Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Is anyone else using the Performance MX mouse?

I had it set up to open Expose with the lower thumb button through the Logitech Control Center, but now it's not working (probably because it's Mission Control).

Does anyone know how I could fix this, or do I have to wait for a Logitech update?

I literally just came to ask the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Is there some secret I'm missing to get the dock to show up when I'm in a fullscreen app? Sometimes it'll show up when I move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, but it works so rarely that I almost think it isn't supposed to appear.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Reposting this question in case anyone missed it since it was at the end of a page and this thread is moving pretty fast.

Diabolik900 posted:

Is there some secret I'm missing to get the dock to show up when I'm in a fullscreen app? Sometimes it'll show up when I move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, but it works so rarely that I almost think it isn't supposed to appear.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

Hmmm... I'm not entirely getting the launchpad love.

Hitting Command + Spacebar seems to work much better.

I don't know where you're seeing all this love. Most people here seem to not like it.

It's really not a feature meant for advanced users, which I'm pretty sure we would all qualify as. It's a great feature for novice users though. It makes things a lot easier for them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

I thought it was insane to drop $57 on a text editing program, but I'm really close too now. I'm trying out the TextMate trial and it make's web development so much easier. I wish it was in the Mac App Store so I can use my $100 gift card I got from the student Mac purchase.
I've heard great things about TextMate, but keep in mind it hasn't been updated in YEARS. They've said they've been working on version 2.0 for a long time, but nothing's ever come from it. I don't think this is a good time to buy it at all.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've found one unexpected benefit to Lion (or maybe it's technically from the iTunes update) that I absolutely love:

My iTunes library is stored on a large external hard drive. When I was on Snow Leopard, iTunes would freeze for a couple seconds every time I hit "OK" or "Next" after updating metadata. Now it's stopped doing that. It will update instantly without freezing.

I had always just assumed this was the price I paid for not keeping my library on an internal drive, but I guess there might have been something messed up specifically on my system. Either way, it's working much much smoother now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gentle Marmot posted:

Some icons show an x on them I can click to remove them, while others dont....

This launchpad is very clunky and not well done, pretty surprising coming from apple I dont have this much trouble with anything else.
It's apps from the app store that have the X. It doesn't just remove them from Launchpad, it uninstalls them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well, it's happened to me. I just got into work and was confused for a few seconds about why my Windows PC's scroll wheel was working backwards all of a sudden.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iTunes updates are generally announced at Apple's September event. I wouldn't be shocked if the next version allows you to stream your music. Apple clearly showed today with both TV shows and the web apps that there are components of iCloud beyond what was mentioned at WWDC.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, the real difference is that with the old style you were moving the scroll thumb, but with the new way you're moving the page. I really don't think the old way is any more natural, but it's been ingrained in our muscle memory over years and years. You just have to learn to think about it differently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ndrake posted:

This is on a new macbook air that came with lion. The wifi bug is pretty widely described - basically when you wake the computer it sucks at finding a known connection and you often have to choose it yourself.

I did see this once, but it never occurred to me that it was a Lion bug since it had worked fine every time before and since then.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Hmm, my adium is choking on jabber/google talk all of a sudden. It's show me all that code and formatting and stuff like so:

Any ideas?
I can't help you but I can say that I've seem that too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

I've been using KeePass 2.16 for my password management. I primarily use Windows and Android, which the KeePass apps work wonderfully on. Unfortunately I went to set it up on my Mac Mini and... well the mono support is poo poo. It took me long enough to get mono installed and working on the Mac Mini, and it crashed a few times once I did.

Does anyone know if there's a good Mac port of KeePass that works with the 2.0 keychain file? If not... are there any good FOSS and actually multi-platform keychain systems? I was looking at 1Password but $50 for cross-platform support seems kind of steep, and it kind of worries me that I'd be sealing away all my passwords in a closed source system. I DO like the neat web-based feature that 1password has though.

