Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I was another one of those is this a really early April's fools joke when I saw the articles but when I actually read the Verge one I was pretty happy it wasn't a joke. Funny cause I remember telling my friend AirPlay would own if it was on the laptops. May have to finally get an apple tv and stop waiting for them to come out with an A5 update.

I would hold out for a bit longer, the aTV might be refreshed shortly, possibly with 1080p support, which you'd probably want with mirroring a computer display. Or at least wait until it works on the developer preview in case it's not all that great. (but apple tv is awesome right now anyway, so whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
According to that page:

quote:

That’s right, we’ve added optimizations for iOS 5 and Lion: support for iOS playlists, a new video player and much, much more. AirPlay mirroring, however, is not supported.

It might change in the future though, but I think they've been having trouble with mirroring (bananatv/airparrot) so maybe it'll be easier with mountain lion.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
What is the best way to set up a custom refresh rate in OSX Lion? I bought a 2560x1440 monitor that some people have been able to run at 95hz- On the monitor I am using right now, it only offers me 60hz 75hz(greyed out).

I'd prefer a free program or terminal command/plist edit but haven't been having very much luck with finding things.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I used to recommend the HP LaserJet 1012, which used to go for $180-200 new. .

I have this printer and a single toner lasted me through 4 years of school and other printing needs. Bought a replacement toner off of Amazon for like $25. It was the best printer purchase ever.

E:except when vista came out and there were no drivers for like 10 months. That kind of sucked.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

taste posted:

I haven't downloaded the beta but doesn't Photoshop CS6 edit videos now too? I'm guessing that if you're just editing photos, it should run alright. Right?

It's just basic video editing-- Lightroom 4 can do it as well, and it runs fine on my macbook air.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'm pretty glad that having Xcode installed immunized me against this sort of thing, even though I doubt I would have gotten it anyway.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Th--that's awesome :stare:

People were speculating that it was 1) to avoid themselves from being infected and 2) to avoid users who would actually notice something suspicious.

Either way, pretty nifty.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

TremorX posted:

I hate to bring up Flashback again, but... Java for OS X 2012-003 is out today, and apparently removed it from my system.

What happened ? I ran the update and haven't seen anything pop up either way.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Yes, the update notes mentioned that Flashback would be removed if detected. That doesn't mean that is was; the update was installed regardless of whether you were actually infected because it also closed the vulnerability.

edit for clarity:
The update both patches the exploit and removes Flashback if it is found. The question is whether a user is notified if Flashback is detected and removed, or if the update just does all of its work silently.

Browsing the thread on macrumors it looks like there is some notification if it's been found and cleaned, but nobody posted a screenshot of it

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of designers and architects and stuff have to do things in caps.

Dont they use small caps though? The font setting where things are all capital, but if you use shift its larger than without?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

8ender posted:

i really appreciate that the dropbox menubar icon has a black and white option

How about that, it does-- thanks a lot for letting me know about it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

The program is now active:

https://uptodate.apple.com/UtdPrepareAction.action

Don't forget to apply as soon as you can, before you forget!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Feenix posted:

Speaking of, they sure are playing it close with the launch info. We're in the last week of July and there's no mention (right?) of when you can get ML.

It's going to be announced during their earnings call tomorrow afternoon and available Wednesday-- the same thing happened with Lion.

e: vv You are correct, mea culpa.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 23, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

This is the most disappointing feature of the new OS. I was pumped to be able to stream football games to my aTV, but apparently my 2010 MBP isn't good enough for them.

Whatever, I bought AirParrot. gently caress Apple for not making that feature available to more of their install base.

It's because it uses Intel Quicksync in the Sandy bridge architecture to encode the video. Hardware encoding is much more efficient which leads to better frame rates and lower stress on the system. It sucks that they don't allow a software encoding scheme for systems which can't take advantage of it, but luckily there are software solutions available.

Apple holds off features on a lot of things in order to try to entice people to upgrade-- this one was a legitimate reason for holding it off (Based on how airparrot works with my 2011 MBA and how lovely the frame rates are)-- my iPhone 4 literally pushes video more smoothly.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Anybody else having trouble with Airplay not showing in the top menu "Display" bar? I have to actually go into the display pref panel to enable/disable it.

e: Nevermind- rebooting again made it show up.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 25, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

What the deal with putting gatekeeper? Is it active by default or the users just cram it to the max and proceed to cripple themselves?

I am doing the second one-- for unsigned apps you can hold down control and click "Open" to bypass security restraints manually.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
2011 macbook air no problems with it in ML on Safari 6.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Macs have had realtime h.264 hardware accelerated decoding since the nVidia 9400M and OS X 10.6.1, as nVidia advertised that as a major feature of the 9400M chipset.

And, lo and behold, what a coincidence: the earliest MacBooks, MacBook Airs, and Mac Minis that Mountain Lion will support JUST happen to have 9400Ms. Same goes for iMac Mid 2007s, they started with ATI Radeon HD 2400s and 2600s which have ATI's Avivo built in, their standard for h.264 hardware decoding.

Edit: Just to complete the list, Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pros had the infamous nVidia 8600GT which while many turned out to be defective, the chip itself did have h.264 hardware acceleration; Mac Pro Early 2008s had ATI Radeon 2600XTs and nVidia 8800GTs which had h.264 hardware acceleration, and the Xserve 2009's nVidia GT120 also had it.

It's the intel quick sync that's used for mirroring.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

scottus posted:

I was pretty excited for Airplay Mirroring to the Apple TV in the living room, but my Apple TV isn't showing up as a detected device. Do I have to have a certain minimum generation of ATV:

I use ATV gen2. Mae sure it's fully updated and reboot the laptop and ATV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sith Happens posted:

I'm amazed they pushed out this update at the same time as iOS6. They must really want to test the limits of their data centers, because they're bound to be getting hammered right now.

May as well give it a good push now before Friday comes around and we get 6 million phones all trying to activate at 10am, 3pm and 6pm.