Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
How do you guys keep your Gcal and iCal synced? I mainly use iCal because I can mark the various events under "work", "home", "parties" and so on, and I would like to sync those to Gcal for when I'm not using my MacBook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Are you on Lion? Just add your Google account and turn on Calendars.

If you're on Snow Leopard, you can still accomplish this, I think, but I don't remember how. Check out Google Sync, maybe?

Ah, sweet, they fixed this in Lion!

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Why do certain .avi files need to be played in Quicktime 7 even though I have Quicktime X?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Do you have Perian installed?

Yup, fully updated. And it happens to brand new .avi files as well.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
How do you open ports in Lion?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
A couple of days ago when starting up my MacBook Pro (late-2008, 15"), the shift key was suddenly stuck. Therefore it constantly boots in safe mode and I can't log in because I use lower case letters in my password. I can override it by plugging in a USB keyboard, but as soon as I touch the MacBook's keyboard, the shift key is stuck again.

When I look at the Keyboard Viewer (I'm not sure that's what it's called in English, but I mean the graphic display of your keyboard that shows which buttons are being pressed) I can see that it's the left shift key that's the problem. When I write on the USB keyboard it isn't pressed down, but when I jump back on the MacBook keyboard, it gets stuck.

It's out of warranty but I googled the problem and noticed a couple of other people have had the same issue with the same model as mine. I'm gonna call Apple on Monday and check if they've heard of it, but has anyone here experienced the same thing?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

TACD posted:

Does it do this even if you pop the keycap off? There's no crud under there or anything?

I actually haven't - I popped off the Caps Lock key since I initially thought that was the issue, but I'll try the shift key.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

What's the recommended Mac RSS app? I'm thinking of picking up Reeder right now as it's what I use on my iPhone.

I use https://www.feedly.com - recommended if you want something a bit more visual.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

8ender posted:

There are a lot but the biggest is expandability. A FreeNAS server can be anything you want it to be. With ZFS as the filesystem you can just shovel drives into it and purpose them as Time Machine backup shares, storage, etc and have some sweet redundancy with RAIDZ. Its also fast as hell over Gigabit ethernet or 802.11n.

We used to have this weird collection of external drives, desktops with shared drives, etc before. This mess of stuff was to get two laptops plus a Mac Pro backed up as well as to store media. Now its all gone and we just have one little server humming away in a closet with about 4TB of storage shared between backups and media. It just happily does its job all day long and the speed feels like an internal drive.

Wait, so let me get this straight, I can plug in a normal USB HDD with FreeNAS installed on it to my router and then back up wirelessly via Time Machine? Is that basically how it works?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
What is the best legal way for me to acquire a Windows 7 ISO? My sister needs to run a program on her MacBook Air that's not available for OS X, and you can't yet run Windows 8 in Boot Camp which is the only Windows version Microsoft is currently selling on their site.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Also what program? Windows 8 runs fine in parallels/VMware as well. Going into boot camp for one program seems like a little much. Also sometimes Wine can be a decent alternative for something with a smaller hd (most MacBook airs)

THANK YOU! I completely forgot about the existence of Wine - that worked perfectly :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Would it be worth upgrading to Mavericks on my late-2008 MacBook Pro once it drops or would it get too sluggish running it? Planning on throwing in an SSD soon, if that makes a difference.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

SRQ posted:

Mavericks is faster then 10.8 and as a bonus can give even legacy macs a small boost to battery lifetime.
So ye, drop the 20 ducats when it drops.

Great, thanks! When is it expected to be released?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Copying from the iOS app thread:

I've never seen anyone mention Dashlane during this whole Heartbleed scare, but for my money it's the best password manager out there. Nice design, free the first six months (if you share the app on social media or something like that and after that it's only 30 dollars a year), great browser extensions and the best iOS password manager app I've tried. Give it a shot: https://www.dashlane.com/

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

pipes! posted:

CrashPlan is a little overkill for most backup situations and it's interface leaves a lot to be desired compared to Backblaze, but it's ability to restore a file from a specific point in time has saved my rear end enough times that it's paid for itself just in terms of sheer saved anguish.

FWIW, the interface of CrashPlan is supposed to be updated soon - I wrote them about it some months ago because I felt the app design didn't really live up to their website.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

They've literally been saying that for years. Or did they actually give you an ETA?

Haha, poo poo - nope, they didn't give me an ETA.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Even though I don't have any invites anymore in my calendar after deleting some old work calendars, the red badge still shows that I have 14. Any fix?

EDIT: Welp, it disappeared.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 27, 2014

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
If you haven't gotten a password manager yet (and you really should), you can get six months free Dashlane Premium (and I can, too :) ) if you use my referral link: https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/3bb0463c

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

binarysmurf posted:

Thanks for this - I just got 6 months free premium. I hope you do too. :)

I did, thanks :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Roobsa posted:

Used this as well. Did you get another 6 months of premium? Cheers for posting the link.

