Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Lexicon posted:

Maybe they are intentionally vague on implementation details, but I don't understand how this works.
It appears to just modify the firewall rules, HOSTS file and a few other things to block stuff, then schedule a task to revert the changes at the desired time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I got a redeem code - 'This code has already been used. Each code may be used once'.

:(
I got the same thing. I wonder if they're sending the same code to everyone or something.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Begins with a 7 and ends with a 4?
No, so I guess it must be something weirder going on. I guess I could just download it from the developer site...

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Baggot posted:

I am also still waiting for my Up-to-Date redemption code. It's been just about 24 hours now. Come on, Apple!!

They just sent me a fourth one. On a whim I used the third one (with ML already installed) and it downloaded OS X Server.

The Up-to-Date program should be really simple so I'm not sure how they've managed to screw it up this much.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is the dashboard actually useful though? I rarely hear about anyone using it.
I spent a while trying to find widgets that would make the dashboard useful for anything and failed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Notification Center is literally the only new ML feature I've actually noticed, and I like Growl slightly better than it, so I've personally found ML to be a (very minor) downgrade from Lion.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

How would you possibly consider it a downgrade? You can still install Growl...

Also: http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html
I still have Growl installed, but unless there's a reverse-Hiss I can't make programs use it instead of Notifications Center.

I've seen the list of new features. They're a mix of improvements to bundled programs I don't use and incredibly minor things I can't bring myself to care about.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Terpfen posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen such ferocious protection of $20.
$0, but contrary to what you seem to think I am not angry that Apple released an OS upgrade that does not benefit me; I was merely trying to answer the guy asking if there was any reason not to upgrade.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Polymerized Cum posted:

When speaking of MP3s, are bitrate and size a linear relationship?
Bitrate is just size divided by time, and recompressing your music will hopefully not involve changing the playback length, so...

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Tax laws change every year, so anything involving taxes needs to be updated at least that often. In general you should just pretend that any software which does tax-related things is on a subscription model. Even if a particular product gives free updates at the moment, it's unlikely to forever simply due to how much it ends up costing to keep up with tax code changes.

If you aren't using QB for tax stuff, you probably don't need to update it on a regular basis (but I am not an accountant and there may be other important things that change which I am not aware of).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

That page has just shy of 200 MB of gifs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Onslaught posted:

One fix suggests doing this:

I know nothing about Terminal, is that safe? If so, I'll try it.
Yes. The lock file is simply an empty file that's created when an installation is started and deleted when it completes or fails. If there's actually an installation in progress then deleting it and running another installer may not be safe, but rebooting ensures that isn't the case.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Or like most people, they just don't give a gently caress about Java in the browser

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Richman777 posted:

Any general consensus on the stability of Mavericks with release 3? I have a developer account and am a developer but I don't really need any of the new features for it or anything. More just curious.
No one that I've talked to that's running it has regretted upgrading to it. I'm currently planning to switch my main machine over to it when the next release comes out.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

What's the point of having 60mbps with a 150gb cap? You could burn through it in hours.

Why does that matter? Do you actually have such a huge queue of poo poo to download that your connection speed is the limiting factor on how much bandwidth you use each month?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Stock Terminal can't copy on select, but at least Command-C is less awkward than Ctrl-Shift-C.

Ctrl-F/B page up and down correctly in most programs, including vim and man.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

ijyt posted:

What was there to really unify in 2004? Right now there's a huge disparity when it comes to iOS 7 and OS X.

There's been a huge disparity between OS X and OS X for a very long time.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Nuntius posted:

Both these things are 10.8 not 10.9 features

10.7 for the About This Mac window (I happened to just look at that a few minutes ago in a 10.7 VM).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

The parallels people email me like every day to upgrade from 8 to 9. I'm struggling to find a good reason.

Anyone have any compelling arguments for Parallels 9 vs 8? The company kind of annoys me. I understand building a continuing revenue stream but there's a point in time that they decide they won't fix poo poo in the current version and the new one isn't even out yet...

Also I feel like they should fix prior versions and give people better reasons to upgrade to the new one.. not just "Upgrade to Parallels 9 because we fixed bugs we released int he prior version!"

I went from 7 to 9 and AFAICT it wasn't an improvement in any way other than that 7 doesn't support 10.9.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Big City Drinkin posted:

Can anyone explain why my computer is using swap? What you see has basically been my workload since rebooting the computer about a day and a half ago. I've never seen the "memory used" go over 5 GB, so I can't understand why swap would ever need to be used unless there's something basic I don't understand about how Mavericks manages memory.

This is on a 2013 MBA.

Why are you concerned about 76 MB?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

crazysim posted:

They also benefit from letting developers be able to target only the latest version of OS X and not have to put off their enjoyment of the latest bells and whistles.

Even just targeting older versions of OS X when you aren't using any of the new features is a pain. The only entirely reliable way is to continue to use the older SDKs, which can only be obtained by installing old versions of Xcode.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Man, when is Google going to write a 64-bit Chrome on Mac?
Probably sometime around when there becomes a good reason to do so. It'd mostly just make Chrome's memory usage even more ridiculous.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

BobHoward posted:

This isn't going to sound real helpful but step 1 is "file a bug report" and step 2 is "wait, and hope".

step 2 is more of "bug report closed as duplicate of something you can't see"

Apple has done a good job of training me to not bother reporting bugs in beta products.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The dev center explicitly says 3.0.1 is for Mavericks.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Not really over time. It took me at most a week from when I got my rMBP to go from loving my U2410 to hating it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

horse mans posted:

This is going to be the strangest question ever, but: is it possible to remap the right Shift key to... the left Shift key? The Logitech K760 has some kind of issue where left poo poo behaves strangely when using Cmd-Tab, but it works just fine with the right shift key.
This is almost certainly a hardware limitation (really lovely rollover), so it's not fixable in software.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

XtraFinder has an option for that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Tippis posted:

I suppose. It's just that it boggles my mind how close some of them has gotten to TC and then tripped over some small (but crucial) detail. It's obvious what they're trying to do, but also obvious that they haven't succeeded. Forklift is definitely a contender — had I started there and then gone over to TC at some point in time, I would have been pleased as Punch.
Same general problem as vim plugins have. There's 5000 important bits, but any given person only cares about 100 of them, so even after implementing everything the author personally cares about and everything that people have asked for, there's enough missing that any new user will still run into something they care greatly about that hasn't been implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Are there any third-party UIs for restoring things from Time Machine that are less terrible?