Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
So I was in such a rush to install Lion that I didn't make myself a copy from the installer. Is there a way to do this after you're on Lion? Re-downloading from the App Store doesn't work because it says I have a newer version already downloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

zergstain posted:

Is it possible to burn a DVD after running the install? I thought making a boot disc was officially supported, so I ran through the process expecting to see some option somewhere. When I didn't see it, I searched Google. Everything I found said to go into the "Install Mac OS X Lion" package, but after installing, it seems to have deleted itself.

I wondered the same thing. Anyone know?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Download it again?

No dice.

http://cl.ly/181d011m0M3G3t3u050n

It won't let me click it.

TheState fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 20, 2011

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

penga86 posted:

Redownloading for us tards that already installed

Go to the purchased tab in app store, hold down option and click on the osx lion button, and 'buy' it again. it will redownload after you put in your Apple ID (it will say hey you already bought this do you wanna redownload?)

Beautiful, thanks.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Stupid question: is there a gesture for Cmd + Tab from app to app?

Do you mean something like Cmd + ` ?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

I did it last night. Fusion freaked out when I tried to run my bootcamp partition in a VM the first time but I just removed that partition from fusion then readded and it was fine.

No, I mean like Alt + Tab in windows. Just replace alt with cmd and it let's me move from app to app. No gestures for that eh?

Oh, gestures. Sorry. Thought you meant keystrokes. I'm stupid.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Footboy posted:

One of the big reasons I upgraded to Lion was the enhanced trackpad support, but I'm not seeing any of it.

:confused:

Are you on a really old Mac that doesn't support multitouch?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Is there any reason that this "Keyboard and Characters viewer" icon would spontaneously appear in my menu bar?

edit: when I unchecked the box to display it, a US flag popped up in its place for language & text preferences. wtf?

Have you held down a key to use special characters? è, for instance? the first time I did it, I got the menu item. Haven't gotten it since.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

In Lion using Safari, Adium, the Twitter app and Spotify, the Web Process process was taking over 1.25 GB of RAM. I wasn't doing anything extravagant, two tabs in Safari. Is this happening to anyone else?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

decypher posted:

Seriously? Can we put questions like this to bed, forever. It is pointless.

Why is this pointless?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

unruly posted:

I think it's because of the appearance of high memory usage, where some of that may be unreleased RAM that, if needed, would be reclaimed by the system. Further, the process model for Safari has changed to be more like Chrome -- incurring a larger memory footprint due to having to have a full process amount of RAM allocated per tab.

Memory usage really is one of those issues that should come down to a non-issue these days. RAM is cheap and plentiful, and the systems in place are largely managing it better than any user can/could -- especially with caching and this new process management system going on.

Plus, really? Is it every year that a new browser version comes out and someone has to raise the RAM usage question like it's still a serious problem? Most of the time it has to do with loaded plugins, extensions, page elements and all sorts of other poo poo that really can't be reproduced on any other machine. It's all anecdotal.

Thanks for the first part of your answer, and I realize that it's all anecdotal, but this is a machine I don't have control over getting upgrades for, so RAM being cheap and plentiful means jack poo poo for me. All I know is that my computer crawled to a halt for no obvious (to me, I'm just looking at system monitor because I don't know what else to look at) reason beyond two tabs in Safari and a few other apps that aren't really doing a whole bunch.

It's a new OS and I was wondering if there were similar experiences. Don't answer the question if you guys don't want to. We're not all as well versed in RAM reclamation, so yeah, it's a question that's going to come up.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

unruly posted:

Sorry, I guess there was some pent up passive-aggressivness in that answer, having given it more times than I'd care to remember. :)

So, I do understand your plight, it's not an easy one to solve. On RAM starved machines, you might have a point where reclamation might not happen often enough or grab enough to quench the thirst.

Like you said, too, that Lion introduces a lot of new components (especially new process management) and they may not have hammered out all the problems with lower end machines, or machines who are under spec'd for their roles. Hopefully a round of patches will start smoothing out the raw edges of the system and get this boat back into the stable-ish territory that was Snow Leopard.

No worries, thanks again for the answer.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

TACD posted:

I just realised I never asked this: Is everybody getting this (presumably buggy) behaviour in the new Mail where both read and unread messages appear in bold? The blue dot still indicates which are unread but I find it very difficult to pick out unread messages at a glance now. The options for 'message list font' and 'Display unread messages with bold font' seem to do absolutely nothing.

Going back to the Classic interface fixes it but I'd rather move forward and try out all the new stuff if possible.

Yeah, I don't think that's a bug. I just guessed it was how things are now. The blue dot is definitely enough for me, but I can see how others might not like it.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Petey posted:

gently caress, Lions permissions are all hosed up. Look what happens when I try to change my preferences in Mail:

I'd been noticing that some things seemed to revert back all of the time (last session in Safari, whether or not OmniBar was installed, etc), but now I can't even save some things without it freaking out, and I can't move/edit folders in my own home directory without entering in my admin username and password.

Tried Repair Permissions; tried Cmd-I my home directory and making sure the owner was set to me (and all folders below it too). Nothing. Can't even open iWork applications now.

Googling around, this appears to be a known issue affecting users who did a clean install and didn't use Migration Assistant to pull over their old files, just copied them manually.

But yeah, it's now gone from "annoying" to "unusable.

