Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

How do I add a js-bookmarklet to the Bookmarks Bar in Lion? :psyduck:

For example: http://translate.google.com/translate_tools
In SL I could just drag the link to the Bookmarks Bar, this doesn’t seem to work anymore.

//edit: Nevermind, it works just like it used to. Not sure why I couldn't drop it the first few tries, maybe I had a hidden dialog box open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Maggot Monster posted:

I feel like a grumpy old man. I hate the gestures, I hate the mission control bullshit, I hate how my 2x2 spaces grid is gone and most of all I SERIOUSLY loving HATE ICAL. Goddamn, get off my grass you youngster bastards.

I’m in the same boat. Loved spaces in SL (Expose not so much), now I’m just back to a single desktop.
And as for iCal… this leather/ripped paper interface has got to be a f’ing joke. I’m sure there will be resource hacks to restore sanity available on macthemes sooner or later.

eames
May 9, 2009

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet:

ClicktoPlugin 2.5.2 now supports Airplay, so you can send any HTML5 video (and most Flash videos) from Safari to your TV via an AppleTV.

This is a huge game changer for me, I love put on long TED Talks and Google Talks on my TV while browsing the net… with just a single click.

//edit: fixed version

eames fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 8, 2011

eames
May 9, 2009

KingEup posted:

Is it possible to add this feature to a program like mplayerx?

Theoretically yes, but I think most of the indie developers don’t want to tick off Apple by using the hack required to get Airplay running via third party apps. (apple doesn’t want third party apps to use the airplay protocol, but the private key encryption for it was reverse engineered a few months ago)

http://mafipulation.org/blagoblig/2011/04/08#shairport

otoh, it shouldn’t be too long until the official thing is released:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/11/steve-jobs-airplay-coming-safari-thirdparty-apps-2011

eames
May 9, 2009

Could someone please post the URL for the combo updater so I can kick off the download at home? (stuck in a meeting here)

eames
May 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Combo update URL? Found this URL on insanelymac, but it seems to be the real deal.

http://supportdownload.apple.com/do...Combo10.7.2.dmg

Worked, thanks for saving me a few hours.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m having some trouble with my iPhoto Library.

Some of the pictures in it are no longer displayed, it displays these grey boxes instead:

When I click the image for the full view, I get this:

Oddly enough I’ve browsed the iPhoto Library manually and all of the "missing" pictures in the library exist in the Masters folder.

I rebuilt the Library a few weeks ago but it didn’t change anything.

eames fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

I wonder if 10.8 will be another $25 upgrade or if they’ll make it free, just to spite Microsoft.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just updated to the latest nightly of Launchbar and it now has complete 1Password integration. sooo nice.

cmd-space, type first few letters of website, it loads and logs me in automatically. :holy:

Launchbar is really underrated in my opinion. It used to be a must-have but that kind of died down when Spotlight was released. People don’t realize that LB is sooo much more than spotlight.
The looks I get from my colleagues when I send them a resized picture of something within 3 seconds and without taking the hands off my keyboard are priceless. "Are you some kind of wizard?" :D

eames fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 15, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

kapalama posted:

For a different reason (when typing Japanese Spotlight, Quickilver, and GSB all require the romaji input to be resolved before launching, and LaunchBar grabs the text before the IME does so it is immediate, instead of a two step process), I have always paid for and used LaunchBar.

But because all I use it for is an app/doc launcher, I am clearly missing out.

So how to I resize something in three seconds? Or any other tricks?

There are two basic functions that really made Launchbar an essential program for me.

First: When you mark a file in the Finder and hold command-Space (or whatever your LB shortcut is), Launchbar will choose that file for you and wait for actions. This also works within a few apps like iPhoto.

Second: Once a file is selected in LB, you can press tab to perform actions on it.

In this case:

• click any image in iPhoto or on the Desktop
  • hold down your LB shortcut (in my case command-space) until LB pops up
  • type "res"
  • hit enter (50% is my default because I use it all the time)
  • press tab
  • type first name of email recipient if he’s in your contacts
  • enter
  • shift-cmd-D to send from Mail.app

The above workflow also works with multiple images in a folder, you can simply hold cmd-space on the folder, press right arrow, command-A, type "resize50", hit enter, etc.

