Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

So when do you guys think Pro Tools and Media Composer are going to be qualified for Lion? :v:

Perhaps more to the point, is Pro Tools 8 ever going to be qualified for Lion or is Avid going to force me to upgrade to 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

error1 posted:

Hey that's neat, if you set a desktop background it remembers unique ones for each mission control desktop. Did spaces use to do that? (i never really got into using spaces)

I think you could do that with Hyperspaces but no it wasn't present in regular Spaces.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cyne posted:

So when do you guys think Pro Tools and Media Composer are going to be qualified for Lion? :v:

Perhaps more to the point, is Pro Tools 8 ever going to be qualified for Lion or is Avid going to force me to upgrade to 9?

Well, it looks like I got the answer to the second question.

Sweetwater has a Lion compatibility page for audio gear and software, where they write:

quote:

• AVID: At this time Pro Tools 9 and earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible with OS X Lion. Avid is working directly with Apple in order to establish full compatibility with Pro Tools 9.

A little disappointing, but not too surprising I suppose.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

lord funk posted:

When has Pro Tools ever not forced you to upgrade to get compatibility? :v:

I shouldn't poke fun. MOTU doesn't have DP7 ready for Lion yet either.

I guess I thought they might want to cut us some slack given that PT 9 hasn't been out all that long, and that they continued to ship old Mboxes with 8 even after it was introduced. Oh well, the upgrade fee to 9 isn't outrageous, but I was hoping to be able to delay it just a little bit.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

wolffenstein posted:

You probably need to edit the $PATH variable to put your Python installation path in front of OS X's installation. Google can help you do this.

If it's just for the one program, you could also create an alias to call your copy of python. From your home directory:
code:
echo "alias python='/usr/local/bin/python'" >> .bash_profile
Of course if it's somewhere different than /usr/local/bin substitute the appropriate path.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Lazyhound posted:

And I thought my Lion experience was awkward: Man charged 122 times for Lion upgrade.

This is going to be a good quarter for Apple.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mike12345 posted:

So I'm at my parents and thinking about upgrading mom's powerbook to Lion. But... is it really "worth it" in terms of usability? Does it make things easier to navigate, or has the user interface interaction become more intuitive?

I know not that much has changed, but I don't want to confront her with an upgrade that makes things harder for her than they already were. I don't think she's already familiar with stuff like Expose. The mail app looks nicer, from what I've seen, and that is what she mostly uses.

Did you mean MacBook rather than PowerBook? Because if it's really the latter, Lion usability is kind of a moot point. :v:

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Krakkles posted:

Logged in, registered a free account, got this:

Irony.

Gotta love it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

IUG posted:

What? Boo...

Looking at their blog and I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it's not entirely dead in the water yet.

I'd been wondering what was going on with Camino. I've been using it on my PowerBook for years, but it feels a little dated on my new MBP next to Safari and Chrome. I tried the 2.1 alpha when it first came out, which helped matters a bit but felt a little unpolished for day to day use (to be expected of an alpha, of course). I'm going to give the beta a go and see how it's progressing. Camino's a neat little browser - I hope it's not going to be completely abandoned.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro so I can gaming purposes...

No complaints running it on my 2011 MBP so far...

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Epic Fail Guy posted:

That only says FAT, is it really FAT32?

Edit: Actually, it's producing a FAT16 filesystem for me here. I could have sworn it was FAT32... I mean, why wouldn't it be?

Cyne fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 20, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm looking around the Apple support forums and it looks like Disk Utility now does FAT16 or 32 depending on the capacity of the device? This is weird. I guess if it's 2gb or less it will go with 16.

Ah I guess that would explain it. I just created a small disk image to test it out.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

plotskee posted:

OK so I'm looking at picking up a used Air. A bunch of the ones I'm looking are 2010 models that have been upgraded to Lion. I'm worried that if I ever have to reinstall the OS there will be issues. If I make a disc out of the Lion DMG (that the seller bought on his Apple ID), is it going to prompt me for authorization if I ever have to reinstall?

No, OS X doesn't really have copy protection of any sort.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The only reason for having antivirus software on a Mac is if you're really concerned about sending things that might be infected with a Windows virus to people. The probability of even that is negligible though, so the short answer is no, you don't need antivirus / malware protection software on a Mac.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Also, they ran out of cats.

Cougar. ;-*

Which I think is basically a panther, which they already covered. Still, I would really like to use Mac OS X Cougar. :wink:

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Accipiter posted:

Yes because OS X was mostly just like OS 9.

