Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Hey there I think maybe some of you can help me, I just received a PowerMac Performa 6400/180 from 1996, the thing is working wonderfully hardware-wise, HOWEVER (there's always one) it's running a broken install of Mac OS 8.5.1 (boot but it's missing a lot of system files, it seems I can't read HFS+ formatted CDs burned from my Macbook running Lion). I would love to downgrade to 7.6.1, however I can't really transfer files to it as Apple dropped support for HFS Standard in OS X for a few versions... Assuming I have the required files for installation of 7.6, how can I transfer files to the Performa 6400?

I tried booting of a Network Access 7.5 Floppy, but the Performa 6400 can't boot from it. It also seems I can't transfer any files by CD using ISO 9660, as every files comes off corrupted (error type -39)

I have access to:

MacBook Pro running Lion
PC with Windows 7 64bit
PC with Windows 98SE
PC with MS-DOS 6.22

Note that I have a USB floppy drive.

Thanks to people who can help me with my antiquated question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Olivil posted:

Hey there I think maybe some of you can help me, I just received a PowerMac Performa 6400/180 from 1996, the thing is working wonderfully hardware-wise, HOWEVER (there's always one) it's running a broken install of Mac OS 8.5.1 (boot but it's missing a lot of system files, it seems I can't read HFS+ formatted CDs burned from my Macbook running Lion). I would love to downgrade to 7.6.1, however I can't really transfer files to it as Apple dropped support for HFS Standard in OS X for a few versions... Assuming I have the required files for installation of 7.6, how can I transfer files to the Performa 6400?

I tried booting of a Network Access 7.5 Floppy, but the Performa 6400 can't boot from it. It also seems I can't transfer any files by CD using ISO 9660, as every files comes off corrupted (error type -39)

I have access to:

MacBook Pro running Lion
PC with Windows 7 64bit
PC with Windows 98SE
PC with MS-DOS 6.22

Note that I have a USB floppy drive.

Thanks to people who can help me with my antiquated question.

Managed to add HFS support to Lion using MacFuse and fusehfs, transferred the 19 7.5.3 system files to the Performa, made a disktool2 bootable floppy, tried to install 7.5.3, says the installer is not compatible. I know I need the System Enabler 410 v1.1 (which I have, and I transferred it to the Performa) however does any one know if it's possible to ''add'' a system enabler to the installer or force the installation, I'll add the system enabler to the system folder through the boot floppy?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I just made the switch completely, had a MBP and a Windows desktop that I replaced by an iMac 27 inch.

I was simply wondering if there was a way to get xbox controller support in games that support it. I don't really want to mess with games that don't I just want the game to recognized the game pad. It's wired if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Edit: found EXACTLY what I was looking for, just install this and restart.

Edit 2: Actually, while it does makes the controller works, software won't recognize it as an Xbox Controller, so you have to remap controls manually. Not a big deal but it would be nice to make it work that way. And since the triggers on the controller are treated as axis (they're analog) well, they're recognized by the driver but not by the game.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 1, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

My Mid 2010 Macbook Pro came with Snow Leopard, which I upgraded to Lion, which means there is no recovery partition.

If I boot off a DVD made from Lion install files and perform a clean install, will this partition the drive with a bootable recovery partition like Macs that comes with Lion preinstalled?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Yeah thinking about it I had some trouble installing Lion due to my partition table, had a Linux partition and it messed things up. Thanks for the link, I'll look into it! :)

Holding CMD-R at startup does nothing. Is there another way to get the partition other than a clean install?

Olivil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 3, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

You Am I posted:

Hold down the Option key and see which bootable partitions appear

It's not, I'll probably reinstall, I've never done a Time Machine restore before, but after installation, will I be able to restore specific apps or will it just restore EVERYTHING?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Tippis posted:

It comes with an optional install package for a poo poo-ton of printers, but it only seems like it install maybe a poo poo-kilo of them by default.

Where can I get this?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Anybody else having crashes in MplayerX? Especially when changing focus, it seems way more unstable than VLC.

My eye candy :(

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I just switched back to VLC after at least 8 months of MPlayerX because it shut down on me at least a hundred times now, both on my iMac and my MBP..

This seems to happen mostly on shared HD videos on my LAN, either I will change focus or skip something by clicking on the timeline and it will just close itself.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I'm constantly switching between 2 output devices in the Audio MIDI Setup (built-in speakers and headset through an iMic). Is there something in the menu bar that I can simply click to switch the default output device?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Yes, hold down Option on the keyboard and click on the volume meter in your menu bar.

This is perfect, thanks!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

This is half mac half android but I'll still ask.

What would be the best way to share a Volume full of .mkv and .avi to play on my android phone over Wi-Fi?
I don't really care if it's streaming or simply sharing the files, I simply want to play the videos from my hard drive on my cellphone without transferring them.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

knucklehead posted:

This is late but the answer is http://www.plexapp.com

This is great, thanks!

Can also stream music. :)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Why did they change the clickable cursor in safari? :(

What else did they ruin? WHAT ELSE?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

duep posted:

Hey guys,
I need gmake on my 10.7.3.
I know it's included in Xcode, however Xcode also installs 4Gb worth of junk that I will never use as well.
If I'm not mistaken, there is another gmake distribution for OSX out there, though I cannot remember the name.
Would one of you happen to know where I can find it?

