Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

QWERTTY posted:

I'm using it while I wait for my external hd. I did that and this happened.

The Lion installer obviously did something strange to that folder. Give up. Make a new folder inside your home directory, then move everything from the weird folder to the new one, then delete the anomaly. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

chimz posted:

Apple Every Unix vendor ever takes the position that the standard UNIX directories are not OK to mess with. You should probably install in a similar way to Macports does where it installs to /opt/ and doesn't mess with the system Python.

In other words, don't overwrite the OS version of anything, it'll get clobbered during a system update and no one will have any sympathy for you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Quick impressions:

Safari runs a LOT better than it did.

3-column view in Mail with conversations on is really loving sweet, they did a nice job on this.

All My Files is nice.

I signed in to YouTube and the system asked me if I wanted to add the Gmail account to Mail, iCal and iChat. That's a neat trick.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Auriak posted:

Thanks guys, that seems to have worked!

That would probably mess with anything system-related that depends on the specific version installed with the OS.

I may be off, but I believe the correct way is to explicitly invoke the correct version in the script. This bit on the first line #!/bin/python tells the OS what to run the script with. You change it to #!/usr/bin/python, put your version somewhere like /usr/local/bin/python-2-7-0 and make a symlink to it at /usr/local/bin/python. Update the symlink when you update Python and your scripts always point to the correct version.

If there's a better way, you can probably make me and a couple of our developers very happy...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

vlack posted:

You can use #!/usr/bin/env python to find the first python in the user's $PATH... if you want to rely on the users having the correct version installed and in $PATH in the first place. This is probably OK in the OP's case (learning Python and wants to use the new version).

I've seen too many thing become issues when mucking about with paths. And the OP should learn it right the first time :colbert: That comes off as harsh, but learning the right way first is always best.

edit: I spel gud on 5 hours sleep

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2011

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

natlampe posted:

Tried "Export..."? I think it's basically just a renamed "Save As".

Yeah, pretty much. I bet there was a senior UX designer who has always been annoyed at Save As... Either you're duplicating it and changing the file name, which should be done in the Finder, or you're changing file format, which is technically an Export. I hate purists sometimes, but this is ok. Save As... is most commonly used for versioning, which is now built in to 10.7 apps, so it's redundant.

They left Save As... in Keynote, so they aren't abandoning the concept anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Really? So I should be closing the doc that I'm working on, going to Finder, finding my doc, copying the file, changing the name, going back into the document again and keep working?

All instead of hitting Save as... when I'm right loving there already?

I don't think so, but I'm saying there's probably some dude at Apple who's thinking exactly that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone tried Flip4Mac in 10.7? Their site says that Lion support is "coming soon", but I'm curious whether that's just "we're still testing stuff but the current implementation works" or "poo poo's broken son". I'd install and check myself but I'd rather see if anyone has any firsthand experience before I potentially introduce some instability.

Playing WMVs ? That got a whole hell of a lot better in 10.7. Any of the export and conversion stuff in the pay versions ? No, haven't tried 'em.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I just got an email from the guys at dvdfab. Apparently they are coming out with a mac version very soon, as in a few months.

And here I was giving serious consideration to installing windows on my mac just so I could backup my dvd's.

1. Handbrake
2. Disk Utility

the DU method is: insert dvd, select it in DU and hit "New Image", choose a name and make sure you're saving at as a CD/DVD master image. Done.

Now Blu-Ray is a different story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

wdarkk posted:

FUSE just takes that long.

And that also a shitload of individual files, every file system I've used has some overhead in handling each file, enough so that 6 4 GB files would transfer a hell of a lot faster than 24 GB worth of 5 MB files.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

You could also try chmod -R 755 on ~/Library/Preferences and creating a new user account to see if that error still exists.

:colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Not that anybody cares, but Quark, Inc. (the Quark Xpress guys? Remember?) was just acquired by a private equity firm.

http://www.quark.com/About_Quark/Press/PressDetail.aspx?ncid=1444

Once so popular it drove sales of MDD G4s running OS 9, now.. whatever.

I've put a grand total of three programs on my List.

QuickMail Pro: gone from the market, developer out of the market entirely
Powerpoint: Keynote, 'nuff said.
Quark: gently caress those guys too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ziir posted:

I guess I could have just walked over and done this in one second but future man.

