Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TACD posted:

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of wireless headphones, and so far my experience is absolutely confirming all my Old Man Yells At Cloud opinions that prevented me from doing so earlier. Using them during the workday on my Mac and sometimes they'll be absolutely fine for hours, and sometimes there'll be microstutters every minute or two that wreck the whole experience. I'm poring through console logs and Bluetooth Explorer trying to find any activity that correlates with the stutters and feeling massively disheartened at how common this issue seems to be, and that there's apparently no decisive way to troubleshoot something that should have been solved years ago.

Is this just how Bluetooth audio is? Am I missing a trick for fixing my music or is stuttery audio the price everybody has agreed to pay for not being tethered to the desktop by a cable?

Some headphones get real lovely when paired with apples BT stack.

My Bose soundlinks at boot with stutter like 20-30% of the time, and I need to shut them off and on a few times to get it to stop. It’ll clear for a few weeks if I unpair and repair, but I’m lazy.

If it’s not a stack issue like that, it’s probably interference. BT is pretty much figured out for audio playback, especially at 5.0.

Usual culprits are mice, keyboards, cordless phones, even routers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TACD posted:

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of wireless headphones, and so far my experience is absolutely confirming all my Old Man Yells At Cloud opinions that prevented me from doing so earlier. Using them during the workday on my Mac and sometimes they'll be absolutely fine for hours, and sometimes there'll be microstutters every minute or two that wreck the whole experience. I'm poring through console logs and Bluetooth Explorer trying to find any activity that correlates with the stutters and feeling massively disheartened at how common this issue seems to be, and that there's apparently no decisive way to troubleshoot something that should have been solved years ago.

Is this just how Bluetooth audio is? Am I missing a trick for fixing my music or is stuttery audio the price everybody has agreed to pay for not being tethered to the desktop by a cable?

bluetooth sucks and mac os's bluetooth framework is a burning dumpster fire judging by the number of kernel panics i've seen it cause over the years but it really shouldn't be that bad. unfortunately, there are a lot of very expensive and very lovely bluetooth headphones out there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If I have the latest (and probably last) 13” 4-TB Port Intel MBP running BS and the most recent version of Premiere Pro CC, is it unusual that scrubbing through a 1080p timeline previewing titles, graphics and transitions runs smoother in (deprecated)OpenCL than Metal?

If it's the 2020 model with the Ice Lake CPU, not unusual.. according to this article here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...s.422772.0.html

Apple is still keeping support for both OpenCL and OpenGL in Catalina / Big Sur; they're still moribund versions, it's something like OpenCL v1.2 and OpenGL v4.1..

If they didn't keep this moribund support, it would break countless scientific / imaging apps, some of which don't have any Windows equivalents, and you can bet that some will never be ported over.. the screams of the dying would be a nightmare for Apple unless they want to send out legions of programmers fluent in developing for the Metal API to re-teach people, and that's a guaranteed never happening thing too..

Apple probably is using Intel provided source code for its iGPU drivers which have supported OpenCL for the longest time on Windows; they probably contract out writing the Metal drivers because it's Apple proprietary bullshit and as a result less efficient than the Intel OpenCL code where they've had years to refine it.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I ordered a 16GB RAM/1TB SSD MBA on November 12, and a new Apple Watch for my SO on Thanksgiving morning. The Watch is both “Scheduled for Delivery” but also in sitting in Korea according to the UPS app and my laptop has yet to ship.

I thought I would stop by the MacRumors forums to see what the fanatics were saying about shipping times and it is truly a pathetic thread. These people are beyond obsessed. They track UPS flights that could potentially have apple devices on them down to notifying each other of when planes have landed and are taxiing to gates. It’s fascinating. I feel awful for anyone working for UPS/FedEx or logistics of any kind right now. Ugh.

Has anyone received a higher spec’d M1 Air from Apple yet? I am curious if mine will reach me by Monday, which is the end of Apple’s delivery window. I don’t see how that will happen. I’m not in a hurry to get it or anything and really don’t want to go into a mall to get to the nearest store if they were to get them in stock, so I’m happy waiting. I’d like to play with the thing during my week off later this month though since there is nothing else to do.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
For those of you with Bluetooth issues, do you by any chance have a USB3 hard drive plugged in?

I'd get major drops with my Samsung T5 plugged into my TB dock. I removed it and now my keyboard/mouse/headhpones are rock solid.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Totally Huge posted:

I ordered a 16GB RAM/1TB SSD MBA on November 12, and a new Apple Watch for my SO on Thanksgiving morning. The Watch is both “Scheduled for Delivery” but also in sitting in Korea according to the UPS app and my laptop has yet to ship.

