Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I got a new MacBook Air. It's great, but Netflix on Silverlight blows because I'm pretty sure it's not using hardware acceleration for the video. CPU usage goes up to 30+% (120% when you add up all 4 logical units or whatever that poo poo is). It's annoying because the fan gets wicked loud.

Regular video in MPlayerX is way better because it's actually hardware accelerated.

This thing has the Intel 3000 HD by the way. It sucks but it should at least be good enough to play this video. Is there any way to make sure Silverlight actually hardware accelerates this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Nevermind, I'll post again when I know some more about my bug.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Built 4 Cuban Linux fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 27, 2012

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
What's the current favorite app for cleaning up the mess on your hard drive (emptying caches, freeing space, etc)? Never really needed one and now I figure I can use an extra gig or two on this air.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Martytoof posted:

Kind of sucks that Siri isn't a new voice in ML for text-to-speech.

I wonder if they'll phase her in.

I know it's not a "her", but I can't make myself refer to her as an "it".

Select 'Samantha'.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

THC posted:

Does anyone know how to force Messages.app to display iMessages in the order they're sent? They have correct timestamps on them so clearly it knows what order they should be displayed in, but it shows them in the wrong order anyway and there doesn't appear to be a way to sort them AFAIK

It's a bug and it's been reported to Apple so I imagine they'll fix it pretty soon. Kind of stupid that this happened in the first place though.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Has anyone noticed that full screen flash videos in Chrome (HBO Go, Youtube, etc) have been resized improperly in Chrome recently? It must have been a recently Chrome update that did it (because I think it packs its own Flash release). It's kind of annoying. All the buttons, text, and even the video are aliased in a weird way, and it doesn't hide the dock automatically.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Civil posted:

Now that they're on (or soon will be) OS X 10.9, what will they call the next release?

OS 11?

OS XI?

OS X 10.10?

They've kind of painted themselves into a corner.

They don't need to do point numbers anymore. I think they did it on purpose. Check out how often they use 10.9 on this page: http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/ (they only use it in the legalese poo poo at the bottom)

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
On the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, the max resolution is the equivalent of 1680x1050, which is rendered at 3360x2100 and then downscaled to 2560x1600. If have an 2560x1440 external monitor, is it rendered at 5120x2880 and scaled down to fit? Or somehow just rendered at native resolution while using the 2x retina assets?

Anyway, I can't find info on how it does this and I imagine it's pretty terrible for performance either way.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Anyone seen this or know a solution? 2 updates available but the top part shows nothing. It's been happening for days now.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
i couldn't find anything about this online, but i figured out how to modify the styling in Messages. The glossy poo poo was getting on my nerves. I didn't go full iOS 7 because it would have been too much effort.

Pick one of these CSS files and go to town:

/System/Library/Messages/PlugIns//Balloons.transcriptstyle/Contents/Resources/balloons.css
/System/Library/Messages/PlugIns//Boxes.transcriptstyle/Contents/Resources/boxes.css
/System/Library/Messages/PlugIns//Compact.transcriptstyle/Contents/Resources/compact.css

(woops, I keep forgetting my retina screenshots show up huge on everyone else's pc)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
http://pastebin.com/vwPyZmFd

replace /System/Library/Messages/PlugIns/Balloons.transcriptstyle/Contents/Resources/balloons.css, reload Messages, select 'View > Messages > Show as balloons', and then select your colors in the preferences window.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

dino. posted:

You know, I realised that I hardly ever use Dashboard Widgets anymore. There was a time when I did get on there fairly frequently, because it was a cool little feature when it first came out. Now, I can't recall the last time I've done it.

I hope (and I've hoped this for years, it will probably never happen) that iOS 8 supports 3rd-party widgets on the home screens (may come with the bigger iPhones) and they are compatible with OS X as well.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I use Safari on a 13" rMBP on the highest resolution in 10.9. GIF performance sucks. They stutter, drop frames, get stuck for seconds at a time.

