Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

QWERTTY posted:

Any help with this?

To fix this open up a terminal and cd to the directory containing the Storage folder and run

chflags nohidden Storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

You must sign into the Apple Store with the account you purchased Lion with before the install starts. Hello Mac OS X Product Activation.

What method did you use to create your bootable dvd? I've done it burning InstallESD.dmg and it hasn't asked me for any details yet.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
For anyone having problems with AFP on their NAS being too old, Apple has now posted a KB Document with steps to lower the security of the AFP Client so you can connect to your NAS
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Did dragging change in Lion? What I am trying to do is double-tap an icon, but except for releasing on the second tap, dragging instead. That's how I dragged things in Snow Leopard, but it doesn't seem to work now. I found "three fingers to drag" in System Preferences, but, what? Is that the new way of doing things?

I feel like I'm learning to walk again. :(

If you go to System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad options you should have the option to enable dragging with or without drag lock, I'm using this at the moment and it allows me to double-tap to drag just like Snow Leopard did.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

El Jackalope posted:

Luckily he has a time machine backup. My question is: how does he restore the old emails from the Time Machine, and after that, where are they located so he can back them up on a DVD?

This should be a simple case of opening mail.app, select the inbox then enter time machine from the menu bar

It'll then allow you to select messages to restore just as if you were restoring files, I've used this feature before and have to say it's a lifesaver.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Mikey-San posted:

Can you describe what you mean by "nuked my backups"?

Not sure what happened with his, but with mine it clobbered my Time Machine backups

It's still using as much disk space as before, but I don't have access to backups any further back than the day I installed lion, I previously had time machine backups going all the way to december 2010

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Mikey-San posted:

It sounds like you mean they're not showing up in the Time Machine interface. Yeah? Can you see them in Finder by browsing the Backups.backupdb folder? Are you backing up to a Time Capsule/AFP server, or a locally attached disk?

yeah that sounds about right, I'm backing up to a Time Capsule.

I've got a backup of my Time Machine backups on a USB drive which work fine when i use "Browse another time machine disk"

I'm restoring from the USB HDD to the Time Capsule now, but it has hours to go.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I wish I'd posted before I'd started now. because I have already wiped the time capsule to make room for my copy on the hdd since the Time Capsule was already full.

I was able to perform backups without any issue at all, so it's got me beat as to why my earlier backups were unavailable.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Mikey-San posted:

How long did you wait after the Time Machine UI came up, before you gave up? In Lion, the Time Machine UI doesn't always need to wait for the Time Capsule's backups to be available; in some scenarios, the UI can come up immediately and the Time Capsule's tick marks will pulse in the timeline until those backups are reachable.

oh god, you know you're probably on to something there. I don't think I waited very long for it to load. I don't remember seeing any pulsing but I can't be sure.

I bet when I checked it out it was only displaying local snapshots rather than the Time Capsule backups.

I bet I'm now wasting hours for nothing,

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Another thing that is annoying me about lion, is that I now only have the choice of right clicking using two fingers, or right clicking using the bottom right of the trackpad with a physical click. in Snow Leopard you could have both methods enabled at the same time.

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

edit: I've also noticed that programs deleted from the Applications folder do NOT get removed from the Launchpad. That has a lot of potential to get really annoying, especially since you can't remove dead links from the launchpad.

I've found that If you don't empty the trash it'll stay in Launchpad, but once you empty trash it is removed.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Got my Time machine backups copied across and it's working brilliantly now, thanks Mikey-San

Bob Morales posted:

So, how do you get the 'route all traffic over VPN' to work right? I'm connecting to a m0n0wall, and with Windows it works fine.

For some reason, it hasn't ever worked the way I believe it should. to have all traffic routed through the VPN you'll need to use the "Set Service Order" option in the network preferences and drag the VPN all the way to the top.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

vlack posted:

Interesting point... This PDF is an example of one that seems to always download no matter what, so maybe you're right.

Yeah, I've had a look and the reason for this is that the server is specifying the content-type of that document as "application/octet-stream" rather than "application/pdf"

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Peven Stan posted:

Just got that there Macbook Pro Retina. Loving it so far but I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do a system migration from my old whitebook than trying to do it on wifi.

Since the FireWire adapter isn't out yet, I'd recommend purchasing the Thunderbolt Gigabit dongle.

At least the gigabit adapter might come in handy later on and If you're not near a switch you can just run the ethernet cable from one macbook to another.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
After mounting the drive on each mac, go to Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and drag the mounts there, and it'll automatically reconnect on login.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I use Mail.app for my personal mail and Thunderbird for my work email.

The issues I can see with Mail.app for some are the fact that you have to do some hacky poo poo to get a html signature, and I'm not sure if it's just me but every time my macbook goes to sleep, Mail.app stops working and tells me it can't connect to the server.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
OSX installs all of the kexts by default so you should be able to just put your other hdd in without issue, providing that the version of OSX on the drive supports your iBook.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
It is a software issue, start it up and begin holding cmd-v when you hear the chime.

This will boot into Verbose mode, and it should tell you exactly what is causing the error.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is the launchpad screwed up on Mavericks?

Whenever I try to swipe across pages it no longer snaps at a certain point, just sits there hanging halfway between the two pages.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

DigitalRaven posted:

Except that estimate has always been total bullshit on Skylake processors.

So fix it, or remove it only for skylake & newer, it's always been accurate on my Late 2013 Macbook.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

I recently re-built a gaming rig for shits and giggles and, along with Windows 10, threw Arch on a partition just to see how far Linux has come in the 10 years since I actively used it on the desktop. Long story short: it still suuuuuuuuuucks as a desktop OS. I know there aren't all that many of us that use OS X because it's unix w/ a pretty UI, but jesus christ I am not optimistic about what the future holds for us.

Linux on the desktop will never not suck, but Arch is probably the worst distribution you could use to try it out.

I really hate how things are going re: macs, I use a Mac because it's great for linux sysadmin/development stuff too. my next laptop will probably be a Thinkpad or a Dell XPS but I shudder at the thought of using linux in the desktop environment.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
They last a few hours on battery, have no USB ports (and don't even throw in a dongle), removed the battery gauge instead of fixing it (probably because they are all concentrating on iOS and didn't want to spend the time on OS X), they have already begun to suck.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
https://panic.com/blog/stolen-source-code/

If anyone's downloaded handbrake recently you might've gotten some nasty malware, but we totes don't need AV guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

AV in the traditional sense wouldn't protect against that sort of thing though... It could help remove it after the fact, but it wouldn't have prevented it in the first place.

That's a load of crap, av with heuristics might have picked it up, or even something like little snitch would say "hey your computer is trying to connect to Russia"