Install MacPorts and

$ sudo port selfupdate
$ sudo port install gmake

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

duep posted:

MacPort comes precompiled. And gmake did it's job very well.

Great if it worked! MacPorts is pretty great whenever you need something Apple "forgot" to package in OS X (like cowsay).

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I had a problem with adding mp3 in iTunes today, said I didn't have the permission to write on Macintosh HD. I repaired the permissions in Disk Utility, it repaired a couple of thing, but I still had the problem.

I then tried a couple of things before finding the solution was to simply apply my permission to ~/Music/ to enclosed items. (Still don't know why that broke) All is well, but now I'm having problems with some apps. Dropbox is asking me for permissions everytime I log in, and fails to sync. Sparrow will always tell me I have 1 unread email, BootChamp asks my password and then tells me it couldn't change the boot volume to my Windows partition. I tried to uninstall all these using AppCleaner and reinstall, but to no avail...

What can I do to reset my permissions? I have a Time Machine backup but it's not a complete backup so I'd like to fix it as opposed to a restore..

EDIT: Solved my Dropbox issue by creating a new account, installing dropbox, and closing that account. (????)

Same with the BootChamp issue. It seems it's a problem with helpers, like, in my account the apps don't seem to have the permissions to create them or something. How to fix that?

Is there a way to say, give this account the same rights as this other account?

Just found out I can't install anything from the Mac App Store (Unknown Error)

Olivil fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

priznat posted:

I have the same problem after doing the 10.7.3 combo update. My iTunes library is on a NAS and it won't let me download apps anymore and gives me that error. I tried the apply all contained permissions thing in finder but I don't know if I can use disk utility to repair permissions on a network drive? I will try it out when I get home. Or would doing a chmod -r a+rw on /volumes/media/iTunes also work?

Quite sure you can do it on any mounted partition. You could also try diskutil repairpermissions /volumes/media/iTunes but I guess that will do the same as the button in the pretty menu.

As for my problem, backed up what wasn't backed up by my time machine and restoring to yesterday, my account permissions are hosed.

edit: Talking about 10.7.3 annoyances, anybody can fullscreen in VLC 1.2.0rc1? Since the update it's broken.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 12, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

TACD posted:

Disk Utility actually doesn't touch your home folder permissions. For those, you need to boot off your Recovery partition (assuming you're using Lion), go to Utilities > Terminal, type 'resetpassword' and in the window that appears you can choose your user account and hit 'Reset'.

If you're using Snow Leopard you'll need the install disc.

I did this, and it didn't help.

For the record what I had to do was to right click on ~/Music/, choose Get Info, be sure my permissions are what they should be, then click Apply to enclosed items. It worked but still asked me for the root password to move stuff to trash, only in my ~/Music/ folder, so I did a sudo chown -R $USER ~/.Trashes

No issues anymore..

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Yes, this is the issue

osx daily posted:

Macs that are NOT expected to support OS X Mountain Lion
Older Macs and those with weaker GPU’s will likely be left behind:

Anything with an Intel GMA 950 or x3100 integrated graphics card
Anything with an ATI Radeon X1600
MacBook models released prior to 2008
Mac Mini released prior to 2007
iMac models released prior to 2007
Original MacBook Air

Olivil fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 17, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Torael_7 posted:

Is this just a "developers don't port things over very well" sort of thing?

Don't forget most games aren't ported by the original development studio but by porting companies (Aspyr for instance), and honestly, most of their ports are bad.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Can I install 10.8 in its own partition?

So that way I can play with it but not mess with my lion install?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I think the idea is to unify the first party apps for the user.

it also makes sense if they're synced through iCloud, instead of enabling "Sync between iCal and Calendars" you'll enable "Sync Calendars" and you'll have the same thing presented in the same way on your 2 different platform.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Is there a DownThemAll alternative for safari?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I'd recommend Alfred too, switched from quicksilver when it was still in beta and I've yet to be disappointed.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Tippis posted:

I never came across any compelling reason to go for Alfred over Quicksilver — what tipped you over?

Quicksilver was wonky with Lion at first, it's not a problem anymore, but I never switched back.

Bought the Power Pack too.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I need to work on a project with someone using Visio 2010. Is there a compatible alternative for the mac? Or is the best solution to install a VM with Visio?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Cyne posted:

OmniGraffle can import and export Visio files, but it's been a while since I've used it so I'm not sure how current its support is. Definitely worth checking out though.

yep this does the job, thanks

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

chimz posted:

That book is really old, and only useful if you want to do super low level stuff with OS X. A better choice would be Advanced Mac OS X Programming.

I didn't read this book however I read some of The Big Nerd Ranch books, and they've all been excellent, so I recommend buying this!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Love InterfaceLift, another wallpaper source I love is Wallbase

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Neurophonic posted:

It's part of the developer tools package on the disc in Lion. As of Mountain Lion, it's a download.

Pretty sure they're dropping support of Apple maintained X11 in favour of the community maintained XQuartz for Mountain Lion

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Fren posted:

It's probably the first-worldiest thing ever that I would just buy TotalFinder if they were Safari-style tabs and not Chrome-style.

You could try emailing the dev, you never know...

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Martytoof if you need software for OS9 and "other stuff", you can always try MacintoshGarden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I have no experience at all but I heard single-G5 computers run better with 10.4 than 10.5.