I thought I would stop by the MacRumors forums to see what the fanatics were saying about shipping times and it is truly a pathetic thread. These people are beyond obsessed. They track UPS flights that could potentially have apple devices on them down to notifying each other of when planes have landed and are taxiing to gates. It’s fascinating. I feel awful for anyone working for UPS/FedEx or logistics of any kind right now. Ugh.

Has anyone received a higher spec’d M1 Air from Apple yet? I am curious if mine will reach me by Monday, which is the end of Apple’s delivery window. I don’t see how that will happen. I’m not in a hurry to get it or anything and really don’t want to go into a mall to get to the nearest store if they were to get them in stock, so I’m happy waiting. I’d like to play with the thing during my week off later this month though since there is nothing else to do.

This sounds more like mental illness than obsessed.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Totally Huge posted:

I got a 16GB/1TB Air same day of order, but that was by catching the moment when a local Apple Store showed as having one available for pickup. If you don't want to obsessively play around with Apple's website followed by going into a mall (understandable because COVID), you'll have to wait for the currently hosed shipping logistics to work themselves out (also thanks COVID).

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

BobHoward posted:

I got a 16GB/1TB Air same day of order, but that was by catching the moment when a local Apple Store showed as having one available for pickup. If you don't want to obsessively play around with Apple's website followed by going into a mall (understandable because COVID), you'll have to wait for the currently hosed shipping logistics to work themselves out (also thanks COVID).

This time of year I wouldn’t set foot in a mall regardless, but COVID really strengthens that stance for me. There are other non-mall Apple stores I could go a little further away but meh, like I said I am not super desperate for this thing and don’t want to spend time refreshing their store. I just want it before Xmas week so I can have some free time to mess around with it.

I looked at that insane MacForums thread some more and it seems like anything coming out of China is F’d, but any shipments marked “Express Delivery” by Apple in the US are shipping from local warehouses overnight. Mine says Express so I suppose it’s possible I’ll get it sometime this year! Several people that ordered day one are saying their delivery dates have been pushed back to January because some kind of big SNAFU.

I cannot express how pathetic that thread is though. My god.

knucklehead
Apr 29, 2004

concentrated and crosseyed a dangerous combination
Quick question about time machine. I have ordered a new mac mini m1 512gb 16g of ram. Delivery is scheduled for 12/23. However, I would like to buy the cheapest mac mini m1 and use it till my better mac mini arrives. Obviously, I would then return the cheaper mac mini. Will time machine backup work between two machines like this? Will the rest of my 512 gb just show up as useable disc space after I use time machine, or does time machine work like a disc clone app? Thanks!

I only have a week off of work next week, would rather set everything up now then during the busy flu/covid season at work over the next month.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

For those of you with Bluetooth issues, do you by any chance have a USB3 hard drive plugged in?

I'd get major drops with my Samsung T5 plugged into my TB dock. I removed it and now my keyboard/mouse/headhpones are rock solid.
Nothing at all plugged in for me, though my partner does have a RAID connected to her Mac at the other end of the desk. If an external drive connected to a different machine causes Bluetooth interference then I’m giving up on technology and moving to the forest.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TACD posted:

Nothing at all plugged in for me, though my partner does have a RAID connected to her Mac at the other end of the desk. If an external drive connected to a different machine causes Bluetooth interference then I’m giving up on technology and moving to the forest.
USB 3.0 has been known to interfere with Bluetooth.

On the 2018 Mac mini it’s pretty bad, I basically have to use the Magic Trackpad wired cause of it, and gave up using my Powerbeats for Zoom cause they can be inconsistent. Supposedly just using the TB/USB-C ports are ok :iiam:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any free folder icon sets in the new Big Sur style to use in Finder?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

japtor posted:

Don't they have that already or are those on ear rather than over ear?

I think they classify as on-ear, but that's not my beef with them, they are just woefully antiquated compared to modern Apple-ASIC powered headphones.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a recommendation for adblocking in Safari now that uBlock Origin doesn't work?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for adblocking in Safari now that uBlock Origin doesn't work?

I’ve been using 1Blocker like I do on my phone and it seems to be working well.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Is there a good alternative to Smooze?