Next time I prank someone, it's gonna be a launchd job to randomize their volume.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

Am I blindly missing something, or does the Lion DVD player app not support AirPlay?

I don't believe it does. I'll take iTunes being able to AirPlay videos as a consolation prize. And an excuse to spend some quality time with Handbrake.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Morven posted:

I suspect Apple's idea of fixing it is making Adobe not do that.

Preferably by purchasing the company and putting in competent executives.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

xie posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. I have some feelers out on craiglist for some busted up macbooks. My roommate has an iMac that I can use for a few hours every so often too.

Basically the new position I applied for is actually a better position, and with it comes a bit less Mac support. Our campus is trending toward Macs (particularly for faculty, who get sucked off at every turn), and the new campus kind of just shrugged and said yeah a few people have a Mac but its not a cornerstone.

Learn some cool command-line tricks, it's a Unix at the core so learn some. http://www.commandlinefu.com/ has handy tricks for Unix in general, but poke about for a BASH guide. The Terminal is also good for Mac-specific stuff, the defaults command changes a lot of different options that don't show up in the GUI anywhere. killall kills every process matching the name, so killall Dock restarts the Dock after you've changed something or if it's frozen somehow.

Explore the Library folders. Application Data has app-sepcific stuff, your Firefox profile for one. Applications acting strangely can often be fixed by deleting the preference file (and if it doesn't, put it back). With Property List Editor installed you can even edit preferences, this isn't as dangerous as registry editing because it affects only one program. Unless you're in /System/Library, which you shouldn't be.

edit: ^^^ Unix finally wins. With an Apple logo on it. That's loving hilarious.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SwimNurd posted:

I really never had any major issues with macports, sure having 2 copies of perl/python/Xorg can be annoying. At least it doesn't gently caress with my permissions.

Multiple versions of things happens all the time in the Unix world. One from the vendor, which gets upgraded with the OS so you can't depend on it for anything that needs specific versions, and one you install yourself because you need a specific version of something.

That magic line at the start of a script in Unix ? #!/bin/python ? If you need a specific version, install it to /usr and then specify that in your scripts.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

In Lion, is there a way to force Preview to always open PDFs in Single Page view? They always open in continuous scroll view, and I always have to change it.

bumping this, it's annoying the hell out of me too

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Yeah. It's not a great app for a variety of reasons.... I hate how the conversations shift around according to recency. And that's before talking about the reliability of the server side part of the app....

View menu -> Sort Conversations -> Manually

You can also shrink the Contacts pane down to just their pictures. That should take care of most of these issues.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

duck monster posted:

Has this new firefox , uh 18, being doing lots of beachballing for people? I notice javascript heavy sites like facebook will often sit there for a minute beachballing before springing to life. Does this new gee-wiz JS engine do , like , a full compile or something prior to execution or is this just something that not working out well for only a few people?

I've had a lot of plugin crashes on Facebook. I'm hoping today's update clears that up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

You want a virtual machine for this application. VirtualBox is free and good is cost is an issue. Set it up with VPN and whatnot, take a snapshot, and then show her how to roll it back to the good snapshot when it breaks.

Also get her a Mac, they're far harder for an end user to break (sounds like she'll find a way), give her AdBlock or an equivalent for her favorite browser. Then set up Time Capsule for when she breaks the Mac and CrashPlan or DropBox to get her data offsite.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

I'd probably just write a small bash script that checked to see if the folder was mounted, if not mount it, and then perform an rsync between the folders. Then just use cron (forget the os x equivalent right now) and have it run once a day.

edit: For storing credentials, you could just have them in plain text in the mount command, or just keep them in a .creds file (or whatever you want to name it) with limited permissions.

From the terminal,

code:
man rsync
I say take the time and set up rysnc to run periodically. It can do its thing from any machine that can see both the source and destination folders and the algorithm is time tested and very efficient.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Step 4: (Optional) exercise Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10.

Step 4a - install the Bootcamp drivers for Win10

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm going to suggest removing anything that isn't running right now from the Dock. That'll clean it up nicely. Use cmd-space to launch other stuff and add them to the Dock if launching them that way gets to be a hassle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pivo posted:

Dunno what it is, never worked at an Apple Store, there's a hardware test they boot either over the network or from a connected drive. It's different than the diagnostics on the recovery partition.

