Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Didn't clicking icons previously switch to that application's Space? Doesn't seem to be the same in Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Hey thanks. Now as long as I'm the first person to find out how to disable the Change Desktops animation, I'll be set.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Is that all animations? I was under the impression it was just the "new window open" animation. I'm talking about when you switch spaces and everything slides over.

(I've already run all those fixes but haven't restarted to check yet)

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

(if you have Lion already, it's at /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg)

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, once I can turn off that one (and I'd love to not having dragging multiple files look so ugly) I'll be a little happier.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I know that upgrading a week late means my point of view is really unnecessary, but one more gripe—I used to like running my browser and word processor full screen, which meant that I could just slam my cursor to the right side of the screen and click the scroll bar to jump around in the document. Now the new resize controls mean that clicking there just gives me a useless resize cursor. Any workarounds?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Clicking the scroll bar's fine, it's just that once you get all the way over to the right you're in resize territory. I might just have to throw a "Fitt." ahehahhaha

e: Oh, obviously you can just move the window past the edge of the display so that you can still click the scrollbar but you can't actually get to the proper border. Not great but works for me.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 30, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Didn't Spotlight used to be able to bring up preference panes? That was my favorite way to make quick changes.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Searching for prefpanes still works for me. Have you looked in Spotlight's preferences to see if they are still enabled in the search results?

Hm. It's enabled in the result and I went ahead and rebuilt my index, no dice. If I disable everything except prefpanes I get the expected result for a splitttt second but then a bunch of Developer documentation (from /opt) for some reason.

e: If I search for "prefpane" I get five results from System Preferences-- Perian, GlimmerBlocker, Xsan, Processor, and Secrets, all add-ons. Very curious!

ee: If I type "keyboard" into Spotlight and then enter mdimport /System/Library/PreferencePanes into Terminal, I see the expected results when I click back up to the Spotlight. Once I retype it, though, it's gone. Hm!

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 2, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I've tried a lot of fixes but I'm still having Spotlight issues. Could it because I replaced my superdrive with an SSD (the OS drive) ? I actually get Applications, which is the main thing I use Spotlight for, but I don't really get results for anything else-- just a few random user files and a ton of PDF Documents. Hm!

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

frumpsnake posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with Time Machine in Lion where it continually backs up a shitload of data despite no actual changes taking place? I don't recall it ever happening on Snow Leopard.

I think it could possibly be related to my SSD+HDD Optibay setup. Based on the size, it looks like it's continually re-backing up everything on the HDD, much of which is symlinked to my user profile on the SSD.

I don't use Time Machine very often, but I'm having pretty severe Spotlight issues with my SSD+HDD setup.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I think this is new in Lion—did Quick Look'd media files always continue playing if you changed Spaces? Definitely a nice feature to avoid cluttering up your iTunes library. I'm getting an irritating flicker when I switch, though—like it's having a lot of top/bottom conflicts.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

IUG posted:

I use GlimmerBocker. It's a pref pane, so it works on all browsers. The only pain about this is that you can't just type "google" in the URL bar of the browsers anymore, you have to type at least "google.com".

I use GlimmerBlocker too and have lately gotten addicted to blocking each CSS element I don't want to see. I'm sure there's some slowdown but I don't mind waiting a few microseconds to hide half of the Facebook UI

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

So this has happened to me twice in the past few days—my keyboard stops responding to all input except for my shortcuts to switch spaces (⌘-1,⌘-2,⌘-3,⌘-4). I feel like last time it came back on its own, but this time I had to close the lid and open it back up. Tried disabling BetterTouchTool, but no luck there. Something to do with Mission Control, maybe?

e: it's also possible it has to do with an applescript i'm running for some keystroke macros, but I feel like the first time it happened I hadn't written the script yet.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 12, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Moeru posted:

Anyone had a problem with 1Password for iPhone not syncing with dropbox\mac desktop version? I get an error that says it can't find the file but I look in my dropbox folder and its definitely in there. AgileBits forum has people with the same issue but no fix

edit: Fixed it

How? I'm having the same problem.

e: turning off dropbox sync on osx and then back on worked for me.

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 19, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

My MBP drops its wi-fi connection if I move 20 feet from the kitchen to the couch. Is this my lovely router or 10.7.2?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

My MBP is forgetting its graphic card settings and keeps booting into the higher-quality card (which, unfortunately, usually results in the computer overheating and cutting off)—which preference file should I delete to try and fix that?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

10.7.3 is out! Looks like an exciting one...

e: Might as well post my Chrome problem, since the other thread wasn't any help.

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I'm in OSX 17.0.963.46, and a lot of Flash content isn't showing up for me unless it's fullscreen. YouTube is fine, but otherwise I get a lot of blank space. It's been happening for a little while.

e: Now YouTube's not working. It's all super inconsistent. Also the audio always works (if you can find the play button!)

