Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

eames posted:

I miss the "battery time remaining" indicator in the menu bar. Sure, it was never accurate, but it allowed me to estimate the current battery draw amperage with a simple glance to the menu bar. :(

Wait, so what's there instead? Just nothing?

e: Went to apple's website to look at some screen caps... yeah I'm gonna miss that too. :( But I'll probably hold off a couple months on getting ML, especially since Facebook integration doesn't even come till autumn. And isn't all this notification stuff what Growl is for anyway?

e2: vvv Ah, in that case, I can live with that. I actually prefer the percentage to the time remaining option.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
OK, so *what* exactly is the deal with scrolling? I'm on a late 2009 MacBook and I don't plan on switching from Chrome to Safari if that's relevant. I really wanna try all the cool new stuff in ML but the scrolling issue is what's putting me off so far.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Things I learned about from this thread today:

— Three finger click=dictionary definition
    — SALR for Chrome :iia:
    — ML's Notifications suck

I think I'm going to cave and buy it today anyway. Dictation and the new German, Spanish and Chinese definition dictionaries are what's reeling me in. And apparently Dictation works with some foreign languages as well, can't wait to try this out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shin-chan posted:

Yes, when we want what we pasted to be identical to what we copied. It's a 50/50 tossup for me when I'm copying and pasting.

Here are two different methods for changing Paste and Match Style to the default.

Make 'paste and match style' the default behavior

How to make "Paste and Match Style the *default* for Command-V

Also as suggested in those articles, make sure you bind regular Paste back to something as well (maybe Shift -Opt-Command-V).

Thank you for this!

Martytoof posted:

Actually the most annoying thing is that Paste and Match isn't a standard part of the right click context menu. Why? Who knows.

Looking forward to seeing this added in OS X Ocelot....or whatever they're gonna call 10.9.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Thoom posted:

Oh gently caress, Mountain Lion supports animated gifs in QuickLook natively.

Well, there's my "never ever going back" feature for this release.

I'm not sure but I think Lion did it too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I've got this in my top menu bar:

and I'm not sure what it is. The only thing in the drop-down menu for it when I click on it is "Sync Now". Any ideas?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Ah, ok, thanks. Wish they could put an extra option in there like "Settings..." or something.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Am I the only one whose Dashboard is full of stuff? I actually use it all the time. Here's a screencap.

Click here to view the full image

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm just personally not a fan of Alfred, I tried it and couldn't get into it. Same with Growl. I also tried out menumeters and just still preferred having those stats in the Dashboard. I also prefer the Dashboard calculator to the OS X app.

So really it's just a matter of preference I guess. :)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So about two days ago I was careless while transporting my laptop charger and crammed it into my messenger bag and pulled it out later to see this:

Is this fixable? Could a fruit stand fix this for me for less than the cost of a new charger, i.e., less than $80?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TACD posted:

Is your adapter the older T style (with a white end) or the newer L style (with a silver end)?

This is kind of treading a moral grey area so I don't exactly want to condone this, but there is a power adapter replacement program for T style adapters only with 'strain relief' near the MagSafe end.

Since I don't have any experience splicing cables myself, I think I will definitely keep this in mind when I go to the apple store tomorrow, even though I have the newer L cable. If they don't do it, then I'll call around to some other computer repair shops and see if they'll fix it for less than the cost of a new charger.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Holy cow.

I'm in the apple store right now and not only did they replace my charger for free, but they also replaced the rubber mat underneath my late 2009 MacBook which had been warped from playing Civ 5 on my bed (that is, not on a hard surface) except they insisted that it wasn't my fault and that everything was covered by some obscure policy they have on those models that's effective regardless of my warranty, which had long run out.

Best Apple Store experience ever. And I didn't even have AppleCare.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

House Louse posted:

I've got a 2009 MacBook running Leopard. I'm a terrible Luddite and only learned about upgrading OS recently; is it worth doing for a computer this old? I only really use it for word processing/Internet, although it tends to overheat when I play a video longer than a few minutes.

I'd just do it because it's relatively cheap. My late-09 MacBook came with Snow Leopard so everything's downloaded fine from the App Store. I like full-screen apps.

e: I hope you have more than 2 gigs of RAM in that thing. When I upgraded to 4 gigs it was like I had a whole new computer.