Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xilni posted:

Another vote in favor of LastPass, and while you don't need premium to use it from your phone (you can just log into the lastpass.com site and copy paste your password out) it's worth it.

Now that they've got TouchID support in the mobile app it's entirely worth spending $12 a year for the extra features.

Also there are various specials every once in a while that allow you to get it for even cheaper, the only permanent one that I can think of is the Student discount (6 months free premium).

I'm sticking with 1password but I'm just waiting for them to come up with another excuse to make me pay $15 ($30+ I think for OSX/Windows?) for an up-to-date app to support new hardware features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

With MacBooks though, a lot of people tend to leave them in one spot, plugged into the wall or docking stations for extended periods of time, etc. However, leaving a MacBook plugged in like that also means the battery is kept charged to 100% all the time, which isn't very good for keeping it healthy over long stretches of being plugged in.

Are Macbooks unique in not managing battery health by letting the battery discharge by small amounts when plugged in and charged to full? Pretty bad oversight IMO, even my cheapass Lenovo didn't do that!

(stop janitoring your batteries on modern devices)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kingnothing posted:

That usage doesn't damage the battery, but it does count towards your charge cycles. When apple decides if your battery is failing or consumed (IE if you pay or not), they go specifically by charge cycles.

Going from 100% to 90% and then back up to 100% is 1/10 of a charge cycle, in case anyone's worried.

quote:

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could use your notebook for an hour or more one day, using half its charge, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so it may take several days to complete a cycle.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1519

Lots of people use laptops as their primary computer these days, and most of the time they're going to be left on the charger. It's 2014, stop worrying about this poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any of you try Synergy with a Windows 8.1 host (wired) and an OSX 10.10 client (wifi) lately? I just tried it tonight and encountered a really awful bug where if you leave the keyboard or mouse inactive for a couple seconds there's a ~1s delay in using either of them on the client device. I saw a couple people reporting the issue on github but the developer closed their reports without offering any kind of solution.

One example: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/3807

I also tried ShareMouse and experienced the same thing. Is there some kind of sleep mode on the Macbook that could be causing this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

I'll have to dig it up, but I had to make some registry changes on Win 8.1 for the sleep issue there.

Also, make your Mac the server. I had nothing but problems the other way around. I do that with my rMBP and have zero issues.

Thanks for the help, I'd appreciate it if you could find those registry changes because it's not really feasible to have the MBP be the server in my situation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

Found it in a txt doc. Not 100% this will fix your issue. For reference I'm running 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Try this. Since you're using it as a server, I made a change from client to server. I *think* I found it originally on the dev's GitHub as a bug report.

You'll probably have to bounce the service after you do that.

Thanks! I did confirm that running the server on the Mac and the client on the 8.1 PC fixes the problem like you said it probably would, which is too bad because I don't want to swap the keyboard and mouse permanently to the Mac. I'll take the issue up with their forums.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 31, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tippis posted:

If you say so. Can't say that I've noticed that happening, though.

well, perception is reality after all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Somebody finally found a solution to my problems running Synergy with a Windows server and an OS X client and experiencing lag after letting the cursor/keyboard sit for a second or two, if anyone's interested:

https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/4132

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

Are you using OS X as the server or the client? I run mine as the server and never run across that issue.

That, being said. Fix your loving network stack, Apple.

Windows server, OS X client. Running OS X as the server also fixes the problem, but it's not practical for my setup.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can't get Parallels or VMWare to run without disabling System Integrity Protection using the "csrutil disable" command. I saw the "Allow" prompt pop up in Security & Privacy once and made sure to click on it, but I was never able to successfully run either program. I've uninstalled/reinstalled manually several times, and installing with SIP disabled and then reenabling it doesn't help. Have any of you guys run into this issue?

macOS 10.13.6

VMWare: 10.1.3
Parallels: 14.0.1

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pivo posted:

Not me but it might help others help you if you let them know which version of macOS and which version of VMWare and Parallels.

SIP and how these products interact with it has changed over the years but I don't personally use them so I can't say exactly how.

Ok, I added that info to my original post. I have the latest version of all of them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I suppose I might try reinstalling macOS because reinstalling the app never brought the prompt back.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I was going to comment about this being super weird, because I thought that SIP just write-protected /System. VMWare (probably Parallels too) doesn't alter /System anymore, but I looked things up and apparently KEXT signing is considered to be part of SIP too. They're still using KEXTs, they just leave them inside their application bundles, so signing is a very obvious possible reason why SIP makes a difference here.

One reason to try is this handwavy guess: maybe your current install has damaged signing data, so even when signed, third party KEXTs can't load.

Looks like a reinstall did the trick. The process wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - to used to Windows, I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Housh posted:

Is there a macOS app like Desk chat on Win10? Basically an application wrapper for the Facebook messenger website.

Thanks for the Desk chat recommendation. I had been using the official app which was inexplicably 500mb and slow as poo poo and this is way better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eames posted:

OTOH the streaming/gaming market will become just as fragmented as the other media services. Blizzard/Activision already forbids remote streaming their games in the terms of service (bannable offense, though streaming from your own devices is ok), probably because they will offer it as a service in the future.

They... they feel threatened by the idea of people charging others to stream Blizzard games from their home computers?

I want to run a black market streaming farm

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like Atom a lot and it seems to have nice plugins

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pumprag posted:

What? My stock mail app handles six accounts just fine across two devices.

Pretty sure it has a unified inbox, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just bought Office Home and Business 2019 through the Home Use Program and Word doesn't have the fancy new focus mode. What's the big idea!?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

101 posted:

1Password continues to be a wonderful application and I'm happy that I can use it on any platform I want while supporting ongoing development (and it's own sync service)

Speaking of which, they're giving out a free first year of subscription so if anyone's interested just PM me your email address

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 22, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Please shout this from roof tops.