I really like it but it’s a bit jittery on the Mac Mini M1 with a 144hz display. The Mini’s performance is buttery smooth so the jittery grabbing and auto scroll stands out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

I think they classify as on-ear, but that's not my beef with them, they are just woefully antiquated compared to modern Apple-ASIC powered headphones.
Looking it up there's two models, the older (over ear?) Studio and newer on ear Solo Pro, which I think probably is Apple powered. I remember they came out basically the same time as the AirPods Pro, have the H1, and just happened to have ANC w/transparency mode too (the Studio has W1, ANC, but no transparency mode). They say it's their own ANC but that seems like too much of a coincidence, plus Beats = Apple so they could technically fudge the wording however they want :v:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the GPU stuff is interesting but i don't see how Apple gets the two big GPU user segments on-board: CUDA compute users and gamers

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Less Fat Luke posted:

AdGuard works great for me and it supports the same custom blocklist format

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

japtor posted:

USB 3.0 has been known to interfere with Bluetooth.

On the 2018 Mac mini it’s pretty bad, I basically have to use the Magic Trackpad wired cause of it, and gave up using my Powerbeats for Zoom cause they can be inconsistent. Supposedly just using the TB/USB-C ports are ok :iiam:

We've seen it at work a couple of times. That's in 4 years on a campus with 6 or 7 thousand Macs.

https://www.bluetoothandusb3.com/the-explanation

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have an issue, when I use Discord the smart bar or whatever it's called on my 2020 MBP, it started showing an emoji icon on the far left. I think it started yesterday. I forgot how to customize it, but the thing is driving me nuts because as I type the happy face icon just blinks and blinks, it's super annoying and I need it gone. What WERE they thinking :avgnface:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Also my loving iphone keeps asking me to setup 'Apple Pay.' I'd never trust them with my credit card. I need them to stop pestering me. I might even call them on the customer support number if I keep getting pop ups.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Cheese Thief posted:

Also my loving iphone keeps asking me to setup 'Apple Pay.' I'd never trust them with my credit card. I need them to stop pestering me. I might even call them on the customer support number if I keep getting pop ups.

Just setup your card you Luddite

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Apple Pay is great if you’re security conscious. No more giving vendors your actual card number, just a one off code with a payment attached. Apple don’t get it either, it’s kept entirely within a secure area of your phone.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Learning how Apple Pay actually functions immediately took me from “I don’t want or need this” to “ if Apple Pay is an option I will always choose it.”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apple: "we literally do not want to know or even see any of your sensitive information, we will fight the law if we have to in order to avoid us having even the ability to read any of your encrypted data"

Customers: "I don't know something seems fishy about these guys"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cheese Thief posted:

I have an issue, when I use Discord the smart bar or whatever it's called on my 2020 MBP, it started showing an emoji icon on the far left. I think it started yesterday. I forgot how to customize it, but the thing is driving me nuts because as I type the happy face icon just blinks and blinks, it's super annoying and I need it gone. What WERE they thinking :avgnface:

It’s a new feature in Discord called “stickers”, basically super emoji that they want you to buy in sets for about $3.

e:oh you might be meaning the MBP Touch Bar itself in which case idk.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

lmfao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nitr0 posted:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nitr0 posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Data Graham posted:

Apple: "we literally do not want to know or even see any of your sensitive information, we will fight the law if we have to in order to avoid us having even the ability to read any of your encrypted data"

Customers: "I don't know something seems fishy about these guys"

Let’s not go that far. Apple is better than most on security but they still have issues.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don't they record every single application that you open on MacOS and phone home to Apple about it?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't they record every single application that you open on MacOS and phone home to Apple about it?

https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

no

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there still a way to turn off Spaces, and the behavior in which maximizing a window makes it full-screen in a new Space?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Haven't used macOS in a while since I moved to being one of those iPad as my computer types. I'm back on Big Sur and I'm pretty sure music.app notifications aren't working? I remember it notifying me on every single track change but now it only seems to work if I go backwards in a playlist? What's the deal here?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Let’s not go that far. Apple is better than most on security but they still have issues.
No one here said they're perfect or that their software is perfectly written - just that their GOAL is to not spy on you and do whatever they can to accomplish that. They've literally gone to court against the FBI to protect your privacy.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Nitr0 posted:

I think I have an anti authoritian mindset that I can't help. I hate people telling me what to do!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Skeezy posted:

Haven't used macOS in a while since I moved to being one of those iPad as my computer types. I'm back on Big Sur and I'm pretty sure music.app notifications aren't working? I remember it notifying me on every single track change but now it only seems to work if I go backwards in a playlist? What's the deal here?

Make sure "When song changes" notifications are turned on in Music's preferences. Mine pops up a new notification whenever a track changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there still a way to turn off Spaces, and the behavior in which maximizing a window makes it full-screen in a new Space?

And here I am lamenting that its not a full X11 implementation.

Question: Big Sur: Too Soon?