Thats Apple Service Tools. 2014 and earlier machines need an AST server on their subnet to boot from. 2015s use AST2, which is in the cloud. Those need any Internet connection, and someone with a GSX account to access the console. Once you get connected, either AST version lets the tech run a pretty comprehensive suite of hardware tests.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

I'm quite new to Macs and struggle a bit with troubleshooting right now. My flatmate's 2014 15-inch rMBP seems to have some issues and I can't find solutions just by googling. It started by him complaining about slow internet speeds and his MacBook is actually only a tenth to half as fast in the same WiFi network as my 2015 15-inch and both of our iPhones.

Forget the network and re-join.
Open up Activity Monitor and see what's using network resources.
Do an SMC Reset It's not a specific for this issue, but it cures a multitude of ills.
Zap the NVRAM. Ditto.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Argh grinding teeth please don't perpetuate placebo tech tip myths. Neither of these cures a multitude of ills.

NVRAM is usually irrelevant to problems that happen while macOS is actually running.

True, but it doesn't hurt anything. I'm going to keep recommending it as long as it's on every Quick Fixes page in GSX troubleshooting. Look at nvram -p again; your Bluetooth controller is in there n so is the display backlight.

quote:

SMC reset is a more legit tip, but only for problems related the stuff the SMC actually manages, such as the battery. The SMC doesn't (so far as I am aware) do anything related to WiFi.

The SMC is involved in distributing power to various components, if its settings get corrupted lots of things can go wrong. We have resolved issues where a Retina MBPro will lose the internal display completely with SMC resets.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

A Sandy Bridge i7 is definitely not too ancient to be useful, and is in fact plenty powerful for all of that, the only thing that should really suffer compared to more recent models and newer units is the battery life.

The battery is the issue there. Have the seller go into System Information and show you the battery details. Charge cycles should be well under 500. If they're over, start bargaining. If they're over 1000, let me know, I've only seen one that high once. I can look up what the mHa values should be new so you can compare them if you want.

There's also a known issue on the 15" where the GPU flakes out and the machine goes from having unexpected shutdowns to not booting at all. I *think* the repair extension on that problem has expired, so if it happens the expensive logic board is toast. Most of the machines for which the issue will occur have already had it though. Although I do have a report from last week that a machine that I'd already replaced the logic board on had it happen again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

Thank you guys for giving me reassurance when I get the itch to impulse buy next time.

TouchID, Touch Bar and essentially a lateral CPU/RAM/SSD move are not worth $3000 to me.

Wise man. The 2012 is a perfectly adequate OS X machine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Last Chance posted:

If FileVault passwords work anything like Keychain passwords, then you'll either have to remember your old password or change it again every time you're forced to change your AD password. Pain in the rear end, but I don't know any way around it.

At work we have the JAMF suite for managing the Macs. All the FileVault 2 machines have a recovery key on record. That should integrate nicely with AD. I make no promises for 'easily'.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

iFixit is sometimes wrong about Mac laptops, but these are fine.

Before anyone asks, I believe it was the 2013 MacBook Pro logic board replacements.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

I'm using HDMI cables that definitely work with other things (TV boxes of all sorts). I've tried holding the option key down and pressing detect displays, but it did nothing. I reset SMC (I think but there was no way to know for certain). I used the combo update.

Help!

NVRAM reset is your next step: cmd-opt-P-R at power-on, hold the keys until the second chime.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jackpot posted:

I've got a few-months-old MBP that at the moment thinks it's still plugged into my external monitor, I can't see anything. I'm able to login (blind) but the screen is black. Touch bar is active so it knows I'm logged in (I can command+tab thru various apps and recognize where I am by touch bar options), it just won't display anything. It's happened several times before, anybody else seen this?

Zap the NVRAM to reset the display settings. Shut down. Hit power, and hold the p-r-option-command keys down. You can let go after the Apple logo appears and disappears the second time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Over There posted:

I want a MacBook Pro so I'm excited for the Apple event next week.

