Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
I apologize if this isn't the thread in which to post this, or if it has been handled already here or elsewhere (I searched through this thread in case to no avail).

I'm using an iMac with OS X version 10.6.8 and 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, if this helps. Sorry in advance for a long-winded explanation of my problems; this is probably due to my (limited) total lack of understanding of the issues in question.

I am trying to install Windows XP using Boot Camp Assistant (BCA). When I try to download the relevant drivers (the first step for me when running BCA) I am told that the Windows support software is unavailable. This is my first problem; however after reading about other people's experiences with this same issue, I decide to tell BCA that I have already downloaded them or I have them on a disc somewhere.

The next step is to create a partition on my disc for Windows, and here is where my main problem lies: when I try to do so (whatever size partition I try to make) I get the message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Max OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again".

Now, I read more about other people experiencing the same problems, and lots of them said they had solved it by removing certain files, notably Parallels VM, some games and Office 2004, of which I had Parallels, which I removed. This didn't solve them problem for me. Other people claimed to have defragmented their disc, solving them problem for them.

Yet other people suggest that backing up the disc then restoring it will have the same effect, however I don't have another disc to put things on at the moment and I HOPE there is a way around this that doesn't involve my buying one right now.

When I run Disk Utility with the intent of "repairing" it, I gather that in order to do so I need to start up from my Mac OS X installation disc in order to do so, and here comes problem three: I don't actually remember receiving one when I got the iMac. I'm told by my brother that I probably did and have just lost it, and perhaps this is true; in any case, I don't have one now. Is there any way that I could perhaps download such a disc image based on the fact that I have a legitimate copy installed on the machine now, then burn that image?

If anyone can shed any light on any of this mess I would be very grateful. If any useful information isn't made clear by the above, let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm pretty sure you can run a disk verify with the system running. Go into Disk Utility and give it a shot.

I did this, and it said:

"This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disk and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

The details were:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 51725781 instead of 51725763)
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

Now, I don't have the installation disc, and one of the things I was wondering was whether I might be able to get hold of one without having to buy a new one, given that this is a legitimate copy that I'm using now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts, and particular thanks to Shin-chan, whose advice I followed and it worked like a charm.

Edit: Also, in case anyone else has the same problems as me, I have followed advice from here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892725
which seems to be working for me as a solution to my other issues.

Scamander fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 3, 2011

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
I'm back with another problem, or rather one of my earlier ones which it turns out wasn't sorted after all.

My current situation is this:

I have installed Windows XP SP2 using bootcamp, and this works. However, during the installation I had to say that I had already downloaded the relevant drivers or that I had them on a CD. I don't have the CD, however I found THIS site http://support.apple.com/kb/dl830 which I assumed would solve all my problems for me. Below is why I assumed it might work out. vvv

Apple site posted:

Note: This download contains complete copies of Boot Camp Windows XP Drivers (version 2.1). If you have Boot Camp drivers already installed, it will update them. If you do not have any Boot Camp drivers installed, it will install version 2.1 drivers onto your already installed Windows OS.

So I downloaded the relevant file, burnt it onto one of my fast dwindling stack of CDs and booted up Windows XP. Now, when I try to run the file (BCUpdateXP.exe), there is a brief period of activity (and it appears momentarily in the list of running processes), then with no messages or anything it just stops and the process disappears. I am FAIRLY sure it hasn't done anything, and would be rather embarrassed to learn that this is what it was meant to do and that everything is alright. I don't think so, though.

Now, THIS site http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10329525-263.html?tag=mfiredir describes a few problems related to the BCUpdate thing, including my own. It offers one possible solution, which is to

that site posted:

Use a utility like WinZIP to extract the MSP file from the downloaded .exe.

Attempt to run the MSP file from the command line as an administrator with a command that looks like this:

msiexec /p (path)bcupdate(version).msp

Now, I haven't had success with this because, while I looked up how to run it as an administrator, I must have misunderstood because it was having none of it. Not one to be put off, I tried just running the file anyway, and although it didn't tell me that I wasn't allowed to run the thing, it DID tell me that it couldn't find the program that I wanted it to update.

When I unpacked the original .exe, I was gifted with these two: BCUpdateXP.msp and BCLocUpdateEnable.exe. I was wondering if perhaps that latter was the thing that was meant to tell the computer that although I don't have a program called bootcamp installed, to go ahead and install the drivers anyway. I don't know; this is just speculation on my part and I wouldn't be surprised to be incorrect. The main reason I assume there must be such a function at all is the "note" on the apple site.

Anybody know what I should be doing to get this sorted out? As before, if I haven't mentioned something that you think is important, let me know.

(Once again, I'm on OS X version 10.6.; also, one of my original issues was that I don't have access to an OS X disc, hence I am looking for the drivers from a different source such as the one I linked to).

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
I gave it another shot just in case, but this was one of my original issues: when I try that step it tells me that "Download could not continue. The Windows support software is not available". This, I gathered from what other people had complained about elsewhere, is not an uncommon problem. The solution on one of the apple pages was to skip that step and use the drivers included on my OS X disc -- but since I don't have the disc, I am looking for another way of doing it.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scamander
Apr 11, 2007
I want to change this
Just an update on my situation: I ended up finding my OS X disc hidden away somewhere, so that sorted everything out for me.