Chrome plays GIFs perfectly.

Anyone else have this problem? Safari is better for a few reasons, but this is reliably annoying.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Anyone remember that Terminal command that popped up a big black banner with white text over the center of your screen? I've searched online and looked in /usr/bin and can't find anything that looks right.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Airmail is great. Sparrow was better (and simpler). Airmail's got too many weird options and settings and buttons, but at least its versatile and very customizable. Also, I'm glad they raised the price. Sparrow couldn't make enough money at $2 so they sold out and ended development. It's probably a full-time job for the Airmail developers and I think enough people are satisfied with Mail.app or webmail that the market probably isn't very big.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I use a dark grey background for my text when programming/writing, and the line/text-select mouse pointer almost completely disappears. It's really hard to see on dark backgrounds. Anything I can do to change this? I know Windows has much better support for stuff like this. I'm surprised there's nothing in Accessibility to help.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Is there a way to completely disable full screen (the stuff you get when you click the green button). My dumb parents keep clicking it (by mistake?) and then can't find their finder or their desktop or their other apps and get confused and call me and annoy the poo poo out of me. and they never remember anything i tell them about the computer so teaching them won't do anything.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Pivo posted:

An amusing problem. Those are the best. Tell them to option-click instead?

But someone on apple.com's forums has a potential solution:

I haven't tried it so I couldn't tell you if it works. Might, though.

I did look around for some settings you could modify, in the UI or the Terminal, yada yada, doesn't seem like there are any.

thanks dude, i'll try that

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Preview is automatically saving over my old photos when I adjust the color levels. It's really annoying.

File > Revert to... shows me the old version, but when I click restore it just closes the document and doesn't do a drat thing.

I want my original images back. Is there another way to do this?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

PRADA SLUT posted:

No, it's just general web browsing and things, nothing intensive.

You can turn off turbo boost: http://www.rugarciap.com/turbo-boost-switcher-for-os-x/

This app is pretty cool. Unfortunately it needs your admin password every time you run it. I wish I could just permanently disable turbo boost.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
How do you copy a full resolution image out of Photos into the clipboard?

You can't copy the full image, and if you copy the thumbnail you get a low-res version.

The only ways I can find to get it out of there are the share menu and file > export. Both are a pain in the rear end.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does dragging to Desktop/folders not export full res?

Ah yes, it does. Better than what I had! Still not copy/paste but I'll take it. Thanks.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Subler is pretty good if all you need to do is remux (MKV -> MP4, for example) and not transcode.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Matt Zerella posted:

So uhh, is sidecar a janky piece of poo poo for anyone else?

2019 13" pro <-> 2017 10.2" iPad Pro.

Constant freezing and lock ups.

When it works its great but this was definitely not always the case.

It absolutely sucks. It completely freezes pretty often.

I already had Duet Display so I've gone back to using that. Much more reliable, and better resolution options.

(I only use it wired)

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Dick Nipples posted:

Anyone had issues with the Apple Credit Card not showing up in the Apple Wallet for a MBP?

I’ve got three MBP’s (one home, two for work) and the work ones both show the Apple Credit Card in the wallet for us with Apple Pay.

For some reason, the home MBP doesn’t show it in the Apple Wallet for Apple Pay. It does show it for Safari CC auto fill when I’m on a site though.

I can’t seem to find a way to kick the Home MBP’s wallet to pick it up. Is this one of those bullshit log in/out of some random Apple account thing to get it to pick up?

Try the '+' button in the Wallet section of system preferences

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Stickies.app (comes with the OS) can float on top, but not over full screen apps (which are considered their own space). You can option-click the green fullscreen button in a window to maximize the window without going true full screen.

You could also use BitBar to put arbitrary notes in the menu bar: https://getbitbar.com/

There may be a plugin that does it, but if not it should be relatively easy to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Will Nova have plugins for multiple languages? I use VS Code for C++, Xcode for Swift, and Coda for web stuff.