I'm hoping beyond hope they cut the engineering lifecycle short, because servicing the 2016 and 2017 touchbar machines is much, much more of a pain in the rear end then it needs to be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

stevewm posted:

....... really?? Jesus christ.. I knew it was difficult, but didn't know it was THAT difficult.

Hanging onto my 2014 MBPr for as long as I can.

The special jig to transfer data is only for cases where the logic board is damaged. If the machine will start up, Target Disk mode works just fine to transfer data.

Having the hard drive integrated with the motherboard is seriously annoying. We can't just swap a hard drive anymore to get someone back up, it's a full re-deploy with data transfer and running our set-up scripts. This is a change from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

The 2015 Retina machines are still powerful machines, and worth every penny on the refurb market. It's a pity the RAM isn't upgradeable crap, Apple's refurb offerings are touchbar machines only. The MacBook Airs are still in, you can even replace the battery on one of those.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pivo posted:

Unfortunately when you start Safari it doesn't respect this and still downloads to ~/Downloads. If you can figure out how to get Safari to reload the plist, you can just use launchd to run the script every day at midnight.

Remember how the #1 troubleshooting step for a crashing application was to delete the preferences file(s) ? That's because developers are sloppy with the prefs files. In 10.9 Apple introduced a background process called cfprefsd. It mediates access to plist files, and, will put them back if they get deleted. The recommended procedure is now (in Bash).

code:
killall cfprefsd; mv $FILE ~/.Trash/
It's annoying when a program still manages to screw up the prefs, but you get far fewer corrupted preferences since then.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

User, Apps and whatever user config/system config stuff. I've never done a manual migration before. I'm sure its easy but I was hoping the automated thing would work.

Best practices for a manual migration are:

Create an admin account on the machine (it's always handy to have a second admin account in case your main breaks and can't log in anymore)
Copy the home directory to be migrated to /Users
Create an account with the same username as that folder's name
Say yes when it asks if you want to use the folder that's already there
Copy over any apps that don't rely on an installer (Adobe, VMWare and SnagIt, I'm looking at you)
Done

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any particular reason why an MBP would randomly begin failing to find any Bluetooth devices? I've had occasions where I will be paired to my headphones, but never actually able to connect, and unpairing makes the laptop completely unable to find them until I shut down and restart.

Is it not seeing any devices, or is the BT hardware not present ? The latter comes up on 13" 2015 MBPros a lot, the flex cable to the I/O board goes bad and the BT hardware starts randomly disappearing. It's a $29 cable and a 15 minute fix (including recalibrating the trackpad because the machine was opened). If the hardware is still there, nuke the 2 Bluetooth preferences files and do an SMC reset (shut down, plug in power, hold the left shift-option-control keys plus the power buttons for 10 seconds. The charge indicator changes colors if it worked).

quote:

On top of that there's the removal of the data port from 2018 MBPs that used to let you, with appropriate equipment, do the clone/backup if the USB-C / Tbolt ports were out of commission.

This is bullshit. We run backups and we still have to do this every month or so. The PCI-E connector the Retina machines used was plenty fast and we could still get at the hard drive in case of an MLB failure. That also made it easy to move someone's drive to a working machine and get them back to work.

There is exactly one good engineering decision in the Touchbar laptops, and that's moving all I/O ports off the logic board to the top case (headphones) or daughtercards (USB-C ports). The worst is changing the battery connector from a big, sturdy plastic connector you hook with your thumbnail and pop out, to a ZIF connection with a locking gate. Every time we open one of those systems, we have two chances to break the logic board.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

nitsuga posted:

EDIT: Scratch that! The code writes to the PLIST correctly, but it doesn't seem to be making the UI changes (from disabled to enabled). I'm curious if just deleting the two PLISTs (in ~/Library/Preferences will sort this out.

If not, personally, I put the Accessibility icon in the menu bar (for grayscale), and that might be a quicker way than trying to hack something together with AppleScript. Otherwise, you could probably make another account (or make another account and copy all of its ~/Library/Preferences to your main account).

Try killing cfprefsd first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can always ftp from command line, most of the commands are fairly straightforward.

Command-line ftp will also be the most stable, bug-free, and protocol compliant ftp client available. It's my go-to tool for deciding if we have a client problem, or a server problem.