Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
13" MBP locked up (pinwheel of death) this morning when I got to work upon waking it from sleep. I rebooted and got the dreaded ? folder. I just got home from work and put the install CD that came with it in and now all it does is kernel panic when booting from the CD.

:suicide:

What now?

edit: Drive isn't detected in a 20" iMac, but is detected in a Windows 7 box. Unplugging the HDD and booting off the recovery CD works fine.

gently caress. Guess the HDD is dead.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone else play QuakeLive? For the love of god, is there any way to make it crash less? I played it fine for two days and now it crashes every single game.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't believe Spotify -requires- a facebook account to register. Wow, saving my 10bux a month right there.

Is there really no way around it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The problem is that I don't have a facebook anymore and I don't want to reactivate it or make a fake account.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How the hell do you install bootcamp without a dvd drive? I tried restoring the iso to a flash drive and boot camp assistant doesn't see it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress. :negative:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

~Coxy posted:

You can use the Parallels trial to do it from an image of the install DVD.

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

I guess I can try that tonight.

Mercurius posted:

I think rEFIt might allow you to boot from windows USB installation sticks: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Couldn't get that to work. Can I use virtualbox and give it raw disk access?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The optical going back in is what I dread because I already managed to damage the hard drive cable once just by bending it too much ( the only thing I can come up with ) so I'm paranoid now. Skyrim better be worth it and run decently on this 2010 13.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did you let it boot in the VM at all? I've used a VM to install the OS for machines without graphics output in the past but never anything but Linux or FreeBSD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Edit: Found a guide that I think will working, going to give it a try once I get out of this hell some people call the workplace.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 11, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ripburger posted:

I should have tried. All the stuff I was finding on Google and other forums were saying not to allow it to get past the first boot in the VM, lest Windows install the Virtual Box reference hardware drivers, and not the native MacBook Pro ones. Though I only tried this method with a GPT partition table, and not an MBR. Perhaps that's the key?

Ok, posting this from inside Windows 7. Didn't end up having to use a USB drive of any kind or swap my optical drive back in. I'll post the instructions, with a few edits by me, once I get it all up and running nicely.

edit: If anyone is curious...
2010 13" MBP w/ SSD & 8GB Ram WEI scores
Processor: 6.0
Memory: 6.0
Graphics: 5.3
Gaming Graphics: 6.1
Primary hard drive: 7.1
Overall: 5.3

Skyrim auto settings are Medium and it runs hilariously well.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 11, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D. Ebdrup posted:

Nice to see some WEI scores, what graphics card is in the 13" 2010 Medio? I have a nVidia GeForce GT330M 256MB and I'm wondering if I can't hope for a bit better scores (also have 8GB and a OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD)?
I don't know what a Medio is but I have a 256mb GT320M in my 2010 13" Pro.

So here is the deal on how I got Bootcamped Windows 7 up and running on a Macbook Pro with no optical drive or USB drive - all you need is a Windows 7 iso, which you can legally download from Microsoft. A bunch of this was retyped from memory based on a post by OzyCA at MacRumors so I take zero credit.

1. Create your bootcamp partition with Disk Utility - any size over 20ish GB and format it FAT, you don't need to mess with anything else at all.

2. Install rEFIt (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/refit/rEFIt-0.14.dmg?use_mirror=) and reboot TWICE.

3. Install Parallels Desktop 7 Trial and activate it with the trials serial number they email to you.

4. Create a new Parallels by choosing "Install Windows or Another OS from DVD or Image File", choose your ISO in the install disk dropdown, uncheck Express Installation, hit "Like a PC", hit "Customize settings before installlation", ignore the warning about disk size if you get it and hit customize.

5. Click CD/DVD on the left and set it to your iso file, click Boot Order on left and set the CD/DVD to be the first device, click Hard Disk 1 on the left and choose the drive with your bootcamp partition on it as the device, and finally close the settings window and hit continue.

6. Windows setup will boot, click through a few screens until it asks where you want Windows to be installed - choose your bootcamp partition, click drive options, and hit format. This will format it to NTFS. Now hit the X to leave the installer.

7. Instead of choosing install this time we're going to choose to Repair, then System Tools, and finally Command Prompt.

8. Type 'C:' then 'dir'. It should be empty. This is your bootcamp partition. Type 'D:' then 'dir'. This should be your Windows 7 iso and list all of the files on the iso. Type 'XCOPY D:\*.* C:\ /e/h'. This will copy your install DVD from the iso to the now-NTFS bootcamp partition, it might take a while depending on what drives you have in the system. Shut the system off after it's done.

9. While booting hold the option key to get into rEFIt and choose to boot from the Windows install on your bootcamp partition.

