Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

Sri.Theo posted:

Ak you're all too excited about your new shiny stuff, but I'm going to try again. Does anyone know if the new Mail/Address Book will work with Snow Leopard on a Dual Core MacBook?

No, new bundled apps never work with the old OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Gordon Cole posted:

Yeah, but doing so disables the fancy page navigation that you get with two fingers. Basically, they made it so that the new, better gesture navigation is mutually exclusive from the old navigation, and then only enabled it in three apps. It forces you to either only use gesture navigation in those apps or to not use the new navigation at all.

You can actually choose "Swipe with two or three fingers" for the swipe between pages gesture, which leaves both styles intact.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Scamander posted:

Boot camp drivers
You can just run Boot Camp Assistant in OS X again and have it download the drivers for you.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Mex posted:

Hmm, keeping his random stuff and homework is probably important, so we're probably going to look for a Snow Leopard disc or something so we can upgrade, thanks! =)

Buy an external hard drive while you're at it, so you can keep a backup.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

Hold down Command while clicking the search menu item.

This actually works for everything in Safari: searching from the Google bar, History, Top Sites, etc. I was far too excited to find this out.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

dolphins are gay posted:

I've had an idea that I think would make a really neat app/menubar tool. Basically, you hit a button and certain domain names are blocked from being accessed for a period of time. Does anything like this exist? Would this request be better in the 'tiny custom app' thread?

Yep! I used to use it all the time writing papers in university:

http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

TACD posted:

2) I'm tempted to get ReadKit to tie together all my reading from RSS and Instapaper (though thinking of moving to Pocket). Has anybody used this? It looks great but I'd love a goon testimonial.

I use ReadKit because there's nothing else on a Mac at the moment that will sync with Feedly. I'd say it's acceptable, but I don't love it. It has limited gesture support (I just want to be able to swipe to the next article!) and has a habit of crashing every once in a while, though this has gotten better through the last few bug fix updates. What's nice about it is that you can choose any font you like for the article view, and there are several color themes to pick from as well.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

tonic posted:

Has anyone completely ditched Flash on their Mac? Any regrets? CPU usage is killing me in Yosemite, I think it's time.

I have, and I really don't miss it. For the odd website that requires Flash, I keep Chrome around, since it has Flash built in, separate from the general Internet Plugins directory.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

I can vouch for VirtualBox—as of the last bug fix update, it works fine with Yosemite.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

This has been happening to me about once a day since the final release, but never happened during the betas. Delightful!

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Is Yosemite Mail causing anyone grief with Exchange accounts?

I've got two Exchange (one 2010, one 2013) accounts set up with two different companies, and just over the past week each one has started prompting me for a password randomly. It'll fail, work, fail, work, fail, work with no apparent rhyme or reason. I would understand it it worked worked worked and then never worked again (like it corrupted the password or something) but this is just maddening.

Yes—for me, it refuses to send outgoing mail on my Exchange account at random times. I've decided to just switch to Airmail, which works fine.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

There's a Reduce Transparency toggle in the Accessibility system preference pane. Have you looked there?

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

David Aames posted:

Anyone all of a sudden have the PLAY button stop working properly on their keyboard?

Now when I hit my PLAY keyboard button, iTunes launches? WTF?

I went into the keyboard section and my only options appear to disable my Function keys and/or have to hit FN if i want to use it as an F8 button.

Super annoying with Google Music open in a browser tab and wanting to pause a song and having iTunes launch. Any ideas why this is happening?

My play button doesn't work with iTunes at all anymore, even when it has focus. Yosemite!

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

I might be mistaken, but I think in the past I've just dragged and dropped folders in the sidebar.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

pipebomb posted:

Since we're talking nerd poo poo: does anyone use the Force touchpad function, and if so, how/what for?

I use it to look up words pretty often, since I read a lot of local news in French.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

If you miss the pop-up notification, you can go to Security and Privacy in System Preferences. It shows up there for some vague period of time afterwards.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

There's something similar for Safari too! Search for Flashlight in the Mac App Store.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Anything more specific? 'Flashlight' is broad and doesn't really show up anything pertinent to making Safari darker.

Oops, its "Nightlight for Safari."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

I have the same model and Monterey runs exactly like Big Sur (fine), so I'd just go ahead.