Keep in mind that I don't have any experience with other password managers, but I just started using 1Password about a month-and-a-half ago, and I think it was 100% worth the $50. I couldn't be happier with it so far.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jeratain posted:

@chimz - I tried clicking and holding and it doesn't allow me to do anything with the icon (like SWSP said, it's just for App Store apps).
@SWSP - That's the weird thing: it wont actually show me any files in Spotlight. When I open the applications folder the file isn't there. It's only appearing in Launchpad.

EDIT: Okay this is odd. So I decided to just uninstall Skype. This left the .Skype_Upgrade icon in Launchpad but removed the main Skype icon. I then tried clicking and holding the icon, and now it shows a little X that allowed me to delete it. It did not allow this when Skype was still installed!
I know I'm late because you already solved your problem, but this could help if it ever comes up again. You can install Launchpad-Control: http://chaosspace.de/launchpad-control/ which will allow you to remove items from Launchpad without deleting them from your machine. It has definitely made Launchpad more useful for me.

EDIT: This seemed to work well at first, but everything I hid has just been re-added every time I restart my computer. Hopefully this will get fixed in a future update, but for now I can't really recommend this anymore.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 2, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Just got a new air and I noticed my battery life took a hit after installing flash. There are some sites I obviously need it for but is there a way to control it or are there proper settings I should be looking into to make sure it's not hogging the battery?
I just go with the Gruber method of uninstalling it and using Chrome when you really really need it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I know I'm late because you already solved your problem, but this could help if it ever comes up again. You can install Launchpad-Control: http://chaosspace.de/launchpad-control/ which will allow you to remove items from Launchpad without deleting them from your machine. It has definitely made Launchpad more useful for me.

I'm quoting my own post from a few days ago so that I can retract my recommendation. This seemed to work well at first, but everything I hid has just been re-added every time I restart my computer. Hopefully this will get fixed in a future update, but for now I can't really recommend this anymore.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nobody cared the two times I posted about Launchpad-Control, now somebody else brings it up and it's getting all this attention. :(

The problem I've had with it is that everything I hide just reappears whenever I restart my computer.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Also, don't call it the Fruit Stand. :)

This is good advice for anybody.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, you have to pay again. Their spin on it is that you're basically paying early (and at a discount) for version 4 since it will be a free upgrade if you buy this version. That sounds somewhat reasonable, but I do wish I had held off a little longer considering I just bought it about a month ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

1password looks like a really good idea, but I don't understand why an app that could be marketed to basically every computer user is that expensive.

Because it's worth the price?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to delete photos from the photo stream yet?

I'm one of those people who takes a dozen photos of something then deletes 10 of them.

No they haven't changed the service in the huge amount of time since it launched.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

echobucket posted:

Not Eligible This means it was either a video file (like a Music video) or some other kind of file that Apple has decided isn't eligible for iTunes match

To expand on this a little bit, there seems to be a minimum bit rate which a song needs to be encoded at for iTunes Match to even try to do anything with it. I had several songs show up as "Not Eligible", but once I re-encoded them at a higher bit-rate they worked fine and were either matched or uploaded.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

For anyone who's signed up for iTunes Match, I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the reviews (although maybe I missed it or am reading the wrong ones): Does it just match the music in your library when you sign up and it does the first scan, or does it continue matching new stuff added to your library?

If I sign up and let it match my library today, then add a track next week from the Amazon MP3 store or something, is that track also matched?
Whenever you add a new track it will scan and match it automatically within a few minutes, or you can right-click and choose "Add to iCloud".

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I like "natural scrolling" so much I had to install some hacky thing to get it on my Windows PC at work. It makes perfect sense when you understand that you're moving the contents of the window, not the scroll thumb.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

From Windows I'm used to just logging on to Gmail to check my email - I also get reminders on my iPhone whenever I receive a new one. Is there any point in using the native mail program on my MacBook Pro?

If you never felt the need to use a desktop client before, I don't see any reason you really need to start now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sombrero! posted:

Anyone know the name of that OSX app that can remove things from pictures yet keep the background intact?

Content aware, or whatever?

Are you just thinking of Photoshop's content-aware fill?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ah, never knew there were other apps specifically for that. I already have Photoshop, but it could still be good to know for the future.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Really, the only thing I've ever wanted was a way to sync Stickies across machines. Evernote is ridiculously overbuilt for what I want so I basically stopped using it. I just need something I can jot down and read on another machine, not an organization system for my scribblings.