I’m going to get my dad on this because I’m tired of dealing with all his password bullshit.

He’s also getting his first Mac after being a dos/windows user since the beginning of time. (This should be fun)

I tried to do this with my mom and LastPass but she ended up creating a hundred copies of each site each with their own password and it didn't solve her problem at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kind of struggling to think of what a save icon would be if not a floppy

None of my open apps have an icon and that's no fun at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

God I knew this poo poo was bad when I was 12 years old. Why did people think putting a blurry-textured physical recreations of objects on screen was better than just some well designed GUI options in the 90's? Ugh it makes me angry just to look at.

It was bad back then and it was bad when they tried to bring it back in iOS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pivo posted:

I personally abhor the idea of perpetually paying a subscription fee to use a password manager, like it keeps you hostage. Also it makes a lot of sense to keep your vault files on Dropbox and manually handle backups yourself. You probably have cloud storage somewhere already -- why do you need to perpetually pay a fee for hundreds of kB of their cloud storage? It makes no sense.

To purchase a standalone license, download 1Password. When it asks you to license it, there will be small text that says "Need a license? We have those too."

That being said - if a subscription works for you and you feel strongly about it, whatever, you do you. I've been posting about hating most software subscriptions in every thread that it comes up. IMO you have to evaluate each on their value that it adds, and for software like a password manager, I don't believe it adds any and instead is a liability.

Oh my god I had no idea you could just buy a stand-alone license still

I have mixed feelings about 1Password. They handled some updates poorly, charging for new versions that cut major features. I had a Mac, Windows machine, and iPhone so I got to pay three times. When they transitioned to the subscription model they dropped the ball insanely hard on the Windows version of the app, which languished in some weird half-updated limbo state for a while. Until recently, it would lock up for entire minutes at a time because the app was single threaded and trying to do too much (this is per the developers).

Still, I think it’s the best manager out there. For all its faults it truly does make security across hundreds of accounts a breeze.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Homebrew 2.0 is out? With support for Windows 10 ?

https://brew.sh/2019/02/02/homebrew-2.0.0/

What's Homebrew? Is it a package manager like apt or yum?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lambert posted:

When ripping CDs, I'm not going to settle for adequate quality. I'm ripping lossless. If you're happy with bad quality, go ahead. But please shut up about it.

Really, shut up about it.

Can you post anywhere without sounding like a huge stupid dick?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I run into issues with form fields in 1Password every once in a while. It’s usually the webmaster’s fault for not setting up their fields properly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Warbird posted:

I have a Ubuntu Server running some networked drives via Samba. Navigation via my Windows machines is as fast as needed, but my (2013) MBP doesn't seem to cache the contents of the drives and has to frequently pump the breaks to reevaluate the contents of larger folders. Are there any steps I can take to increase performance on either the server or Mac's end of things?

I see the same thing on my 2017 MBP and a share running on Debian. Folders show up empty for an entire 20-30 seconds before populating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Jesus that’s a lot of money. What was the justification? We really need to get out of this yearly subscription model to use software. For things like Adobe products I get it - a $10/mo subscription ‘feels’ like a better deal than shelling out for static versions that get limited updates and get you up and running cheaply... but some stuff just feels like an absolute gouge.

This makes sense from the perspective of a small developer but not from the perspective of a user who suddenly has to manage a dozen different subscriptions turning the sum of their software usage into an insanely expensive regular fee. Each developer will have a perfectly reasonable explanation for why this must be so because they only have to worry about their own piece and not the big picture.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there an unarchiver program that shows the contents of the archives and lets you extract specific files like 7zip and WinRAR work on Windows? For some reason every one I've tried really wants to just immediately extract everything to a folder. This is awful when you're dealing with things like massive rom sets where you only want to grab the Commodore 64 files or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dick Nipples posted:

I *think* you can do this with Keka. Not 100% sure though.

It doesn't seem to advertise the feature. I'm trying BetterZip right now and it seems to do what I want but for a steep cost at $25.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

Don’t these apps just extract everything temporarily and then copy out the stuff you want to remove from the zip volume, then delete the temporary extracted stuff? Like, essentially the same as extracting and deleting everything you don’t want?

I just tried it with 7-Zip on my Windows machine. Extracting a single ROM from a 3 GB N64 ROM set took 8 seconds while extracting everything took 60 seconds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

withak posted:

I can’t believe that you wasted 60 valuable seconds running this test.

There's nothing valuable about our time on earth, friend

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Noise cancelling AirPods would be cool. They’re worthless to me on airplanes and while mowing the lawn, and I don’t want to sweat all over my Bose headphones doing the latter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Hit the power button like 800 times to call 911?

Also you can record video without unlocking.

It only takes like 3 tries to call 911, which is coincidentally the minimum number of presses it takes for you to realize you're not pressing the volume button

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a good alternative to Mail? Preferably something that actually syncs in the background and doesn't constantly complain about connection problems to Gmail that clear up with a single click?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dick Nipples posted:

If you lose power though, prepare for recovery fun because SD cards aren’t really designed for that scenario.

I haven't had any issues like that with mine, and I'm a dumbass that constantly flips breakers off without making sure my sensitive computer bits are shut down. Would the software be doing any writes that aren't just log files?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even desktop users should be conscious of the environmental impact they have forcing CPU cycles against inefficient software. Have you considered greener messaging alternatives, like IRC?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

:eyepop:

ok you should stay on < catalina with all the other people without taste

it’s like the Apple Dock on meth

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Can I even buy Office anymore without some SaaS subscription that will leave me having spent a thousand dollars in the next 10 years?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nitsuga posted:

I think it’s only Office 365 these days.

It’s not. You can just buy Office 2019