Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

mwarkentin posted:

Quick gesture question - is two finger swipe on the magic mouse supposed to be switching desktops now? I'm used to it going back / forward in my web browser but now I keep switching spaces.

Even if you disable that two finger swipe feature, the only app two finger left/right works in is Safari. Yep, you can't go back/forward in Chrome with that. Not even Finder. Absurd.

Here's some other annoyances:

- I don't like that you can't have a grid for spaces now. Mission Control is nice but unintuitive if you're the kind of person who has all your apps set out in an order and know what the gently caress you're doing.

- Desktop icons flashing every time you navigate between Spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

To set up your Magic Mouse/Trackpad to scroll Back/Forth with finger swiping, use these settings:

Magic Mouse - You have to disable the middle option to get the two finger page swipe:

Trackpad - You have to edit the top option to do the two/three finger swipe:

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Can't believe they removed copy + paste and hex colour picking from DigitalColor Meter. Why would they ruin something that was perfect?

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

I looks like a driver issue to me, but I'm not sure how I would confirm that short of wiping and installing 10.6.

There's a fair few people on the Apple forum talking about artifacting after upgrading to Lion. It has to most certainly be a driver issue if it was working fine in Snow Leopard.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Hey guys, I've got an iMac set up with a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD.

I've given each hard drive a partition for Mac and Windows, so I can take advantage of the SSD for OS/Apps and the HDD for storage.

If say, I wanted to place my steam games on the Win HDD, would that be fine under FAT32? If that isn't the case, is it fine for me to format Win HDD as NTFS?

I say this because Disk Utility doesn't let your format it as NTFS, and I wanted to check that it wouldn't break the recognition of the HDD in any way. Had a nasty experience with BootCamp loving an MBR a couple of years back.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

chimz posted:

What you should do is format it Fat32 in OS X, and then reformat just the partition to NTFS using Windows. ( It seems like you're about to do this.) This way Windows doesn't feel the need to screw up the partition map. It should hopefully work.

Cheers dude, that worked fine. A shame Steam doesn't let you install games to different directories - I'd love to be able to archive games on my HDD and put newer releases straight onto the SSD.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

kapalama posted:

What's the process name for Google Chrome?

I cannot Stop the process using "Google Chrome"

Usually just "Google Chrome"

Though I can see "Google Chrome Renderer", "Google Chrome Worker" and "Google Chrome Helper" in my Activity Monitor too.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

SRQ posted:

Are there any good "theme" programs for OSX?
I like the way it looks, but I used to have fun sperging around with theming programs in windows. Do weird poo poo like use rainmeter to make my desktop look like deus ex.

Max Rudberg's Obsidian Bar is a nice little touch, though requires you to change all the menu icons.

http://www.maxrudberg.com/

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Well, what exactly is the advantage?

The only discernible feature the website shows is snoozing mail, wowee zowee

You know all those To Do list apps that fail - how most people stop putting in their 'To Do's over time? They just can't be arsed.

Mailbox is basically using your mail to work as your 'To Do' content. You acknowledge the mail, save it for later (notifications), add it to lists so you can check up on it one day, or get rid of it.

It's the best interface solution to whittling down your emails so you don't have so many to juggle.

If you don't get many emails then it's not going to be for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Dear God; the new iTunes icon is a horror show.

https://dribbble.com/shots/2129316-Muir-MUSIC

Yeah I dunno why they changed it after showing a different one at WWDC