Or flip, resize and rotate and send an image by chaining the steps with with tab:
Mark a file in the Finder/iPhoto/whatever, hold command space, type "resize33", enter, tab, type "rotatel", enter, tab, "fliph", enter, tab, type the name of the email recipient, enter

To upload via Transmit: click a file, hold cmd-space, type "trans", choose "Upload file in Transmit".

To shorten an URL: mark the whole URL in the address bar of this thread, press cmd-space, type "copytiny", press enter and you have the shortened URL of this thread in your clipboard.

To search wikipedia: cmd-space to open LB, type "wiki", press space, type what you are looking for, press enter. You can make custom templates for other sites that aren’t included, it’s really easy.

To manage your clipboard: cmd-space to open LB, type "clipb", press right-arrow, there it is.

To move files: click a folder on your desktop, hold cmd-space, tab, type destination folder ("docu" for ~/Documents, etc), press enter and either 1 to copy or 2 to move it there.

Some (or most) of these may sound confusing, but once I got used to the LB workflow, it completely changed the way I use my mac. I could go on and on with these examples and those are just the built-in functions excluding custom scripts and automator functions.

Lexicon posted:

How does Launchbar compare to QuickSilver or Alfred? This seems to be quite a crowded space.

Honestly… no idea. I have no experience with the other two apps.
I’ve used Launchbar since it’s very beginnings as Version 3.0 on Cheetah and feel seriously crippled whenever I have to use a mac that doesn’t have it installed. I thought Quicksilver is dead (looks like it is open source now?).

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, it shows up in my Appstore but I can’t download or buy it yet. Something about Error 100, item not available. DDoS'ed I guess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is the Appstore build number indeed 12A269?

eames
May 9, 2009

15 minutes into the ML experience, I already have two questions:

1. Is there any news on the Powernap feature? I don’t see it mentioned anywhere, so I assume we have to wait for an EFI update to enable it.

2. How the heck do I stop the obnoxious password-saving prompts in Safari?

eames fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 11, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's there but only supported on a small number or models. For example, it shows up for my 2011 Air, but not my 2010 iMac.

Interesting. So it’s out there, just not enabled for all (supposedly supported?) machines.
I have ML on this mid-2011 13" MBA and see no such option, although System Preferences highlights the Energy Saver prefpane when I search for "Power Nap".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

geonetix posted:

I read somewhere, I think on The Verge, that it's only enabled on the retina MBP and 2012 macbook airs. Maybe that's a "safety" margin in there, and perhaps you bought your air earlier than SWSP?

I don’t think so, since the minimum system requirements for Power Nap were changed from "all flash-based Macs" to "2010 Macbook Air" in the developer preview to "mid-2011 Macbook Air" in the release version. This is a mid-2011.

See: http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

An EFI update seems like the most plausible explaination for this. SWSP, what Boot ROM/SMC version numbers do you have in your system information?

eames
May 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Right. That's why I said "small number of models." Also the latter ensures the former.

Thank you. Looks like your System Managment Controller (part of EFI) is updated.
I have the (officially) latest 1.73f63, yours is 1.73f64.

That might also be the reason why my developer MBA (2010) died a sudden death after it completely ran out of battery. Wrong EFI for the OS, who knows.

PS: You probably want to crop/edit that screenshot to hide your Serial and UUID. :tinfoil:

eames
May 9, 2009

The Macbook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.6 for the mid 2011 model just appeared in my Software Update and enables Power Nap. :woop:
I’m really just excited for the overnight TM backups while the computer is closed.

e:fb

eames
May 9, 2009

Mikey-San posted:

To conserve power, Time Machine will complete one backup in Power Nap and then wait for the next full system wake before "resetting" to its regular schedule. It won't perform backups all night long for no reason.

The idea here is that you can come home, plug in your MacBook, and not have to open it up and leave it fully awake in order for your day's work to get backed up. Another win scenario is that you can work all day, and not have to remember to run a backup before shutting the lid and walking off.

That’s perfect and one of the main reasons why I was looking forward to Mountain Lion, since I never use my MBA long enough to complete a backup via WLAN at home.
My last one was over 150GB, so I simply turned off TM for the last three months because I didn’t care enough to leave the laptop open over night.
(I use SuperDuper every weekend, that was good enough for me)

eames
May 9, 2009

I miss the "battery time remaining" indicator in the menu bar. Sure, it was never accurate, but it allowed me to estimate the current battery draw amperage with a simple glance to the menu bar. :(

eames
May 9, 2009

SuperDuper really saved my bacon today. I upgraded my Server/HTPC to Mountain Lion and the machine unexpectedly rebooted during installation, effectively making the drive useless.

