Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I can't figure out some font issues I'm seeing. They happened in Snow Leopard too, and I tried an upgrade to Lion to see if that'd fix the problem but it hasn't. Basically, Helvetica is completely messed up. If you see the attached screenshot, this is the Calendars button on the top left of the iCal window on two computers. The left is the messed up one, the right looks fine. These were taken at the same resolution and the same font size. I've tried validating fonts, clearing out duplicates, and so on, with no success. The only app installed I can think of that messes with fonts is Office 2011, but I can only blame it for so much.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to avoid a full-blown reinstall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

x-virge posted:

On Lion, my Helvetica is: /System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont with unique name: Helvetica; 7.0d20e1; 2011-04-05

Yup, that matches up nicely with what I have, and it still looks messed. Thanks for checking.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TACD posted:

Do you have anything in ~/Library/Fonts? If so try deleting them or just rename the Fonts folder and logout/login, that'd be my first thing to try.

Deleted a couple fonts that I didn't recognize and restarted. Still busted. Then for shits I replaced /Library/Fonts with the contents of same from a Lion install that isn't suffering from this issue. Still no go.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Kinda wish I could re-order desktops and full screen apps in launchpad by dragging. Seems like an obvious thing that should be doable but its not there.

Assuming you mean Mission Control (I confuse them all the time too)...

e: could've sworn that option enabled that, but it definitely doesn't. I'm sorry!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TACD posted:

That sucks. You do have font smoothing turned on, right? Otherwise, I don't know :(

Yeah I toggled it a couple times and didn't see a change. It was on when I started.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Daveh posted:

This should do the trick:

For what it's worth, you can hit space after hitting cmd-shift-4 to toggle between "drag a rectangle" mode and "select a window" mode for screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Xandu posted:

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the only way to fix that is to backup your files and do a clean install.

It's probably one minor messed up file or setting, but one that will take forever to find if you don't get lucky.

I ended up doing this. I tried Migration Assistant just for fun, selectively limiting what got migrated, but couldn't make the issue go away. So it definitely seems tied to the user account (if I wasn't happy just to be done, I'd make a new account and try it). Anyway it's fixed so gently caress it. Thanks for the help.