10. Go through the Windows install as if it were a normal Windows install, use your NTFS bootcamp partition as the install target. After you finally get into Windows after a few reboots (that seem like an abrupt power cut and something is wrong) you might want to go through and delete the Windows iso files from your C: drive and install all of the bootcamp goodies as usual.

gently caress, back to Skyrim, woot.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 12, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D. Ebdrup posted:

Actually that may all be moot. Have you guys bought those optibays and are running a mechanical hdd and a sdd? Why, if I may inquire?
My solution is an +600GB FW800/USB2-powered external harddisk if I have any need for lugging much data around (that I can't grab from my own cloud server, for whatever reason).
Yes, because my first SSD was a 60gb Corsair and it wasn't enough room. $13 bucks bought me an optical bay caddy to put my stock 250gb drive in. I don't have the money for a baller 200gb SSD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nah, watch pageouts. I'd go to more RAM if possible, but maybe it doesn't bother you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do you lose rEFIt upon moving to ML?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Petey posted:

It seems like most of the thread has switched over to ML. Has anyone not? If not, why not? And is there any good reason not to at this point?

Because I don't feel like spending $20bux on something that doesn't really add much in terms of daily usage.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want to move to a faster / higher resolution machine from my 2010 13" MBP - it's got 8GB, 115GB SSD, 500GB optibay but the slowness is setting in dealing with virtual machines. To keep it on a budget I'm probably going to end up with a Thinkpad rather than a used 15" MBP/Retina or 13" Air, now the question is - are there any Linux or Windows office applications that can interface with my iCloud documents? I work off two machines and it would loving suck to not have iCloud.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess I can do that - I just love how seamless iCloud with Pages and Numbers is. Ah well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it possible to have multiple time machine backups... but that aren't mirrored backups? IE. I want to back the main system/etc up to one drive and back up just a couple certain folders to another location.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Alright, how do I get rid of this piece of poo poo 3D dock and go back to 2D?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So... let me get this straight - there are no Samsung drivers for any of their printers under 10.9 yet? Ughhhhhh My ML-2525W won't work, even with the older drivers or as a network printer on a remote computer. gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

Depending on whether it uses PCL or PS for printing, just set it up as a generic PCL or PS printer until the drivers come out. I have to do that with a poo poo Ricoh MFP in my office at work since the idiots forgot to get the PS engine for the MFP and Ricoh doesn't do PCL drivers for OSX

:suicide:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

Is the new Mavericks dock annoying anyone else?

Yep, no 2D dock pisses me off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

shrughes posted:

You have the dock on the bottom??

Yes... :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

~Coxy posted:

Is it no 2D dock on the sides, or no 2D dock anywhere?

That would be a real shame on the level of the translucent menu bar debacle as I have always used the 2D dock. Hopefully some third party will step up to the challenge and release a fix soon.

No 2D dock on the bottom - sides are 2D.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone else noticed that the new iWork default save location isn't iCloud? How do you change it to be iCloud by default?

Also, my current work-around for using a Samsung printer on my Macs is leaving my Win7 VM running all the time, dumping files that need to be printed into a shared folder that is watched and automatically prints new files placed into it. :lol: $free

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 15, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a way to get a more Windows like mouse acceleration curve for when you're gaming? OSX fucks with my aim in CS:GO.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've started having a problem lately - every time I write a sh file it ends up having the wrong line endings after I upload it to my Linux box via FTP so I get this when I try and run it:
code:
x@x ~/xxx $ ./update_rrd_db.sh 
-bash: ./update_rrd_db.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
when I change the file mode to unix in vim it runs fine, and when I copy the file back across FTP and right back it works fine, until I edit it in Brackets or Sublime Text, then it somehow gets the carrage return back in the file. Wtf? I haven't changed anything in my setup anywhere and I haven't changed programs/ftp settings/etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Replying to myself, it turns out that somehow Filezilla started treating files ending in .sh as ASCII transfers, rather than binary. Because of this it was adding CR before the LF at the end of lines. How this happened... I have no idea. I didn't change any Filezilla settings other than moving to Active mode, which was months ago.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Servers involved are all under my control and nothing has changed. It is a mystery.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
;) I wonder what actually did it, ah well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love SizeUp and paid for it but is there a window manager that allows for more diverse screen sectioning?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

japtor posted:

Moom? I’m not sure it can move windows between spaces yet (but looks like it saves multi space layouts?) but it can do everything else SizeUp can do (at least what I saw from their video).

For sectioning you can divide your screen up into x and y number of units along with the usual half and quads. Like I use 8x5 (for squares on my 16:10 screen, but any ratio is fine), you can have just a few or a crapload if you want to get really granular.

That looks pretty good - I'm not worried about spaces since I don't use them, just dual monitors. The units thing is what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone using Jetbrains WebStorm? Curious if it works alright on the M1