to things like goooogle...ca. Not limited to one laptop, both my MBPs, one 2016 and one 2019 exhibit this across various version of Safari.

Ahhh...feature parity with the iPhone!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Ahhh...feature parity with the iPhone!

I've been wanting keyboard lag parity for years and now that it's here all I can do is complain :[

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am thinking about my workflow, and it's just a mess.. I'd like to start using workspaces to my advantage. Ideally workspace 1) iTerm2 maximized; workspace 2) Emacs maximized; workspace 3) Chromium maximize; workspace 4) Discord; workspace 5) Preview; workspace 6) Whatever creative software I'd need at the time.
And that's all I need. File management would take place entirely within iTerm. Finder is a pain in the rear end. Does anybody know how to go about using workspaces to their advantage? I'd be a lot happier in my love/hate relationship with my laptop.

Edit: I just found out about swiping with 3 fingers, to the left/right, and up. I never knew this. That makes life more organized.
Now might there be a way to hot key from workspace 1? Like an alt+1 type motion, so I don't have to use the mouse? Ideally, doing everything from the keyboard is faster and easier. Cntrl + left or right makes me dizzy, :vomit: these animations are awful

Edit2: Turned off the animations by reducing motion, thank God. I hate the fade effect, what the gently caress are they thinking. Just show me the window. Can I turn the stupid fade off? There is no point to it except to slow me down. Okay I'm done with my rant, sorry.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 3, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cheese Thief posted:

I am thinking about my workflow, and it's just a mess.. I'd like to start using workspaces to my advantage. Ideally workspace 1) iTerm2 maximized; workspace 2) Emacs maximized; workspace 3) Chromium maximize; workspace 4) Discord; workspace 5) Preview; workspace 6) Whatever creative software I'd need at the time.
And that's all I need. File management would take place entirely within iTerm. Finder is a pain in the rear end. Does anybody know how to go about using workspaces to their advantage? I'd be a lot happier in my love/hate relationship with my laptop.

Edit: I just found out about swiping with 3 fingers, to the left/right, and up. I never knew this. That makes life more organized.
Now might there be a way to hot key from workspace 1? Like an alt+1 type motion, so I don't have to use the mouse? Ideally, doing everything from the keyboard is faster and easier. Cntrl + left or right makes me dizzy, :vomit: these animations are awful

Edit2: Turned off the animations by reducing motion, thank God. I hate the fade effect, what the gently caress are they thinking. Just show me the window. Can I turn the stupid fade off? There is no point to it except to slow me down. Okay I'm done with my rant, sorry.

ctrl + 1/2/3/4 should switch you directly to whatever desktop/workspace, you might need to configure in system pref -> keyboard -> shortcuts -> mission control for more than the first couple desktops/workspaces.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just found that Apple Music has a "Release Date" field. But in my searching, there's no way to edit this field for music? This seems to be something people have been requesting since at least 2007. Has anyone figured out a way to do it now? I'd like to add that to albums where an artist put out more than one album a year (Jimi Hendirx, Judas Priest, etc). Even Doug's Scripts doesn't seem to have it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I'm having a problem deleting some files - it says "the operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to to access some of the items". I've tried taking control of the folder but they're already set as me having read and write access. It's in a OneDrive folder but I don't think that should make a difference.

Weirdly I remember having this problem on my old white MacBook about 10 years ago.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm having a problem when I ad things to Music (né iTunes) where if I add an album that I bought from another site such as Booth or Bandcamp it will be there on my Mac but it will sometimes either only partially add it to my iCloud account or not at all, making it so I cannot play the album on other devices. Is there a way to force upload to iCloud somehow?