I'm currently decrypting FileVault2 so I can try to boot from the recovery partition and try the "Reset my Password" trick, which apparently nukes all of your permissions and resets them to what they need to be. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll clean-install and try a migration from my Lion Time Machine. And if that doesn't work...well, gently caress.

Goddammit.

I've complained about some things in Lion, but you must have had the worst install in history. I'm not having nearly the same amount of issues as you seem to be having.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

I'm running Lion on my 2008 Mac Pro, which has an SSD for the OS drive and a separate HDD for the user accounts. I created a new user account for my girlfriend, then copied it to the HDD and changed the path in the User Account pref pane. When she logs in, no apps will launch. They'll open for a second and then close. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

mayodreams posted:

Try repairing the permissions on both drives. This reeks of a permissions issue.

I did that and it didn't work. What DID work, however, was deleting the account, setting it up again, logging in to the account, copying the user folder into the new drive and doing the home folder path change in Prefs from that user's account. I figured I could do it all from the admin account, but that was not the case.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Two questions: does anyone know if Omni Group's software goes on sale ever? I was looking at OmniPlan, but holy poo poo, $200.

Second question: anyone else having an issue in Lion where your bluetooth mouse isn't recognized on startup? When that account screen shows up, I have to use a USB mouse to click the account and then I can use my bluetooth mouse after I log in.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

Are you using FileVault? I notice this with FileVault enabled (because the login happens before the OS is loaded), but with it turned off, no trouble with my magic trackpad. I can't remember the last time OmniGroup had a sale.

I am using FileVault. That's really weird.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

mayodreams posted:

You can use the arrow keys and enter to select the account on the login screen. Or, you could switch the login screen to a user name prompt and just tab between the fields. I prefer the latter because its harder for someone to 'hack' into my laptop if they dont even know where to start on username.

Mine won't let me use the arrow keys, either. I definitely tried when my mouse didn't work.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

We just bought a new MacBook Pro at work from the Apple Store today. It came with Snow Leopard and not Lion. Are they not shipping with that yet or what?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

vlack posted:

If they didn't do it for you in-store, you might have to call Apple support and give them your order number; they'll give you a redemption code for Lion.

That's what I had to do for a client a few weeks ago, anyway.

Thanks guys.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

I fully expect the answer to be "don't use Safari," but after the latest update in Lion, I've noticed that every so often it becomes impossible to highlight text after switching tabs. It won't fix itself unless I restart. Is anyone else experiencing this?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

The only one I have on here is 1Password. And like I said, it's totally random. It works like 90% of the time and then it will just... not. Weird. I thought it was just my MacBook Air, but it happened on the Mac Pro earlier. It has to be 1Password, I guess.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Quick question. Let's say I broke up with my girlfriend (I did) and I want to get pictures of us out of my iPhoto library, but not delete them forever (I do).

Is there an easy way to do that, or does removing an image from the library destroy it?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

Drag the photos to something in Finder, then delete the photos and empty iPhoto's trash.

That's so easy even I could do it! Thanks.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Honest to gently caress, I'd love to understand what it is about ECC RAM and Xeons that makes people stick to their 5-years-discontinued Mac Pros. I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

I'm talking to a reseller around here about doing just this. I love my Mac Pro, but it isn't long for this earth as far as new OS versions are concerned.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

I'm sure this is a simple question to answer, but I'm having a hard time phrasing it as a query for Google.

When I restart my computer, the volume level goes waaaaay the gently caress up nearly to the top instead of staying at the level I left it at before it was shut down. Anybody know of a way to fix that? Drives me nuts.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Hm, that didn't seem to work.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

It might have something to do with FileVault, since when I restarted I got an [Update Needed] in place of my username on the grey screen. I'm trying something I read in the support forums. We'll see.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Am I the only person happy with Mail.app?

I mean, it does what I want.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

I'm downloading it right now. You might want to quit the App Store and try again.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Also, I'm a little sad that this is the last OS my poor old 2008 Mac Pro will ever get.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

DropShadow posted:

This Hidden Files widget and iStat Pro are the only two widgets I keep around. iStat Pro really only for remembering how long it has been since I've restarted my machine.

Ha. except you can't download it because it was hosted on MobileMe.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

DropShadow posted:

Sorry about that, didn't even check. That's why I keep a folder in my Dropbox account of useful stuff I always install on new machines. Here's the widget in case anyone wants it: http://ge.tt/9RI1zAL

Thanks! That's pretty useful. I had built it in as a service previously, but this is nice.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

I thought I read in here that Mountain Lion removed the "time remaining" part of the battery meter. I still see it.

http://db.tt/O6HC5vzy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

You can't set it as the default view. You can only toggle percentage on and off.

Ah, got it.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Jeez, the update is projected to take 8 hours to download. I'm pulling 23 mb/s down, so it has to be Apple's servers.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Any recommendations for a skitch replacement other than snagit?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't just use the built in screen shot shortcuts?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Ok, so I have a Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. It has four hard drives. I have FileVault turned on for the startup drive, but I don't see an option to turn it on for the other three. Is there a way to do that, or do I need to get an encrypting software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Abjad Soup posted:

You might be looking for ctrl-shift-eject then, which turns the display (and keyboard backlight) off and turns on the breathing light to full. Basically just puts your display to sleep right away the same as if you'd let the computer idle for the X minutes set in the Energy Saver pref pane.

This also doesn't work with Airs, correct? Because there's no eject button.