Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm starting to get some "You should clean your mac from junk. mackeeperapp.zeobit.com" popups while I'm browsing the forums, is this happening for anyone else? It's definitely in safari, not sure if it's limited to the forums but it is coming up when I load new threads. The window is trying very hard to look like a system window, so it's not like a regular kind of popup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Having some severe issues with my computer and I need to get it fixed ASAP. Last night while my Mac Pro 1,1 was supposed to be asleep, it just decided to restart.

I checked it this AM and instead of 6GB RAM it had the 2GB that came with it. I pulled out the machine, dusted it out and re-seated the RAM, it says 6GB now.

But Final Cut Pro will not play any HD video anymore. It just stops immediately, plays 2 frames and stops. I'm in the middle of a couple of really big projects and I just cannot have this happen. I ran Tech Tool Deluxe and it said there's no problem, I ran permissions repair, I just can't figure out why last night the computer was fine, restarted overnight, and now will not play HD video in Final Cut. Could something have happened to my machine? I was just editing this stuff last night and it was fine, woke up and now it's all hosed.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

My wired keyboard will ignore caps lock if you press it too fast. My normal typing is enough to consistently trigger it when I want it, but I can recreate it by tapping it especially quickly.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

This seems to be a good place to ask - can I broadcast to more than one Airport Express at the same time? I want to set up a system where I can take one mac mini and have it send music out via mini jack and to two airport expresses. It'd be great to do this via one computer in iTunes so we can use an iPhone to stop/start the music.

I've only got one here with me to test, but I need to go out to multiple sources at once.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Do I have to have Lion installed to enable Photo Stream on iPhoto? I'm still on Snow Leopard, as some of my software won't run in Lion.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone use Thunderbird for their email? I switched over to it from Mail about a year ago, and it was working fine for a while but now it crashes every time I try to restart my computer or shut it down. Essentially it hangs on quitting the program and then ends the logout so I have to manually quit it and restart. It makes me wonder if it's having any other detrimental effects to my system while it's running.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So I took a bunch of HDR pics last night,they looked fine on the phone when I took the photo but when I imported to iPhoto this happened:

Does anyone know wtf happened? Was it my phone or iPhoto that hosed them up? It deleted the photos after importing so the originals are gone :(

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah phone is a new 4S. I have MOST of last night's photos in photostream. Up until about 2am or so.

I pulled one of the photos from the photostream:

So it looks like the photo itself was OK. But all of my shots (and all my video footage from last night) came out hosed up on import.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I need to find and set up a macbook for my mum. I live in San Francisco and I can only afford to visit her once a year. She lives in England and is not at all technical so I'm hoping for suggestions on some applications to help me be able to fix any computer problems from here instead of dealing with them by phone. I'd essentially purchase it, set it up with her accounts and then mail it off to her.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Can someone tell me how to move my iTunes library from one hard drive to another and preserve my playcount and meta data? I've been trying different how-tos on the internet and none of them work.

I'm using iTunes to manage my music files. Right now my library is pointed at an iTunes folder on one hard drive, but I want to remove that hard drive, so I want it to be on another drive.

Originally I copied the iTunes folder to the new hard drive, then in iTunes preferences changed the library to point to the new location, shut down iTunes, unmounted the old drive and restarted it. Couldn't find anything.

Then I tried "Consolidate Library" and that didn't work either. It either tells me it's copied everything over and nothing works, or it just tells me it can't find the files at all and gives up.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So I just bought an SSD for my computer, a Mac Pro 1,1. It's installed and working fine, but I need to figure out how to migrate over to it. I have a number of issues - first is that I want to have access to Snow Leopard, which is my current OS, as I need to use that for Pro Tools. The second is that I don't have a DVD drive, or my copy of Snow Leopard (with me, I might be able to find it at my old apartment but I'm pretty sure it's not with me). I do have a powerbook that has a working DVD drive.

Would it be possible to purchase and download Lion or the new Lion and install that to the SSD, use that as my main OS, and keep snow leopard on this current drive in case I wind up needing to boot into SL to recover some Pro Tools sessions? Or would it be better to copy my system folder over to the SSD or something?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Is there a reason you want to use (Mountain) Lion? If not, you can just clone the old drive to the new SSD in it's entirety (assuming it fits) and be done with it.

Otherwise, use the App Store in SL to buy/download Mountain Lion (you may have to do Lion first then upgrade to ML later, I dunno) and then install it to the SSD when it reboots into the installer. Then when you boot from your new SSD, you can let Migration Assistant copy your poo poo from your other drive for you.

Either method will leave your other drive intact in case something fucks up and/or you need to boot into SL still.

My current drive is 1TB but my SSD is 200GB, is there a list of folders and such I could copy just to move the OS over, since the entire thing won't fit? I'd be just as happy sticking to SL instead of moving to ML

EDIT: Welp, the App Store won't let me buy Mountain Lion anyway as it's incompatible with my Mac Pro 1,1, which I guess just leaves Snow Leopard as my only option.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2013

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

OK I got the SSD running, cloned my system drive to it and I'm running in it now, which is awesome. Last couple questions:

I have about 100GB in /Library/caches and ~/Library/caches - Can I delete these? The internet says yes but I just want to double check for sure in case something's changed lately.

Also, on my old drive (1TB), I had my desktop, music, pictures etc folders in users/myaccount/desktop, etc. I want to drag these to the root directory and then create aliases so I can replace the folders in my SSD user home directory with those aliases. But finder insists on copying the folders to the root instead of moving them, but I don't have enough free space to copy them. Is there something funky going on?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Well that's what he said, so I really hope that's what he means. And yes, it's a permissions issue, as I noted. But after he moves them he wants to delete the system-supplied folders from his new user account on the SSD and replace those with aliases to the folders on his old drive. That's just a bad idea (particularly if he's going to do this to ~/Library) unless he's skilled enough to deal with permissions issues and other potential problems, which it seems he isn't.

I found out that trying to move my Desktop folder from /users/myaccount to the root of that drive would force a copy, but I could move the major project folders from the desktop folder to the root and they would move just fine, so I went with that and created aliases to those folders on my SSD desktop. Thanks for the help!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I have an issue with the calendar on my phone and on my computer, so I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but hopefully this can be fixed here.

I've got Snow Leopard and I use iCal, and I use Calendar on my phone, but I use Google Calendar to sync between iCal and the iPhone. The phone is set to sync over-the-air, and iCal is pointed at my Google Calendar account. However, the problem is that I have two of every event in iCal, and on top of that, it ALWAYS sets alarms for everything, even though I keep setting it to not do so. Is there a way to fix this? I looked into the phone's sync options and I don't see anything for turning this off, but I'm not sure *why* it's creating two of every event, or how to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

You're right, it was a Google setting. Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the duplicates and I'm solid.