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I guess that "forgetting trackpad settings" takes up a lot of space.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Do Network Locations have to persist between users? I'd like location changes made with one user to not effect other users on that machine.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Any idea why my iMessages wouldn't be updating on my iPhone? Sending works as expected but it doesn't seem aware of my other device (sending or receiving).

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, same Apple ID. Phone has iMessage toggled on and is "receiving at" 2 addresses—my Apple ID, my phone number, and my e-mail address (which looks like 3, but whatever). Caller ID is set to e-mail. FaceTime appears to be set up the same way.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Yeah, same Apple ID. Phone has iMessage toggled on and is "receiving at" 2 addresses—my Apple ID, my phone number, and my e-mail address (which looks like 3, but whatever). Caller ID is set to e-mail. FaceTime appears to be set up the same way.

Started working for some reasonʔ cool

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I occasionally (very infrequently) have issues where my pop-up folders in the Dock stop working correctly (files aren't draggable) and some of my folder Services (is this the right term? Automator scripts that show up when you right-click files) disappear. Killalling Finder/Dock don't work, any ideas? (I'm sure I could restart but my computer's busy right now)

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I occasionally (very infrequently) have issues where my pop-up folders in the Dock stop working correctly (files aren't draggable) and some of my folder Services (is this the right term? Automator scripts that show up when you right-click files) disappear. Killalling Finder/Dock don't work, any ideas? (I'm sure I could restart but my computer's busy right now)

Well, now this has happened a few days in a row. Any thoughts?

This is what the pop-up folder looks like when I try to drag a file out of it. The highlighted blue background will slide up and down with the mouse, but only opens the file originally selected.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Does anyone know some free slideshow generator that would let me throw in a super long fade between images? Just throw it a directory and have it go. Need it for a performance in a few hours so I appreciate your timely answers!

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

A question that may not be answerable for another 18 hours: If I download ML to upgrade my mid-2009 MBP from Lion, would something in that download be capable of upgrading my wife's early-2009 Leopard MBP?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I'm running an Optibay-like setup. What would be the most efficient way of doing a clean install on both drives? I cloned'em both last night and I'd like a fresh start to see if some persistent annoyances and clutter will go away.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Can you control which calendars show in the Notification Center? I like having a bunch of calendars in the app, but I don't need to see them all as notifications (especially if it won't tell me which event is on which calendar).

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I've been having a recurring problem since 10.7—my Dock somehow loses the ability to drag items (apps or files), although right-clicking and launching seem to work as expected. People online with similar problems are told to trash the dock .plist and restart, but a simple restart always fixes it for me (and lets me keep my Dock sorted the way I want). Trashing the .plist and killing Dock does not work.

I've got an Optibay-like setup where my user directory resides on a different HD than the OS. Would there be any other plists hiding anywhere I should check out?

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 30, 2012

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I did a clean install on both my drives for ML—the only things I brought over from my CCC'd backup were some fonts and my MP3s (I thinK?). I'm not using any weird apps, and I'm the only user on this MBP.

I know a standard approach is seeing if it happens with a new user, but since a restart always fixes it for me I'm not sure if that applies here.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Is the Spotlight icon a bit smaller? It doesn't feel like it extends all the way to the exact corner (if you remove Notifications with Bartender)

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Some pages in Chrome consistently give me an error chime when I navigate between tabs (keyboard shortcuts or BTT). The behavior's "consistent" in that if i navigate back and forth, I get errors, although the same site may be fine the next time I load it. Any idea what could be erroring?

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 24, 2012

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Some pages in Chrome consistently give me an error chime when I navigate between tabs (keyboard shortcuts or BTT). The behavior's "consistent" in that if i navigate back and forth, I get errors, although the same site may be fine the next time I load it. Any idea what could be erroring?

Well, the little Facebook chat popup seems to do it when it has "focus". Hm.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Does the text input area in Messages show at a slightly smaller size or something? The spacing feels cramped to me.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

strokevictim posted:

Smaller than iChat? Seems about the same to me - too small. That it's un-resizable is irritating. But I continue to use it anyway... <sigh>

Sorry—I meant smaller than the message display area. Once I see them sent or received, it looks a little better, but the input area is cramped.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I'm getting silent crashes in Chrome (no warning, no Console log). Seems almost like a quit. Running the Beta, I think (25.0.1364)—anyone else having issues? Seems to happen with keyboard input (perhaps shortcuts?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I'm getting silent crashes in Chrome (no warning, no Console log). Seems almost like a quit. Running the Beta, I think (25.0.1364)—anyone else having issues? Seems to happen with keyboard input (perhaps shortcuts?)

Still having this problem! Seems like it was annoying a few other people—any fixes out there?