That's why I pretty much just end up emailing things to myself.

If only I could sync Stickies :(

I hadn't heard it before, but at least according to Jim Dalrymple filling in for Gruber on this week's episode of The Talk Show, you can double-click a note in Notes on Mountain Lion to turn it into a sticky.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I just thought maybe if I used a recover app I could undelete something like you can do with your regular hard drive... :shobon:
It is a regular hard drive, so theoretically you could use one of those tools. But just like any other hard drive, you can only recover something if the bits haven't been overwritten by other files. Time Machine generally only deletes stuff because it needs the space, so there is very little chance that those files haven't been overwritten.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone here sort their files by "Date Added"?

I've seen this happen a number of times, where the date separators show up as regular folders. Very weird. I can close the window and it shows up normally again. I can't pin down exactly what is happening. Nothing in my console logs, and I'm not sure how to reproduce it, though it happens enough that I've noticed it.

Normal:

Busted:

I've seen this tons of times. No idea what causes it though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I use Chrome exclusively, and it's supposed to keep Flash updated automatically. But it did look like Safari was prompting me to install the latest version and directed me to Adobe's website. Better safe than sorry though. Thanks.

If you only use Chrome anyway, the safest thing would be to just uninstall Flash all together.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Any guesses that 10.7.4 is the last Lion release? We haven't seen a developer preview for 10.7.5 yet, and we're already approaching the release of Mountain Lion.

Godspeed Lion, we hardly knew ye. :patriot:

Apple Insider just reported this afternoon that a developer preview of 10.7.5 is coming soon. I have no idea how accurate that'll prove to be though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Experto Crede posted:

brushed metal

Please don't say these words again. Too many bad memories.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've had Flash uninstalled for over a year now. The only part that's annoying is how many sites have HTML5 versions of their video content, but won't show them unless you change your user agent. Sites really should go HTML first, and then just have Flash as a fallback if they're gonna have it at all.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Since I guess he's too humble to promote it, I want to point out that fellow goon OHIO (main developer of the iOS Awful app) just released an OSX version of his Algebra Touch app. It's featured in the New and Noteworthy section of the Mac App Store, and is currently the number 15 paid app. Let's try to get it even higher.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I thought I remembered Siracusa realizing some time after his review came out that some of the defaults were changed between GM and release on Lion. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Sparrow is on sale for $4.99 on the App Store until Monday.

Speaking of which, has the free version of Sparrow been really buggy for anyone else lately? I can't even get it to load my inbox most of the time anymore. I've already removed it an reinstalled but it didn't help. Maybe I should finally just upgrade to the full version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The posting on their site doesn't say explicitly that they aren't going to be developing it anymore, but it very strongly implies it.

quote:

We're excited to announce that Sparrow has been acquired by Google!

We care a lot about how people communicate, and we did our best to provide you with the most intuitive and pleasurable mailing experience.

Now we're joining the Gmail team to accomplish a bigger vision; one that we think we can better achieve with Google.

We'd like to extend a special thanks to all of our users who have supported us, advised us, given us priceless feedback and allowed us to build a better mail application. While we'll be working on new things at Google, we will continue to make Sparrow available and provide support for our users.

We had an amazing ride and can't thank you enough.

Full speed ahead!

I think that's as close as you can get to saying "we're not developing it any further" without actually saying it.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 20, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Seriously. This is the least significant "major release" of OS X we've ever seen. That's mostly a testament to how solid and refined OS X has already become, and I'm glad Apple recognizes that by only charging :20bux: for it.

I'd say it's also partially due to the new yearly release schedule. You just can't come out with that big of an update every year. I'm guessing that a few years from now if you compare 10.7 to 10.9 or 10.10 you will see about the same amount of change that you're used to in a "major release", but it just isn't coming all at once anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

unruly posted:

10.7 heathen here: Has anyone seen the Safari 6 update for Lion hit yet? Every time I hit Software Update, it tells me I'm up-to-date.

I got the Safari update this morning, a little before I installed Mountain Lion.