Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There must be a ton of recent switchers, because that question's been asked more times in the last week than in the entire previous year.

Don't worry about antivirus. Don't put your user password into any installers you don't recognize and you're good.

I was probably the last person I'd every thought would switch to a Mac. I've been a windows developer since 1994. In my current company I'm in a leadership position and half of the company uses Macs (designer, UX people) so when it came time for me to get a machine I abused my authority a little and got a loaded MacBook Pro.

This is the most amazing machine I've ever owned. OSX Lion was a great place for me to jump into Mac as I had no problems getting used to the gestures. I use the newest Parallels to run windows which is amazing since I can have a Visual Studio window floating around along side my Mac windows. I think Lion is more productive for business than 7, and Windows 8 looks like a UI nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but Parallels (latest version) does not run under Mountain Lion. I had to boot camp into my windows partition to get some work done and now I hate life.

Has anyone gotten VMWare Fusion to work in Mountain Lion?

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

fleshweasel posted:

Maybe you should try not running a developer preview on your main computer that you do work on.

While I agree in principle, my work is development so I did need to install the developer preview on that particular machine...

That said, I'd still like to run VMs on that particular machine if possible to see how a few things perform / work together.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Can someone recommend a good book for learning Lion? I'm hardcore and have been doing windows dev for 20 years and I want to learn the internals of how lion works.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are exactly the kinds of books I'm looking for. I really want to get into the guts of osx and find out how it works... How to break it and how to put it back together.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
I am so sick of Outlook 2011.

I really like Sparrow for mail, but I can't scheduling meetings which is a deal killer for me. Are there any alternative exchange clients that support shared calendars and scheduling that doesn't suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
I really want to kick Outlook 2011 to the curb, but the problem is that I need the ability to send meeting requests. Is there a replacement, something like sparrow or mail.app, that would support the ability to schedule meetings and view availability like Outlook? We use Office365 for email and calendars.