Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The new automator can make little pop up websites.

I currently use Fluid to put the mobile versions of google calendar and google tasks in my menubar. This looks like it might be even nicer, and a little snappier too. Very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

King of all Machines Operate posted:

What happened to the status bar at the bottom of finder windows that showed how much free disk space there was? Is there another way to quickly check how much free space there is?

You can bring it back. I think it's the view menu somewhere.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
The backwards scroll thing is OK with me - it's oddly not that hard to get used to. But I don't think it's very well implemented. They seem to have just reversed the directions from the mouse itself. Try zooming in on a google map. Why would pulling back zoom in?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

modig posted:

I installed Reeder on my MBA and my iPhone, and it seems pretty sweet. I didn't even know about Readability, but Reeder uses it and it is nice. My only complaint so far is on the Mac version. I have it set up full screen, with two columns on the left not taking up much space. The text is on the right, and it doesn't use up it's space well. The text remains narrow, and there is a bunch of empty space on the right and left of the text. Does anybody know how to change that, to make it use more of that space?

I don't use Reeder and I don't know how it works with Readability, so I can't say for sure. But I believe Readability lets you decide how big you want your columns to be. If that's tapping into your Readability account, you might want to play with the Readability settings.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Gold and a Pager posted:

Ever since I installed Lion, my cursor will "stick" to windows, so like if I have VLC open and then I want to click on an open Firefox window, instead of bringing Firefox to the front, it moves the VLC window to where I clicked. I looked under my trackpad preferences (have a 2007 macbook) and it didn't seem like there was some sort of "click lock" setting.

Am I missing something?

Are you using BetterTouchTool? I think this is a known issue with BTT and a few applications, including VLC. It happens to me with VLC, too. There's a checkbox in the BTT preferences that's supposed to fix it, but that was making it buggier, so I turned it off.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Petey posted:

Does Quicktime Player 7 still exist / work in Lion?

Yup. I think it's buried in some application package somewhere, but I can still right-click on a file and open it with Quicktime 7.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I love fullscreen simply because it moves an App into its own space.

And isn't that the default key mapping? I have ctrl-up mapped to Mission Control and ctrl-down mapped to All Window Exposé.

And yeah, disappearing scrollbars aren't my cup of tea. Scrollbars provide an important sense of context in large documents and data sets :(

I'm just annoyed about how the disappearing scrollbars cover up the last line in every window when you scroll down.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I don't have an opinion on duplicate, but a few months before Lion came out, I was talking with someone about what an awkward phrase and function "save as" was. If you didn't know anything about it, the words "save as" don't really tell you what it will do in plain english. It felt like a holdover from the 90s.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

lord funk posted:

It's just like Lion :iceburn:

I know this is from pages back, but I regularly open spotlight and search for SimpleText.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
So the latest iTunes broke iConcertCal, my favorite plugin. It scans your iTunes library and shows you concerts coming up in your area. Are there any alternatives that work on Lion?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

Why sparrow? Since I'm on gmail, I feel like I already have two good options already, the gmail website and mail.app. What about sparrow makes you recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Jesus, this conversation again?

And the main problem with charging for growl is that now it makes less sense for developers to build it into their apps. It's one thing to tell people "for notifications get this free program," and another for developers to tell people "for notifications buy this other software." Seems like a lot of developers will choose to make their own notifications.