Fortunately, when I set up the machine ages ago, I configured SuperDuper to do a weekly copy to a diskimage on my NAS. I honestly didn’t expect it to work, but it did.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

10 times faster, better and more reliable than the mess that is Time Machine, especially over Wi-Fi (which yesterday declared all my old MBA backups as useless).

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m genuinely curious if anyone in this thread has Time Machine working reliably over WiFi with a (Mountain) Lion Server Mac as the backup target.

So far Time Machine in ML has trashed my complete backup history from back to September 2010 and now happily saturates my WiFi connection day and night if I let it. My SSD in this machine is 256GB large and time machine wants to back up 385GB of it (and then even more when it closes in on that number)

You should think there is a way to recover all the old backups? Hah, you wish.

Do I need to buy a Time Capsule or is Time Machine just that flipping useless over WiFi?
Thank god for SuperDuper.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 22, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

In light of the current 0-day Java vulernability, here’s how to temporarily disable it on Mac OS X:

• Safari: Click Preferences, and then the Security tab (uncheck “Enable Java”).

• Google Chrome: Open Preferences, and then type “Java” in the search box. Scroll down to the Plug-ins section, and click the link that says “Disable individual plug-ins.” If you have Java installed, you should see a “disable” link underneath its listing.

• Firefox: Click Tools, Add-ons, and disable the Java plugin(s).

eames
May 9, 2009

Photoshop CS 6 13.0.1 won’t let me enable OpenCL on my 2012 Macbook Air.
Can somebody tell me why that is? As far as I know Ivybridge has full OpenCL support.

If somebody here uses a 2012 MBA with PS CS6 in Bootcamp, I’d love to know if that version has OpenCL enabled.

eames
May 9, 2009

My 2012 Macbook Air showed a "Service Battery" message in the dock menu after upgrading 10.8.3.
The battery has 283 cycles, so I did an SMC reset and the warning is gone again. Hope it’s not a sign of things to come.

eames
May 9, 2009

Upgraded and uuuugh, I miss the 2D Dock so much.

eames
May 9, 2009

Uuuh, did iTunes lose the option to sync the Addresses, Bookmarks, Calendars and other things to iOS locally?

The option seems gone and I’m not a huge fan of iCloud. Maybe it’s just a bug because I couldn’t find anything about this in the news.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just finished reading the Siracusa-review. That MBA battery chart is completely unbelievable. :stare:

(link)

//edit: a wild retina-sized image appears! and I have no idea how to get rid of it. help please?

eames fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 23, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

Apple posted:

It’s no coincidence that Apple’s support site doesn’t have downloads for the new Aperture, iWork, and iLife updates. They aren’t in our Software Update system either – and there’s a good reason for that. With Mavericks, we have changed the way we distribute updates for legacy versions of our apps

Rather than maintain separate updates for these in addition to the Mac App Store versions of each app, Apple has decided to eliminate their legacy software update system for apps entirely. Instead, when Mavericks discovers legacy apps installed on your Mac, it provisions them as a Mac App Store purchase using your Apple ID. It saves us a lot of time, effort, and bandwidth. After the provision is complete, it will appear in your Mac App Store history as though you have purchased the Mac App Store version of the app.

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.
source

TLDR; happy :filez:, Apple does not care.

e:fb. sorry, I missed the posting above.

eames
May 9, 2009

rpop posted:

Sucks that Apple doesn't understand the concept of GM though.

No, I think the problem is that many "enthusiast" end-users don’t understand the concept and purpose of a beta program. :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

There CAN be ill effects if you plug a lower wattage adapter into a machine that requires a higher wattage than what the adapter can provide.

I’ve always wondered what those ill effects would look like.

Running a first-gen rMBP at 100% GPU and CPU TDP with full screen brightness will slowly drain the battery even though it is plugged to a 85W charger.

Surely connecting a 45W charger to an idle rMBP would be the same as connecting a 85W charger to a machine running at 50% GPU/CPU TDP. :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any software that will let me mirror folders from iCloud Drive into Dropbox?