The OS 9 to OS X switch was a unique situation. The classic Mac OS was untenable as a next-generation operating system, aesthetically and technically, enough so that it basically required making a completely new OS from the NeXTSTEP core. The next generation of Mac OS is not going to require such a drastic retooling.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

On another note, spellcheck on my system is going batty:

Yesterday it wasn't working at all. Logging out fixes it, but since I've been having repeat issues it might be worth looking into. So, anyone seen this before?

Edit - Apparently this one was just a browser bug. I'm sure that spellcheck was globally not working yesterday though.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 11, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cold Sprunk posted:

For bootcamp, what edition of Windows do you recommend installing on a early 2011 MBP, XP, Vista or Windows 7? Just looking to play a few games, nothing really new or really demanding of your computer specs (Diablo 2 and crap like that).

The Bootcamp drivers that come with 2011 MBPs don't support anything but Windows 7, so that's the way you should go.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Okay thanks. Does it matter if its the 32 or 64 bit version?

Nope, but if you have a 64-bit copy you may as well go with it since, well, there's not really any reason not to these days.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Oneiros posted:

Probably just drag-and-dropped it there accidentally. I actually had no idea you could do that with the top bar, but it works. Command-drag removes them.

I think I stumbled on this sometime way way back and probably just declared it useless and forgot about it.

It seems to work for any Finder item just as well, though nothing is labeled so its use for files and folders is questionable.

Edit: Wait! Ctrl-Click lets you switch to Icon & Text mode.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Funktor posted:

What's good virus/malware protection software for OSX?

You don't need one, but if it would really make you feel better, you can get ClamXav. Just don't pay for anything.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

TotallyGreen posted:

I work every once in a while for a photographer and he wants me to organize and tag his external harddrives using lightroom. I have lightroom, but I'm on a PC and he's on a Mac. I know Mac's cant read NTFS, so how should I format the drives so that both of our computers can read them? Is there a way to make my PC be able to read whatever Mac's format is?

I heard FAT32 might work, is that a good option?

Use exFAT.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cockwhore posted:

Try XLD along with this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=81239

They also mention something called "max" in the thread I haven't heard of, you could check out.

Max is great. Get it here:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy all- I just got my mom a current gen 21" iMac to replace her first gen intel iMac as it was really starting to creak along. I am going to get her Windows 7 as she needs it for a few programs for work. At this point which is the easier virtualization software? She's not going to be doing any gaming or anything on this, so those kinds of stats don't matter at all.

Both Parallels and Fusion are pretty friendly at this point. For a well-supported OS like Win 7 it's basically as easy as insert disc, create a new virtual machine, enter the registration code and the software handles the rest. If performance isn't a concern you would be fine with either, but you could always download the trials of each and see if your mom has a preference for one or the other.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

dereekb posted:

Afaik you can change the amount of RAM that Photoshop hogs up/"allocates" when it opens up and stays open. I remember having this problem (except Photoshop was acting slow, so instead I added more RAM for Photoshop to take up). Not "exactly" sure where the setting is, other than there is a setting and it's in preferences. See if that helps.

Preferences -> Performance. :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's a good utility to convert FLAC audio into an iTunes-compatible format (AAC, MP3, etc)? Everything I see tends to be some system-takover audio player.

Max is pretty handy to have around. Converts to and from pretty much every audio format out there.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

hog pounder posted:

I have a G4 Mac Mini that's running Leopad and I find that Safari 5 runs a bit sluggish on this machine. Are there other browsers better optimized for this older system?

You might want to check out Camino. The most recent version, 2.1, added support for HTML 5 and some other stuff that makes it just a tad slower than previous versions on my PowerBook, but it's still perfectly fine for basic browsing.

Edit: Also, these guys are continuing Firefox development for older versions of OS X. I dunno, I've never been a huge fan of Firefox on OS X but since these are CPU-specific builds they should run pretty good on your machine.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 20, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Any idea why my 2011 MBP (running Snow Leopard) would choke on writing from a DVD while my old PowerBook (running Leopard) works fine? I got a book for Christmas with a large DVD attached, which I would prefer to access locally. On my MBP, if I just lasso all the folders on the DVD to a folder on my desktop it stops writing after a few seconds and the drive makes a little click-y sound. Trying to create a disk image also fails with "input/output error." Seems to be working fine on the ol' PB. Pretty weird.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

fleshweasel posted:

p.s. the reason it doesnt work is that it's broken.

