Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Binary Badger posted:

1) IMHO you shouldn't bother running Lion on anything that's not a metal-encased Mac. I've had it running on a first-gen Intel plastic Core 2 Duo iMac and it definitely drives the system harder, as I'm seeing graphic garbage and other stuff that's never happened on that machine. It was running Snow Leopard just fine. Same thing with a 2007 MacBook, graphics break up and general niggling fits and lockups on a 3 GB Macbook. Yeah yeah ancedotal evidence.

That's helpful, thanks. I was wondering if I'd really get any benefit from Lion on my 2008 plastic Macbook, especially as there was so much chat about trackpad gestures it can't do. May have to adopt an 'ain't broke don't fix it' policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Having an irritating problem with my Late 2013 Retina MBP.

When the screen switches off due to inactivity, half the time the wifi connection is lost. It says its connected, pages attempt to load but I have to turn wifi off and on again before it works properly. No other computer or phone on the wifi network has this problem.

I have tried:
  • Resetting the router and computer etc
  • Deleted all saved networks in Network Preferences, all their passwords in Keychain and repaired permissions
  • Set service order to put Wifi top of the list.
  • Latest version of everything

There are no other issues with the wifi - connection is full speed and completely stable otherwise. Here's the console log from the last time it lost its connection after waking: http://pastebin.com/megGxXaP

Any ideas appreciated, It's becoming really tiresome turning wifi on and off ten times a day.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Thanks for the responses.

jink posted:

This is a bug in 10.9.2. I hit the same problem with my rMBP. :(

I've tried everything to fix the problem. Nothing recommended seems to fix it; it appears that the wifi driver goes into low power state prematurely and disconnects. I work around it by using NoSleep and Caffiene to keep the laptop awake as long as possible.
I'm actually pleased to hear it's not just me suffering it! Looks like I'm heading down this rabbit hole of deleting various plists and fingers crossed for a 10.9.3 fix.

Kingnothing posted:

Delete the networking plist and reboot?
Worth a shot!

fordan posted:

I've had good luck with turning off Bluetooth most of the time, and re-enabling it when I use Bluetooth devices after Wifi is up and running. But yeah, annoying.
I do leave Bluetooth on, I'll try turning it off and see if that helps.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've encountered more irritating bugs in Mavericks than any other Mac OS I've used.

Safari's just started doing that annoying thing where you swipe to go back and the page moves a few pixels and then the tab completely locks up. I've already had to stop my laptop sleeping because of this wifi loss bug, and before that had already stopped downloading large files in Firefox because the computer would put itself to sleep mid download. On top of that, a couple of times I've completely lost all sound after unplugging the headphones.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I'm still having it with Bluetooth turned off. I can't reliably reproduce the bug. I thought I'd cured it by clearing out all the saved networks (there were dozens of them, I didn't realise it copied across every free wifi I've used on my iPhone!) but it came back after a couple of days.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

killa-pope posted:

In case nobody has wandered into Safari settings yet, ElCap lets you enable command+number tab switching.

I am a happy, happy man.

This turned itself on by default. Thank goodness they provided a checkbox to disable it (which was apparently missing in one of the late betas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Sad Panda posted:

Anyone else not that fond of El Capitan and SIP? I liked XtraFinder. As someone who came from Windows, being able to press enter to open a file is just natural. I don't see why cmd + o is somehow a better option. I also want my folders back to the top of the list.

Try Cmd+down instead of Cmd+O. You can fly through Finder using Cmd and the arrow keys.