Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Why after upgrading to ML does my year old* 2008 macbook pro battery need to be serviced?
edit: been running on battery for 45 minutes now, and it says 3 hours left.

*I purchased a replacement battery from apple some time in 2011.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
So far on a late 2013 MBP:

The drivers for my Logitech mouse (MX Anywhere 2) let me either have a middle click or a scroll wheel; but not both. Sometimes the back and forward buttons work like the middle button, sometimes they do nothing. :iiam:
If I log out then in again, or reboot the USB keyboard isn't detected until it gets reconnected.
Wifi, or any networking really takes a good minute or so after logging in before it even turns on.

After the update playing any music on my iPhone goes for 2-3 songs and just stops, this wasn't a problem before Catalina. edit: This seems to have fixed itself now, yay?
Thinking that maybe it's a library problem? I moved the iTunesMusic library onto an external drive, and reset location to ~/Music/Music/Media, apparently now I don't have enough storage space to consolidate the library back to the main drive?

:psyduck:

More edits since I just remembered it: It turns out that I had about 160GB of email drafts which weren't being purged because Mail.app and Gmail accounts disagree on how to deal with them, so ten years worth of messages/attachments adds up to a lot. After clearing them out and changing some settings so it shouldn't happen again (set the draft folder to local rather than the IMAP folder), I noticed that disk usage and free space aren't updating on the desktop icon unless you log out/reboot, but the cmd+I and file inspector windows show the correct information.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 11, 2019

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'm so over literally everything in this (P)OS being broken in new and hilarious ways, so I'm going back to Mojave. Hopefully, my TM backup still works.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I agree with tightening up the security, but don’t think it was necessary for the system to swing between the extremes of either overbearingly prompting you to allow things to work, or just failing silently.
In a lot of the cases I’ve had of stuff not working eg. the mouse wheel and side buttons, you can see the events being raised by the hardware in the console logs, but then getting denied by the system, this is despite the Logitech apps being allowed access in the security preferences, and without any clear idea of how to fix it because it isn’t raising a prompt.

Anyway, Mojave has been reinstalled and I’m now restoring from last weeks TM backup, only ~8 hours left :negative:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
gently caress me for opening the reminders app on my iPhone I guess.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I hope you've got a second backup!

When I rolled back to Mojave I had to restore from my secondary USB drive TM, the main one on a Qnap NAS wouldn't connect until after the restoration had completed and even then, it would only start a new one. The old backup appears to have been altered by Catalina so that it only works on that.

As an added bonus, now the old backup is just sort of sitting on the NAS taking up space, and I'd rather not delete it just in case.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 24, 2019

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Having multiple backups is better?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is there another way to block the Catalina update? The terminal command no longer seems to work.

code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

Ignored updates:
(
    "macOS Catalina"
)

Ignoring software updates is deprecated.
The ability to ignore individual updates will be removed in a future release of macOS.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Unless there’s something else to signify failure, that output did not signify that it doesn’t work, just that it is no longer supported and will break in the future.

Yes I agree, however:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I know I shouldn’t get the first gen but I’m feeling mighty tempted by that arm Mac Mini.

Not sure if I should get one of those, or the intel one which has been sitting in my cart for the last month while those are still available.

edit: According to the store the M1's max out at 16GB RAM, while intel supports 64GB, so that makes that decision easy.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 10, 2020

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Alt/Option click on the green button selects between fullscreen and zoom.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The only reason I'm still using a 2013 is that the 16" MBP hasn't been updated yet.

It still works fine for the things I use it for, but every day around 4:30-5pm the fans turn into jet engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
cmd+opt click