Well that makes sense. :v:

I guess I just wanted to see if it could possibly be a system issue or something before making the trek to the nearest Apple store (actually not that bad, there's one about an hour in either direction, I just don't get out to those parts often).

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

NESguerilla posted:

Wow, Diablo 2 won't run on lion. They really need to put a loving sticker on the box so I don't end up spending $30 and popping the box open. Pretty frustrating.

It must have run under Rosetta in earlier versions of OS X. Sucks, but it's kind of miraculous that a nearly 12 year-old Mac game would work on recent versions of OS X at all.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, just downloaded something in Xvid format and I'm looking for a safe, free codec for my iMac running Lion 10.7.2

Thanks in advance.

http://perian.org/

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How would I transcode a .m2v video file into an MP4/MOV (H.264, QT-Compatible) format?

I'm doing sound design for a film and the movie was sent to me as a .m2v, exported from Final Cut. I have opened it in QT Pro 7 and QT 10 (with Perian), but neither can play the video, however VLC can. Do I just need the codec? If I can open it in QT 7, I can change the encapsulation to something my postproduction software recognizes.

edit: Because this is for a project, I would like a perfect frame-by-frame output. The quality doesn't matter (I can transcode it), but I don't want to have dropped frames or hosed-up timings.

MPEG-2 is apparently supported by QT on Lion, but you need to to buy the component for playback on other versions of OS X. Kinda frustrating.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A

Look into a nice encoding package like Sorenson Squeeze if this is something you anticipate a recurring need for.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have OSX Lion though, do I still need the codec for it? It won't open it any version of QT, but will in VLC (my non-Apple postproduction software uses QT though, so I have to have it in a QT-compatible format).

Perian has some MPEG-2 support - maybe that's stomping on something in the native QT codec? MPEG-2 should be supported natively in Lion.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Olivil posted:

Install MacPorts and

$ sudo port selfupdate
$ sudo port install gmake

That wouldn't quite work for him since MacPorts itself requires the Developer Tools.

duep, how sure are you that don't need anything else from the dev tools package? It doesn't seem like gmake is going to be of much use if you don't have the compilers and such.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

stray posted:

Here's a quick question for the thread.

Mac OS X Lion comes with Python 2.7.1 installed, but since Apple probably won't update it until 10.8 comes out, I've installed 2.7.2 using homebrew. However, when I use which python, it still points to the python in /usr/bin. Homebrew installed the newer Python to /usr/local/bin, so how do I tell Mac OS to use that Python instead of the default?

If you want python to run from /usr/local/bin, an alias will do. Add this line to ~/.bash_profile:
code:
alias python='/usr/local/bin/python'
You can also modify your PATH variable in .bash_profile to point to /usr/local/bin first, but I like to avoid doing that. In my opinion it's best to just make an alias when you specifically know you want to use a different version.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

lord funk posted:

Do they even make Stuffit anymore?

Yes. It's unbelievably bloated and clunky.

Hey, my dad still pays up for the WinZip license he's probably been using since at least Win95. I can only assume the people who still use StuffIt for everything are mostly Mac old-timers who've been using it since the only way to get it was to mail a check to the kid who wrote it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Olivil posted:

I need to work on a project with someone using Visio 2010. Is there a compatible alternative for the mac? Or is the best solution to install a VM with Visio?

OmniGraffle can import and export Visio files, but it's been a while since I've used it so I'm not sure how current its support is. Definitely worth checking out though.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Martytoof posted:

Ahahahha gently caress YOU Samsung for packaging your printer drivers in that lovely VISE X installer that requires you to literally quit every running program on your Mac in order to install a printer driver.

I would have used the ones that come from Apple which OSX auto-downloads when you first plug in your printer, but this one isn't connected to the network :(

But seriously. VISE X, everyone :golfclap:

I've had to download drivers from Brother and Lexmark and they've both been packaged that way as well. That just seems to be the way it is for whatever reason. They're probably something of an afterthought given that OS X comes with so many drivers built-in and most people will never have problems with them.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Adobe also said you needed a G5 to run CS4... that wasn't true either.

It's very unlikely that they're going to cut support for machines released not even a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Binary Badger posted:

But yeah, for single processor machines, Tiger is the way to go.

Depends on how recent a model it is. Leopard runs with little appreciable difference from Tiger on my 1.5 GHz 12-inch PowerBook, but for a machine as old as his, yeah, it is probably better to stick with Tiger.