You could maybe symlink them with "ln -s"?

eames
May 9, 2009

In your opinion is 8GB RAM (no SSD for fast swapping) enough for 1-tab-Safari/Word/Outlook and VMware Fusion running one instance of Windows 10 running a light business application? I'm thinking of a 5/3GB split.

One of the PCs in our small business was just hit with another case of Ransomware (PEBKAC, no sane amount of firewalling/attachment filtering would have helped) so I'm planning to replace that machine with a base 2.6 Ghz Mac Mini. Wish I could wait until October but I can't.

I know that 4GB on my old MBA still feels very usable but that has a reasonably modern SSD.

eames
May 9, 2009

I started using Arq on OS X a few months ago and highly recommend it. It backs up my most important files once per day to three different machines via ssh and my not so important files (music, photos) to a ~cloud service~. It's super solid so far, I've restored multiple file without problems.
Most importantly it doesn't seem to break silently and for no reason. Set it up once and it just does it's thing.
It's also polished enough to provide options like throttling the CPU usage or automatically pausing backups when the machine runs on battery.

My Time Machine backups to my mac mini seemed to get corrupted at least twice a year. I would go weeks without a current backup because I didn't have the time to jump through the hoops in order to fix the corrupted disk image and keep my old backup history.

Daily Arq backups and occasional Superduper clones to an external drive is what I'd recommend to anyone with OS X.

eames
May 9, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

Most likely. I personally wouldn't trust software like that to be using effective encryption and to be supported for years to come. Use a password manager, use two factor authentication (but not SMS), and don't put documents on Dropbox unless you don't have a problem with others possibly seeing it.

I think the last bit is the most important one.
People tend to forget that there's a very high chance that today's strong encryption will be broken in the blink of an eye by future technology.

Once you upload your data to a cloud service you have zero control over where that data goes.

If you use cloud services then you should be cool with some future guy finding all your photos/data/phone backup/1password keychain on a carelessly wiped server drive on ebay and him being able to read all of it on his quantum computer. :tinfoil:

eames
May 9, 2009

Violator posted:

My dad asked me to help him install an SSD to replace the stock hard drive in his 2009 MBP. He ordered one of those OWC kits that has the SSD, tools, and external case so we should have all of the hardware taken care of.

Any advice for copying the content of his current boot drive to the new one? It looks like I just have to launch SuperDuper, set it to copy from OLD to NEW, and that's it? They suggest rebooting and holding shift to prevent startup items from launching. Maybe I'm just too old now, but I don't have to reboot into a special mode in order to copy system processes that are in use or anything? It almost seems too easy. :O

I'm super excited for him. It's a really old machine, but I think the SSD will knock his socks off.

Yes it should be as easy as that.

Word of warning: I also ordered and installed an SSD in my fathers old MBP (850 EVO in a 15" 2011 I believe). Cloning from the internal HDD to the USB-connected SSD worked fine but the machine won't boot with the SSD connected to the internal SATA port. The boot progress bar just freezes. Tried multiple clones and even a clean install. It will boot fine with the SSD attached via USB.

The logs of the failed boot attempts just show lots of unspecific I/O errors.

Googling suggests that the SATA cables in some earlier unibody MBP models were very flaky and SSDs might be more sensitive than the old HDD in that regard. I've ordered a new cable and am fairly confident that this should fix the issue.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd like to reinstall OS X on my old, secondary 17" MBP after dropping a blank SSD into it. Sierra doesn't support this machine.

Is there a place where I can download old OS X installers directly from Apple, their CDN or another trusted source?

edit: found it in the App Store -> Purchased tab

eames fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 1, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

I just found a nice way to watch youtube videos with the new PiP feature in Sierra, not sure if this is common knowledge:

Open youtube.com in safari, rightclick the tab and pin it because the PiP video will stop playing when you close the tab.

Visit the video/playlist you want to watch. Double rightclick the youtube video to get the "hidden" light grey safari context menu and choose "Enter Picture-in-Picture". Move and resize the window. Done. :eng101:

eames
May 9, 2009

rally posted:

You can also just hold option and maximize the window.

or double-click a corner of a window

eames
May 9, 2009

binarysmurf posted:

Quick question:

If I clone an SSD of a 2012 iMac running Sierra and then restore that clone to a brand new 2015 iMac also running the same version of Sierra, will it work?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

10.12.2 also includes a pragmatic fix for the battery life concerns of new MBP owners.

Well played.