I sure did, thanks man (and thanks everyone else who used it, I got premium until January 2018 now, haha) :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone have experience with this app? http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is anyone getting an "Unable to Connect to Dropbox" error message when they try to log in to the Mailbox desktop app?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Which backup/cloud solution do you guys use for your photos? I used to have over 20 GB of space in my Dropbox because of some Space Race promotion, but that was apparently a limited deal. Now I'm back at 8 GB with no way near enough room for all the photos I had backed up there.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are you looking to keep it free? Short of keeping scumming referals and offers I don't think there's that many options. Paying for cloud isn't too bad now. Dropbox isn't bad ($9.99/month for 1TB). If you're willing to wait for Photos to come out and keep your poo poo in the iCloud Photo Library, the prices for that aren't that bad either (I jumped on the $3.99/month for 200GB tier which more than covers my library). Google Drive has a 100GB options for $1.99 if you're looking for an in between. I jumped on the Photos public beta to make the switch. My connection is poo poo and it IS a public beta so I can't actually tell when my library is going finish uploading (probably another 3 days) but I'll post better impressions then.

I'm actually on a Windows laptop right now (my six-year-old MacBook broke and I got this one for 60 bucks), but I expect I would use the new Photos app for managing my photos once I get around to buying a new MacBook. I don't mind paying a bit, but right now I don't need more than 20 GB or so. Can I add the photos from my Dropbox to the iCloud Photo library now or do I need a MacBook for that?

EDIT: Found out I have an extra 100 GB for a year on OneDrive, so just gonna stash all my photos there for now :)

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 10, 2015

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

I use Picturelife (referral link) for visual-based photo storage and then redundantly backup everything including photos with CrashPlan.

I already had an account on Picturelife, so no extra MB for you, sorry, but thanks for reminding me about it :) . If I make edits on some photos wherever, do those edits get synced with Picturelife?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Are you stuck on the beta software "track" if you download the El Capitan GM now rather than being patient and wait 15 days?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Mailbox users who are upgraded to the newest version (0.7.6): Do you have a problem seeing pictures in mails, too? Most of them don't load and are replaced by a blue box with a question mark in my app.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

enojy posted:

Sheesh, 1password for iOS is free, but on OSX it's Fifty loving Dollars? I think I'll just stick to manually generating new passwords a couple of times a year...

I'm using Dashlane for my password managing needs and I love it (as much as you can love a password manager). If you wanna give it a go, feel free to use my referral code for 6 months free Premium (I get 6 months extra that way, too :) ): https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/3bb0463c

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
What's the best app for converting MKV's to MP4 so I can watch movies on my PS3? There's a ton of Free MK4toPS3 Ultimate XL Converter (FREE!) apps in the App Store and I don't really feel like installing all of them to find out.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I read over in the hardware megathread that Crashplan had just upgraded their desktop app to 5.0, but I'm still stuck on 4.something and I can't seem to find any way to update it in the app. Does anyone know how to upgrade?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Dropbox is shutting Mailbox down (and Carousel, too, but that's just iOS): https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2015/12/saying-goodbye-to-carousel-and-mailbox/

Sucks. I prefer Outlook for my iOS mail app, but on the desktop I was really glad for Mailbox. What do you guys use for a desktop mail app?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

What kind of format do I need to make a 2tb drive usable by larger files? I don't care if it can't be read on PCs but I have a bunch of Final Cut projects that I need backed up to this drive.
I use Thunderbird, and it's always treated me well.

Can you snooze e-mails? It's really a functionality I can't live without now

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
If anyone is still clinging to Mailbox, check out https://polymail.io - it looks very similar and most importantly (for me, at least) you can long-swipe to delete instead of only being able to archive.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

binarysmurf posted:

Spark seems to find it's way back on to my iPhone despite trying other clients. It's also a bit like Mailbox on steriods. Looking forward to the Mac app. :)

Does Spark have the option of only sending push notifications when you receive "important" mails like Outlook?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Sunrise (the calendar app) is shutting down in a week - what are you guys using at the moment? I'm using Outlook on iOS since MS bought the Sunrise team and it's pretty much the same experience now, but there's nothing similar to it on OS X.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Has anyone experienced issues with not being able to send iMessages to certain people on their Macs, but if you write to them on your iPhone it works just fine? I can't seem to figure out why this only happens with some contacts.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Violator posted:

Are those contacts that don’t work using Android (green bubbles)?

No, I can send them iMessages on my iPhone without any issues, but it's only happening with certain contacts and I can't really find any rhyme or reason to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Violator posted:

I had the same issue, but it was because the people I was trying to send to were on Android. Worked fine from my iPhone but I couldn’t send to them from my Mac. It had something to do with SMS connection between my devices and I had to redo the Settings -> Messages -> Devices (on iOS) and I think also checked the config in Messages on Mac.

If it’s truly random people I’m not sure what’s up but you might try turning those settings off and on again?

They are all on iPhones, so that's why iMessage works when I send from my phone, but strangely enough not from my Mac.