Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

TheQat posted:

Is there a good gif-making program for OS X similar to ScreenToGif for Windows?

I've used Gifrocket, but haven't really stressed it. I don't think it does screen recording, only the conversion -- I used QuickTime Player for the recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shaocaholica posted:

What software should I use to play Blu-ray movies on my Mac? I already have the drive.

FWIW, http://www.macblurayplayer.com/ is working fine for me so far. I'm using it with the Samsung SE-506CB drive. I haven't used it much yet, but I'll drop it here as a data point and maybe more people will have some other comments.

One niggle I noticed when playing the first few minutes of The Castle of Cagliostro is that there were two subtitle tracks labelled "English". Maybe one of those is English for the hearing impaired, or some other variant... anyway some sort of descriptive metadata is being dropped there. Some quick googling seems to show this is a common issue with movie player software.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
A couple of tricks I'm familiar with:

If you hold down the maximize button on a window instead of just clicking it, you can drop it into the left or right half of the screen (rather than taking up the whole screen). Then the other windows from the same space will be shown to you in mini form and you can click on one of them to have it take up the other half.

(Harder to describe than to do.)

Also if you have some window currently fullscreened, you can drag a window from some other space into that fullscreen space and drop it on the left or right. The currently fullscreened window will shrink to take up just the other half.

Those are the only built-in things I know about. If you want something more than just the left/right half split then you may need something like https://manytricks.com/moom/

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Luceo posted:

Same here. I'm curious where this "thread consensus" came from.

Yah ditto. I'm using the current Fusion but admittedly not really stressing it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
macOS is kind of in a weird spot because there is a screen-top menu bar (and potentially open menus from that, with key shortcuts) that is related to the foreground window. Trying to send keystrokes to other windows interacts with that in weird ways.

I remember reading a good "down the rabbit hole ... to hell" sort of blog post by a Mac developer trying to "fix" that behavior a while back, but I can't immediately put my hands on it now.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

tuyop posted:

I was getting freaked out by the constant need to use sudo with it

Hmm? That's weird. Did you install it like this: https://docs.brew.sh/Installation

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Anton Chigurh posted:

With the news the upcoming 1Password 8 won't allow local storage of the password database

Well, crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I don't know about OldSenileGuy, but one aspect of being able to get 1Password updates is that its Chrome extension will be able to recognize/verify recent versions of Chrome (otherwise the extension doesn't work).

I'm still using the bought-outright version myself, but mostly just on my Android phone and on Linux via wine, where it doesn't seem to care about verifying the browser and the extension still works.