Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've had an idea that I think would make a really neat app/menubar tool. Basically, you hit a button and certain domain names are blocked from being accessed for a period of time. Does anything like this exist? Would this request be better in the 'tiny custom app' thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

sass menagerie posted:

Yep! I used to use it all the time writing papers in university:

http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/

this owns! thanks a lot

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've got an external Sound Card with a dial for the monitor levels, which is cool, but renders my Volume + / - buttons on the keyboard useless. Is there a way to bind them to the iTunes volume control?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Before upgrading to ML, I had run a terminal command so that my D-link NAS would allow for Time Machine backups ... since upgrading, I get a time machine error saying it can't start. Has anyone else experienced this?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lots of tech channels do 60fps youtube videos, they look a little unusual, but not necessarily bad. Terrible for actual cinema, though.

Speak of cinema, I wish there was a native netflix app for MacOSc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Can it do above 1080? 4k is happening! I imagine a native app could leverage hardware better than a browser.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone got some good examples of YouTube links that run at 60fps? Would be keen to try it on my TV, although I'll have to just presume it's feeding through the right frame rate as I don't have any way of monitoring that element. But I presume it will pick the best (I know it does with 4K at least).

Recent Linus Tech Tips videos, recent-ish AwesomeSauce Networks (terrible names) are at least 1080 / 60fps. Some are 4k I think, too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No insult intended to the dude switching, but going to Mac from Windows and expecting them to match up is kind of a mistake.

I also switched from a pretty boss PC to my MBP for a daily driver - initially I hated Finder too, but once you're used to it, it's equal to exlorer for most uses*. Spotlight is also about as good as Start.

*Except that merge / replace is bullshit.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

is there a way to hide .dsstore from my desk top? I need dotfiles visible for htaccess, gitignore etc but hate having dsstore in my face all the time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

thanks for the tip about Sierra. guessing that'll be out after October.

Desktop icons get shuffled into a dated folder and then into an archive. I delete the folders about once every 6 months. System works.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Have they done much to improve Siri's recognition since the 4s days? I barely used it then, as it seemed to hate accents. Hard to get pumped about it on mac.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Why not use google drive? I've got it setup w/ symlinks to sync certain dirs and it works quite well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's the best bet for running windows programs on a Mac (Explorer...) - parallels / vmware / vagrant? Bootcamp?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Games? Bootcamp.

General use? Parallels.

Don't give a gently caress about having the highest performance and don't want to spend $50 to run IE and your old pirated copy of Office 2007? VirtualBox

Looking into Bootcamp + Parallels. What's the rule of thumb for partition size. Have abour 120gb free on a 500gb ssd.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So, siri on the mac. Anyone found a good use for it yet?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hats off to Logitech, once again they're not ready for the latest MacOS launch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

found out yesterday you can move the screenshots dir to another location to stop polluting your desktop. I made a /screenshots/ dir and popped it into the dock so I can actually drag them into slack, email or whatever. It's a much nicer solution IMO.

Of course, it's a terminal command to change it, so most people won't ever really get the chance to enjoy it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think i used the commands in this article:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/change-screenshot-save-folder-mac/

code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/[name]/Documents/Screenshots/New\ Screenshots

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

iTunes being unreliable re: deleting all my poo poo is why I got spotify.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i don't use an iphone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Speak of browsers, is there a way to stop youtube / chrome from using up enough CPU to spin up my fans in a serious-sounding way?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Are you fuckers seriously defending Siri on Mac?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Can anyone recommend me a desktop client for Soundcloud? Ideally one that respects media keys like Spotify or iTunes does.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

This one is just a simple browser frame for the web site that supports media keys: https://soundcleod.com/

this works pretty well! thanks!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are there any simple video editing programs for Mac? My 11 year old wants to edit YouTube videos and will be getting a GoPro for Christmas. At least initially it'd be nice if she could use something simpler than iMovie and then maybe advance to FCP.

I don't mind teaching her to use those programs, but I'd like her to do as much as she can herself. I guess YouTube has a web interface for simple video edits, but I have no idea how that works.

iMovie would be perfect. FCPX is a bit more complex, but they share a lot of design / language. It's akin to Garageband > Logic in that way. FCPX is the pro version, iMovie is more than passable for a tween messing around.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is just simply not good enough. I'm sure they can handwave it away with 'it lasts all day! charge at night!' but that estimate is pretty key for a lot of people's workflows. This is a straight downgrade.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This whole 'twilight of MacOS' thing is really bumming me out. I'm sure there's years left in it, I just hope that Windows 11 or whatever is in a better place when it's time to jump ship.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In 10 years we almost certainly will. That's 2026. There'll probably still be MBPs from 2020 running at that stage. 15 or 20 years is a very different question.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want to record a small part of my screen as a .gif so I can dump them in slack or skype or whatever. What's the best way to do this?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is there a way to bind a mouse button to show Mission Control with the Spaces visible? I hate having to paw at the top of the screen to have them show. Actually, ideally I'd like a mouse button / modifier to switch spaces.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to get iTunes to keep better track of what podcasts I've listened to on my iPhone?

I've pretty much given up on listening to podcasts on my macbook and only use the iPhone, since it seems incapable of marking them played on the iPhone (or vice versa).

Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on a good podcast app? (Preferably something that's not locked into OSX since next laptop will be running Linux, because I am a masochist.)

pocketcasts is best-in-show and their web app isn't awful. costs a few bucks tho

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I occasionally have to edit SVG files - nothing crazy, generally just changing colours or sizing. Illustrator is way over the top, is there any free alternative?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yep, that works, thanks Pivo. Saved me a lot of time loving around with poo poo freeware.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I get why it costs money, but it is a bit sad to see products become services over time. I kinda miss owning stuff, rather than leasing it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Sierra, weird name but whatever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

VR, Star Wars games, you know, apple stuff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Either way, those graphics (if they are actually rendered on an iMac) are pretty great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

stickers UP FRONT

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

iOS is the sexting platform of choice starting now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

new boy siri sounds like every guy on kickstarter